Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros

1.05/5  rDev -70.6%

Quote from my fiancee: "Does 'crappy' have one or 2 p's?" That says it all. I think I had a bottle that was exposed to the light too long because the skunk smell was literally unbearable. Whatever positives in the flavor were drowned out by the horrid stench. I will have to try this one again sometime...

1.1/5  rDev -69.2%

OK, so maybe I got a skunked version of this beer, but drinking this was truly a nauseating experience. It had really bad skunky aroma, the taste was bitter and the mouthfeel made me want to puke. I would re-review this if I got a decent example, but I am not sure I ever want to lay eyes on another one of these nasty brews again. If the beer was spoiled in transit, then maybe the brewers want to rethink their bottling/distributorship/label dating. This was an awful, awful beer.

1.1/5  rDev -69.2%

I watched the movie "Somm" and they talk about "freshly opened can of tennis balls" being the big new thing in aromas. With this beer, it's more like a "freshly opened box of tennis shoes, that's been worn a few times before". Totally nasty, will not be trying this again, and likely throwing the remaining 5.5 bottles out.

1.25/5  rDev -65%

1.28/5  rDev -64.1%

1.3/5  rDev -63.6%

I had a 500ml can of this the other night. This was the most disgusting beer I had ever drank in my life. The taste was absolutely horrible, taste something like vinegar.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone and do not plan on drinking this beer ever again. I don't know how anyone could possibly give this beer a good review.

1.33/5  rDev -62.7%

First had: ? (a random bar somewhere)

I'm just not a pils fan, and this is no champion among them. Pours a clear, yellow color, carbonated, with a quickly-dissipating white head. Weak grains and some grassy funk in the aroma. Weak, sweet, malts, grainy, with bitter hops that create a metallic sensation. Light bodied and not at all pleasurable to drink.

1.33/5  rDev -62.7%

Right from the bottle, this offering gave off a skunky aroma, which made me hesitate a bit on going in for a taste. When finally taking the plunge, the taste was not as skunky as the smell. After a few sips, it just tasted a bit like your average watered down pilsner. This was the first time I had this beer, so it's possible this could have been a bad batch, but from this one offering I was less than pleased.

1.45/5  rDev -59.4%

Brilliantly clear, dark golden with brass accents, forming a poofy white head with surprisingly decent retention and very nice lacing. Carbonation is moderately strong, forming some streamers. Aroma is skunky with notes of freshly cut hay, sweet grainy malts and floral hops. Mouthfeel is soft, although decidingly NOT smooth, with a medium body and an astringent, tannic finish. Taste begins with skunky thiols, followed by a rather intense dry bitterness which continues through, and surpasses the finish, leaving the mouth with a very dry, tacky, aftertaste. There is a touch of sweet malt and corn in the middle, obscured for the most part by the skunk. The finish has very strong notes of lemon rind. I've certainly had much better pilseners, and perhaps this is good when it's not skunked, but I've had this on many, many occasions and it's always been skunked. I've even had a friend from the Czech republic bring me a bottle back home and it was just as nasty as the stuff I get locally. The fact that the beer is in green bottles is a testament that the brewery just doesn't care about it's beer. Big black mark to you, Urquell.

1.5/5  rDev -58%

Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.