Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
3.46/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.06/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Picked up a six-pack of this on my last trip to Kroger. Poured from the brown bottle into a standard pint glass. I've had three of these now (two today, one a couple days back) and the way you pour makes a BIG difference with this beer--when I poured slowly down the side there was hardly any head to the beer, but if you pour a bit more quickly into the bottom of the glass you'll get a nice layer of foam on top.

Looks: very, very clear with a golden yellowy color. I can see not just shapes but small details and colors through a full glass--it's clear enough to read my phone's clock through it. Occasional little bubbles rising up. If you pour in such a way that a good head forms (which I would definitely recommend!), the head is white and fluffy, shrinking to a thin layer on top within a few minutes and then eventually fading away almost entirely if you wait long enough (probably takes upwards of half an hour--my first one of the night didn't get to this point until after I was done with my meal and the beer was almost gone.) Head leaves a bit of a trail behind on the sides of the glass, but not massive amounts.

Smells biscuity for the most part, but when the head is present it's easier to pick up on hints of a grassy smell which I assume is coming from the hops. There's a bit of something else present too, becoming more noticeable than the grassy smell as the beer takes time to warm a little and the head fades, but I'm having difficulty coming up with a way to describe it--I almost want to say it reminds me a bit of champagne but it's been a while since I've had any champagne so I'm not sure that's the most accurate comparison.

Taste is very much like a freshly-baked biscuit, maybe a bit cracker-like here and there too. That almost-champagne-like smell appears in the taste a bit too as the beer warms, blending together pretty nicely with the biscuity taste. It almost makes me think of raisins at some points, but more like those yellowish ones rather than the standard dark black-brown-purplish kind. Goes very well with food, too--my first glass accompanied some cheese tortellini with garlicky tomato sauce and not once did I feel like there was even the slightest bit of clash between the beer and the food.

Feels really nice to drink this while there's still a good bit of head floating on top. Not bad without it, either--it's a beer that goes down very easily either way, almost to the point where you may find yourself thinking "wait, I've already finished half my glass!?"--but definitely nicer with the foam still present. The first time I had one, it seemed like it kinda dried my mouth out; I'm noticing a bit of that now, though not as much as when I had my first one this weekend (I suppose the fact that I just ate may help with that.) If not for that one minor complaint I'd probably give this a 4 for feel, maybe even higher if rating exclusively on how it feels to take that first big sip while there's still a lot of foam on top (I can't say this enough--I definitely recommend pouring this beer in a way that forms a large head, it seems to improve things all-around somehow.)

Overall, this is a really nice beer to have with a meal (and it's good enough, and light enough, that you may very well decide to have more after your food's long gone. If not for the fact that I only have half a six-pack left in my fridge, I honestly could go for a third one right now.) I'd say it's definitely worth the price for the 6 and 12 packs that you can easily find in grocery stores. At first I was a bit disappointed to not pick up any lemony flavors here like I did in the other pilsner I've tried (Bohemia), but after having a couple more of them I don't think the absence of lemony flavors hurts this too much--there's just so much else going for it (especially the clearly defined biscuit/cracker flavors and the way it feels to drink some when the foam's still hanging around on top.)

3.39/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As a boy growing up in Alberta, I believed that Pilsner was a beer brewed in Lethbridge, with bunnies on the label. I also thought that Labatt Blue was a Pilsner. During my first year of university, this beer redefined my understanding of pilsner and it
is still a standard for this style of beer. Clear, lively, and accented by hops, this is still a quality beer.

3.71/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.45/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.33/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.16/5  rDev -11.5%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

500ml can into a tall pilsner or weizen glass. no idea. bottom of the can reads "09.07.15", enjoyed on december 17, 2014

a: classic pils look. the colour is a deep, golden yellow, and it's so clear that i can type my review with this glass of beer in front of my eyes

s: cracker-like malts, honey, grains, grass, floral aromas

t: follows the nose. crackery, grainy, and hoppy in the front, mellowing out to a grassy mid-palate with sweet touches of honey. finishes mildly bitter with lingering malty grainy notes, and flashes of lemon.

m: light-plus body, medium-ish carbonation. light but not watery. great stuff

o: the original pilsner beer. so tasty and clean. please try this if you haven't already

The best pilsner in the world.

4.71/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Enter your review…(optional) really means optional

2.48/5  rDev -30.5%

3.5/5  rDev -2%

3.5/5  rDev -2%

3.75/5  rDev +5%

Golden cloudy like the summer sun on the fields on a humid day. Nice hop aroma and slightly bitter, pours nicely and you can limit the head. What American beer should taste like.

3.25/5  rDev -9%

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.