2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,356 | Reviews: 1,230 | Show All Ratings:
Rifrafboy

This came out of a nice big bottle. Pours like a typical European Pilsner, with a dry white head. Smell is malty and fruity. Very skunky, but not so much it detracts from the taste. Taste is very smooth and malty. The hops are very pronounced, being nicely bitter. Vey bold taste. Excellent mouthfeel. A bit more body than German Pilsners. This is one of the best.

03-27-2003 16:02:42 | More by Rifrafboy
mickstepp

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

So this is the original, the beer we have to thank for insipid watery American macro lagers? I'll try not to hold that against it.

It certainly looks like a yellow fizzy beer. But with more aroma. Very crisp taste. Some hop character.

Is Urquell better than Bud/Miller/Coors? Certainly. Is it better enough? I guess I'm just not a big fan of the Pilsner style.

03-24-2003 05:06:14 | More by mickstepp
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

There are a lot of Euro-lagers in the B.C. liquor store and mediocracy seems to be the norm for most, however Pilsner
Urquell is a step above. The colour is pale straw and clear as
a summer's day. The nose is fresh and grassy due to the Saaz
hops that predominate. I loved the drinkability combined with the
complex flavours which many lagers lack. This beer also is
drinkable as it warms up which is death for most lagers.

Try this brew in a 500ml can as it is less likely to be skunky
on the shelf

03-21-2003 14:07:17 | More by canucklehead
AtLagerHeads

3.88/5  rDev +9%

This was my first true Czech Pilsner and it was very ejoyable. The look is crystal clear and a beautiful light bronze with a moderate head that thins down quickly, but laces throughout the glass. The fruity overlay creates an interesting first impression, and it fills in nicely with a fullness of grainy body. I understand this beer needs to be quite fresh because of the packaging or it will spoil rather quickly. Fortunately, mine seemed absolutely fresh. Recommended for a nice session beer.

03-08-2003 02:54:35 | More by AtLagerHeads
Stubbie1

Connecticut

3.03/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a nice golden color with a fine head that leaves as fast as it got there. Both a hint of hops and malt is present in the aroma. The starting taste is well-balanced crisp with malt but the finish is hops, (yum!) nice and dry. Drink ability is fine, but I have had better. A average pilsner from the bottle. Would like to try it from draft.

02-26-2003 18:38:27 | More by Stubbie1
Anonmatel

Australia

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Not much can be said about this ber that hasn't been said already, comes in a green bottle, which i was suprised to find no skunk, i must have gotten lucky.
Lovely white foam of a head which leaves lace on the sides of the bottle.
It's got the usual Pilsener style, but it's a lot cleaner than most.

It's a good session drink thats for sure, but because this is the pilsener that other brewers have worked from in trying to copy the style, there isn't really mush else i can say.

02-20-2003 05:28:10 | More by Anonmatel
brakspear

Wisconsin

No skunkiness in my sample bottle. The distributors must have better quality control now that the Original Pilsener is in the SABMiller pipeline....

The body is a near perfect golden color with a nice soft head that forms well but diminished a bit too quickly.

The aroma does seem a bit muted from what I remember in the past, the Saaz hop character is still present, as well as a nice soothing malt nose. Malt becomes more dominant as the beer sits in the glass.

The taste is a fine balance of a soothing malt character, not really sweet, but more breadlike; and a spicy Saaz bitterness. Again, not quite what I remember in the past, but still a nice representative of the Czech pilsener style.

This is an extremely drinkable beer, as long as you get a fresh non-skunked bottle. I envy those that can sample this beer on tap.

02-15-2003 17:43:48 | More by brakspear
BitteBier

Indiana

3.63/5  rDev +2%

After drinking this beer's green-bottled peers, I I had my doubts. But this is the best of that hardly noteworthy bunch. Clear and deeply golden pour topped with a reasonable amount of creamy foam that dissipates to some fine lace but is fed by fairly persistent carbonation. Fresh, grainy smell with detectable hops and malts instead of green-bottle skunkiness. Smooth, crisp texture. Taste starts out crisp as well with a malty-sweet middle and a more balanced finish as the bitterness (as well as dryness) picks up again. Mouthfeel is fine; this beer coats the mouth a bit. Drinkability is likewise fine. There are better beers out there, but this one goes down nicely.

02-01-2003 19:02:09 | More by BitteBier
Naerhu

Japan

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

I fear green bottles and generally have no respect for producers who bottle green. Having said that this was a fine brew. Fine bubbles, lacking serious head (or have I just been drinking too much belgian?), Beautiful gold with slight red tint. Bold malt aroma with hoppy floral tones. Elegant long lasting bitterness.

01-31-2003 18:19:37 | More by Naerhu
cretemixer

Indiana

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Good looking beer, but I got skunked again. Pours a light, clear golden color with a pure white head that fades fast. I smelled the "skunk skank" as soon as I opened it. I guess that's what I get for shopping someplace other than my usual store--or what they get for using those damned green bottles. Buttery flavor with a hint of malts. Not overly malty though, pretty well balanced. Tastes much better than it smells ( but it smells pretty bad!) Mouthfeel is above average. Slightly slick but not too heavy. Good carbonation for the style.

Overall drinkable, but the skunk smell dropped this a good 1/2 a point.

01-30-2003 14:37:10 | More by cretemixer
ethosx19

3.13/5  rDev -12.1%

F***ing green bottles. This one was skunked pretty badly. The head was impressive and the taste was good. I could detect a good amount of hops, but the smell was so bad I had to finish it quickly. I need to try this on tap. I'm not going to buy any more bottles unless I'm sure they have been properly stored.

01-22-2003 13:38:32 | More by ethosx19
shirfan

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured a perfect golden with a fluffy, white as snow head.

Aroma did nothing for me. Hints of kelp baking in the sun mingled with the all-too-familiar european hops gone bad due to photons getting through a green bottle.

Taste was grassy and organic, dry finish, ok mouthfeel. I'm sure this is fairly sublime when not skunked, but I won't know from this bottle.

Still it carried itself well for all the abuse by light...I won't seek out any more bottles of this, but will most definitely sample it on tap if I ever find it. I can't get past the odd smell, it keeps reminding me of the sea grass that washes up in the Florida keys and just bakes into an warm, herbal salty aroma.

Regional pilsners in appropriate brown bottles do a lot more for me.

01-20-2003 18:28:13 | More by shirfan
texascarl

Kansas

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

Color = golden amber, clear, medium carbonation. Medium head, lacing evident as foam recedes.

nose = Hoppy, clean

Taste = clean flavor, medium body, long finish, hops = bitter and really outvote the malt here (Saaz hops might make good Chicago democrats!) This is the Pilsner I think of when someone says 'Pilsner'. Very drinkable, an enjoyable beer that's great with food.

01-18-2003 18:35:51 | More by texascarl
stoutlove77

Arizona

4.78/5  rDev +34.3%

The feel of this brew is clean and crisp. Its golden color with white head is a clear example of this unique pilsner that pleases as a thirst quencher . The taste is fresh with the mild notes that just go down smooth. I think it would be great to have it slightly frozen to enjoy with some good food.

01-06-2003 10:22:25 | More by stoutlove77
Reverand

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

Beautiful crystal clear golden in color. A fluffy white head that clung to the sides of the glass all to the bottom. Pure hop aroma that makes your mouth salivate. A full taste explosion that led to a dry aftertaste. Certainly this is the grand daddy of all pilsners.

01-06-2003 01:04:07 | More by Reverand
Kunsan90

The beer poured a nice dark wheat color with a decently sized white head. Tasting revealed a quick bitter bite with a dry somewhat spicy aftertaste. The beer felt very light in the mouth with a malty aroma. The beer went down nice and easy and left me wanting another.

01-04-2003 17:18:28 | More by Kunsan90
Gusler

Arizona

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%

As for me, this has always been the benchmark beer that I judge all other Pilsners against, but it has slipped in quality over the last several years, and mores the pity. The beer pours the archetypal pilsner a translucent gold or straw color, the head impressive in size, frothy and bright white, with the lace fine silky sheets to cover the glass. Nose is all malt, lightly sweet, as is the start with a skinny top. Perkily acidic finish with the hops pleasing in their spicy bite, dry aftertaste and to me still one of the best "Pils" brewed anywhere.

01-03-2003 12:36:46 | More by Gusler
Amdahl

Iowa

2.95/5  rDev -17.1%

This beer was severed to me from a green bottle. I found the taste to be a little skunky in the beginning but became less skunky as the beer warmed. The smell was much the same. I was able to drink a few of these beers. Not the beer I was expecting. I will not be buying this one again. Not a great pilsner, but a average one.

01-02-2003 20:20:19 | More by Amdahl
SchmichaelJ

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

I was pleased at having the opportunity to review this beer on draught...I'd been warned about the tendency for some bottles to become skunky. It presented with a clear gold appearance with little carbonation, small head with short retention and little lacing. I detected a crisp hop smell, and very subtle skunky odor. It still held a crisp taste, with the Saaz noticeable as ever. The beer also had a nice crisp, clean finish with a pleasing bitterness. The medium- to light-body made for a rather tingly and full mouthfeel. Pilsner Urquell is a good beer to have on tap, but I was slightly disappointed that its taste did not quite live up to its reputation and esteem as the first true pilsner. Nonetheless, it is an enjoyable brew that I'd be happy to consume at any given time.

12-31-2002 17:53:33 | More by SchmichaelJ
Zraly

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a golden yellow with a fluffy, pocked white head. It laced nicely down the sides of the glass.

The overall smell and flavor of this pilsner was on the skunky side for me. My initial sip was actually quite pleasant...it had a sugar cookie flavor to it, with a hint of grain and honey. But, as the beverage warmed the slightest bit, it seemed to develop an "off" taste...and the skunk element seemed to increase as well. So essentially one must drink this fast :) But overall, a good brew.

As for the body, there is a fullness to beverage, even though it lighter by nature. I sense that it has potential and/or has the makings of a good beer. I'd like to try it on tap. Appropriate for the summertime?

12-28-2002 21:03:49 | More by Zraly
SaunaKing

Ontario (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%

Pilsner Urquell is a dark golden colour with little head that disappears straight away - you need to pour it from two feet away to get much head. The smell is pleasant with a little bit of honey in it.
Tastes pretty good, not great like the repuation. I get a little honey in the slightly bitter aftertaste. It goes down smoothly but there is something in the taste I am not too crazy about, it seems a little heavier than other pilsners even though it is only 4.4%.

Good with a salty snack or a meal but I won't be downing a bunch of these in a bar anytime soon.

Serving type: can

12-27-2002 17:27:45 | More by SaunaKing
Winter

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured a clear golden color with a thin white head that disappated quickly. Bubbles present from carbonation. Aroma consisted of hops with a slight fruitiness to it. Mouthfeel was light and crisp. Taste has an initial hop bitterness to it with a bready malt with a slight lemony tang to it. Finish was a little bitter with a slight skunkiness to it.

I remember last having this about 4 or 5 years ago and it seems to have lost something in the meantime. PIlsner Urquell once seemed to be the benchmark for other Pilsners to be compared to. It is still a good Pils, but not something I'd hold in such high regard anymore.

12-22-2002 16:25:02 | More by Winter
Mark

2.8/5  rDev -21.3%

This beer proved to me why I avoid green bottles and why I rarely drink anything but ale anymore. Nice golden color but no head and very little lace. Skunky aroma was overpowering, only subsiding after I was almost done with it. Plain malty sweet taste, this beer I thought was supposed to be one of the kings of lagerdom, I think it has abdicated.

12-08-2002 20:41:08 | More by Mark
doho95fu

3.95/5  rDev +11%

Golden and clear with a thick white head. The smell is of some hops and pils. The taste is not earth-shattering but it is definitely refreshing. Good carbonation and this beer is totally drinkable. I will get these when I know I will be drinking with my macro friends and don't want to end up in a puddle.

12-03-2002 07:12:11 | More by doho95fu
ThreePistols

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Bright gold color, good foamy creamy head, nice lace, hops, grassey, malt aroma, with faint detection of skunkiness; smooth, crisp, balanced malt and hops flavor, refreshing and satisfying, smooth dry hop aftertaste.

A good pilsner for a hot summer Florida day.

Prosit.

12-03-2002 06:44:45 | More by ThreePistols
Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.