Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros

3.44/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.44/5  rDev -3.4%

Not much head to this light-colored beer and it had kind of a hoppy wheat smell. At first, it had a slightly skunked taste...but the more I drank, it went down smoother, with a sweet aftertaste. Overall it was very drinkable. You could definitely down these pretty quickly..the hoppy smell is misleading as it is a very light, smooth brew.

3.44/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a nice deep gold almost amber. Head didn't last too long and had hardly any lacing.

S: Smells very yeasty and bready. Little note of hops and light malts.

T: Tastes of yeast and grain. The Malt is on the light side. Not much of a note of hops. It's also kind of sweet tasting

M: Mouthfeel is crisp and dry. Meduim/light bodied. Goes down pretty smooth. It has a medium carbonation

D: I probably wouldn't drink this one too often, but its not something i would tell people to avoid. I think it would be a nice brew to drink sittin outside on a nice warm day.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

I have had this beer before, but never reviewed it. It poured out of it's 24 oz. bottle a gold color with a fairly large white head. Has the czech pilsner taste that I don't quite know how to describe. Good amount of hops finishing, with almost a tinge of skunkiness.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

There isn't much more that can be said about this beer that you can't read in earlier reviews. It pours a deep golden color and has a yeasty, bready nose that reminds me of spring for some reason. It has a pleasantly crisp taste that finishes with the slightest hint of hoppy bitterness. This is a session beer that does its job of providing you with a tasty beer that wont blow you away, but at least keep your interest til the last drop.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

The colour is pale yellow; the beer gives a fizzing sound when poured. The two finger head is white and airy. Minimal lacing occurs.

The smell is buttery and bitter (quite bitter, in fact). Some hints of boiled vegetables and minerals.

The taste is fresh with a fine bitter hoppyness: Mild notes of butter and vegatables. Bitter fruits and a hint of white bread. The aftertaste is dry with a distinct (but not dominant) bitterness, a hint of alcohol and a touch of star fruits.

The carbonation is medium, the liquid very smooth - almost thick.

A Czech pils... Somewhat bitter, clean and fresh with a touch of butter. Nice, but there are other more interesting ones out there.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Surprised I haven't reviewed this one yet as I have tried it several times in the past.

Nice clear amber yellow with lot's of fine carbonation bubbles slowly rising to the surface. Bone white head shows decent retention..so far so good.

Really wanted to write a glowing review about how good it smells, but I can't. Some of that classic Saaz hop ( extract from what I hear) comes through, but a decidedly veggie-like aroma is a put off.

Smooth, somewhat slick feel is follwed by sweet, almost earthy malt. Spicy hop dominates after that. An almost citrus crispness to it. Finish is hoppy and dry.

Pretty darn hoppy, but with a solid malt backbone. Not everyone's cup of tea b/c of the bitterness, but one I will go back to again.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance: Nice head, that seems to last forever. Clear in look, but an orange tint to the base golden color.

Aroma: floral, with a nice hit of hops. Little bit of malt beneath it all. A little weak for a pilsner, but still present.

Taste: A little watery, to be honest. Though the malt is there up front, and a bit of bitterness that hits midway, this beer seems to be more water than flavor. It's not off. Just weak.

Mouthfeel: Like I mentioned before, watery, and only little bit of carbonation. Average.

Drinkability: This beer looks better than it tastes, and even smells better than it tastes. I'm trying to put in my mind what a pilsner should taste like, but I'll be damned if I think this is the best example of one.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Welp, the granddaddy of Pilseners! Wasn’t that great, would have like to try it before they dumbed down the recipe. Nice presentation, golden amber brew topped by a white lacey head. Malty and grainy on the schnozzle, no euro skunk, thank God. Taste also had some grassy notes to it, mouth was medium with some dancing carbs on the tongue. Dry, woody finish.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a deep golden color with head that fades relatively quickly while it laces a small amount.

Smell and taste is kind of dull. Nothing extreme in this pilsner. Some crisp hop aromas. Has the traditional skunky flavors to it.

This beer has a great mouthfeel and is quite easy to drink, but it just doesn't have a lot to offer. It is very simple and I could imagine having a few of these in a night and not getting filled up.

Overall, worth a try for the style, as it is decent. But nothing I would be picking up again. I would rather stick to something craft at least.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

On tap from Paragon on San Francisco.

Pilsner, oh, pilsner, where have you gone? Once upon a time, you were the grandaddy of all pils, distinctive even in your old age. You were aromatic, bitter, dry, and made my lips pucker and brow scrunch with each effervescent quaff. But now? Now you taste just about like every average German or Czech pils on the market. For a bit, I actually thought you were Becks.

Alas, apparently even legends must fall. You're not the beer you used to be. For a better and more noteworthy pils, I'd have to recommend Czechvar/Budvar these days.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured into a Pilsner Glass...nice medium bodied head, clarity and carbonation are impressive to look at. Sweet grainy and hoppy aroma that isn't the least off-putting.

Taste is good and bready, but a little bit skunky for my taste. Definitely feels like a summer beer for me. Also, let me point out that I haven't had a lot of experience with Pilsners, so I thought I'd start with something from the origin of the style. A bit more bitter than I thought it would be, but that's not a problem, just an observation. The hoppiness I think is a bit obscured by the skunky bitterness. Softer mouthfeel, lighter, but has a nice initial tongue bite.

Still though, I don't know if this is something I'd like on a regular basis of not. Maybe someday I can try it on tap and tell you what I think...

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

A- a bright golden color with a big white foamy head and plenty of lace.

S- light ceral and corn, hops that are a little musky, and that signiture pale lager character.

T- again, a little musky but after that the hops make this work well, with the saaz characteristics of spice and floral hints, and then more cereal grain.

O- This is a beer I used to drink all the time before I was really into beer, and I really enjoy revisiting it from time to time.

3.42/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.42/5  rDev -3.9%

500 ml can. Best before 11-01-07 stamped on bottom.

A- Clear golden yellow colour with massive initial head but little effervescence. head decreases rapidly. Small particles floating in the beer making it a little cloudy. Some of these particles stuck to the glass.

S- basic pale lager beer. Mild malt and hops. Floral and grassy notes.

T- Basic crisp pale lager with decent tasting hops aftertaste. Very little malt flavour. Light. fairly pleasant overall.

MF- Light without being watery. Slightly gritty at back of throat and some pastiness. I think the gritty feel may be linked to whatever was flaoting in the beer.

D- Decent if basic beer. Nothing special but flavour and smell above most macro lagers sinc it is less bland. Not nearly worth the price this far away from its point of origine, especially with better local beers avalilable.

3.42/5  rDev -3.9%

Saw that they have a new styled can for this so I figured I'd buy a single at the NSLC. Hadn't had it in a while, but this is my first review.

Appearance: Pours a flawless golden colour wiht a moderate white head. The head diminishes very fast into basically nothing.

Aroma: Clean, sweet malts, lots of florals and some citrus.

Taste: Biscuit malt, sweet, moderate bitterness with a slight alcohol flavour. Very standard

Mouthfeel: Nice body, smooth, easy drinking.

Final Statement: Very much like standard Euro lagers, yet the best of the bunch. If you're into Heiniken or Stella on warm summer nights, then try out Pilsner Urquell. I'll continue to you buy this every so often for that particular event.

3.42/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance - Almost the definition of a light amber color. Almost no head when I poured it and has completely vanished after a few minutes.

Smell - Very earthy and grassy but I can also pick up the malts in the background behind that upfront grass smell.

Taste - Buttery, light malt on my tongue, not discerning much of any hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Feels very light on the tongue, feels a little flat while sipping on it.

Decent lager but I won't advocate for my friends to drink it.

3.41/5  rDev -4.2%

My first review of a previously reviewed beer - last time in a can, this time in one of those green bottles. Some good soul left about a dozen at my house last night... what shall I do with them all? 4.40% abv, 330mL green bottle. Best before 11.08.08. Poured into a Stella Artois gold-rimmed glass.

Appearance is rich amber, just a few bubbles, big billowy ivory white head that settles to a rocky surface, then to nothing save a light collar. Some light lacing.

Grassy nose, simple. Grains. Seems a little lifeless - soapy? Doesn't seem skunked though, phew.

Feel is a little sharp with the carbonation, but goes down smooth. Palate is a bit more sour than I remember with the canned version, still bitter on the palate, honey, bread, lemon, spice apparent. Finish is malty and pungent.

No significant differences, nose seems a lot worse on the bottled version.

3.41/5  rDev -4.2%

Just got back from Prague where I was able to drink this on draft on a regular basis. While in Prague it wasn't my favorite pilsner but very good and much different from the bottle version in the states. The bottle version first of all is not as aromatic and flavorfull. Also, it has a much different look and mouthfeel. The fiz is much sharper and the clarity is unbelivable brilliant. Worth getting but nothing like the local draft.

Best by Apr 6, 2012.

A-Pours a clear golden color with a finger and a half of white head.

S-Smells a little skunky with some light caramel notes and an earthy, herbalness.

T-Herbal hops fade into a light caramel-like malt backbone and finishes herbal almost peppery and bitter finish.

M-Slick yet prickly feel with a medium body and low to moderate carbonation.

D-A pretty solid beer, but I assumed I could avoid that kind of skunky aroma with the can. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

3.41/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Poured out an orangish yellow color with a small, white, foamy, head. No lacing.

S - It smelled of corn and grains. Also, a slightly skunky aroma.

T - It had a subtle sweetness and a light caramel malt taste. A strong bitter kick increased as the beer warmed.

M - It was very crisp and sharp. A light to medium-bodied beer.

D - This is an okay pils. I'm sure it would be better fresher or on tap.

3.41/5  rDev -4.2%

This beer pours golden/yellow with a two finger head and it leaves waves of thick lacing. The aroma is of sweet malt with hints of grassy hops. The taste was well balanced between the spicy hops and the grainy malt. It was medium bodied crisp, dry, and very refreshing.

Reflection: Why can't Miller make a beer like this? This should be the Pilsner that everyone bases their own version off of. It's a good beer but try to find it on tap, you have a 50/50 chance of the bottle being skunked.

3.41/5  rDev -4.2%

Picked up a six pack at my local Bi-Lo in Cleveland. Pours out of the bottle a golden, clear yellow. An Impressive four finger width head comes from nowhere, glad there’s some extra room in the glass. This is a pretty beer for what it is, lots of small carbonation bubbles rush for the top. Lacing clings beautifully in clumpy chunks and patches all the way down the glass.

As soon as I crack this, I’m hit by SKUNK, pretty bad, I can smell it a good foot or so away from my face. Upon closer inspection of the smell, I can detect the malts and bitter hop smell behind the skunk, but whoo-wee is it hidden behind it well.

Taste is nice, just trying not to inhale the skunk odors as I drink. Leads in mildly sweet and malty and transitions gently into an earthy, bready flavor, ever so slightly dry at the end. The hops are really subdued here. Mouthfeel is super clean, and crisp. Goes down like nothing.

Good beer, I have a feeling this may have been sitting on the shelf a long time to acquire the skunky aroma which was the only downside to an otherwise pleasurable drinking experience. This would make a nice barstool sessioner with the boys. There are other styles that attract my attention more, but this beer is perfectly serviceable.

Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.