Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
jamiejohnson

4.2/5  rDev +18%

I hold a soft spot in my heart for Pilsner Urquell because it was the beer that weaned me off the fizzy crap two decades back. I would buy ten cases at a time in my Urquell prime. Now I'll buy a twelver anytime the price is right. Urquell is what it is - the deservedly hyped icon of pilsner royalty. Michael Jackson used to comment on the brewery's soft water that left him "beckoning for another one." I have to agree - something is special about this legendary brew even if you can't pin it down. The high marks I give are out of respect. If you ever make it to Pilzen's brewery, don't miss the nearby beer museum. It's well worth it. Let's hope the conglomerate (SAB?) that now controls this classic doesn't totally destroy it in greedy fashion.

Young and dumb,
Drink'n fizz.
Now I'm smart,
A real beer whiz.

Thanks Urquell

06-29-2008 04:03:42 | More by jamiejohnson
gonzo46and2

3.08/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a decent head but doesn't retain it at all. Horse blanket aroma with notes of corn and pale malt. Bitter and slightly metallic finish. Perhaps mine wasn't the freshest. I'd like to try it on tap.

This is a hyped up beer that I really wanted to try after developing my tastes but I must admit that many other imported lagers (Becks, Warsteiner, Heine,etc)taste the same if not better. I think I need to try this fresh.

06-24-2008 04:02:47 | More by gonzo46and2
Cresant

Kentucky

4.33/5  rDev +21.6%

Poured this 16.9 oz. can into a large pils glass. Coded: 08288. The body was a rich golden color and clear of any sediment. The pithy two inches of white head faded with an audible sizzle.

Smell was grainy. Earthy, slightly funky hops, love the saaz! Floral.

Taste was rich. Grains and bright hops. Refreshing tartness. Minerally. Incredibly well balanced hops bitterness/malty sweet grains. Classic.

Mouthfeel was silky and husky/raspy. Contradictory in several elements , yet this beer brings it all together superbly. A wonderful pilsner.

06-18-2008 13:43:38 | More by Cresant
Reagan1984

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

On Tap

There was a slight head but a very nice amount of lacing.
There was lots of carbonation visible through the clear bright gold color.

A nice and distinctive sweet grassy aroma

Nice lingering hop/bread/sweet taste.

Session - yes

Excellent mouth feel.

Hop linger.
Good tingle on the carbonation.

Almost all of us have had this one before. A solid choice if you are in a Pilsner mood, but frankly I'll take a Victory Prima Pils first.

06-18-2008 13:34:16 | More by Reagan1984
demitriustown

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

Clear very golden color. smells decent I did detect a little skunk but oh well. The flovor is strong but very pleasent sweetness and bitter meld together in an enjoyable combination. I enjoyed this brew. Got the tall boy 1pt. 6.3 oz bottle and I wish I would have got the sixer. Very good Pislner worth the money you pay for it. All pilsners should wish to be this good, and we all know that there is a mess load of crappy ones. Yummy!!

06-17-2008 18:43:21 | More by demitriustown
Taipans

Missouri

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%

I picked up a 4 pint pack at my local grocer this past weekend. With temps hitting in the mid - 90s I figured this would be a pretty refreshing beverage. I wasn't dissapointed, it was light, crisp and a pretty good rep of the style.

Out of can, so I will have to skip on the appearance, but I did like the can design. =)

It had a grainy sweet aroma, much like the macro lagers in the states. It tasted somewhat bitter with a nice complex profile. Smooth and easily drinkable, I had a couple pints and didn't feel bloated or full.

Highly recommended!

06-16-2008 10:22:33 | More by Taipans
spewdog

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

By and large, the people who found this beer funky had it in a bottle. I can empathize. Either this beer doesn't travel well or it doesn't sell well. I have to assume the former. So here's my tip -- buy it in the 500 ml can if possible.

If you're lucky enough to find it in a can, you're in for a treat. A great pilsner from the town of the same name. It's my favorite summer beer, and goes better with hot dogs than any American beer I've ever tried.

06-08-2008 05:29:16 | More by spewdog
JayQue

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Pours a clear dark gold with a small white carbonated head. Head retention is average, fades to no head. No lacing. Mild malty/slightly skunky aroma.

Tastes good. It's a pilsner, nothing is going to overwhelm you but there is mild bitterness and grassy/bready malt. Malt is stronger than the bitterness. The taste is somewhere between Heineken and Warsteiners, with Warsteiners being more malty.

Mouthfeel is just right, not watery like a cheap macro lager, and crisp.

This beer is not as good as the Budvar, but still a tasty Czech pilsner. This one would work from a lawnmower beer all the way to a session beer. Nice!!

06-06-2008 22:59:57 | More by JayQue
JoKo

Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured this beer into a pilsner glass. This beer produced about an inch/inch and a half white head. Dark golden in color, clear and high in carbonation. The smell was "skunk" right up front, probably due to the use of Saaz hops. I do find this to be a pleasant attribute and I believe the brewer intended for the beer to have a strong hop smell and taste as well. Again, the taste was Saaz hops right up front giving it a nice bitter kick with a fine balance of malts lingering in the background to even it out. This beer has a biscuit taste. Overall, this beer would probably appeal to Heineken, Grolsch, and other Euro Pale Lager or Pilsner drinkers. It is a very complex but drinkable brew.

06-03-2008 20:55:07 | More by JoKo
nem2006

2.38/5  rDev -33.1%

I poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It is a nice, clear golden which had a little bit of a head. The head dissipated quickly.

The smell was skunky at first and lessened a little as I let it warm, but still remained.

I thought the taste had an odd bitterness from the hops which lingered well after you swallowed. I caught a little bit of hay/grasses in the taste.

I'll be honest, I was really turned off by this beer and do not really recommend it. But plenty of others seem to be pretty high on it, so I will have to try it another time.

06-01-2008 01:08:29 | More by nem2006
AZTEX

Arizona

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

I had this one on Memorial Day - poured from a bottle into a glass. The beer was a striking gold color, very clear with excellent carbonation. A nice one finger foam formed that quickly disappeared. The smell was strongly hoppy and a little bit of malt. There was also a slight citrusy aroma - I would like to have more citrus. The taste was excellent. Mild hoppiness with a hint of malt. It finished dry and bitter, very refreshing. The mouthfeel was a little light, but thicker than your typical macro lager. A very drinkable beer that I enjoy on a warm summer day.

05-29-2008 00:07:35 | More by AZTEX
PatrickJR

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass.

A - Pale yellow with small 1/4 - 1/2 inch head that recedes quickly. Minimal lacing.

S - Grassy, earthy, spicy hops; very fragrant. Some slightly detectable malt.

T - Faint light malt starts off, slightly sweet, and then moves into the spicy hops. The complexity lies in the hops. A whole range of tastes from grass, earth, a sort of onion-like character, and finishing with a floral note. Finish is somewhat metallic and waaay too bitter.

M - Fizzy and light. Wonderful accent with the hops.

D - The lightness initially makes me think this would be easy to drink, but the high carbonation is quite filling, and the ungodly bitterness really does this brew in. Could have a few, but wouldn't.

05-21-2008 03:34:09 | More by PatrickJR
oneeye

2.95/5  rDev -17.1%

First beer of the day Sat.3pm.
Poured into a pint glass.

A. Golden yellow with plenty carbonation bubbles floating up to the thin head.

S. Smells skunky at first.Barnyard,I'm gonna let this baby warm a bit.

T. Not bad,grains and corn.Crisp and clean.Little bit of that barnyard taste,hay grassy,and a little taste of bitter hops at the end.

M. Watery with crispness,clean at the finish.

D. Good for your first beer of the day.

Notes. First try at this style.I would like to try Budweiser Budvar and compare notes.

05-17-2008 19:48:00 | More by oneeye
joshgambit

Iowa

4.9/5  rDev +37.6%

Golden, coppery color. Good head from the tap. Decent lacing.

S: Grassy, hoppy. Toasted malt coming through also.

T: CLASSIC pilsner taste. On tap, this is one of the best pilsners I've ever had. Very nice malt character, slightly grainy, with excellent Saaz hops coming thorugh.

M: Tight, bright carbonation. Crisp finish, with a slightly bitter aftertaste. One of my favorites when it's on tap.

Bottled isn't as good, but I love this one on tap.

05-13-2008 13:33:33 | More by joshgambit
biggred1

Indiana

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

A-Light coppery yellow with a fine head with decent lace stickiness.

S-Classic czech pilsner smell good bready,toasty aroma with mild grassy hops.

T/M-Very refreshing,mildly fruity with a little hop zing.Smooth nicely carbonated mouthfeel.

D-I could drink these all day long,shame they don't make this like they used to but still a great session beer.

05-01-2008 23:15:38 | More by biggred1
baos

Indiana

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Had this one at Shallos in Greenwood, Indiana.

12 oz into Pint glass.

A: Nice golden color 2 finger head on pour.

S: A bit like fresh mown hay with the slightest bit of orange zest.

T: Nice hop presence a very refreshing beer. Maybe a bit sweet on the start but finishes spicy and dry.

M: Okay

D: I could go awhile on these.

04-27-2008 15:19:36 | More by baos
Portertime

3.28/5  rDev -7.9%

For the mass produced pilseners, this one isn't too bad. I enjoyed it well chilled in my classic pilsener glass. Poured a dark golden color with a fairly nice head. Smelled of slightly grassy hops and a touch of malt sweetness. Tasted of slight lemongrass with a mild sweetness upfront and then a Saaz hop drying finish.

04-26-2008 19:21:12 | More by Portertime
Exner83

2.73/5  rDev -23.3%

Hopefully without being unfair, I'm already not a fan of the Czech Pilsener style. But to this beer's credit, it hits the style pretty spot-on.

You got your sexy straw-colored pour, fizzy-tight character, and floral, grassy acidity. Check. (Or should I say, "Czech"?) The drink waits until it gets to the back of your tongue before it lets you know what it's all about: Then it gets its hop on like a springy, sour tarantula. Hop, hop, hop!

Good if you like that kinda thing. The malt has taken a back seat (like in the bleachers), per the style. But heck, better than a Heineken!

04-24-2008 00:48:27 | More by Exner83
cjgator3

4.13/5  rDev +16%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear golden yellow color with a white head that turns into a thin white lace. The aroma is filled with all those flavors I have come to love in a good Czech Pilsner. There aroma contains malt, grain, hay and grassy malt. The taste is malt up front with a good dose of spicy hops in the finish. Overall, this is one of my favorite session beers, I can easily throw down many of these without getting bored. It is a very good Czech Pilsener that is recommended.

04-20-2008 04:14:01 | More by cjgator3
SLeffler27

2.85/5  rDev -19.9%

Huge beaten egg white head sticks to the glass as it settles down to a thin lace over a clear old brass beer. This is impressive in the Urquell glass with the red label on the bottom.

The nose is acrid and musty, perhaps to style, but unpleasant none the less.

Again, the taste may be to style, it is clearly fresh, maybe best described as mineral flavors, but has a punch of skunk.

A light body, with surprisingly light carbonation, especially after the enormous head. Little if any noticeable alcohol.

This is an easy drinking beer, perhaps what the Czechs wanted. It is thirst quenching, and I'm glad to have tried it. Still, it is not my thing.

04-17-2008 01:04:58 | More by SLeffler27
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

This is better out of the can I think. It has skunked quite a bit in the bottle. Pours yellowy orange with ok white head that dissipates real fast. Nose is skunk lager with some graininess. Taste is grain, grass, skunk. Mouthfeel is nice and thin and it is endlessly drinkable. A good pils, but skunked in the bottle. A good really hot day session beer.

04-15-2008 23:31:46 | More by AKBelgianBeast
kmo1030

pours a crystal clear gold with a moderately sized white head.
this beer has a sweet clean grainy biscuit aroma, with some pleasnat noble hoppiness and just a touch of skunk (this one seems to have been pretty well protected and fresh, it's not anywhere near how i know this beer can get skunk-wise).
the taste has the same cereal grainy biscuit flavor, rounded out with some spicy hops. crisp an clean.
lighter body with moderate carbonation.
drinks very easily, when fresh and in good condition this beer is a fantastic session beer. nothing super special about it, just a pretty well made beer.

04-15-2008 01:17:22 | More by kmo1030
lionking

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from the bottle into a 12 oz pilsener glass.Golden yellow color with suprisingly a half finger head. In spite of the weak head, there was serious bubble action going on while I drank this one down.

Very skunky smell to the beer. Like a Heineken only much stronger.

The taste was very bitter, a strong presence of hops. A very crisp taste.

I was struck how much different this beer was from other European import/macros and even many domestic craft brews. I am not saying it was better than most american micros, but this beer was very different from other beers I have tasted. I am not sure if I would choose this over some of my local micro pilseners but I would definitely choose this one again if I was out for dinner or something.

04-14-2008 23:47:17 | More by lionking
prototypic

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: It's very clear and light gold in color. A notch above macro lagers, but average nonetheless. Head is foamy and white in color. It's about a finger and a half deep. Retention was relatively short and lacing was light.

Smell: It's definitely light on the nose. It's earthy grainy. Caramel/toffee malts are noticeable and a little sweet smelling. Hops are more noticeable than I expected. They're not strong by any means, but definitely noteable. Light yeasty taste on the tail.

Taste: This is clearly the high point. It's nice and crisp. It would definitely be good on a nice, warm summer day. Unforturnately I drank it on the day. I won't penalize the beer for that. Caramel/toffee malts provide just the right amount of sweetness. Hops balance it out nicely. It's grainy and earthy. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied, crisp, and very refreshing. It's well carbonated and goes down smooth. Very drinkable. Ultimately, it's hard to argue against it too much. It's a great representation of the style and is clearly preferable to the American macro lagers. It's a pretty good beer. I have no reservations recommending it.

04-14-2008 03:17:29 | More by prototypic
Dodo2step

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

P- Underdog Bar and grill

A- Pours a musty pale yellow color. Not too much head and leaves behind no lace whatsoever.

S- It actually smells like that of a skunk who is pissing malts. I know it sounds odd. It isnt a horrid smell but it isnt grand.

T- Malty and grassy/grainy in flavor. A little bit of hops and floral spices. Pretty bland for the most part but a decent taste of malts.

M- smooth and thin. A slight feeling of refreshing comes after the swallow.

D- this is an easy beer to put down. If you are a light beer drinker this would be good for you. This would go down like water.

04-10-2008 23:54:39 | More by Dodo2step
Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.