Pilsner Urquell - Plzeňský Prazdroj

Plzeňský Prazdroj visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,353 | Hads: 3,266
3.81/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Truly forgot how prominent and delicious the malt character is. I've always enjoyed the hop profiles of Czech pilsners. Makes for a thoroughly enjoyable drink on an oppressively hot summer day. I love the Noble hop aroma. Saaz is earthy, spicy and herbal. I really dig it. The grassy notes blend in well with the biscuit malt presence. (335 characters)

1.37/5  rDev -62.8%

This is an abhorrent beer. I simply do not understand how anyone could think otherwise. The only way I could possibly describe this beer is if you took some san pedro cactus tea and mixed it with some beer. The aftertaste is morally wrong and I will never forgive this company for this horrifying experience I paid them to endure. There is nothing positive to say about this beer, other than that their logo looks nice. I would only ever drink this again if it were free, and even then I would be profoundly upset to do so, and I would only ingest it in the first place because I have no self respect. I'd even rather drink fucking Tecate than this swill. (655 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Look: Looks like any other Pilsner - chilled horse urine with the white froth to boot. Small one finger head that dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: The lemon grass and straw is quite faint. Not much of an aroma, I guess I'm grasping at straws here.

Taste: As the carbonation subsides, your palate is filled with the taste of slightly stale bread and plenty of malt. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop there. As you savor the beer, Mr. Hyde finally appears. Your mouth is seemingly filled with steel wool and other metallic shavings as you suddenly flash back to your childhood when you would lick pennies and dimes to see what they taste like. As you come to, you force the beer down your throat to hopefully (read: desperately) extinguish the taste of iron ore and beat back Vulcan's assault on your togune. Unfortunately it doesn't work. So you take another sip to escape the torment. This happens repeatedly until the bottle is empty so you run to the fridge to grab another, all to stave off the ultimate, painful truth - you're drinking liquid metal.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation and medium mouthfeel is refreshing until the aftertaste kicks in. (See above)

Overall: Yeah it was good for about 5 seconds before its dark side appeared. I only poured out half the bottle so I threw the other half out. Along with what I had left in the glass. So... um... Yeah... (1,383 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had from 500mL can purchased in Portland, OR. Best by date of Feb 08, 2016.

Pours a deep golden straw color with an impressive creamy white head. It dissipates relatively quickly, but it leaves behind a very appetizing clumpy white lacing.

Steely hop and herbal aromas are immediately noticeable even pouring the brew at a distance. Lightly toasted grain, grass, bread yeast, crab apples, yeasty bread dough, as well as a touch of fresh baked biscuits and caramel brittle.

Medium to medium-light on the palate with with a light malty backbone giving way to a pleasant finish of bitter hops, pine, and fresh herbs.

Overall this is quite refreshing. Very glad to see this come in cans instead of the green bottles. Much, much, better and less skunky. Very crisp and refreshing. However, it stills doesn't seem to taste as good as it does on draft in the Czech Republic. Although the astounding beauty of the Czech Republic could likely polish a turd. (966 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -20.1%

Summer time means drinking a lot of pilsners. Decided to revisit a classic hadn't had this in years. Golden color with no head light bubbles tracing up. Nose leaves a little less to be desired little grassy. Taste is okay no real bite or hop presence that I get from u.s. pilsners. Overall underwhelming. Glad I revisited it. (325 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a light gold with fluffy white head, good distribution, good retention. Smells of honey malt and noble hops with a slight minerality. Taste is of honey, noble hops with a grassy, lingering hop bitterness. Watery, refreshing mouthfeel. Great warm weather beer. (269 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -9%

Look - Pours a crystal clear yellow with a two finger frothy white head that sticks around and leaves a fair bit of lacing.

Smell - Bready malts and a touch of flowers.

Taste - White bread with a touch of flower. Slight skunk, crisp refreshing mineral water and a bit of huskiness.

Feel - Light bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall - Most green bottle beers are skunky messes by the time they make it here. This was refreshing and easy drinking. Skunk was at a minimum. (478 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the perfect Pilsner. And as the soft flavour aftertaste of hops. The Aroma is perfect. Beautifully golden to bronze color. Lower in alcohol so you can have a long session. (182 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Can best by Aug 19-2015. Pilsner Glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear, rich gold with 2 fingers bright white, foamy head. Very active carbonation. Retains exceptionally well. Otherworldly lacing.

Aroma: Pungent noble hop aroma, Saaz all the way. Clean pilsner malt sweetness in the background. Slightly sulfury (or is that diacetyl, and I just don't know how to distinguish it)?

Taste: Clean, ever so slightly malty arrival. Pilsner malt sweetness grows on mid-palate, turning to a spicy hoppiness, then a moderate, briefly-lingering bitterness. Then clean.

Mouthfeel: A little carbonic bite, very well carbonated; style-appropriate. Solidly midweight. Some residual slickness. Bohemian pilsners I find less clean than German; I think I prefer Bohemian in the winter and German in the summer.

Overall: Truly a classic, and I would like to have this beer around all the time. My only complaint is that it has a lingering slickness that makes it not so refreshing. I really must commend them for their efforts in canning and freshness recently; there is no metallic taste, and gone are the days of green bottle skunkiness. Truly a world-class pilsner. (1,168 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden clear body, with a white 3 finger creamy head, good retention with medium retention. On the nose is that amazing biscuity, wheat, and roasted notes that I love and expect in a good pilsner. On the palate is immediately more of that biscuit, wheat taste, with some corn like sweetness from the toasted malts. With a very light bitter at the back of the throat which is normal with toasted malts. Finishes crisp with a semi dry mouthfeel. Over all I find this to be a very delicious pilsner. (505 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had this Beer when I was in Prague. It was a smooth and delicious draft. I wasn't disappointed at all from all the reviews I heard from the online reviews. (155 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance – Straw gold in color and super clear. Poured with one finger of white foam that was composed of rather large bubbles. The head receded quickly and left very little lacing.

Smell – Had a biscuity malt smell, some corn like sweetness (very little) and a bit of funk from the Saaz hops used.

Taste – Started as a doughy sweet but was balanced by a moderate bitter taste. The hops added notes of uncut grass and other herbals to the beer. Very balanced in general.

Mouthfeel – Light in body, rather dry, and highly carbonated. Super refreshing feeling (572 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz retro can. Pours a clear golden straw color with over an inch of head. Moderate amount of lacing. Aroma of cereal, cut grass, hay and Pilsner malt. Sweet and slightly sour. The taste is cut grass, hay and cereal. Some slight funk finishes with grassy hops and some toasted bread. Light mouthfeel and insanely drinkable. Perfect for summer. I've had this a few times in the green bottle but I had heard its way better in a can, not skunked. I must say this seems to be the case. This can is way better than the skunked bottle ones. Overall, very solid Pils I would grab again. (580 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a crystal clear, sun-yellow color, with a huge, bubbly head.

Reveals aromas of hay, together with biscuity malts and leafy, bitter hops. Very well composed, with all aromas staying in perfect balance to each other.

Has a higher, fitting carbonation, leading to a very refreshing, light bodied beer.

Begins with cakey malts and dough wheat, soon joined by herbal, grassy hops. Due to the metallic carbonation, the hops grow more prominent on the tongue, becoming the most dominant flavour during the finish, exhibiting a bitter, refreshing leafy hop profile, still balanced by the beers taste foundation.

Very clean, easy drinking, thirst quenching beer. While it is not too complex, it ops pretty straight forward, and succeeds, in establishing a hop driven beer for warm days. (787 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into Pilsner glass.

Appearance - 4/5
Two fingers of white foam, a vibrant and clear golden orange, with plenty of rising carbonation visible. Definitely looks like a good pilsner.

Smell - 3.5/5
Heineken-like aroma. Nothing too impressive, nothing too shaby either.

Taste - 4/5
Some delicious golden, almost oktoberfest-style malts, combined with the heineken lager smell. I wasn't expecting the malts to be as prominent and tasty as they are. The lagery taste does make it seem a little skunky, but as long as I tell myself it's just part of the style, then it tastes fine.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium bodied, moderately higher than average carbonation. Quite crisp and refreshing.

Overall - 4/5
Overall, not a bad pilsner. As always for me, beer with a story (or at least good marketing! ;) ) makes me like it better. I'm not just rating the beer itself, I'm rating the experience overall. And having ancestry from the Czech area, part of me likes to think that some of my ancestors, at some point, have beer involved in producing this very old recipe. And so it's like drinking a piece of my heritage. Anyway, personal stuff aside, I thought this was a decent beer. I haven't had a ton of lagers/pilsners, so its hard to know where it fits on the quality scale. But I enjoyed it. (1,288 characters)

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a (duh) pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear straw with a two-finger white head. Classic pilsner presentation.

Aroma: A little grass, a little toast. Clean and a little prickly.

Taste: Follows the nose. Grass is pretty forward.

Mouthfeel: Light and refreshing.

Overall: Hey, it's a classic. Always have time for one of these. Why do people drink Euro crud like Stella and Heineken when this is nearly as widely available and way better for the same price? (492 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Look: Pours a golden yellow with a short white head.

Smell: Light hops and malts

Taste: Crisp and refreshing, citrusy hops with a crisp malt

Feel: Light body with good carb

Overall: A good but not outstanding pilsner (220 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the new brown bottle into a NB globe. One finger of head that seems to dissipate quickly leaving some lacing. Appearance is a nice amber yellow. The taste is slightly bitter but I'm not picking up a lot of malt. Moderate mouthfeel like many lagers. I was hoping for more from this one but I may be dealing with a freshness issue. Although the freshness date was months from now and it was in brown bottle I suspect it wasn't controlled for temperature as well as it should have been. (496 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm sorry to rate such a historic beer so low.
This clearly isn't my type of beer. No flavor no malt no hops, reminds me of US beers from the 70's. Yes back then those beers were good to me. My palate has grown and expects a lot of good flavor. (244 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

330 ml bottle poured into a stemmed Spiegelau pilsner glass. A solid B- beer. Pretty refreshing and would probably pair decently with most foods. Not a beer I'd ever avoid, but not a beer I could ever get excited about drinking. As between this and a Lagunitas Pils, I'd always go for the Lagunitas. (299 characters)

Pilsner Urquell at Veselka in the east village

At this point im surprised to say that pilsner urquell fresh on tap is my favorite beer.

Crystal clear gold, big frothy white head with great retention, persistent lacing.

A little bready, little bit of noble hop flavor, perfectly (very) dry, slight sourdough aftertaste if not completely clean finish, extremely bright and refreshing aroma, high side of moderate carbonation, body isn't too light. Just a perfect easy drinking beer. Without flaw (496 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

its sad how in a world dominated by cheap pilsners and American lagers we cant have beer like this more often. I feel as if the pilsner market has not been taken over by the craft companies for we live in IPA world. This beer makes the soul happy, and is so refreshing. The original, the best pilsner, Pilsner Urquell. And I don't even like pilsners! (354 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fermented on oak, this benchmark beer is one of the greats. It was one of Michael Jackson's (the beer guy not the singer) all time favourite beers. I could drink this all day long.

If you don't like it, come back to this one after you've rated a few hundred beers on the site. I honestly don't think I would've liked it nearly as much when I first joined Beer Advocate and was still exploring ale styles.

All that being said, the lightstruck green bottle version does not do the tall boy can version justice. (514 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

a crisp clean refreshing beer with a small amount of bitterness that does not necessarily improve but doesn't hurt the taste of the beer, a nice, spicy, classic, pilsner beer

I will add that while this isn't necessarily what i'd call a great beer it is one that I dearly love,

it's not the kind of thing that will probably leave a lasting impression for, but for those like me who never really drank macros to begin with it is a pleasant surprise and a beer worth your time (475 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a fizzy yellow urine color.

Aroma is primarily hay, grassy notes, and very mild hops.

Taste is very grassy up front, followed by some iron and earthiness. I get some lemon zest in the beer also. The finish is a surprisingly mild bitterness.

Overall lagers are not my style, but this one is decent. Very sessionable, however, still not enough flavor for me. I pair it with bacon-cheddar flavored popcorn or chips and quest dip. It gets a 70.5/ 100 from me. (464 characters)

Pilsner Urquell from Plzeňský Prazdroj