Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Deep gold body. Nice head.

S: Noble hobs, a bit of lemon.

T: Lots of clean hoppy bitterness, some buttery diacetyl.

M: Light to medium. Decent carbonation.

D: A classic. It's not one that blows me away, but it's one that I keep coming back to.

BarrelO, Jun 13, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance: Nice head, that seems to last forever. Clear in look, but an orange tint to the base golden color.

Aroma: floral, with a nice hit of hops. Little bit of malt beneath it all. A little weak for a pilsner, but still present.

Taste: A little watery, to be honest. Though the malt is there up front, and a bit of bitterness that hits midway, this beer seems to be more water than flavor. It's not off. Just weak.

Mouthfeel: Like I mentioned before, watery, and only little bit of carbonation. Average.

Drinkability: This beer looks better than it tastes, and even smells better than it tastes. I'm trying to put in my mind what a pilsner should taste like, but I'll be damned if I think this is the best example of one.

AccidentalKate, Jun 10, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +37.6%

Coming back to this beer on tap after having it in the bottles and can (Actually my favorite way to drink this beer) for years. No matter what, no light lager stacks up to the original. Maybe marketing and aura has gotten to my head, or maybe it's the homebrewing, but there is so much flavor packed into this beer. With the malt, the triple decoction adds a perfect sweetness to the flavor profile while turning it a beautiful golden hue. You can tell the difference immediately in pils beers if it's decocted or not in the malt presence and the darker color. It smells of floral saaz hops that are spicy and perfect in IBU's. They go very well together in the flavor of the beer and the yeast character is subtle at best. The triple decoction adds dextrin-feel to the mouthfeel, but no matter what, it's a light lager, but it BLOWS the competition away. I'll order this anytime I see it and the selection sucks, because this beer turned me on to better things, and now that I've brewed my own and realize how much goes into creating this beer perfectly, I respect it that much more.

MusicmanSD, Jun 05, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +23%

An old, old favorite that I can't believe I've never reviewed. Happened on to a particularly fresh 12 pack -- here goes.

A -- Nice and clear, deep gold with a white head that hangs around.

S -- Seems a bit light in the aroma department. Spicy hops and some cracker-like malt and ubiquitous DMS eking through.

T -- Very nice, I really ought to give this a top score to style, but it may just be a bit light in malt character. Starts out with a hit of spicy and bitter hops, followed by lightly sweet, bready malt. Some vague butteriness, but not really to a diacetyl character. Finishes dry with a lean toward bitterness.

M -- Soft and almost buttery mouth-feel with a light medium body.

D -- Yes, I'll have another please.

steveh, Jun 04, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Pale golden color with white head.. tons and tons of carbonation.

S: A bit of spice, a bit of skunk. Not sure if this is a bad bottle or the regular smell..

T: A little bit of spice and hops in the background..not great, not horrible.. a solid average..

M: Lots of carbonation, and a little bite.

D: Pass. Not my favorite style, and this one isn't changing my mind.. I read a lot of people really like it, but judging from this experience, I am not sure why.

Beejay, May 30, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +24.4%

A- Poured from a can, of which I love the raised lettering and satin finish. The brew itself pours a clear true gold color, with an initial thick foamy head that turns into a thin white lacing. I didn't find that the carbonation is overly active, but from what I see the bubbles are big. Not much for lacing on the glass, so I can't give full marks here.

S- There is a spicy hop aroma that come to the forefront, followed by a mild flowery/leafy smell as well as the sweet malts in the back round. You can really detect the oily bitterness of the hops in the aroma!

T- Take what I just mentioned about the aroma and multiply that by 10! The initial soft malts quickly are wiped away by a rich herbal spice that dominates....the way a Pilsner should!

M- This beer has a very clean, crisp feel to it, which the carbonation accentuates, but at the same time, the medium-full body provides a smooth flowing brew that reminds me of something that I've ordered on tap!

D- As I type this, I started enjoying this with some mildly spicy chicken wings, and I can say that it cuts through the spice rather nicely! This is the original and rightly so! This to me is the best example of the style that I've tried so far....but I guess I'm sampling the first version of what a Pils should be! No problems here enjoying this brew throughout an evening! Highly recommended!

ChrisCage, May 28, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours golden with thin/small bubbled head. Nose is rich with Saaz but also that characteristic skunk-resembling component that isn't necessarily skunk (and it isn't here, I can tell the difference). I'm just not sure why this aroma/flavor is prized so much. Thin body, not a lot of malt backbone to stand up to the Saaz, and the finish leaves a metallic tang.

yemenmocha, May 22, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

poured this out into a pint glass from a green conditioned bottle .

appearance:it looks like the typical lager ,clear well filtered and clean with a cloud white thin foamy head that doesn`t last long.

smell:not a lot of scent some hops and malt as usual,grass and a bit of fruit like orange peels.

taste:its crisp and smooth, you got your malt and hops and a bit of citrus but there`s some thing missing ,perhaps more bite and sharpness.

mouthfeel:lite body .i get a bit of a citrus and malt after taste.

drinkability:this is a decent pilsner ,nothing to special.a good summer beer .cheers.

goblet, May 21, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a Pilsner Urquell glass, one that looks like a pint glass and one I use for a wide variety of beers. I've always assumed I liked the glass better than the beer, and I'm about to find out for sure. In the glass it looks your typical lager, golden yellow with a bright foamy head. Incredibly well-filtered.

In the nose, the hops are bright and on the fruity side, and this is the best aspect of the aroma. The malt is subtle biscuit with a light buttery edge. Crisp green apple lurks throughout, and there's just a hint of skunkiness.

Flavor is solid and, while not the best of its kind, a pretty good representative of the Czech pilsner. Has a lightly astringent grassy element that almost masks the fruity/spicy characteristics. Malt takes on the vibe of fresh-baked white bread. Overall Pilsner Urquell has a flavor I can only describe as bright, with green apple and unripe pear in the finish. Skunk comes along, but only far in the background.

Feels crisp and dry, but not too terribly crisp and dry. Just a smidgen weightier than a "light" body, but it's fairly airy, and even calling it medium-bodied would be a stretch.

This is the kind of beer so many corporate U.S. brewers have bastardized (no) thanks to mass production, selling out to the bottom line ($) and the loss of passion and sense of history/tradition that comes with it. Yes, there are a ton better, most of them hard to find outside the country itself, but this is a fine Czech Pils.

Metalmonk, May 19, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +11.8%

poured a golden shine with complete clarity. foamy white head which said bye bye within a minute.

smells of spicy malt... spices coming from hops.

taste is crystal smooth malty-hop balance.

not a "light" beer but a light beer compared to ipas, stouts, etc. refreshing and drinkable.

skrib09, May 10, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Saturday afternoon; Giro prologue paired with an urquell.

Straight from the fridge into the pinot noir glass.

Golden with a definite copper hue, topped by brief appearance from a light head. Nothing spectacular, but enticing none the less.

This is not a beer that gives too much away on the nose, there is a hint of character but without any real depth; pronounced hoppy tones merged with a gentle sweetness.

On the tongue the hops are evident again, swiftly followed by a bitterness decking a slight honeyed layer; in line with the nose.

The length of the finish is impressive, nicely persisting although a little over powering in it's hoppiness.

Pleasant drinker, ennough interest to make it worthwhile and a step up from many of it's blander contemporaries.

585, May 09, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Nice golden color, the color I always pictured when I though of beer. Given reasonable head from the bottle, but it doesn't last very long. Not sure if that's the beer not holding a haed or me drinking it quickly. . .

I agree with other reviews; it smells "bitter." Not bad at all, but defiantly distinct.

Good taste; crisp, refreshing

Plenty of flavor, but not overpowering; goes great with bar food

Great consistency, and availability

Personally, I love this beer; it's got plenty of flavor, but it's not so heavy you can't hang out with with good friends and drink a few. I've had it with bar food, and a home cooked steak, went well with both.

birdyone, May 05, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

The beer pours the expected light golden color into the glass. Decent sized bone white head that stays around a little bit and leaves minor lacing.
The smell is light, minor hops, a little malt, and some nice green bottle skunk. I was originally not going to review this beer because of this, but it is well within it's best by range.
The taste is the same, there are some nice delicate notes that get clobbered by the skunk.
The mouthfeel is nice, light and highly carbonated.
The drink is good as well, I could have quite a few of these...just give em to me fresh.

grayburn, Apr 30, 2009
1.75/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: high carbonation, clear, medium head, gold

Smell: sulphur and wheat

Taste: better than the smell, but not great. Very light wheat

Mouthfeel: light and semi-sweet

Drinkability: This hides the alcohol well. I think the smell really threw me for a loop. I think there are way better beers around and this is one I will not come back to.

tigg924, Apr 29, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

Had this at the bar with very few options. When I first opened it smelled like skunk. No glass so straight out of the bottle. Taste was slightly skunkish and pretty bitter. Seemed very carbonated. I've enjoyed many other pilsners more, possibly this is just the czech pilsner style.

flexinwext, Apr 25, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -5.9%

330 mL bottle poured into a pint glass (sorry, I don't have a lager glass).

Pop the top and you get some immediate aromas. Smells bitter, if that's possible. It reminds me of the smell of many Euro pale lagers, but somehow better.

Deep yellow beer with a thin head and minimal lacing.

Tastes nice, but not great. It's better than an adjunct lager, but not as good as some of the other Czech pilsners (especially Stauropramen). Same goes for mouthfeel.

I wouldn't turn this down, especialy in the company of worse options, but it's not my favorite either. Definitely drinkable but nothing outstanding or noteworthy--except perhaps consistency.

fullsweep, Apr 24, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +11%

A - pours a nice golden hue. Stable white head
S - citrus followed by hay like tones
T - malty with a crisp hop taste. Dry finish
M - surprisingly smooth
D - definitely. as one who is not a typical pilsner fan, I wasn't expecting much from this. But afterwards, I found myself wanting another.

nanobrew, Apr 23, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a nice deep gold almost amber. Head didn't last too long and had hardly any lacing.

S: Smells very yeasty and bready. Little note of hops and light malts.

T: Tastes of yeast and grain. The Malt is on the light side. Not much of a note of hops. It's also kind of sweet tasting

M: Mouthfeel is crisp and dry. Meduim/light bodied. Goes down pretty smooth. It has a medium carbonation

D: I probably wouldn't drink this one too often, but its not something i would tell people to avoid. I think it would be a nice brew to drink sittin outside on a nice warm day.

JizackFH, Apr 09, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -4.5%

There isn't much more that can be said about this beer that you can't read in earlier reviews. It pours a deep golden color and has a yeasty, bready nose that reminds me of spring for some reason. It has a pleasantly crisp taste that finishes with the slightest hint of hoppy bitterness. This is a session beer that does its job of providing you with a tasty beer that wont blow you away, but at least keep your interest til the last drop.

GoGriz, Apr 09, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance - Straw yellow in appearance, not much going on with the head but the color is beautiful

Smell - Very distinct grain and yeast smell doesn't settle well with me but many others find it apealing

Taste - I really don't know why but i find this brew appealing. It just has something that tastes great to me. I'm not a huge big hop fan but this beer just tastes good going down. The grain profile is very nice along with just the right amount of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Wonderful going down, nothing to complain about here. It is very easy to drink and if anything is a little dry but not in a bad way

Drinkability - Could easily have a few of these in a night. Don't really like paying the price for them but much better then other green bottles you see often

mcraw88, Apr 05, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 16.9oz can into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, lager yeast, grain and some hops.

T: The taste is bready with flavors of grain and lager yeast. Even thought the malt character is on the thin side, it's about normal for the style and provides a mild sweetness. There's a decent hops presence that provides a little balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Tasty, goes down quite easily, not very filling, mild kick, good representation of style, this is a nice milder beer to drink a lot of throughout the course of an evening, but there are better beers that fill the same roll.

TheManiacalOne, Apr 04, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured a 330-ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - brilliant yellow colour with extraordinarily carbonated character versus my expectation, 1/4-inch sustaining head.

Smell - very hoppy with spicy malt scents. None of the bread aromas of the canned version.

Taste - malty and grainy, there's more bitterness and a lack of balance. Still, interesting flavours although more run-of-the-mill Euro beer.

Mouthfeel - pretty carbonated, at least the bitter finish comes through clean.

Drinkability - I would pass on this version of this superb brew. Much better value to seek out the can, which does not overcarbonate and has a much better taste - for cheaper. I am shocked at the variance between the 2 formats.

DoctorStrangiato, Apr 03, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Had always heard good things about this beer from friends and thought I'd give it a shot. Picked up four 16.5 oz cans from the local liquor store. Drank out of the can but I am giving the appearance the benefit of the doubt because such a good beer must look good. I am a Dark Lager man but this Pilsner has grown on me and I will definitely be purchasing it again. All in all a great beer that will not disappoint, especially for the price.

VictorEHuskie, Mar 29, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle. When I visited Prague for a summer lo these many moons ago, I was warned by locals to stay away from tourist havens like Václavské náměstí, where they sold marked-up Urqell for 2 bucks a pop, and check out the side streets, where other fine Czech pivo could be found for more reasonable prices. As a student, 50 cent half-litres of incredibly good beer that I'd never heard of made a whole lot more sense. But I always wondered if I was giving Urquell short shrift because of that experience.

This beer pours a clear, bright medium golden yellow hue, with three fingers of puffy, foamy, somewhat caked off-white head, which leaves a few layers of cumulonimbus cloud lace around the glass as it somewhat hastily recedes.

It smells of warm, somewhat wet grainy, biscuity pale malt, subtle black pepper, a touch of stale lemon, and floral, mildly grassy hops. The taste is more grainy, kind of sour pale malt, faint acrid lemon, and earthy, leafy, and moderately skunky dead grass hops.

The carbonation is rather well moderated, the body a decently structured medium-light weight, and generically smooth. It finishes mostly clean, with an off-dry, wet soup cracker-like character, among the still not burnt-off vegetal hops.

Not my favorite Czech pilsner by a long shot, but an adequate introductory example, given its ubiquity at finer tourist traps everywhere. Just don't buy it there, given the choice.

biboergosum, Mar 29, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +9%

Unpasteurised, at U Rudolfina, Praha.
Deep golden color, without any bubbles. Beautiful white head, quite creamy on top. Good appearance.
Fresh smell, with a good hop, and yeasty notes. Fresh and inviting. With a good malty base.
Malty start in the mouth, quickly balanced by a good, intense bitterness, fresh.
For sure, quite different from the bottled version (and a lot better).
Great drinkability.

stcules, Mar 28, 2009
Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.