Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours like a traditional pilsner, golden with a light white head.

Smell is very malted, sweet and rich of cereal grains.

Taste is very malty, hop characteristic is subliminal. This should be a base comparison for a pils, has some notes of fruit in the aftertaste and is sweet. Very slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, coats malty and has a smooth finish.

I can see this being a session beer, perfect for enjoying a sunday sporting event or working on the car. Highly drinkable in mass quantity.

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into my pilsner glass, it sits a clear golden hue, marked by lots of effervescent carbonation. A thin pure white head sits atop this refreshing looking brew. Aroma of grassy, floral, slightly citrous hops and some pale malt. Taste is very similar to the smell, clean and grassy. Flavor is not very deep or complex. Some shy hops come in toward the end with some floral and citrous notes. I really enjoyed the high carbonation in the mouthfeel. It made it all the more quenching. Not much aftertaste at all. The flavor leaves your palate fairly quickly after quaffing. Definitely a good tasting and crisp pils.

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a clear gold with frothy white head and plentiful lacing.

Aroma of grass and grains. Malty sweetness quickly gives way to citrus and grassy notes with prominent hop bitterness but a clean dry finish. Thin but not watery on the palate. Carbonation is prominent.

Drinkability is outstanding. Very refreshing. Relatively low alcohol content makes it a great session brew. This is a favorite hot summer day beer of mine.

3.79/5  rDev +6.5%

I still say that there's nothing like the "original" pilsner -- as the marketers would say -- and that is Pilsner Urquell.

Sure the hop aroma has faded a bit over the years, but the fluffy head hasn't. The hop flavor, the peppery spiciness isn't quite there anymore, but the peppery hop flavor is still food. Urquell is still a bitter lager and that's why its still my favorite Czech beer. Now, don't get wrong, I like some of the more balanced Czech pilsners like Budvar (er, Czechvar) or Staropramen, but I've always appreciated that bitter bite in a Pilsner Urquell. The trick is to find a retailer that takes good care of their bottles. This beer needs to be consumed as fresh as possible. Those hops fade fast. Not really a pretty beer (the head always falls quickly), but decent pils that is very low alcohol for those that have to get to work early in the morning.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass:

A: Darker golden color, pours a thin head.

S: Light malty scents, some hops are evidant.

T: Crisp, slightly bitter, nice noble hoppy taste. Clean finish.

M: Light bodied, well carbonated, crisp.

D: East to drink, goes down well.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I've had the bottle and just recently I had the draft. It almost seems like 2 different beers. Unlike the bottle, the draft is served with a good head on it. The entry tones are a little different, but the finish it's the same. I still like this bad boy and couldn't believe the draft version would be so different. If it's available in your area, give it a shot.

3.79/5  rDev +6.5%

12 oz. green bottle with a freshness date on back label. It is nice to see another European brewery using freshness dates for the US market. Now, if they would only switch to brown bottles.
The original pilsner poured a clear, deep golden color with a fluffy, 1/4 inch white head. Without a doubt, one of the best looking pilsners found.

As with most pilsners, this one suffers in the aroma category. There was a slight skunky aroma that dissipated. The noble hop aroma was slightly evident.

The initial taste is somewhat malty sweet but is quickly followed by a pleasant, sharp bitterness that really quenches the thirst. This is quite refreshing.

While this pilsner is light-bodied, it has a fuller mouthfeel than most domestic or german pisners. The carbonation is zesty and perfect for the style.

It is true that this beer has suffered a little from the days when it was fermented in the uncoated, wooden vats. However, you can not deny that the brewery has vastly improved its quality control and offers a more consistent product. This is a flavorful quaffer for any season.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

When poured, this had a nice, smallish head with a slightly fruity, malty aroma. It had a nice crisp mouthfeel, smooth malty flavor with a slightly hoppy finish. I found this to be very easy drinking & thirst quenching for a warm day or after long day's work.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Golden colored with a frothy finger of head and a clean, classic Pilsner smell. As the brew disappeared from the glass into my mouth, it left a nice lattice of lace on the sides of the glass. Urquell has a nice, light mouthfeel and a mellow, even flavor with a nice bitterness in the finish. This beer is uncomplex but good and refreshing.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Five beers on the menu, four AB and this so why not? It poured a nice golden color with a tight head. It had a good malt taste, and good carbonation. I found it to be quite refreshing, a pilner without "rice". I could drink this again, if some one is buying.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

As for me, this has always been the benchmark beer that I judge all other Pilsners against, but it has slipped in quality over the last several years, and mores the pity. The beer pours the archetypal pilsner a translucent gold or straw color, the head impressive in size, frothy and bright white, with the lace fine silky sheets to cover the glass. Nose is all malt, lightly sweet, as is the start with a skinny top. Perkily acidic finish with the hops pleasing in their spicy bite, dry aftertaste and to me still one of the best "Pils" brewed anywhere.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Arguably one of the best mass produced pilsners made today, though not quite as good as it used to be according to many tasters. IMO, superior to both Heineken and Stella in appearance, smell, taste and drinkability, both on-tap and in the bottle. I feel it is particularly good on-tap.

Crisp, tart yeasty flavor with mild balanced hop malt nose. A great pilsner, despite its mass production and availability. You have to wonder what the local Czech micro beer must be like when its mass produced beer is this good. I am more of an ale person myself, but when I want a nice refreshing pilsner, I wouldn't hesitate to ask for this one.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Not a huge fan of Pilseners, but I'd heard to much about this one that I figured I'd give it a shot. Pours a light yellow/golden, nice head, pretty nice looking. Nose is solid, surprisinginly strong, hops and sweet malt come through. Taste is smooth, nice balance of hops and malt (especially for a pilsener), some spices as well. Feel is medium bodied, good carbonation. Overall, a every tasty and extremely refreshing beer. If I were feeling like a lager (which occasionally I am), I'd definitely come back to this one.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

I had Pilsner Urquell at Hogan's in Tampa. Everyone told me it was like Czechvar, but I gotta say this one is, imo a more flavorful brew. There is a slight citrus flavor that turns into a grassy kind of flavor almost instantly. In fact, I drank a few sips quickly to see if my mind was playing tricks on me. It has a good head, it smells decent, and I probably could drink these all night long. Another guy, who is a BA offline, said it was "pretty much like Budweiser", having just had Budweiser recently, I was shocked at the comment! This is what Budweiser should have been, clean, slightly hoppy and flavorful from start to finish. To top it off, you can usually get this good brew for less than Corona!

--Joey

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Maybe its just because its a REALLY hot day, but I'm finding this beer more enjoyable than the last few times I tasted it. Its still not what it used to be, but it is a very serviceable pilsner. It pours a dark straw color with a medium rough white head. The smell is of faint crisp hops. The taste is very crisp with some pleasant bitter hops that are very refreshing and some grassiness and graininess as well. The slightest bit of cereal sweetness on the finish. The mouthfeel is very crisp, but not bone dry. Very drinkable, especially on a 100 degree day. Maybe not the best pilsner on the planet, but a damn fine one that still fits the bill when the heat calls for it- and an available great alternative to a macro brew. I can usually get cheap 12 packs at Costco.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Having made a "pilgrimage" to Plzen 12 years ago, long before I discovered the joys of "c" hops, this can is definitely a trip down memory lane. Seems odd not to rate the archetype of the style with 5's across the board, but truth is there are other hoppier and crisper pilsners that I now prefer. Odd...

Pours a surprisingly oily, brassy golden colour with a massive white head that dissipates quickly. Bready aroma is not as Saaz-centric as I remember from draught in the Czech Republic. Although I only received the can as a gift yesterday, unfortunately no telling how old it is... The taste is more pleasing, with a flavourful grain foundation and decently crisp hop ending. The finish lingers longer than I remember and emphasizes noble hops.

Still a benchmark beer for the style, but wouldn't always be my first choice.

500ml glass 4,4% Abv.
Served cold into a Pilsner Urquell branded glass.
I had this at a pub at the Johannesburg airport while waiting for a flight.

Appearance: Golden body with lots of visible carbonation topped by a good sized creamy white head that lasts pretty well and leaves stunning lacing.

Smell: Light nose, but still much better than the bottled version. Lovely grassy Saaz hops dominate; a light earthiness and grainy malt are also present.

Taste: Initial sweetness followed by grassy hops and a solid, lasting bitter finish. A little simple but a very solid pilsner.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body with crisp carbonation. Very drinkable and super refreshing after a long day.

Overall: I really enjoyed this beer and will certainly have another when I can get it on tap.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

I don't know what they are thinking with these green-bottle beers. Much like the sulfite burst from a bottle of wine, I usually brace myself when about to open a green-bottle import.

My first experience with Urquell was dismal. I bought a large (20 oz.?) which must have been sitting next to the flourescent light bulb in the fridge of my nearest liquor store for months. I had to dump it, it was so skunked.

Next I tried a 6-pack. Better, but it still had me wondering about the effect of the green glass.

Then, I had the opportunity to try some on-tap. Fabulous! No skunk! It had a strong hop presence, well-developed mouthfeel, and malt profile which can barely be found in the skunked versions. There's still that kooky Saaz hop scent going on, but it is actually welcome, when this beer is fresh.

I plan on trying an unopened case of this soon, but for now,I suggest only drinking it on-tap.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

A: small head that disappears quickly, light straw/copper tint

S: very faint malt and hops.

T: slight bitter, citrus, and some carbonation

M: light to med body, slight carbonation.

D: A fine starter beer for new beer drinkers wanting to drink something not BMC. Good summer beer/great session beer.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Finally had one of these on tap last night. Tried it before from a bottle, but it was skunked to high-heaven. (big surprise)

Poured with a finger of head. Healthy golden color. Aroma is just a kiss of hoppiness.

Taste - Oh, this is what a "light" beer is supposed to be. Nothing earth shattering, just lightly hoppy and delicious. This is the first time I've tasted saaz hops and simply enjoyed it instead of wishing it was cascade, chinook, or centennial instead. I would keep this in my fridge on a regular basis if I could buy it in good condition. Perfectly drinkable.

So it's brewed with 70something percent hop extract now? Oh, well. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean bad beer.

3.81/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: deep gold, bubbly white head, lots of streaming bubbles

Smell: lemony and quite subtle

Taste: wonderful Saaz hops, grassy, citrus, smoky spicy

Mouthfeel: think champagne; dry, crisp, lots of carbonation

Drinkability: very refreshing and light, great in the summertime; a little fragile, should be consumed cold because it can get pretty "watery" as it warms: think Coors Light

Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.