Pilsner Urquell - Plzeňský Prazdroj

Plzeňský Prazdroj visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,225 | Reviews: 1,387
3.48/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a crystal clear, sun-yellow color, with a huge, bubbly head.

Reveals aromas of hay, together with biscuity malts and leafy, bitter hops. Very well composed, with all aromas staying in perfect balance to each other.

Has a higher, fitting carbonation, leading to a very refreshing, light bodied beer.

Begins with cakey malts and dough wheat, soon joined by herbal, grassy hops. Due to the metallic carbonation, the hops grow more prominent on the tongue, becoming the most dominant flavour during the finish, exhibiting a bitter, refreshing leafy hop profile, still balanced by the beers taste foundation.

Very clean, easy drinking, thirst quenching beer. While it is not too complex, it ops pretty straight forward, and succeeds, in establishing a hop driven beer for warm days.

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Beside the smell this is a nice pilsner. Refreshing in the sun.

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured into Pilsner glass.

Appearance - 4/5
Two fingers of white foam, a vibrant and clear golden orange, with plenty of rising carbonation visible. Definitely looks like a good pilsner.

Smell - 3.5/5
Heineken-like aroma. Nothing too impressive, nothing too shaby either.

Taste - 4/5
Some delicious golden, almost oktoberfest-style malts, combined with the heineken lager smell. I wasn't expecting the malts to be as prominent and tasty as they are. The lagery taste does make it seem a little skunky, but as long as I tell myself it's just part of the style, then it tastes fine.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium bodied, moderately higher than average carbonation. Quite crisp and refreshing.

Overall - 4/5
Overall, not a bad pilsner. As always for me, beer with a story (or at least good marketing! ;) ) makes me like it better. I'm not just rating the beer itself, I'm rating the experience overall. And having ancestry from the Czech area, part of me likes to think that some of my ancestors, at some point, have beer involved in producing this very old recipe. And so it's like drinking a piece of my heritage. Anyway, personal stuff aside, I thought this was a decent beer. I haven't had a ton of lagers/pilsners, so its hard to know where it fits on the quality scale. But I enjoyed it.

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a (duh) pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear straw with a two-finger white head. Classic pilsner presentation.

Aroma: A little grass, a little toast. Clean and a little prickly.

Taste: Follows the nose. Grass is pretty forward.

Mouthfeel: Light and refreshing.

Overall: Hey, it's a classic. Always have time for one of these. Why do people drink Euro crud like Stella and Heineken when this is nearly as widely available and way better for the same price?

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Look: Pours a golden yellow with a short white head.

Smell: Light hops and malts

Taste: Crisp and refreshing, citrusy hops with a crisp malt

Feel: Light body with good carb

Overall: A good but not outstanding pilsner

3.49/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the new brown bottle into a NB globe. One finger of head that seems to dissipate quickly leaving some lacing. Appearance is a nice amber yellow. The taste is slightly bitter but I'm not picking up a lot of malt. Moderate mouthfeel like many lagers. I was hoping for more from this one but I may be dealing with a freshness issue. Although the freshness date was months from now and it was in brown bottle I suspect it wasn't controlled for temperature as well as it should have been.

2.34/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm sorry to rate such a historic beer so low.
This clearly isn't my type of beer. No flavor no malt no hops, reminds me of US beers from the 70's. Yes back then those beers were good to me. My palate has grown and expects a lot of good flavor.

2.79/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

330 ml bottle poured into a tulip glass. A solid B- beer. Pretty refreshing and would probably pair decently with most foods. Not a beer I'd ever avoid, but not a beer I could ever get excited about drinking. As between this and a Lagunitas Pils, I'd always go for the Lagunitas.

Pilsner Urquell at Veselka in the east village

At this point im surprised to say that pilsner urquell fresh on tap is my favorite beer.

Crystal clear gold, big frothy white head with great retention, persistent lacing.

A little bready, little bit of noble hop flavor, perfectly (very) dry, slight sourdough aftertaste if not completely clean finish, extremely bright and refreshing aroma, high side of moderate carbonation, body isn't too light. Just a perfect easy drinking beer. Without flaw

4.26/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

its sad how in a world dominated by cheap pilsners and American lagers we cant have beer like this more often. I feel as if the pilsner market has not been taken over by the craft companies for we live in IPA world. This beer makes the soul happy, and is so refreshing. The original, the best pilsner, Pilsner Urquell. And I don't even like pilsners!

4.59/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fermented on oak, this benchmark beer is one of the greats. It was one of Michael Jackson's (the beer guy not the singer) all time favourite beers. I could drink this all day long.

If you don't like it, come back to this one after you've rated a few hundred beers on the site. I honestly don't think I would've liked it nearly as much when I first joined Beer Advocate and was still exploring ale styles.

All that being said, the lightstruck green bottle version does not do the tall boy can version justice.

3.75/5  rDev +5%

a crisp clean refreshing beer with a small amount of bitterness that does not necessarily improve but doesn't hurt the taste of the beer, a nice, spicy, classic, pilsner beer

I will add that while this isn't necessarily what i'd call a great beer it is one that I dearly love,

it's not the kind of thing that will probably leave a lasting impression for, but for those like me who never really drank macros to begin with it is a pleasant surprise and a beer worth your time

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a fizzy yellow urine color.

Aroma is primarily hay, grassy notes, and very mild hops.

Taste is very grassy up front, followed by some iron and earthiness. I get some lemon zest in the beer also. The finish is a surprisingly mild bitterness.

Overall lagers are not my style, but this one is decent. Very sessionable, however, still not enough flavor for me. I pair it with bacon-cheddar flavored popcorn or chips and quest dip. It gets a 70.5/ 100 from me.

2.34/5  rDev -34.5%

No flavor but a hop aftertaste.

4.52/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: dark yellow with great clarity and a foamy thick white head

Aroma: bready and yeasty, like fresh bread, well balanced aroma

Taste: explosion of Pilsner malt flavor, toaster than most American versions, but with a very fresh bread flavor, and just enough bitterness on the finish to keep it balanced perfectly.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, high carbonation, medium finish

Overall: The first, and hands down the best Czech Pilsner in the world. Fresh bread flavors with hints of toastiness, balanced by just enough hop bitterness on the finish to keep it in perfect balance. A beauty to behold, smell, and, especially, drink.

2.5/5  rDev -30%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not that great, average beer.

3.77/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

330ml brown bottle poured into a 0.5L Pilsner Urquell mug. Best before Oct 27, 2015 printed on the reverse of the bottle.

The beer pours a crisp, pale, golden color, very clear with about 2 fingers of foamy white head, loose bubbles that has moderate retention and yields sticky spotted lace. The aroma is simple, pale golden malt, a little sweet, a little bready, light noble hops, earthy with little bitterness. The flavors echo the nose, very crisp and earthy noble hops, a little bit raw and green, just a touch of bitterness, pale bready malt, a bit crusty but very easy and soft. The mouthfeel is nice, very smooth, coating, moderate carbonation feels good, creamy finish that has a lightly dry bite.

Verdict: A nice Czech Pilsener, easily the benchmark beer for the style. Despite the simplicity inherent to the style, this definitely hits the spot, crisp, refreshing, easy and balanced.

4.06/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

My first import beer I started to drink in my young days. I still love it, but it doesn't hit you as quick as other beers. But it will always be my first love. I am glad the bottles were upgraded from the '90s. The lip cracked off quite a bit back in the day.

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Better than the rating. Could drink these all day

3.18/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This is a Czech Pilsener, from the Czech Republic, so you'd expect it to be good right? Well, it is, at least as much as a Czech Pilsner can be. It's smooth and crisp with very little aftertaste, or really any taste at all. It's not the most flavorful beer you could reach for. You did reach for a pilsner though, so you should have expected that. I've heard stories about the bottled version of this almost always being skunked, so when I found a 4-pack of their "limited edition" cans, I decided to take the plunge and see what this beer was all about. It was exactly as I expected, nothing more nothing less, and is why I gave it the ratings I did.

Overall, it's a highly drinkable and smooth beer. The brewery has been around a long, long time, so they know how to make their beers. Don't buy it expecting to be blown away, but it will be a quality Czech Pilsner.

3.18/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A solid pilsner, as it should be since it's from Plzen. The main downfall for me was the metallic aftertaste that lingered when I was done drinking it. That being said, pilsners aren't my favorite style so I am probably ranking lower due to that.

4.29/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

great beer, nice body, fantastic taste

3.79/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

One of the best non-German lagers, now available in a brown bottle.

Served cool from 500ml bottle into Veltins pilsner mug.

L) Deep amber colour, clear, lots of small bubbles rising. Fluffy white head.

S) Creamy, sweet malt. The brown bottle definitely makes a difference.

T) Slightly bitter, light toffee malt. Bitterness lingers in the aftertaste more than I remember.

F) Refreshing, although the bitter aftertaste does detract from the refreshment.

O) Good lager, good price.

4.34/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Since changing there bottles and doing this express ship, things have improved. Flavor profile is much more pronounced. Get a lot of grains and hay type smells. Very nice malty taste. Very drinkable. The negative on this is the new bottle. Its 11.2 Fl. oz. compared to the 12 fl. oz. they use to sell. Feels like i"m being cheated. The brown bottle is nice. I went to the town of Zlin in the Czech Republic last year and had this and other beers in casks. There is no comparison. A totally different beer. The wow factor was going on due to how good this beer is on tap in the Czech Republic. The best pilsner I've had anywhere. So smooth going down. So drinkable. Very addicting. But I have to rate the shipped version. Again, much better with the new bottles and express ship. Such a low rating for a beer that deserves much more. If it were sold they way they serve it in the Czech Republic it would be 5's across the board . Hey! At least we get it.

Good brew!

4.35/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look - looks as good as a pilsner can I guess. Never seen a really impressive one, well from the bottle at least. Looks like it is low in carbonation. Could also retain its head a little better.

Smell - As of 2015ish Pilsner Urquell have seen the light and are now using brown bottles rather than green thus the beer seeing less light. The result of this is that I can't ever remember this beer smelling so good! Smells like it should, clean but sharp.

Taste - This really is the best tasting Pilsner I've had. Definitely my favourite in its style. There is just so much going on with this in comparison to the others and every time I try a new pilsner I follow it with Urquell and the others just seem boring. I love the sharp bite to this and hop profile.

Feel - the carbonation that is not evident in look makes a big appearance in the mouthfeel, exactly where it should be. Nice a wet how a pilsner should be.

Overall - I have read the bad reviews of this beer from a few years ago and I remember back then not liking this beer so much but the last two years there has been a big improvement that has been bolstered further recently with the new brown bottle. Try it again is all I can say.

Pilsner Urquell from Plzeňský Prazdroj