Pilsner Urquell - Plzeňský Prazdroj

Plzeňský Prazdroj visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,362 | Hads: 3,304
3.91/5  rDev +6.3%

appearance: deep golden color with a small white head that clings to the glass all the way down much better than the average lager.

smell: has that faint hoppy, skunky european smell to it, not undersireable but doesn't insipre confidence compared to some other beers

taste: starts very mild and then slowly fills your mouth with a mild hop presence, not very bitter though, and then mellows out leaving a smooth aftertaste

mouthfeel: little above average, but still a little on the watery side

drinkability: definately a perfect five, i could drink this all night if i could afford it, goes down easy and not very filling (634 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -19%

Pours a golden color with minimal head, thin lacing and plenty of carbonation.

Faint scent of hops, slight off-taste.

Tastes a little grainy and hoppy, with a slight mineral taste.

The mouthfeel was average, almost like carbonated water. Felt good on the tongue.

This beer is highly drinkable. It's my brother-in-law's stock beer and it's really good out of the bottle on the back porch.

I've found that I like it a little better straight from the bottle than when poured into a mug or pint glass. (513 characters)

The place: SOLIDNÍ NEJISTOTA -- "Solid Uncertainty," downtown Prague. What wasn't at all uncertain was the tremendous PU served there...

Had a few drinks before noticing the PU on tap. After confirming that it was available on tap, the server proceeded to take our next round of orders. Before he even set the drinks on our table, I could smell the fresh Zatec (Saaz) aroma from my glass a distance away -- literally, no joking! I must have looked a nut with my arms around the glass a full two minutes or so before even indulging (Saaz of this caliber are an aphrodisiac for me). And the fresh wondrous taste. Beer Nirvana. Hence my first ever "5.0" review.

Golden, crystal clear color with density of thick foam atop the .5 liter, hefty serving glass. Smelled like it was just released from the factory with full, intense bouquet. Balanced, wet taste of perfect blending of subtle ingredients -- from the delicate malt and water to the bittering & finishing noble hops.

By any standards (esp. downtown Prague), this place is NOT an "institution" -- it is a modern, snazzy, popish restaurant-turned club-atmosphere outing after 9 pm. But the food and fun are a good time (reserve). But, this is not a "Beerfly" review, so over & out. Just happy to know there are still places to experience how uniquely luscious PU can be. (1,333 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%

I have had this beer before, but never reviewed it. It poured out of it's 24 oz. bottle a gold color with a fairly large white head. Has the czech pilsner taste that I don't quite know how to describe. Good amount of hops finishing, with almost a tinge of skunkiness. (267 characters)

3.68/5  rDev 0%

12 oz green bottle with the classic label.

Beer pours a crystal clear light gold with a nice head. Very small and active carbonation. Decent lacing. Exactly what a pilsner should look like.

Beer smells like hops, grass, and crackers. No adjuncts seem to be present

First taste is slightly sour and a little bit fruity. As I drank more, I pick-up a subdued dusty hop taste which is interesting and better tasting than it sounds. Very refreshing and easy to pair with all but the spiciest foods.

Nice smooth mouthfeel with crackling carbonation. Drinkability is also good. Always a good choice on tap or in bottle. (627 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +2.4%

As much as BA's resent mention of skunky beers, I will say that I only purchase this beer in 12-packs, because I have had some bad, bad experiences.

Upon cracking this baby open, my nose is overwhelmed with aromatic hops. The beer pours a nice golden/amber color with a head that pops up and disappears almost immediately. A nice lace-trail follows the beer down to the bottom of the glass.

This is one of those beers that is truly nothing special, but that is why I cherish it. It is just a fine brew. The taste is a nice refreshing pilsner, with a miniscule (but quite noticable) hop presence. I get no malty taste whatsoever.

Again, this beer is nothing to go out of your way for, but it might just be a perfection of the style. I prefer this to Chechvar, and it makes Radegast taste like robot-fuel.

A great beer for a hot day, or when there is nothing else available. I just wish that people would realize that this is a pilsner, and Miller Lite is only a 5th-rate knock-off. I can't believe that people think this beer's taste is objectionable, it tastes like slightly hoppy water to me. (1,107 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -3%

Pilsner Urquell is still one of the classic beers to come out of Europe. The watered down American macro-style beer can probably be deemed as a rip-off of this, the first golden colored beer. While this beer most likely won't hold up well against strong ales and the like, it probably is one of the more flavorful lagers around.

Pilsner Urquell pours a light gold color with a 1 finger foam head that lasts for only around 35 seconds. The smell is kind of light, but it has a clean, slightly hoppy character to it. Some hints of citrus and herbs in the nose. The mouthfeel is crisp and carbonated, and it feels very clean on the palette. As for the flavor, I was lucky to pick up a fresh six-pack, as I couldn't detect any signs of skunkiness (which would have ruined the beer for me). The flavor is quite light on the malt, and the hops seem to be the true focus here. As this was my first time sampling a Pilsner Urquell, it was noticably more bitter than the pale American imitations that I've been used to. The hops lend some citric/minty/herbal/medicinal flavors to the brew. It finishes out dry, and the dryness will linger well after the beer is finished with. This beer ends with a little bit of alcoholic warmth.

Certainly nowhere near the complexity of an ale, but for a lager it isn't too disapointing. I chose this beer as my Thanksgiving beer, and it made for a pretty good selection for the day's festivities. This would probably be better on tap in its homeland, but until I get the opportunity to travel abroad, I'll just have to hunt down some well-stored bottles of this. (1,595 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -13%

A clean golden colour with a small head and low carbonation. No lacing.

Aromas is very simple, yet enjoyable. Saaz hops and some malt is about it. Nice and balanced.

Palate starts with a caramel maltiness that is followed by slight bitterness and some drying of the palate. Again, no complexity, but still enjoyable.

In terms of mass produced imports I like this beer alot more than plenty of the other stuff on offer. Basic, but nice. (444 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -11.4%

Living in the Czech republic for 3 months I've tasted lots of this ohh so common czech beer. Its certainly a gorgeous beer to look at with a creamy head that leaves a well defined lacing.

Even fresh from the keg there is some skunk to it, could have been a bad keg on my most recent tasting. The bottle is worse though. It's more noticiable in the smell thankfully. After the skunk the smell is mostly hops.

The taste of hops is the strongest element of this beer. It's saaz hops, but not as spicy as some of the other czech pils. Theres some maltiness under the surface, which gives the hoppy bite a nice balance. Small notes of sulfer actually work into the flavor.

The aftertaste kills this beer for me though. The lingering taste of the hops feels extremely tinny in my mouth leaving me to wonder what kind of processing it goes through.

Then I take another sip, and it's all good till I swallow.

Lots of carbonation and a good mouthfeel. Unfortuantely aftertaste kills this beer. There are much better pils out there, even if this was the first. (1,069 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -15.5%

"In its usual state in the US: This beer pours with an immediate aroma of skunk. A deep golden clear color, that is topped by a white head. The taste is not as skunked as the aroma. There is a maltiness to this beer. It finishes with a slight bitterness, and seems a bit thin in the body. The Saaz flavor is fairly muted at this point.

When fresh: This beer is quite nice, a nice solid maltyness that helps to express the Saaz hops. I love a good fresh pils when done correctly. Seems to have lost a bit of fullness and complexity over the years but it is still quite good when fresh.

Overall this rates fairly average b/c of the preponderance of storing this in green bottles." (684 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +28.8%

when it comes to pilseners, they rarely come better than this little beauty! from the moment you crack the top off one, you know youre going to be in beer drinking paradise.

the color is a deep golden hue heading towards an orangy amber, and a voluminous head of white beady foam. spectacular saaz hops aromas that never let up, with a sweetish smell combined with the scent of grass clippings and/or straw. quite full bodied for a pilsener, it has a lovely crispness and a firm malt backbone with more straw like notes, sweet lemon aspect present also. the finish is a classic. dry but flavorsome saaz hops bring everything to a stunning climax on the back palate. it just begs you to drink it again and again. wonderful aftertaste that finds everything as it should be. not complex as such, but rarely has saaz been used so perfectly and enjoyably.

you can just keep knocking these back till the cows come home, and never does it lose any of its character. and chilling it does not restrain it in any way. there are few better beers you can drink in the sun, anywhere from a mild to boiling hot day, than pilsener urquell. funny it never really gets that hot over there! (1,180 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

the bottle i had was six weeks past the "best before" date, so im not sure if that affected this beer.
the color was a dark shade of gold.
what im not sure about is the flavor/aroma. it wasnt real bad but wsa stonger than i expected. the roasted/malt/caramell flavor and aroma just didnt seem right. maybe im wrong but i expected more of a subdued beer from a pilsner. (371 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -2.4%

Ive heard that many consider this the standard for the style, so while I had had it on numerous occassions in the States I was eager to try this beer in its native habitat.

Color was slightly lighter than other Bohemian Pilsners I have had, but still exhibited a luminous golden color with bright white head. The head is short-lived and all that remains after 5 or so minutes is a light and delicate lace down the side of the glass. Its taste reminded me much more of a German Pilsner. Its herb like tastes were not as pungent as a German Pils but were noted all the same. This brew has a heavier hop profile as well. I, for one, welcomed this characteristic (God oh how I miss IPAs), it broke the monotony of lightly hopped brews. By no means is this a hoppy brew, just more so than most varities of beer in Europe (including Pilsners). Its mouthfeel seemed a little watery and as the brew does not finish as clearly as other Pils (like Budvar and a few more I cant spell well enough to write) drinkability is not its strongest aspect. All the same one could quaff several of these with little problem, its just that there are more drinkable brews out there. Many would probably beg to differ with me, but that was simply my two cents.

All in all a solid beer and worth a try. (1,283 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -28.5%

It had a spicy aroma along with the a really nice size head. the body was clear and well carbonated, the bubbles exploded when they hit the air.

Taste was of barley malt and bitter hops blending softly together. The bottle version was a little sweeter, almost sour and verry bitter!

I dont Know if it was old, lightnigstruck, skunked, or that what the bottle version taste like!! (392 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +13.3%

Was cruising the local grocery store for a decent beer to go with dinner, and I noticed one case of Pilsner Urqeull hiding underneath a shelf. Since I haven't had a good pilsner in a while, I winced at the $14.99 cost and brought it home.

Poured a perfectly clean golden color with only a small representation of a white head. Effervesence never stops, and bubble continue to stream upwards through the glass. The smell is sweet wonderful Saaz (quite possibly my favorite noble hop) balanced by pale malt. I occasionally caught a whiff of green apples. The taste is crisp and clean with a nice hoppy bite, lightly malty in the middle, and pleasantly dry hop finish. Very balanced, and exceptionally tasty, I look forward to having several of these tonight! (759 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Peppery from the Saaz with a balanced malt sweetness. The bite is pleasant, gradual, and quick to leave. Much more body than I expected from a pilsner. The finish is rather metallic, raw and grainy, lightly citric, sweet. Pale, but with some character -- good head retention and lacing -- this is easily better than any domestic pilsner. Hop extract or not, the Saaz is well-defined and expertly proportioned.

Remember, beer is almost completely water and the water used here is significantly softer and itself more flavorful than most water in the world. Above all, this gives it a distinct character and, as unfortunate as it is that the brewery has resorted to business over brewing (I thought it odd that this beer was available in almost every convenience store I went into), it can't use any other water and will, therefore, never lose its prodigy.

Relax, relax.
ng (879 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Another reviewer expressed his shock and delight at finding this beer on his local store shelf. I feel the same way about finding this at a 7-Eleven in the Loop amid the malt liquor 40's and Foster's oil cans (credit an advertising push that's reached beyond beer magazines to transit shelters). I first tried this from a 22 oz bottle on the train home, late at night, suffering from a cold. It made a really good impression. Nice little head formed in the bottle, and a really sharp Saaz hop bite I would never have expected in a pale lager. Really helped ease my suffering. Since then, I've found fresh American pilseners I liked even better, which don't have to travel in green bottles. (689 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +6%

I'm always amazed whenever I go to my local small-town supermarket and find this beer getting shelf space. My local market only carries about 15-20 brands of beer, macros included, but it's a lucky stroke for me that the buyer is knowledgeable enough to give this fine beer it's props, even in the Texas boonies.

This beer bills itself as the daddy of all pilsners, and the research says that it's pretty much a true statement. Although I'm not impressed with their website, it does provide some rudimentary historical background on how the beer was developed.

The beer itself is wonderful. It indeed has all of the traditional characteristics that define a great pilsner beer. It pours crisp and clean, leaving a wealth of head that sticks to the glass all the way down. It has a good, hoppy aroma with no trace of bitterness. It has a fresh taste, smooth and relaxed. Like most pilsners, it doesn't have a ton of mouthpresence, but that's entirely consistent with the style. It finishes well, although a bit dry for my tastes. This particular bottle left with me with a slightly bitter aftertaste, but I don't know how long this sixpack was on the shelf, so I might chalk that up to age.

I'm not sold that this is the greatest pilsner on Earth, but it is one helluva good beer. It's one of the classic beers for it's type, and I recommend that you grab one if you haven't tried it before. Lay a couple of these down with some marinated chicken or some nice pork chops. Your guests will thank you. (1,508 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -7.6%

Medium dark gold color, medium white foamy head. Aroma is grassy and sweet. Hoppy and malty. Nice floral hop flavor, good balance, only slightly bitter. Mouthfeel is full and round. Taste is smooth and full bodied. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. (273 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

I know it ain't what it was, but it's still pretty damn fine.

This is the only lager I drink on a semi-regular basis and still my favorite standard lager. (I do prefer rauchbier, but that's scarcely standard lager.)

The rich, oily mouthfeel has faded a bit (no more pitched lined vats, more's the pity), but you still get that slightly skunky whack of Zatec.

As well, the canned version seems to have stood up to the changes better than the bottled. While the can has always been safer than those damned green glass bottles, these days it seems to retain more of the hop flavour than even unsedimented glass. (617 characters)

Pours to a thick, frothy head that stays with the glass the whole way down. Very strong, distinct hop smell - almost earthy and grasslike in aroma. Excellent color and clarity, with good and consistent carbonation.

Strong, flowery aftertaste with a pleasent mouthfeel and good, strong bite. You'll either love this beer or hate it. I fall into the former camp on this one. (375 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Got a can of this at an embassy reception on 9/8/03. I was very pleasantly surprised by the taste, so made some mental notes to review it. Pilsner Urquell is an old friend, but it is skunky more often than any other beer I've consumed repeatedly. This can was not skunked, and showed why this beer gave birth to one of the most popular beer styles in the world.

Beautiful clear golden straw color under a substantial firm white head that lingers long and leaves outstanding sheets of lace down the glass. The nose is flowery hops, a bit on the mild side, but very pleasant. The mouth is very prickly and quite light, almost watery. The taste is clean and crisp, with lots of flowery sweet and bitter hops tamed only by a smidgeon of malt. The finish is bitter, with a lingering aftertaste that makes your tastebuds scream "Thank you, sir! May I have another!" (862 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Golden colored with a frothy finger of head and a clean, classic Pilsner smell. As the brew disappeared from the glass into my mouth, it left a nice lattice of lace on the sides of the glass. Urquell has a nice, light mouthfeel and a mellow, even flavor with a nice bitterness in the finish. This beer is uncomplex but good and refreshing. (339 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured a darker golden color, with a quick disappearing head. Aroma was moderarately hoppySoft but full and very satisfying first taste, with a crisp tingly mouthfeel. Pleasant lingering aftertaste, much bolder than its American counterparts. A definite step up from Miller and Bud and available everywhere. (307 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +0.8%

From a 12 oz. bottle

Pours out sparkling gold with little head. Lots of carbonation. Looks great.

Smells of hops and not much else. No malt smell save a bit a fresh hay smell.

Bitter taste of hops. Dry. Hops overpower any malt taste completely. Light to medium body. Good taste but I like a bit of malt taste to my pilsner. Taste is nice but it all comes from the hops. Little aftertaste. A good pilsner but not as good as I remember it from a few years back. (468 characters)

Pilsner Urquell from Plzeňský Prazdroj