Pilsner Urquell - Plzeňský Prazdroj

Plzeňský Prazdroj visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,375 | Hads: 3,394
1.06/5  rDev -70.8%

Quote from my fiancee: "Does 'crappy' have one or 2 p's?" That says it all. I think I had a bottle that was exposed to the light too long because the skunk smell was literally unbearable. Whatever positives in the flavor were drowned out by the horrid stench. I will have to try this one again sometime...

1.12/5  rDev -69.1%

OK, so maybe I got a skunked version of this beer, but drinking this was truly a nauseating experience. It had really bad skunky aroma, the taste was bitter and the mouthfeel made me want to puke. I would re-review this if I got a decent example, but I am not sure I ever want to lay eyes on another one of these nasty brews again. If the beer was spoiled in transit, then maybe the brewers want to rethink their bottling/distributorship/label dating. This was an awful, awful beer.

1.12/5  rDev -69.1%

I watched the movie "Somm" and they talk about "freshly opened can of tennis balls" being the big new thing in aromas. With this beer, it's more like a "freshly opened box of tennis shoes, that's been worn a few times before". Totally nasty, will not be trying this again, and likely throwing the remaining 5.5 bottles out.

1.32/5  rDev -63.6%

First had: ? (a random bar somewhere)

I'm just not a pils fan, and this is no champion among them. Pours a clear, yellow color, carbonated, with a quickly-dissipating white head. Weak grains and some grassy funk in the aroma. Weak, sweet, malts, grainy, with bitter hops that create a metallic sensation. Light bodied and not at all pleasurable to drink.

1.33/5  rDev -63.4%

Right from the bottle, this offering gave off a skunky aroma, which made me hesitate a bit on going in for a taste. When finally taking the plunge, the taste was not as skunky as the smell. After a few sips, it just tasted a bit like your average watered down pilsner. This was the first time I had this beer, so it's possible this could have been a bad batch, but from this one offering I was less than pleased.

1.36/5  rDev -62.5%

I had a 500ml can of this the other night. This was the most disgusting beer I had ever drank in my life. The taste was absolutely horrible, taste something like vinegar.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone and do not plan on drinking this beer ever again. I don't know how anyone could possibly give this beer a good review.

1.37/5  rDev -62.3%

This is an abhorrent beer. I simply do not understand how anyone could think otherwise. The only way I could possibly describe this beer is if you took some san pedro cactus tea and mixed it with some beer. The aftertaste is morally wrong and I will never forgive this company for this horrifying experience I paid them to endure. There is nothing positive to say about this beer, other than that their logo looks nice. I would only ever drink this again if it were free, and even then I would be profoundly upset to do so, and I would only ingest it in the first place because I have no self respect. I'd even rather drink fucking Tecate than this swill.

1.41/5  rDev -61.2%

I hated this beer I expected more and got shit, this beer is no better than corona, except that corona has a lime thing going on, this beer has no flavor it tastes like Someone tried steeping one kernel of barely in a five gallon pot, it has no dynamic, just water with a grainy aftertaste, I do not recommend it. Never buying this again

1.48/5  rDev -59.2%

Brilliantly clear, dark golden with brass accents, forming a poofy white head with surprisingly decent retention and very nice lacing. Carbonation is moderately strong, forming some streamers. Aroma is skunky with notes of freshly cut hay, sweet grainy malts and floral hops. Mouthfeel is soft, although decidingly NOT smooth, with a medium body and an astringent, tannic finish. Taste begins with skunky thiols, followed by a rather intense dry bitterness which continues through, and surpasses the finish, leaving the mouth with a very dry, tacky, aftertaste. There is a touch of sweet malt and corn in the middle, obscured for the most part by the skunk. The finish has very strong notes of lemon rind. I've certainly had much better pilseners, and perhaps this is good when it's not skunked, but I've had this on many, many occasions and it's always been skunked. I've even had a friend from the Czech republic bring me a bottle back home and it was just as nasty as the stuff I get locally. The fact that the beer is in green bottles is a testament that the brewery just doesn't care about it's beer. Big black mark to you, Urquell.

1.74/5  rDev -52.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Nice colour and good head that does not dye too fast.

Smell is ok, nothing special.

Taste I am not a fan of, it is neither strong/complex nor nice or refreshing.

Feel is average, carbonation at a good level...

Def not for me

1.76/5  rDev -51.5%

Appearance: A yellow-goldish appearance with a real foamy head that stays after initial drinking. Lacing was very evident.

Smell: Faint smell of hops, barley and some copper.

Taste: Carbonation at the beginning and copper at the end.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation that I was tasting reminded me of distinctively of seltzer water.

Drinkability: It was too carbonated. Did not fare well going down - it was a bit rough.

Serving type: Bottle.

1.77/5  rDev -51.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: high carbonation, clear, medium head, gold

Smell: sulphur and wheat

Taste: better than the smell, but not great. Very light wheat

Mouthfeel: light and semi-sweet

Drinkability: This hides the alcohol well. I think the smell really threw me for a loop. I think there are way better beers around and this is one I will not come back to.

1.78/5  rDev -51%

A= The pour is a nice deep golden color with a crispy white head on it that holds some decent retention and lacing.

S= Damn it skunk! It smells like skunk and rotten wood. I really wish they would do something to prevent this. I can smell the pungent skunk from a few feet away. Sort of mustardy too.

T= The taste isn't as skunky as the smell for some reason yet it is still bad. The taste is overly sweet and skunky. Luckily the sweetness takes a little of the skunk away or I would be lost. This is just too bad.

M= Clean crisp and refreshing.

D= I really wish I could have found a bottle of this that isn't skunked. I'm reviewing it because I paid for it. They should take more care into keeping this problem away.

1.81/5  rDev -50.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Severe DMS along with a metalic taste. The aroma is straight raw barley in an overpowering way. Tasted this blindly alongside heineken and corona and was shocked that this was the least favorite of the three.

1.92/5  rDev -47.1%

Had heard a lot about this ledgendary pilsner so decided to pick up a six pack upon spying it at the local Albertsons.

The appearance was average, the pour resulted in little to no head. Upon opening the first bottle I knew I had thrown away $7 as the infamous "Pepe Le Pew" smell launched into my unfortunate nostrils. The reputation of this being a pilsner with some hop action led me to try this but unfortunately I could not get enjoy any of that as the skunkiness continued to overwhelm my senses. The mouthfeel was average and the overall drinkability was just not there. If I am ever to try this again it will be in the Czech Republic straight from the brewery-no middle men shall ruin my palate for this brew again!

1.96/5  rDev -46%

Yuck. Of the European Green Bottle imports (Heine, Grolsch, St. Pauli, Beck's, etc.) this is my least favorite. Extremely bitter, tasted like a super Grolsch. The flavor and smell is so sharp that its almost overwhelming. This beer isn't all that common, and certainly not worth the effort. If you are a big fan of the Euro Green Bottles, then you might as well try it. If not, then stay away. Its not worth the fairly expensive price.

2.03/5  rDev -44.1%

I don't know what the big deal about this beer is. Its slightly above Miller Light, but why bother? Pours a fizzy yellow with a wet hay/corn smell to it. Not much to the taste... fizzy tasteless pilsner. Zero character. Why pay $5 for this at the bar?

2.06/5  rDev -43.3%

Pours a golden color, mild carbonation and not much lacing here. The body is well carbonated.

Skunked hops, earthy notes, and just plain off putting. I know pilsners are a bit off in this regard but this one is exceptionally awful.

A complex flavor of earthy hops, tomato perhaps, skunked hops, light grains, a touch of bready yeast character. There’s something here to build on, certainly decent.

The funky nature of this beer is a bit off putting but at 4.40% this one drinks rather well, it is well carbonated, and frankly easy to drink.

I have to say this is a good test of someone’s joy of American sold Euro lagers. If you like this those will be a joy. If you find the skunked flavors and odd malt finish not to your liking you can save a lot of time and effort. I’ll say this is a solid example of a style I just don’t like when put in a green bottle and shipped across the Atlantic.

2.09/5  rDev -42.4%

There was an old Monty Python joke about American beer, something about a canoe, but the point was that American beer doesn't have a very strong taste. Well, that's what I have to say about this. It's pretty doggone close to water. It barely had any aroma at all, and it didn't have much taste either.

I was at a family and friends gathering, and I figured that being knee-walking, toilet hugging drunk might make being around my family bearable so when the hostess mentioned beer, I made a bee-line to the fridge. I had one bottle of this. I realized that I'd have to drink two cases just to get a buzz so I just stopped after one bottle. It wasn't worth it.

2.14/5  rDev -41%

You get a lot of dry apple on the nose, with the malt and hay smell. It almost combines in to a sort of citrus / tomato hybrid. Not very appealing, at least to me. Crisp feel, but not much flavor outside old apple and malt. It may have once been an originator, but it certainly has been surpassed by many other pilsners.

2.15/5  rDev -40.8%

A - Yellow-goldish appearance on initial pour, medium amounts of foamy lacing appearing on the Pilsner-style glass after consumption, Very dense foamy head that settles at about the 3/4 finger mark. High carbonation.

S - Floral notes throughout, with very subtle grassy notes slowly following the initial floral notes.

T - Very malty with a slightly bitter taste for the type of beer it is, sometimes present in beers with a higher ABV%. A "dry" beer with a malty aftertaste.

M - Velvety; pleasant, albeit has "dry" aftertaste.

D - Goes down a tad rough at first but it redeems itself later the more you drink of it, and more floral notes shine through.

2.18/5  rDev -39.9%

Appearance - Rich golden hue, no head at all, with a great deal of carbonation.

Smell - Nothing special, smelled like Bud.

Taste - Lots of hop bitterness with a mild hop aftertaste. Kind of burns the tongue a little bit and the bitterness remains upto 30 seconds after sips.

Drinkability - If you're a fan of bitter beers, this drink is for you. Just a clean, crisp, bitter taste.

Reviewed 9/14/2008 (bottle):

Pours a golden honey colored body, with a big frothy snow white head. Has a very grainy smell, and also malts. Has a malty, slightly toasted taste, grains, and maybe some hay. Somewhat fizzy. Eh, pilsener's not really my style of choice.

2.18/5  rDev -39.9%

I really wanted to like this beer. I love the way it looks when I pour it into the glass. It smells like many of the other Euro beers that we can find over here. For some reason it tastes old when I get it. I really like Czech pilsners, but i can't learn to like this one.

2.19/5  rDev -39.7%

12oz->Unibroue Tulip
A ~ Pours copper with a great amount of pillowy head. Decends over the course of five minutes leaving globs of lacing. Large bubbles of carb. Looks like a pils.

S ~ Pale Malt, Green Grass, & Skunk.

T ~ A wierd melange of sourdough, cheerios, stale hops, & hay. Touches of peas, buttered corn, pepper, & dirty sap throughout. Blegh.

M ~ How could a 4.4% wreck my palette? Rather thin with an awkward bittering finish that is dry, but with an unrelenting
peppery cloy.

D ~ This is what I hear recommended to me time & time again when it comes to Pilsners, & this does not taste like a pilsner! This fell very short right after the first taste. One & done, Did not even get halfway through.
Would never buy again, unless I bought from the source.

Pilsner Urquell from Plzeňský Prazdroj