Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +19%

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

After procuring a 6 pack of Pilsner Urquell in the new "cold shipped" packaging, I have to say it's actually done a good job of preventing skunkiness. The skunk on the aroma has been replaced with mild diacetyl, crackery malt, and zesty hops - not fantastic, but miles better than the lightstruck aroma that plagued my other (single) bottle. The drinkability factor is still there, though admittedly my bottle seems to be low on hops. I'm upping scores all around; without a doubt this is the best macro lager in the business.

---

12 fl oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a perfectly clear golden straw color. The head is a fluffy two finger white color with surprising retention (for a macro lager). Good lacing, too.

S: AARGH LIGHTSTRUCK!!! Beneath the unfortunate skunk in the aroma, there lies simple pale malts and zesty noble hoppiness.

T: Thank smeg the flavor is a massive improvement. Initially, some fruity esters greet the palate, before the zesty, refreshing finish...AND IT'S GONE! Holy shit, did I finish the beer that quickly? It's hardly BCBS, but as far as simple macro-brewed lagers go, this one's the best in the business.

M: The palate feel seems perfectly tailored to provide crisp refreshment. There's this real sense of subtle delicacy that separates this not only from the BMC stalwarts, but numerous craft lagers as well. The bitter aftertaste is fantastic for what this beer is trying to accomplish.

O: A damn shame about the skunky nose - luckily the rest of the beer easily compensates by offering everything you could want in a proper pilsner. Could be a go to for me in cans/on tap.

2.98/5  rDev -16.5%

Just picked up a case of Urquell (date on the bottle was August 2012, i'ts now Jan. 2013) It was a delightful pick me up after drinking U.S Macrobrews. I poured two bottles into a tall Aruban Balashi 22 oz mug, to suck down. I really wanted Staropramen, after trying it the other day, but our distribution was lacking. I have a feeling the hippies working behind the counter called all their buddies when the decent stuff arrives on tuesdays. Anyways, this is definately a favorite of mine---a bit too sweet, but a welcome change from the stuff i've been indulging. I don't know if the Diacetyl levels are prevalent here, but a bit too carbonated for this session. I picked up a sixer in Cali 10 years ago, and don't remember all the carbonation. Maybe this case has been aged tooo long. It does have that apple cider thing going on a bit, but still better than the yuengllings, genny's and lionheads i've been sessioning. I'll probably have a couple more and then i will sample the Hofbräuhaus München---hopefully this will be a bit fresher and not as sweet, cheers.

2.5/5  rDev -30%

1.5/5  rDev -58%

Photo of
3.75/5  rDev +5%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I just returned from Prague and have newfound respect for this beer. I recall long ago in my youth, I was told Pilsner Urquell is the standard for the style. However, after trying it in bottles several times in the US, I was never impressed. However, fresh draft Pilsner Urquell in the Czech Republic changed my opinion of this beer. Much more pronounced (although still subtle) hop bitterness, fresh noble hop fragrance, and an overall feeling of understanding of why this defined the style. Tasting it this way, I can honestly say I would drink this beer very, very often if I could get it as fresh back home.

2.75/5  rDev -23%

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.