Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

Pilsner Urquell is crystal-clear and golden, but it doesn't have that "looks like urine" too-light yellow character.

Right when I open the bottle, I smell some sulfur, or "skunk." After the sulfur blows off, I notice hops - Czech Saaz. There's also a grassy smell, but not unpleasant.

As far as the flavor, it's a very clean beer - about all I get here is hops. It's crisp, and there's a bitter finish to it. Unlike big exciting Belgian beers with crazy esters and fusel alcohols and spice notes, this is a good, clean, simple beer. They put malt and hops into the beer, and you taste malt and hops. Pretty straightforward.

kinghotpants, Jul 13, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a green bottle into a weizen glass. Has a rich gold/brownsh color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is good with some sweetness. Taste is crisp and a tad sweet with a slight bitter finish. Feels fine in the mouth and is very drinkable. Overall a good beer.

tone77, Jul 07, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured bottle into glass.

Appearance: Golden and clear with a nice, big, frothy head. Frankly, that was a little unexpected, but nice.

Smell: Mostly a malt smell but it seemed to have a bit of a hoppy aroma lingering in the background.

Taste: A little bit bland compared to some other beers I've tried as this seems to be pure malt and hops. However, still pretty good and very smooth aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin, nothing special to report here.

Drinkability: Maybe it's just my conditioned American tastes here, but I found this beer a little funky. I applaud the effort to not put any adjuncts in the beer to cut the flavor, but for me, this is just not my thing. Not horrible or anything, but not exactly for me.

civilizedpsycho, Jul 06, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -23.3%

Hard pour from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. It produced a three finger head and I had to wait to get it all into the glass. The head diminished to a chunky one finger and then finally to a thin film that went the distance, leaving a light lacing on the glass.

The aroma was of very slight skunk (why do they insist on these green bottles?) followed by even lighter malt and some hoppy/grassy notes.

The taste was mostly bitter hops and could have used more malt character, but there was definitely some light malt notes available, I just had to hunt for them. The finish is dry and bitter in the back of the throat and it hangs on for a loooong time. Hops fans will like this.

The mouthfeel is just average for a pils. There is a little less carbonation than you would find in, say, your average American macro, but it still keeps the beer light and refreshing.

Overall, it's fairly bitter for a pilsner. The low ABV means you can drink a bunch of these. Anyone who's read any of my reviews knows that I'm not a big fan of beer that is unbalanced toward the bitter, and I feel that this beer is very close to being just that, so I would not make this my session beer of choice. Having said that, I still find this to be a somewhat pleasant brew for the style.

Trigcove, Jul 06, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a pale yellow amber with a finger or two of white head. Head dissipates almost completely before too long, leaving little lacing.

S: Earthy floral hops, with some sweetness.

T: Sweet up front, dominated by slightly citrusy flavored hops on the finish.

M: Finishes very dry, and the bitterness stays around on the aftertaste. Quite carbonated, fairly light mouthfeel. Some astringency.

D: Drinks quite easily.

seand, Jun 27, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +7.6%

bought at the beer store. single twelve ounce bottle. pours clear and golden. thin white head. no lace. looks ok.

earthy spicy hop aroma. smells good. no off odors.

hops up front. herbal. good and sweet. fairly clean aftertaste.

mid-light body. ok carbonation. i like this beer. i will have it again someday.

ajmoody76, Jun 25, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -3.1%

Surprised I haven't reviewed this one yet as I have tried it several times in the past.

Nice clear amber yellow with lot's of fine carbonation bubbles slowly rising to the surface. Bone white head shows decent retention..so far so good.

Really wanted to write a glowing review about how good it smells, but I can't. Some of that classic Saaz hop ( extract from what I hear) comes through, but a decidedly veggie-like aroma is a put off.

Smooth, somewhat slick feel is follwed by sweet, almost earthy malt. Spicy hop dominates after that. An almost citrus crispness to it. Finish is hoppy and dry.

Pretty darn hoppy, but with a solid malt backbone. Not everyone's cup of tea b/c of the bitterness, but one I will go back to again.

Shadman, Jun 23, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +2%

It has taken some time for me to get to liking Czech pilsners. I'm continuing to keep an open mind!

A finger of white bubbly head rests over a dazzling and clear golden brew. Aromas are undeniably Saaz--grassy and fresh cut hops! The mouthfeel is a bit watery which downplays the flavors, but the Saaz characteristics are still there with some spiciness and an herbal flavor that seems a bit off from the rest of the flavors. Grainy malt characteristic lingers, despite the watery mouthfeel. This beer is good for the price, though I don't know if I'd buy it again over a good local pils like SN Summerfest!

washburnkid, Jun 23, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a clear light gold with a creamy head. Smells fresh and full of earth. Initial taste of sweet nut and citrus flavors, and tastes of caramel and hops round it out - a great medium between sweet and bitter. Overall very pleased with my first Pilsner Urquell. Very refreshing, ahhh.

schuyhigh, Jun 20, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +16.6%

A: deep golden color that leads to a creamy small bubbled head
S: intense drying citrus hops and noble hops and little bit of barley malt
T: sweet buttery to start with then slowly drys to a noble hop velvety bitterness very good
M: medium body that travels down as smooth as a babys ass
D: great i can drink a whole twelve pack

hockeyhead, Jun 19, 2009

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Deep gold body. Nice head.

S: Noble hobs, a bit of lemon.

T: Lots of clean hoppy bitterness, some buttery diacetyl.

M: Light to medium. Decent carbonation.

D: A classic. It's not one that blows me away, but it's one that I keep coming back to.

BarrelO, Jun 13, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance: Nice head, that seems to last forever. Clear in look, but an orange tint to the base golden color.

Aroma: floral, with a nice hit of hops. Little bit of malt beneath it all. A little weak for a pilsner, but still present.

Taste: A little watery, to be honest. Though the malt is there up front, and a bit of bitterness that hits midway, this beer seems to be more water than flavor. It's not off. Just weak.

Mouthfeel: Like I mentioned before, watery, and only little bit of carbonation. Average.

Drinkability: This beer looks better than it tastes, and even smells better than it tastes. I'm trying to put in my mind what a pilsner should taste like, but I'll be damned if I think this is the best example of one.

AccidentalKate, Jun 10, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +37.6%

Coming back to this beer on tap after having it in the bottles and can (Actually my favorite way to drink this beer) for years. No matter what, no light lager stacks up to the original. Maybe marketing and aura has gotten to my head, or maybe it's the homebrewing, but there is so much flavor packed into this beer. With the malt, the triple decoction adds a perfect sweetness to the flavor profile while turning it a beautiful golden hue. You can tell the difference immediately in pils beers if it's decocted or not in the malt presence and the darker color. It smells of floral saaz hops that are spicy and perfect in IBU's. They go very well together in the flavor of the beer and the yeast character is subtle at best. The triple decoction adds dextrin-feel to the mouthfeel, but no matter what, it's a light lager, but it BLOWS the competition away. I'll order this anytime I see it and the selection sucks, because this beer turned me on to better things, and now that I've brewed my own and realize how much goes into creating this beer perfectly, I respect it that much more.

MusicmanSD, Jun 05, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +23%

An old, old favorite that I can't believe I've never reviewed. Happened on to a particularly fresh 12 pack -- here goes.

A -- Nice and clear, deep gold with a white head that hangs around.

S -- Seems a bit light in the aroma department. Spicy hops and some cracker-like malt and ubiquitous DMS eking through.

T -- Very nice, I really ought to give this a top score to style, but it may just be a bit light in malt character. Starts out with a hit of spicy and bitter hops, followed by lightly sweet, bready malt. Some vague butteriness, but not really to a diacetyl character. Finishes dry with a lean toward bitterness.

M -- Soft and almost buttery mouth-feel with a light medium body.

D -- Yes, I'll have another please.

steveh, Jun 04, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Pale golden color with white head.. tons and tons of carbonation.

S: A bit of spice, a bit of skunk. Not sure if this is a bad bottle or the regular smell..

T: A little bit of spice and hops in the background..not great, not horrible.. a solid average..

M: Lots of carbonation, and a little bite.

D: Pass. Not my favorite style, and this one isn't changing my mind.. I read a lot of people really like it, but judging from this experience, I am not sure why.

Beejay, May 30, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +24.4%

A- Poured from a can, of which I love the raised lettering and satin finish. The brew itself pours a clear true gold color, with an initial thick foamy head that turns into a thin white lacing. I didn't find that the carbonation is overly active, but from what I see the bubbles are big. Not much for lacing on the glass, so I can't give full marks here.

S- There is a spicy hop aroma that come to the forefront, followed by a mild flowery/leafy smell as well as the sweet malts in the back round. You can really detect the oily bitterness of the hops in the aroma!

T- Take what I just mentioned about the aroma and multiply that by 10! The initial soft malts quickly are wiped away by a rich herbal spice that dominates....the way a Pilsner should!

M- This beer has a very clean, crisp feel to it, which the carbonation accentuates, but at the same time, the medium-full body provides a smooth flowing brew that reminds me of something that I've ordered on tap!

D- As I type this, I started enjoying this with some mildly spicy chicken wings, and I can say that it cuts through the spice rather nicely! This is the original and rightly so! This to me is the best example of the style that I've tried so far....but I guess I'm sampling the first version of what a Pils should be! No problems here enjoying this brew throughout an evening! Highly recommended!

ChrisCage, May 28, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours golden with thin/small bubbled head. Nose is rich with Saaz but also that characteristic skunk-resembling component that isn't necessarily skunk (and it isn't here, I can tell the difference). I'm just not sure why this aroma/flavor is prized so much. Thin body, not a lot of malt backbone to stand up to the Saaz, and the finish leaves a metallic tang.

yemenmocha, May 22, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

poured this out into a pint glass from a green conditioned bottle .

appearance:it looks like the typical lager ,clear well filtered and clean with a cloud white thin foamy head that doesn`t last long.

smell:not a lot of scent some hops and malt as usual,grass and a bit of fruit like orange peels.

taste:its crisp and smooth, you got your malt and hops and a bit of citrus but there`s some thing missing ,perhaps more bite and sharpness.

mouthfeel:lite body .i get a bit of a citrus and malt after taste.

drinkability:this is a decent pilsner ,nothing to special.a good summer beer .cheers.

goblet, May 21, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a Pilsner Urquell glass, one that looks like a pint glass and one I use for a wide variety of beers. I've always assumed I liked the glass better than the beer, and I'm about to find out for sure. In the glass it looks your typical lager, golden yellow with a bright foamy head. Incredibly well-filtered.

In the nose, the hops are bright and on the fruity side, and this is the best aspect of the aroma. The malt is subtle biscuit with a light buttery edge. Crisp green apple lurks throughout, and there's just a hint of skunkiness.

Flavor is solid and, while not the best of its kind, a pretty good representative of the Czech pilsner. Has a lightly astringent grassy element that almost masks the fruity/spicy characteristics. Malt takes on the vibe of fresh-baked white bread. Overall Pilsner Urquell has a flavor I can only describe as bright, with green apple and unripe pear in the finish. Skunk comes along, but only far in the background.

Feels crisp and dry, but not too terribly crisp and dry. Just a smidgen weightier than a "light" body, but it's fairly airy, and even calling it medium-bodied would be a stretch.

This is the kind of beer so many corporate U.S. brewers have bastardized (no) thanks to mass production, selling out to the bottom line ($) and the loss of passion and sense of history/tradition that comes with it. Yes, there are a ton better, most of them hard to find outside the country itself, but this is a fine Czech Pils.

Metalmonk, May 19, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +11.8%

poured a golden shine with complete clarity. foamy white head which said bye bye within a minute.

smells of spicy malt... spices coming from hops.

taste is crystal smooth malty-hop balance.

not a "light" beer but a light beer compared to ipas, stouts, etc. refreshing and drinkable.

skrib09, May 10, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Saturday afternoon; Giro prologue paired with an urquell.

Straight from the fridge into the pinot noir glass.

Golden with a definite copper hue, topped by brief appearance from a light head. Nothing spectacular, but enticing none the less.

This is not a beer that gives too much away on the nose, there is a hint of character but without any real depth; pronounced hoppy tones merged with a gentle sweetness.

On the tongue the hops are evident again, swiftly followed by a bitterness decking a slight honeyed layer; in line with the nose.

The length of the finish is impressive, nicely persisting although a little over powering in it's hoppiness.

Pleasant drinker, ennough interest to make it worthwhile and a step up from many of it's blander contemporaries.

585, May 09, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Nice golden color, the color I always pictured when I though of beer. Given reasonable head from the bottle, but it doesn't last very long. Not sure if that's the beer not holding a haed or me drinking it quickly. . .

I agree with other reviews; it smells "bitter." Not bad at all, but defiantly distinct.

Good taste; crisp, refreshing

Plenty of flavor, but not overpowering; goes great with bar food

Great consistency, and availability

Personally, I love this beer; it's got plenty of flavor, but it's not so heavy you can't hang out with with good friends and drink a few. I've had it with bar food, and a home cooked steak, went well with both.

birdyone, May 05, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

The beer pours the expected light golden color into the glass. Decent sized bone white head that stays around a little bit and leaves minor lacing.
The smell is light, minor hops, a little malt, and some nice green bottle skunk. I was originally not going to review this beer because of this, but it is well within it's best by range.
The taste is the same, there are some nice delicate notes that get clobbered by the skunk.
The mouthfeel is nice, light and highly carbonated.
The drink is good as well, I could have quite a few of these...just give em to me fresh.

grayburn, Apr 30, 2009
1.75/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: high carbonation, clear, medium head, gold

Smell: sulphur and wheat

Taste: better than the smell, but not great. Very light wheat

Mouthfeel: light and semi-sweet

Drinkability: This hides the alcohol well. I think the smell really threw me for a loop. I think there are way better beers around and this is one I will not come back to.

tigg924, Apr 29, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

Had this at the bar with very few options. When I first opened it smelled like skunk. No glass so straight out of the bottle. Taste was slightly skunkish and pretty bitter. Seemed very carbonated. I've enjoyed many other pilsners more, possibly this is just the czech pilsner style.

flexinwext, Apr 25, 2009
Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.