Pilsner Urquell - Plzeňský Prazdroj

Plzeňský Prazdroj visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,351 | Hads: 3,264
2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

the bottle i had was six weeks past the "best before" date, so im not sure if that affected this beer.
the color was a dark shade of gold.
what im not sure about is the flavor/aroma. it wasnt real bad but wsa stonger than i expected. the roasted/malt/caramell flavor and aroma just didnt seem right. maybe im wrong but i expected more of a subdued beer from a pilsner. (371 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -2.4%

Ive heard that many consider this the standard for the style, so while I had had it on numerous occassions in the States I was eager to try this beer in its native habitat.

Color was slightly lighter than other Bohemian Pilsners I have had, but still exhibited a luminous golden color with bright white head. The head is short-lived and all that remains after 5 or so minutes is a light and delicate lace down the side of the glass. Its taste reminded me much more of a German Pilsner. Its herb like tastes were not as pungent as a German Pils but were noted all the same. This brew has a heavier hop profile as well. I, for one, welcomed this characteristic (God oh how I miss IPAs), it broke the monotony of lightly hopped brews. By no means is this a hoppy brew, just more so than most varities of beer in Europe (including Pilsners). Its mouthfeel seemed a little watery and as the brew does not finish as clearly as other Pils (like Budvar and a few more I cant spell well enough to write) drinkability is not its strongest aspect. All the same one could quaff several of these with little problem, its just that there are more drinkable brews out there. Many would probably beg to differ with me, but that was simply my two cents.

All in all a solid beer and worth a try. (1,283 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -28.5%

It had a spicy aroma along with the a really nice size head. the body was clear and well carbonated, the bubbles exploded when they hit the air.

Taste was of barley malt and bitter hops blending softly together. The bottle version was a little sweeter, almost sour and verry bitter!

I dont Know if it was old, lightnigstruck, skunked, or that what the bottle version taste like!! (392 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +13.3%

Was cruising the local grocery store for a decent beer to go with dinner, and I noticed one case of Pilsner Urqeull hiding underneath a shelf. Since I haven't had a good pilsner in a while, I winced at the $14.99 cost and brought it home.

Poured a perfectly clean golden color with only a small representation of a white head. Effervesence never stops, and bubble continue to stream upwards through the glass. The smell is sweet wonderful Saaz (quite possibly my favorite noble hop) balanced by pale malt. I occasionally caught a whiff of green apples. The taste is crisp and clean with a nice hoppy bite, lightly malty in the middle, and pleasantly dry hop finish. Very balanced, and exceptionally tasty, I look forward to having several of these tonight! (759 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Peppery from the Saaz with a balanced malt sweetness. The bite is pleasant, gradual, and quick to leave. Much more body than I expected from a pilsner. The finish is rather metallic, raw and grainy, lightly citric, sweet. Pale, but with some character -- good head retention and lacing -- this is easily better than any domestic pilsner. Hop extract or not, the Saaz is well-defined and expertly proportioned.

Remember, beer is almost completely water and the water used here is significantly softer and itself more flavorful than most water in the world. Above all, this gives it a distinct character and, as unfortunate as it is that the brewery has resorted to business over brewing (I thought it odd that this beer was available in almost every convenience store I went into), it can't use any other water and will, therefore, never lose its prodigy.

Relax, relax.
ng (879 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Another reviewer expressed his shock and delight at finding this beer on his local store shelf. I feel the same way about finding this at a 7-Eleven in the Loop amid the malt liquor 40's and Foster's oil cans (credit an advertising push that's reached beyond beer magazines to transit shelters). I first tried this from a 22 oz bottle on the train home, late at night, suffering from a cold. It made a really good impression. Nice little head formed in the bottle, and a really sharp Saaz hop bite I would never have expected in a pale lager. Really helped ease my suffering. Since then, I've found fresh American pilseners I liked even better, which don't have to travel in green bottles. (689 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +6%

I'm always amazed whenever I go to my local small-town supermarket and find this beer getting shelf space. My local market only carries about 15-20 brands of beer, macros included, but it's a lucky stroke for me that the buyer is knowledgeable enough to give this fine beer it's props, even in the Texas boonies.

This beer bills itself as the daddy of all pilsners, and the research says that it's pretty much a true statement. Although I'm not impressed with their website, it does provide some rudimentary historical background on how the beer was developed.

The beer itself is wonderful. It indeed has all of the traditional characteristics that define a great pilsner beer. It pours crisp and clean, leaving a wealth of head that sticks to the glass all the way down. It has a good, hoppy aroma with no trace of bitterness. It has a fresh taste, smooth and relaxed. Like most pilsners, it doesn't have a ton of mouthpresence, but that's entirely consistent with the style. It finishes well, although a bit dry for my tastes. This particular bottle left with me with a slightly bitter aftertaste, but I don't know how long this sixpack was on the shelf, so I might chalk that up to age.

I'm not sold that this is the greatest pilsner on Earth, but it is one helluva good beer. It's one of the classic beers for it's type, and I recommend that you grab one if you haven't tried it before. Lay a couple of these down with some marinated chicken or some nice pork chops. Your guests will thank you. (1,508 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -7.6%

Medium dark gold color, medium white foamy head. Aroma is grassy and sweet. Hoppy and malty. Nice floral hop flavor, good balance, only slightly bitter. Mouthfeel is full and round. Taste is smooth and full bodied. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. (273 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

I know it ain't what it was, but it's still pretty damn fine.

This is the only lager I drink on a semi-regular basis and still my favorite standard lager. (I do prefer rauchbier, but that's scarcely standard lager.)

The rich, oily mouthfeel has faded a bit (no more pitched lined vats, more's the pity), but you still get that slightly skunky whack of Zatec.

As well, the canned version seems to have stood up to the changes better than the bottled. While the can has always been safer than those damned green glass bottles, these days it seems to retain more of the hop flavour than even unsedimented glass. (617 characters)

Pours to a thick, frothy head that stays with the glass the whole way down. Very strong, distinct hop smell - almost earthy and grasslike in aroma. Excellent color and clarity, with good and consistent carbonation.

Strong, flowery aftertaste with a pleasent mouthfeel and good, strong bite. You'll either love this beer or hate it. I fall into the former camp on this one. (375 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Got a can of this at an embassy reception on 9/8/03. I was very pleasantly surprised by the taste, so made some mental notes to review it. Pilsner Urquell is an old friend, but it is skunky more often than any other beer I've consumed repeatedly. This can was not skunked, and showed why this beer gave birth to one of the most popular beer styles in the world.

Beautiful clear golden straw color under a substantial firm white head that lingers long and leaves outstanding sheets of lace down the glass. The nose is flowery hops, a bit on the mild side, but very pleasant. The mouth is very prickly and quite light, almost watery. The taste is clean and crisp, with lots of flowery sweet and bitter hops tamed only by a smidgeon of malt. The finish is bitter, with a lingering aftertaste that makes your tastebuds scream "Thank you, sir! May I have another!" (862 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Golden colored with a frothy finger of head and a clean, classic Pilsner smell. As the brew disappeared from the glass into my mouth, it left a nice lattice of lace on the sides of the glass. Urquell has a nice, light mouthfeel and a mellow, even flavor with a nice bitterness in the finish. This beer is uncomplex but good and refreshing. (339 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured a darker golden color, with a quick disappearing head. Aroma was moderarately hoppySoft but full and very satisfying first taste, with a crisp tingly mouthfeel. Pleasant lingering aftertaste, much bolder than its American counterparts. A definite step up from Miller and Bud and available everywhere. (307 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +0.8%

From a 12 oz. bottle

Pours out sparkling gold with little head. Lots of carbonation. Looks great.

Smells of hops and not much else. No malt smell save a bit a fresh hay smell.

Bitter taste of hops. Dry. Hops overpower any malt taste completely. Light to medium body. Good taste but I like a bit of malt taste to my pilsner. Taste is nice but it all comes from the hops. Little aftertaste. A good pilsner but not as good as I remember it from a few years back. (468 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -12.2%

Had this one at the local pub. Pours a golden, almost amber color. It has a moderate head that dies off quickly but leaves quite a bit of lacing on the glass. The color threw me off a bit because I was expecting the normal clear yellow for the pilsner. The aroma is malty and grainy. The flavor is a little spicy with the malts being the prevalent taste. There is a little bit of a wheat taste and also some fruits in the back, but not too strong. Finishes bitter. Pretty decent beer. (484 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap poured into a pint glass. It pours a light golden color with one finger of head. There is lots of lacing left on the glass. The smell is fairly malty and a little grassy, not too strong. The taste starts malty, becomes a tad bit grassy, then has a nice bitter finish. The mouthfeel is just alright for a pilsener. The drinkability is nice at 4.4%. A nice drinkable pilsener. (381 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +13.6%

This classic Czech pilsner beer, pours a nice, clear golden colour with a white fluffy head. The aromas first hint at a skunked bottle, but when I let it sit for a few minutes the real aromas of fresh, floral hops, and light background malts came through. The taste of this beer is classic. It is a lightly hopped pilsner that is very clean and easy to drink, especially on a hot summers day. The mouthfeel is thin, but that is to be expected within this style of beer. The drinkability is excellent!

(505 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a nice straw color with a nice wellretained head (looks great in a pilsner glass), high carbonation.Aroma in light and a little iron-like with some sofy bread notes.Some rather sharp hop notes in the finish of this beer it starts out a little malty sweet,a very crip and easy drinking beer.Real nice on tap as well. (321 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Well, I guess it's fair to say most of the good things they say about this beer are true. Not bad for a macro brewery piece of work, but not the Golden Elixir that some folks would have it be.

Looks good in the glass, bright gold in colour, quite clear and pours up a decent off-white head. Leaves early lace.

Smells hoppy and flowery. Quite bitter, of course, with a little touch of malt if you look for it. But hops is what it's all about. (447 characters)

Pale yellow color, decent white head. Smells fresh. Some hops, grains, a little of that green beer skunk. Taste is clean, crisp, with definite hop notes and grain notes, not complex but noticeable. Some metal skunk flavors as well. Better than the average Macro, but not great. I'd like to try the original. (307 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -2.4%

Presentation: 12oz. green bottle with no "bottled on" or "best before" date; purchased as part of a ten beer sampler pack from the West LA Whole Foods on National and Barrington ($12.99).

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, golden orange; fine, 1", snow-white head; light to moderate lacing; not much head retention.

Aroma: Predominantly of grassy, floral hops; mild, grainy, malt undercurrent.

Taste: Gentle malt-sweetness upfront; moderate floral, grassy type hop-bitterness in the finish; faint notes of grain and rye throughout. Medium bodied; smooth, crisp mouthfeel.

Notes: Adequate to decent Bohemian pilsener and nothing more. (645 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served on tap at Heroe's Bar & Grill, La Verne, CA

Poured a nice clear golden color with a quickly-fading small white head. Noted a moderate amount of carbonation.

Smell had a mildly sweet grassiness to it but also a lurking sourness similar to old, wet grass. I'm not sure "skunky" applies here. Maybe it's brewed to be this way.

Taste started off with a malty sweetness that was quickly swept aside by a hops bitterness that lingered long after swallowing.

Feel: carbonation gave this beer a tingly, light, dry feel.

Overall, nothing about this beer impressed me very much. Odd smell and flavor made this a less-than-enjoyable experience. I won't be looking for this one again soon. (699 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +1.1%

An Pilsner that is clearly the standard bearer (as can be expected from a beer brewed in Pilzen, Czech Republic). I let a committed bud drinker sample this, and it made him excited about trying micro brews. Pilsner is not my favorite style, but I can recognize a classy brew when I taste one. The only negative is the lack of a distinct personality. Otherwise a thirst quenching, satsfying, and very welcome addition to my refridgerator. I can get this at $9.99 a 12-pack at a very fresh quality. If I drank a lot of beer, this is what I would buy every time. (559 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22oz. bottle.

I have to say I have had better pilsners. I was looking forward to this brew and I was pretty much disappointed.

It pours a nice golden sunset color. A small disipating head with decent lacing. Unfortunately the smell had a sour skunkiness to it. Moldy straw. Some hops come through but they are mild.

The flavor is a dry grassy flavor. There is a small hop bite. A bit of floral and even a flavor of rye. Over all I have to say the flavor is barely stronger than a poorly made American pilsner. I wonder if it tastes better on tap?

It is crisp and has a refreshing quality to the beer. A medium body. A very basic beer. I did not find this to be a great pilsner. (690 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -17.7%

a mediocre brew, at best. pours a nice golden colour with decent carbonation and a nice looking head. thanks to the green bottle, there's a distinct skunkiness to the smell and the taste, which overpowers the maltiness and grain flavouring of the brew. it's quite a light tasting brew that just isn't anything extraordinary, which is true for the style as a whole. if you emjoy pilsners, i'm sure you'll enjoy this one, but to me, it's just another lackluster brew. (465 characters)

Pilsner Urquell from Plzeňský Prazdroj