Pilsner Urquell - Plzeňský Prazdroj

Plzeňský Prazdroj visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,363 | Hads: 3,308
3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

from the bottle. poured light honey with a nice size white head. aroma, malts, hops some skunkieness but not to bad grains. flavor, citrus, malts hints of sugar and a bitter sourness. not to bad, very easy to drink will make a good hot summer day beer to just throw down. (271 characters)

A true classic. What is to be expected from the original pilsner. The perfect combination of taste, smell, drinkability, appearance, and mouthfeel. This is truly the standard by which all pilsner- style beers are, or at least ought to be measured! Cheers!! (256 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

On tap in Prague. There are a few beers you'll find everywhere in the czech republic, and this was probably my favorite among them.

Appearance is quite nice. Presented in a pilsner glass with a very nice, slowly receding head. The aroma is full of hoppiness and malt, though it doesn't quite help to convey the quality of beer you're about to receive. Flavor is very crisp and refreshing, with a sizeable hop bite to it. Really a fantastic pilsner. It also proves to be a very drinkable beer. I came back to it more than any other while i was in prague, and if it weren't for the drunken stupor that would result i wouldn't mind drinking this thing for hours upon hours. (673 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +5.2%

Got one of the massive half liter cans from a friend who got me a bunch of beer when she was in Prague. Poured a clear, deep yellow, with massive head. Smell and taste were both very crisp, with a very satisfying taste. The beer went down smoothly, although the mouthfeel wasn't quite all there. (295 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -28.8%

Presentation: 12oz green bottle, 4.4%ABV, Expiring in 4 months.

Appearance: Dark morning piss yellow (sorry, if it sounds vulgar...). I would probably describe it as brownish/reddish yellow with amber copper reflets. Good head of white foam when pour. It didn't lasts for a very long time.

Smell: Skunk alert! Damn, it was awful when I uncapped my bottle.

Taste: Bitter. It got taste, but I don't really like it. Tastes too much like the smell.

Mouthfeel: Very common. Not much to say here.

Drinkability: I don't know if I was unlucky, but the beer seems overated. Skunkness seems too usual with the "high-class" product. I already miss my Eggenberg (reviewed during the same current session.) (709 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -32.9%

Bottle with 7 months to go until use by date. Poured clear light gold with a small head which disipated very quickly despite giving the pour plenty of air. Suspect I have smelt my first skunk (we don't have any of that particular animal over here in Australia, other than in some of our beers) - first aroma was unpleasant to say the least. Picked up a little grass under the skunk aroma, but not much else. Felt somewhat watery in the mouth, and the taste was dominated by astringent bitterness. Either I got a particularly badly light affected bottle, or I do not like the Pilsner style. Will be definitely seeking out some pilsners on tap to make sure it is not the latter. (676 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -15.5%

Decent beer. I work with a couple of guys who love this beer and continually try to turn me on to it. It is ok, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it. My biggest issue si with the taste/smell - it is failry bitter to me, not the type of beer that goes down smooth and I say "ahhh" aftwerwards. Has more of a bite to it. Again, it is decent - I would not complain if this was all I had to drink for a night, but it wouldn't be a preference of mine. (451 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +21.5%

This beer poured a golden yellow color with a small head that sat over the beer. The nose had some light honey sweetness over a some nice noble hops. It smelled nice. The flavor is nice, with refreshing noble hop bitter flavor. Right where I want things in a pilsner. The feel was moderate in body and in carbonation. Crisp and refreshing. One of the better pilsner beers I have had in a long time. I will definately be having this again in the near future. (457 characters)

3.68/5  rDev 0%

A beer that is found at every Croatian soccer tournament and post game celebration here in the Sault. Great beer to relax and unwind to. Hops are clearly present on the nose, and the taste is superbly balanced with hoppy bitterness. Recommended strongly for the lover of a great import to which all pilsners in North America are based upon. (340 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: deep gold, bubbly white head, lots of streaming bubbles

Smell: lemony and quite subtle

Taste: wonderful Saaz hops, grassy, citrus, smoky spicy

Mouthfeel: think champagne; dry, crisp, lots of carbonation

Drinkability: very refreshing and light, great in the summertime; a little fragile, should be consumed cold because it can get pretty "watery" as it warms: think Coors Light (401 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -3%

Sampled out of the can, I've never dared to try it out of the green bottles.

Appearance: Golden/straw yellow, with a fluffy head that died down into patchy clumps that floated around the light lacing, something I don't recall ever seeing from any other pilsner, czech, macro or other. So it wins a bonus 0.5 points for that.

Smell: Here again, compared to most of it's imitators, you can totally smell the grassy Saaz. I'm not hop-biased, it's just as good to me as Cascade or Hallertau or all the others when it's given the chance to shine, like in this case.

Taste: Mid to light carbonation, light maltyness and grassyness, finished clean with mild hoppy aftertaste. (677 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a golden color, small head, decent lacing, high carbonation. Great saaz hop flavor in this bitter beer. Highly refreshing and drinkable. I suggest you get this beer on tap since it can suffer from being shipped and stored in green bottles (like Heniken). (260 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear golden color with a white head that leaves minor lacing on the glass.

Nose is grassy and typical of the saaz hops.

Tastes soft and smooth. Very crisp malt flavor in the beginning with the mild bite of the saaz hops towards the end. Well done and balanced, but not complex in any way.

Mouthfeel is as would be expected, light bodied and pleasant.

Highly drinkable brew, and one to be respected. It is THE ORIGINAL pils, though I have heard that they changed the recipe a little? (503 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a 10 oz. pilsner glass. Deep gold beer topped with a thin layer of white foam. Heavy carbonation, little lacing effects. Pretty typical of the style, although the color was bolder than a lot of pilsners.

Aroma is heavy on the hops, and oddly enough, the smell of my old grade-school cafeteria. Weird! Maybe that's an antiseptic tone coming through.

Taste is sharp and not particularly pleasant. Not much by way of malt or hops, more tangy grass than anything else.

Mouthfeel is light, scouring, with that sharpness lingering after the swallow.

Actually found this tastes better straight from the bottle than poured, but not by much. I wouldn't turn it down on a hot day, but I wouldn't seek it out either. (729 characters)

Appearance – This one poured a clear but heavy orange in color with a good, strong, stubborn white head.

Smell – The hops are light and delicate and mate well with the smallest of grain influence. The nose here is well-balanced and nicely put together.

Taste – The delicate but firm grain mixes nicely with the traditional hops. The balance is what really makes this Pils, IMHO.

Mouthfeel – This is big, I’d say a solid medium-bodied, with some light carbonation and an incredibly smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability – This really is the standard for accessible Czech Pils here in the US. It went down wonderfully. I can’t believe I’m not getting a review up on the site for this guy until Jan 2005. (714 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -22.8%

Appearence: Pours your typical pilsener color with a white head. The only thing that makes the look stand out is the oddly spotted carbonation.

Smell: Pale euro lager all the way. Bad malts and bad hops make an even worse mix.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Mostly hops. Not too much malt. The hops are generic and a little gross, but the malts aren't bad. The mouthfeel is thin but decenlty creamy.

Drinkability and Overall: Rumor has it that this beer a while back was killer, and recently it's quality has seen a great decline. And that bothers me. This beer has the potential to be crisp clean pilsener, but fails to prove itself. Seems like a waste.... (656 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

Tasted in a side by side comparison with Steam Whistle pilsner.

Deep golden yellow in colour bordering on amber, crystal clear liquid topped by a stark white and spunge like cap of foam that dissipates rapidly.

Aromas are faithfully pilsner-like. Compact notes of malted cereal accented by a firm saaz hop presence that reminds one of freshly cut grass. The finish is floral with hints of grain permeating briefly.

Once in the mouth, the brew is silky and firmly textured. A solid malt signature signifies its presence up front but is suddenly overtaken by fresh hop flavours and a crisp and cleansing bitterness. The finish is relatively long and pleasant and is clearly monopolised by the noble hops.

This is a very enjoyable lager, and a standard bearer for the style in my opinion. To be able to taste it from a can rather than the green bottle is really a priviledge as this form of packaging assures quality much more consistently. (949 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured into a tall pilsner glass. The body is hazy gold. Bright white head, puffy and frothy, falls gradually and leaves some hunks of lace on the glass.

Smell:

Musty lemon rinds, fresh cut grass, sourdough bread. Not bad at all. Not as skunked as I expected it might be from the bottle, as I've had it on tap plenty of times sans skunk.

Taste:

Upfront prick of sweetness (powdered sugar) followed by a broad sweep of cirtusy hop sizzle and tangy yeast. Aftertaste is a lingering, almost puckering tartness.

Mouthfeel:

Plenty of carbonation. Slides just right over my palate -- refreshing. (609 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

I do agree with our friend Voodoo from Louisiana about having a Pils in the Rep., but I think the Czechs could do with a little improvement with the taste. The appearance is wonderful, but the taste is not the best, and claiming that they are the best, they need to prove it. (275 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +2.2%

Sampled in bottle, too bad cannot get my hands on cans.

Dark gold color even to the amber point, lot of little bubbles dancing around for the first 30 secs then the bubbles left the dance floor. Smell hoppish, not as strong as expected, a bit dissapointed here

Tastes, hops, a tiny bit bitter nothing much even to a sweet point, caramel flavours, not very complex,

The mouthfeel is good, very drinkable

So this is THE PILSNER, well I'm dissapointed, but I must try to find it on tap or can. (503 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +21.7%

I've had this beer out of bottles here in the United States before, and frankly wasn't as blown away as I thought I would be, given the great prestige of this trail-blazing beer.
However, drinking this beer on tap in an authentic Czech beer pub is an entirely different matter. Ambiance and all else aside, Urquell really does taste vastly better in Prague, from the source if you will, than it does from an imported bottle.
The beer pours a wonderful crystal clear gold with a generous, creamy white head that leaves plenty of tracings down the glass. And while the barmeisters in Prague will give you more foam than you may be used to, it settles a little to give back some beer but still retains plenty of foam. As far as taste goes, I found this to be a little creamier, not quite as dry, and in general much more enjoyable than I think pilsners can tend to be. There was no thin, watery characteristic that I think can be found in some pilsners, and I don't just mean lite macro-brews.
This beer was almost as smooth and easy-going as could be (for a CO2 tap anyhow) and immensely thirst-quenching. I'd say the most drinkable beer I've ever had the privilege of quaffing. (1,182 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours out a slightly hazy golden color with a 2 finger head.Smells like beer,,has no standout smell.Taste was good, sweet with a little piney hop kick to it.Mouthfeel was ok nothing special. All in all a pretty good beer,will pick up a few more to keep on hand. (261 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +19.6%

The head is tiny.. but it's not skunked or anything. In fact it's still well carbonated. The golden color is eye-catching enough.

The maltiness starts off big and then tapers off nicely. Then a pleasant bitterness.. mmm.. tasty. The body is a bit thin, so it may be a better summer drink. But I would still definitely keep 6 of these in the fridge year round.

I think Pilsner Urquell would pair well with bar food / fish and chips. (438 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Not what it used to be ... the "Mother Pils" has had it's rough edges worn off. Gone is any trace of skunk but also missing is a certain crisp, hoppy mouthfeel which used to define this beer.

Still nice medium white lace head that stays and a nice golden colour.

Aroma is milder than in the past with trace of grass and hops.

Taste has just a touch of sweetness and citric undertones but more muted than I recall.

Finishes dry with a medium aftertaste.

Excellent session beer, or hot weather quencher.

Very good Pilsner but perhaps no longer a "benchmark". Good value in the British Columbia market - the land that Pilsner forgot.

Recommended (649 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Finally had one of these on tap last night. Tried it before from a bottle, but it was skunked to high-heaven. (big surprise)

Poured with a finger of head. Healthy golden color. Aroma is just a kiss of hoppiness.

Taste - Oh, this is what a "light" beer is supposed to be. Nothing earth shattering, just lightly hoppy and delicious. This is the first time I've tasted saaz hops and simply enjoyed it instead of wishing it was cascade, chinook, or centennial instead. I would keep this in my fridge on a regular basis if I could buy it in good condition. Perfectly drinkable.

So it's brewed with 70something percent hop extract now? Oh, well. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean bad beer. (701 characters)

Pilsner Urquell from Plzeňský Prazdroj