Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros

JobyShokk, Dec 09, 2012

JimmyFlatRock, Dec 04, 2012

tmars13, Dec 02, 2012

Garrett092112, Dec 02, 2012
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

To be honest, I really should be reviewing this on tap, because I know from past experience that any Czech pilsner - including macro takes on the style such as this one - taste blissful when served as such. But for now, here's my first Pilsner Urquell ever! Poured into a pilsner glass out of a 12oz bottle. It even has an freshness date, which is labeled as April 30/2013. Pretty impressive yet questionable that a sessionable beer could last that long if you ask me... But it is a pioneering recipe, so I'll go easy on it.

Produces a bright-yellow classic pilsner color with a generous 2 finger head, which dissipates over a slower amount of time than expected. Carbonation shoots to the top of the glass in a festive, active manner. Contains a rather watery and very filtered presentation, but nevertheless is pretty much what I'd expect from this style.

Aroma is surprisingly "skunked" - a good way though - and filled crisp, sugar cane pilsner malts as well as grassy and slightly yeasty smells. There's a strong hop backbone present here, which is delightful and offsets those strong malts that would otherwise be predominant. Can't smell too much alcohol here, but if it's there, it lightly compliments the sweetened body. Smells pretty inviting overall, which is definitely a motivation for drinking this as fresh as possible.

It's definitely as malty as I expected it to be, but the initial hoppiness and funk present in the aroma does release itself as strongly as it did in the flavor as well. Both aspects especially come in full force during the aftertaste. I recommend drinking this colder for fans of such flavors, however - as it warms up the malts become pretty strong and bitter, and its slight thinness reveals itself as the carbonation dies down. The hops are slightly floral and grassy, and lemon tart finish is pretty satisfying. As a session beer, this is easy to drink, and doesn't seem to fill you up too much even after two or three.

When I need a to-go beer of the Czech pilsner style, I will pick this up, even though other beers I've had in this style have excited me more in the past, such as Staropraman. I paired this with a pretty typical Eastern-European meal, consisting of roasted beef with baked carrots, potatoes, and onions and strong broth. The chances of me having this on its own, indeed, are slim. It is supposedly a legendary beer, but, just like Guinness, I really wish I could have tried it years ago before it went super-macro.

magictacosinus, Dec 02, 2012

2.75/5  rDev -23%

Keith_R, Nov 19, 2012

biteme398, Nov 18, 2012
3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

After a day of weightlifting, running, and yardwork, I deserve this. Pairing this with cheddar cheese and smoked salmon.

Poured into a Sam Adams pint glass. Thin head with aggressively rising bubbles. Clear gold in color. Wow, love the smell of this - yeast, malt and just an old school kind of aroma. Reminds me of when I first smelled a beer when I was a kid. Extremely crisp taste - a decent hop punch up front, some mild bitterness at the finish. Also a "yeasty malt" presence. Highly drinkable at 4.4% ABV.

I have a Pilsner Urquell mirror in my basement so I feel obligated to have it once in a while. It simply gets the job done. Pair this with fish or pizza and it doesn't get any better.

Celtics76, Nov 17, 2012
Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.