Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

One of the "1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die" -- #23 of the ones I've reviewed here.

This is a favorite beer of mine, though I've never had it on tap and I suspect I might bump my score up a bit if I ever get the chance (this is the sort of beer that's really meant to be drunk fresh out of a keg). While not the best Pilsner out there, it's probably my personal reference point for the style -- when I'm trying another Pilsner and I want to decide what I think of it, I usually compare it mentally to this. I would also give somebody who never had a Pilsner and wanted to know what that was like a bottle of this, it's the best introduction to the style I know.

Interesting notes include the color, which is surprisingly golden, the very light nose of hops and yeast which is mapped in the flavors, and the lasting lightly bitter/hoppy finish.

It's not a beer that you need to spend a lot of time talking about, and I think nowadays it's even a little underrated as a result. It is what it is, but "what it is" is pretty good, I think.

3.23/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance: Pours a very clear golden-amber. Pillowy, two-finger white head.

Smell: Juicy, spicy hops with a backbone of creamy malt goodness. Crisp.

Taste: Smooth, almost creamy malt. A little on the dry side, with a lightly toasted character. Hopping is fairly assertive, but narrow in scope; it provides a spicy bite, but not an expansive herbal flavor. Very purposeful. The hops remain detectable all the way through the finish, and a touch of buttery diacetyl smooths it out towards the end.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, with a sturdy malt backdone appropriate for the style.

Verdict: A prototype pilsner. I've had better ones, but this is a textbook example of the style. It represents it well.

3.34/5  rDev -6.4%

12 oz bottle poured in a glass beer mug.

A - Pours a clear yellow gold with a snow white head, which dissipates quickly. Highly carbonated with lots of bubble streams racing up the glass.

S - A lemony crackery smell, but also somewhat catty, almost like a beer stain on a college dorm room carpet. Nostalgic to be sure, but not what I prefer to smell.

T - Doughy/bready/crackery with a strong noble hop backbone. Too much so IMHO. Overall, I got used to the taste, but that's about all I can say.

M - Creamy with lots of fizzy carbonation. Enjoyable.

D - Drinkable to be sure, but not sure I'd really want more than a couple.

Overall decent Pilsner, and it's hard to knock the Pilsner that started it all, but maybe the long-traveled green bottle import just isn't the same as drinking it from the source. The one time I made it to Prague I didn't get out to Pilzen, but to give this a fair taste, I will next time.

3.25/5  rDev -9%

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%

3.12/5  rDev -12.6%

It pours into a pilsner glass with 1/4 head that disappears quickly & leaves little lacing. Aroma is typical pils--grassy, hops, citrus.
Great for a hot summer day after mowing the lawn.
Has just the right blend of hops and malt to be crisp without skunkyness. Good mouthfeel and quality comes through compared to other mass produced beers.
There are many worse beers out there for the money as well as pricey highly-touted beers that are let downs. Pilsner Urquell is simple and well done but not earth shattering.

Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.