Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
beerthulhu

2.53/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured a very clear, pale yellow color with a big fluffy white head. Visible carbonation was very strong.

S: Strong skunky aroma emits from the green bottle upon opening.On the nose was some fresh buttery corn.

T: sweet and buttery corn flavor with a light herbal hopping. There was some vegetable aftertaste.

M: syrupy, fizzy from the carbonation, and rather bland.

D: Don't really care for this in one serving let along several. Pass.

07-23-2008 22:30:16 | More by beerthulhu
Spidey13

Kentucky

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

This hot weather lately got me in the mood for a good pilsner, so I grabbed a 4-pack of Pilsner Urquell cans.

This beer pours a beautiful, clear gold with a white head. Bubbles are constantly moving up the glass. The nose has a good amount of noble hops spiciness and a bit of sweet malt. Some sulfur notes also make an appearance.

The taste has a light caramel flavor which leas to the spicy hop flavor. There are also some toasted white bread notes when you swish the beer around your mouth. There is a hint of bittnerness and a quick, dry finish. The mouthfeel is nice, with lots of carbonation.

This is a classic pilsner and great on a hot day.

07-21-2008 10:59:40 | More by Spidey13
aubuc1

3.63/5  rDev +2%

12 oz bottle poured in to a pilsner glass.

Nice carbonated light colored body with a big white head.

Floral smell backed by powerful non-bitter smelling hops.

Sweet, light taste that doesn't do a whole lot but taste light.

Mouthfeel is pretty carbonated, and keeps it crisp.

Extremely drinkable because of its crisp and light characteristics.

07-16-2008 22:30:05 | More by aubuc1
dasenebler

Maine

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

You know the pour-- quick frothy head forms, then dissipates to nothing in about 10 seconds. Clear gold color. Nothing really special here with this brew, although I feel it is much more drinkable than Heineken, Amstel, etc. Smell is somewhat skunky, taste is better however. Some good bitterness, definitely better compared to other Euro lagers. I don't really know what else to say. Buy Brooklyn Pilsner (for basically the same price), Victory Prima Pils or Sierra Nevada Summerfest instead. They're domestic examples of the style and much, much tastier.

07-16-2008 02:28:16 | More by dasenebler
Lexluthor33

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a golden honey color with a small head and light lace.
The aroma is mild skunk,bread malt and hops.
The taste is toasted malts,hops,and a slightly bitter. The overall feel is slightly watery,crisp,dry finish with mild bitterness. I think I detected some grains in the finish.

Notes: The beer was slightly skunked,but they all are. I bought a 6 pack and I felt that despite this the beer was good,not great but good. I suppose I tried it because I read so much about it.
It was fine for a hot day,average and nothing to be ashamed of.

07-16-2008 01:36:44 | More by Lexluthor33
Chugmonkey

Wisconsin

Spicy, floral, grassy smelling fizzy white head. Skunkiness varies on how the beer was stored/conditioned. Super clear looking, crisp bite to it. Goes down easy with a clean bitter aftertaste that makes me want something else. I've just developed a taste for beer with more depth to enjoy a style this light. Skunkiness ain't my cup of tea either.

07-09-2008 19:07:44 | More by Chugmonkey
mgp80

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured out of a bottle into a pilsner glass.

A - transparent gold with a thin white head, which fades fairly quickly

S - Let's face it. This beer tends to be skunked in US stores, and this one was no exception. After giving it a few minutes, I came back to it. Malt comes through with saazy hops. Unexceptional but not bad.

T - Hop bitterness is there, but relatively mild and consistent. Little skunk up front. Clean, sweet malt flavor really prominent after a second or so.

M - Much creamier than I expected. Couples nicely with the maltiness.

D - I could do a sixer easy, if I didn't have to wait for the skunk to fade a bit.

Overall a nice session beer. Just wish they'd drop the ^%##*& green bottles.

07-09-2008 00:38:26 | More by mgp80
Slynger

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

Light, bright, clear golden color with a fluffy cap of white. Lightly sweet buttery lemon with lightly toasted grains and some white peppery-spicy, earthy-grassy hops. Light bodied and lightly oily smooth with nice creamy carbonation. Definitely a nice, classic version of the style that is widely available.

07-08-2008 03:48:21 | More by Slynger
dcam1437

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured in a Pilsner glass

Medium to large amount of white head that looks a little soapy

Very light amber to light gold color

Pretty skunky - Probably because of the green bottle

The initial taste is very smooth, dry and carbonated, it doesnt have much depth at first but it stays in your mouth for a while and poses a very good amount of flavor

This is an above average beer that is excellent for keeping on hand but I would not consider it one you would sit and ponder the taste for too long.

07-07-2008 01:19:13 | More by dcam1437
elniko

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into pint glass as I still do not have pilsner glass

A: Very standard looking, light to middle amber. Very little head that dissipated quickly. Quite carbonated.

S: Smell is grassy with just a bit of spicy hop scent. Very pleasant on the nose.

T & M: I don't remember liking this beer in the past but my palate must have changed because I quite enjoyed. Smooth on the on uptake but the hoppiness comes through in the aftertaste and mouthfeel. This beer stays on your palate after drinking.

D: Definitely drinkable, different than than the typical Euro lager. I've been seeing more and more place carrying this beer and I will definitely be having again

07-06-2008 20:55:00 | More by elniko
Greggy

4.38/5  rDev +23%

A- Pours a nice 1.5 finger head above a crystal clear light golden body.

S- A very nice hopiness on the nose with a really obvious orange and citrus, as well as some really nice maltiness.

T- Initially, a get a nice dryness with some biscuit notes, and some dry hopiness, as well as some a light residual citrus on the palette. I also detect a bit of grassiness.

M- I really like the light-med carbonation and the dryness and finish is quite nice.

D- I could drink this one for days and still be quite content. Buy the 12 pack bottles to avoid skunkiness due to the light damage the 6 packs often suffer.

07-01-2008 17:49:44 | More by Greggy
jamiejohnson

4.2/5  rDev +18%

I hold a soft spot in my heart for Pilsner Urquell because it was the beer that weaned me off the fizzy crap two decades back. I would buy ten cases at a time in my Urquell prime. Now I'll buy a twelver anytime the price is right. Urquell is what it is - the deservedly hyped icon of pilsner royalty. Michael Jackson used to comment on the brewery's soft water that left him "beckoning for another one." I have to agree - something is special about this legendary brew even if you can't pin it down. The high marks I give are out of respect. If you ever make it to Pilzen's brewery, don't miss the nearby beer museum. It's well worth it. Let's hope the conglomerate (SAB?) that now controls this classic doesn't totally destroy it in greedy fashion.

Young and dumb,
Drink'n fizz.
Now I'm smart,
A real beer whiz.

Thanks Urquell

06-29-2008 04:03:42 | More by jamiejohnson
gonzo46and2

3.08/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a decent head but doesn't retain it at all. Horse blanket aroma with notes of corn and pale malt. Bitter and slightly metallic finish. Perhaps mine wasn't the freshest. I'd like to try it on tap.

This is a hyped up beer that I really wanted to try after developing my tastes but I must admit that many other imported lagers (Becks, Warsteiner, Heine,etc)taste the same if not better. I think I need to try this fresh.

06-24-2008 04:02:47 | More by gonzo46and2
Cresant

Kentucky

4.33/5  rDev +21.6%

Poured this 16.9 oz. can into a large pils glass. Coded: 08288. The body was a rich golden color and clear of any sediment. The pithy two inches of white head faded with an audible sizzle.

Smell was grainy. Earthy, slightly funky hops, love the saaz! Floral.

Taste was rich. Grains and bright hops. Refreshing tartness. Minerally. Incredibly well balanced hops bitterness/malty sweet grains. Classic.

Mouthfeel was silky and husky/raspy. Contradictory in several elements , yet this beer brings it all together superbly. A wonderful pilsner.

06-18-2008 13:43:38 | More by Cresant
Reagan1984

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

On Tap

There was a slight head but a very nice amount of lacing.
There was lots of carbonation visible through the clear bright gold color.

A nice and distinctive sweet grassy aroma

Nice lingering hop/bread/sweet taste.

Session - yes

Excellent mouth feel.

Hop linger.
Good tingle on the carbonation.

Almost all of us have had this one before. A solid choice if you are in a Pilsner mood, but frankly I'll take a Victory Prima Pils first.

06-18-2008 13:34:16 | More by Reagan1984
demitriustown

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

Clear very golden color. smells decent I did detect a little skunk but oh well. The flovor is strong but very pleasent sweetness and bitter meld together in an enjoyable combination. I enjoyed this brew. Got the tall boy 1pt. 6.3 oz bottle and I wish I would have got the sixer. Very good Pislner worth the money you pay for it. All pilsners should wish to be this good, and we all know that there is a mess load of crappy ones. Yummy!!

06-17-2008 18:43:21 | More by demitriustown
Taipans

Missouri

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%

I picked up a 4 pint pack at my local grocer this past weekend. With temps hitting in the mid - 90s I figured this would be a pretty refreshing beverage. I wasn't dissapointed, it was light, crisp and a pretty good rep of the style.

Out of can, so I will have to skip on the appearance, but I did like the can design. =)

It had a grainy sweet aroma, much like the macro lagers in the states. It tasted somewhat bitter with a nice complex profile. Smooth and easily drinkable, I had a couple pints and didn't feel bloated or full.

Highly recommended!

06-16-2008 10:22:33 | More by Taipans
spewdog

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

By and large, the people who found this beer funky had it in a bottle. I can empathize. Either this beer doesn't travel well or it doesn't sell well. I have to assume the former. So here's my tip -- buy it in the 500 ml can if possible.

If you're lucky enough to find it in a can, you're in for a treat. A great pilsner from the town of the same name. It's my favorite summer beer, and goes better with hot dogs than any American beer I've ever tried.

06-08-2008 05:29:16 | More by spewdog
JayQue

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Pours a clear dark gold with a small white carbonated head. Head retention is average, fades to no head. No lacing. Mild malty/slightly skunky aroma.

Tastes good. It's a pilsner, nothing is going to overwhelm you but there is mild bitterness and grassy/bready malt. Malt is stronger than the bitterness. The taste is somewhere between Heineken and Warsteiners, with Warsteiners being more malty.

Mouthfeel is just right, not watery like a cheap macro lager, and crisp.

This beer is not as good as the Budvar, but still a tasty Czech pilsner. This one would work from a lawnmower beer all the way to a session beer. Nice!!

06-06-2008 22:59:57 | More by JayQue
JoKo

Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured this beer into a pilsner glass. This beer produced about an inch/inch and a half white head. Dark golden in color, clear and high in carbonation. The smell was "skunk" right up front, probably due to the use of Saaz hops. I do find this to be a pleasant attribute and I believe the brewer intended for the beer to have a strong hop smell and taste as well. Again, the taste was Saaz hops right up front giving it a nice bitter kick with a fine balance of malts lingering in the background to even it out. This beer has a biscuit taste. Overall, this beer would probably appeal to Heineken, Grolsch, and other Euro Pale Lager or Pilsner drinkers. It is a very complex but drinkable brew.

06-03-2008 20:55:07 | More by JoKo
nem2006

2.38/5  rDev -33.1%

I poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It is a nice, clear golden which had a little bit of a head. The head dissipated quickly.

The smell was skunky at first and lessened a little as I let it warm, but still remained.

I thought the taste had an odd bitterness from the hops which lingered well after you swallowed. I caught a little bit of hay/grasses in the taste.

I'll be honest, I was really turned off by this beer and do not really recommend it. But plenty of others seem to be pretty high on it, so I will have to try it another time.

06-01-2008 01:08:29 | More by nem2006
AZTEX

Arizona

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

I had this one on Memorial Day - poured from a bottle into a glass. The beer was a striking gold color, very clear with excellent carbonation. A nice one finger foam formed that quickly disappeared. The smell was strongly hoppy and a little bit of malt. There was also a slight citrusy aroma - I would like to have more citrus. The taste was excellent. Mild hoppiness with a hint of malt. It finished dry and bitter, very refreshing. The mouthfeel was a little light, but thicker than your typical macro lager. A very drinkable beer that I enjoy on a warm summer day.

05-29-2008 00:07:35 | More by AZTEX
PatrickJR

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass.

A - Pale yellow with small 1/4 - 1/2 inch head that recedes quickly. Minimal lacing.

S - Grassy, earthy, spicy hops; very fragrant. Some slightly detectable malt.

T - Faint light malt starts off, slightly sweet, and then moves into the spicy hops. The complexity lies in the hops. A whole range of tastes from grass, earth, a sort of onion-like character, and finishing with a floral note. Finish is somewhat metallic and waaay too bitter.

M - Fizzy and light. Wonderful accent with the hops.

D - The lightness initially makes me think this would be easy to drink, but the high carbonation is quite filling, and the ungodly bitterness really does this brew in. Could have a few, but wouldn't.

05-21-2008 03:34:09 | More by PatrickJR
oneeye

2.95/5  rDev -17.1%

First beer of the day Sat.3pm.
Poured into a pint glass.

A. Golden yellow with plenty carbonation bubbles floating up to the thin head.

S. Smells skunky at first.Barnyard,I'm gonna let this baby warm a bit.

T. Not bad,grains and corn.Crisp and clean.Little bit of that barnyard taste,hay grassy,and a little taste of bitter hops at the end.

M. Watery with crispness,clean at the finish.

D. Good for your first beer of the day.

Notes. First try at this style.I would like to try Budweiser Budvar and compare notes.

05-17-2008 19:48:00 | More by oneeye
joshgambit

Iowa

4.9/5  rDev +37.6%

Golden, coppery color. Good head from the tap. Decent lacing.

S: Grassy, hoppy. Toasted malt coming through also.

T: CLASSIC pilsner taste. On tap, this is one of the best pilsners I've ever had. Very nice malt character, slightly grainy, with excellent Saaz hops coming thorugh.

M: Tight, bright carbonation. Crisp finish, with a slightly bitter aftertaste. One of my favorites when it's on tap.

Bottled isn't as good, but I love this one on tap.

05-13-2008 13:33:33 | More by joshgambit
Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.