Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
bark

Sweden

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%

The colour is pale yellow; the beer gives a fizzing sound when poured. The two finger head is white and airy. Minimal lacing occurs.

The smell is buttery and bitter (quite bitter, in fact). Some hints of boiled vegetables and minerals.

The taste is fresh with a fine bitter hoppyness: Mild notes of butter and vegatables. Bitter fruits and a hint of white bread. The aftertaste is dry with a distinct (but not dominant) bitterness, a hint of alcohol and a touch of star fruits.

The carbonation is medium, the liquid very smooth - almost thick.

A Czech pils... Somewhat bitter, clean and fresh with a touch of butter. Nice, but there are other more interesting ones out there.

03-01-2008 23:01:45 | More by bark
PhageLab

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%

Bailey's "Irish" Pub boasted a 36 tap line of macros/imports. This was one of the only brews I hadn't tried, so I figured what the hell.

A - Pale straw coloration, transparent, one tip head that disappeared after a few. Spotted lacing.

S - Faint pale malt aroma, not too much here.

T - Grainy and herbal with a mild hop tinge, and some evident grassy tones. Nothing outstanding here, but there is something oddly likeable about the flavor profile.

M - Light bodied, dry finish, mild carbonation.

D - Pretty decent, I had a few with dinner and they did quite well. Inoffensive and worth a try.

03-01-2008 17:54:35 | More by PhageLab
JackWeizen

Rhode Island

4.22/5  rDev +18.5%

This stuff makes the American macro lager coward with envy. It pours yellow with a nice head, and a great aroma of... Beer... Excellent dry hop flavor that really distinguishes this beer from its peers. The malt is all pils, no question. A very respectable brew that I can't wait to take another sip of. The hop flavor really makes it for me. There are no flaws in this brew at all. Its the perfect Pilsner. I could drink it all day is my lifestyle allowed for such behavior.

03-01-2008 01:06:52 | More by JackWeizen
Rayek

Colorado

A true original. Not as good as it once was, but still very worthy.

A: Crystal clear gold color. Has a dense and firm white head. The head dissolves slowly and leaves a small amount of lace.

S: Very balanced blend of grass, spice (couldn't put a finger on which ones) and malty sweetness.

T: Starts out slightly sweet, with hints of grass. Transitions into spicy bitterness in the middle, returning to sweetness in the finish. Quite well balanced. Very clean aftertaste.

M: What it should be. Light body that doesn't feel thin or watery. Carbonation is subdued.

D: Very much worth a return visit. When ever I drink this, I wonder what happened on the way to the traditional American Macro.

02-20-2008 19:58:41 | More by Rayek
TrinkGermanBier

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

This one's on tap at my house, one of my favs.

Appearance: Dark gold color, very nice thick head that unfortunately disappears within 3 minutes, no lacing.
Smell: Malty
Taste: To me, almost perfect, definetly not a heavy beer by any standards. However a domestic beer drinker will probably find it on the heavy side (Coors Light and Miller Lite drinkers stay away, it's mine)
Mouthfeel: Sweet no bitters
Drinkability: Very drinkable. For those experimenting with Europeans, make this your third or fourth. Don't start out with this one.

I believe this beer is so good that I'm surprised that it owns such a small market share.

02-18-2008 19:40:53 | More by TrinkGermanBier
cbleary

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

The beer arrived with a small white head and the classic golden pilsner color. It smelled of European hops, pale malt, and maybe just a hint of vomit? The taste was pleasing, featuring the unique bitter Pilsner hop profile. It was quite drinkable, one could easily drink many of these.

02-17-2008 02:52:48 | More by cbleary
bunnyhustle

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Saw some in cans for the firt time so I decided to try and picked up the 4 pack. Pours a nice clear golden orange color with nice 2 finger head that decipates quickly leaving some lacing. Smell is somewhat skunky, grassy, some fruit, and a bit earthy. Taste is good, somewhat malty sweet at first but finish with a grassy hop bitterness, a little skunky taste to it as well. Mouthfeel is light and carbonation is moderate, a somewhat slick feeling left behind but overall a pretty crisp beer. This is an easy drinker, while nothing really stands out, nothing is really offensive either. Nice and light with a low ABV means you can easy put a couple of these away.

02-14-2008 01:05:46 | More by bunnyhustle
Proteus93

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Amber pour, nice & clean looking. Finger-deep head that was pretty quick to disappear.

S: Light hops + warm, slightly toasty malt balance. Mild, crisp.

T: A touch of sweetness, rounded out by just a light note of hops... nicely balanced between the two, and decent for the style. Almost a bit of a toasted wheat or lightly salted rice taste in there towards the end, that I couldn't quite discern. Reminded me a little of ricecakes. It wasn't an unpleasant taste, as I like them, but it's the only taste that I could think of for it.

M: Refreshing, though perhaps it could have been just a taaad more dry, and crisper.

D: The last time I had one of these, it was at my inlaws place & before being stored away in the fridge, they had been out in the sun for a few days. I became aware of that fact when the amazing skunktastic aroma kicked me in the face. It scared me away from it for a while. It's not a bad pilsner at all, though, otherwise. I'd happily session this on a warm day, over dinner, with friends... as long as it wasn't horibbly light-stricken!

02-11-2008 03:54:41 | More by Proteus93
clayrock81

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into pint flute glass because I had no pils glasses clean. Hurt the carbonation a tad and reduced the head, which was minimal, but I see no real damage. Still kept a nice floating head on top of the dark gold body (no see thru macro crap). The smell is spicy with a hint of citrus it seems. A sharp hoppy taste, but nothing overpowering as the mouthfeel is a medium body that washes over the palate w/o drying it. There's some hop and bitterness, but nothing overly pronounced. I wouldn't mind having this again, but it is just a run of the mill pils (did not mean to intentionaly rhyme).

02-11-2008 00:32:48 | More by clayrock81
Squelch

United Kingdom (England)

4.13/5  rDev +16%

Appearance: Pours golden clear with a white head and sparkling micro bubbles

Smell: Smells of decocted malts.

Taste: Taste is a great balance of malt and noble hops. Malty up front with a hop bitterness and bite from the decoction.

Mouthfeel: Perfect for the style.

Drinkablity: One of my favorite styles. Very drinkable

02-10-2008 04:43:00 | More by Squelch
ndekke39

3.28/5  rDev -7.9%

Thanks to my good friend kboett77 for sharing a six-pack with me. Drank this from a 12 oz. bottle, decanted into a pint glass. Pours a crystal clear golden-yellow with a thin, white head. Leaves a small ring of lace around the edges.

Smell is a bit rubbery at first, but then a nice, mellow crispness comes through. Aromas of Granny Smith apples.

Taste is nice and clean, although the rubbery aspect surfaces again. Recurring flavors of tart apples and cider. Clean, malty backbone.

Nice, crisp mouthfeel. Bright and lingering carbonation.

A very drinkable Pilsner. And did they invent this style? If so, I can see why it caught on.

02-08-2008 14:16:14 | More by ndekke39
TheTrevor

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%

The beer poured a golden color with a single-finger head that dissipated quickly. The smell is mostly sweet malts. The taste is a combination of malts and hops that hit at the same time for a very clean taste overall. This beer is thin with a medium amount of carbonation that makes for a very refreshing beer that I could probably enjoy all night.

02-07-2008 01:18:03 | More by TheTrevor
kboett77

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Well, I'll be, I wasn't expecting much from this, I picked it up having heard of it, but it a kind of, just another pilsner way. Now I'm not well versed on the style, and the last pils I had was the Imperial from Sam Adams, with the Holartau (sp?) hops, which was awesome. All that to say, I really like this beer, it poured golden and wonderfully bubbly. Basically no head retention, but that's ok by me for this beer. It was very effervesant, and very referesing. It was lovely to look at and lovely to drink, with some almost sour notes. I recommend.

02-04-2008 03:20:16 | More by kboett77
JDV

2.38/5  rDev -33.1%

Pours nice golden with white head that doesn't last. Smell is sweet honey maltiness , and very doughy breadiness, with maybe a faint touch of hops. Taste is a touch hoppy, with a firm bitter bite up front with a doughy, yeasty aftertaste that I don't care for. Very light bodied and ends slightly fuller with the aftertaste. Not great, I thought after having it a second time.

01-31-2008 18:56:11 | More by JDV
Matty1918

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

A good pilsner...Poured a golden yellow with a 2-3 finger head that settled rather quickly.

A rather bitter smell that had faint hints of possibly sour malt....not quite sure

A bitter taste.

A light beer that is not heavy.

Not a bad beer to drink all night...I kept mine on ice overnight.

01-29-2008 18:21:10 | More by Matty1918
watchnerd

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%

On tap from Paragon on San Francisco.

Pilsner, oh, pilsner, where have you gone? Once upon a time, you were the grandaddy of all pils, distinctive even in your old age. You were aromatic, bitter, dry, and made my lips pucker and brow scrunch with each effervescent quaff. But now? Now you taste just about like every average German or Czech pils on the market. For a bit, I actually thought you were Becks.

Alas, apparently even legends must fall. You're not the beer you used to be. For a better and more noteworthy pils, I'd have to recommend Czechvar/Budvar these days.

01-29-2008 07:10:28 | More by watchnerd
BeerTaster

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Golden in color this beer poured with a decent head that seemed to disapoint and leave to quickly. The aroma was fresh sea breze and floral. Bitterness was upfront though I could have tolerated a little more. The beer was light in body and had mediem carbonation. This is a good beer for apitizers and snacks.

01-20-2008 23:27:51 | More by BeerTaster
BigJTrucker

Oregon

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Picked up this can at the local Fred Meyer store. Poured a clear golden yellow color similar to a filtered apple juice, with a couple fingers worth of bright white head that settles very quickly. Low to moderate carbonation bubbles. Smell is of faint grass, a slight bit of fruity aroma as well. Taste is classic pilsner, some light hop flavor, very thin, Some malty sweetness. Mouthfeel is very light, low aftertaste, moist finish. Drinkability is good, very sessionable.

01-19-2008 03:49:07 | More by BigJTrucker
botham

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass. pours a light amber color with a few fingers of tight white head.

aroma is of pale and caramel malts, with a fruit base, namely citrus and a subtle grainy character. a rich aroma for a brew this light.

taste is similar to aroma. pale and caramel malts, with a fruity base. fruit notes include citrus, and apple. excellent pilsner profile.

mouthfeel is light bodied, with a smooth texture, and a moderate amount of CO2. finishes on a light caramel malt note with lingering grain.

drinkability is great. this is a pilsner with a solid profile, which is few and far between. this is a bold brew as far as pilsners go, which works out to its benefit. cheers!

01-19-2008 02:42:24 | More by botham
JamesS

Indiana

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured a nice golden color, with a nice head, but little lacing. Good scent, crisp and clean and very, very malty. Good taste, nothing great, but a nicely done pils with a nice clean (and slightly sour) finish. Don't know if I'll have it again unless I visit Czech, but I wouldn't turn it down if anyone offered me one, either.

01-18-2008 02:25:03 | More by JamesS
jenbys2001

Japan

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%

I sampled a mug of this beer while on vacation in the Czech Republic. After a long exhausting day of marching the frigid winter streets of Prague this beer tasted like liquid bliss. However, after reading these reviews I get the impression that this beer is much better on tap and close to the source (the way I tasted it). It's a light but very bitter pilsner. It was decent, but nothing astonishing. I imagine if I tasted other pilsners this one wouldn't stand out in my mind.

01-17-2008 16:05:10 | More by jenbys2001
bushbeer75

3.03/5  rDev -14.9%

12 oz green bottle

Pilsner Urquell poured a very clear light golden/straw color with a 2” thin head with bubbles and left behind thin lacing. Aroma and taste is of strong hops with a spicy bitterness and “sour” light malt thrown in. Mouth feel is crisp with effervescent bubbles and has a lighter to medium body.

Pilsner Urquell is probably the bitterest Pilsner I have tasted. A quality Pils, however, I prefer a little less bitter aftertaste. That lowered the drink ability and taste for me.

01-16-2008 01:07:30 | More by bushbeer75
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.23/5  rDev +18.8%

This pours from 12oz bottle a clear yellow-gold with a 2 finger head of foam.

The smell is of grassy hops and seems quite bitter to the nose.

The taste is also quite bitter. Lots of grass and very little else. Where's the malt? It's there, way back in the background adding very little to the flavour and in no way creates any balance. It's been years since my last sampling of PU and I don't remember it being this bitter.

Bottom line: This is drinkable for me but there are many other examples of the style that bring more to the table. It will be, I suspect, more years before I try it again.

Edit: Sept 8, 2012.

The Express Shipped Cold packs arrived in town so I bought a 4 pack. Best by April 18, 2013!

The big difference is the crisp and freshness in the taste. Still on the hoppy side as Pils are supposed to be but the bitterness is much more of an asset than a detriment. A solid malt backbone adds much more balance and overall, I'm loving it more than I have in many years. Thank you, Pilsner Urquell!!

01-13-2008 16:48:13 | More by Bitterbill
Cyberkedi

Georgia

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Color is a typical clear pilsner amber, a little darker than most I have seen. Aroma is firm and malty, not strong but still inviting. Flavor is crisp, malty, typical of a pilsner but a little richer than the average brew of this type. Refreshing, enjoyable, good with lunch or dinner.

01-12-2008 15:15:32 | More by Cyberkedi
mattster

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

Opened 12 fl oz bottle and poured into Weisen glass.

Pours nice head of 1.4" which dies down to after a minute. Brew is clear yellow to lt amber with bubbles.

Initial smell is typical import beer smell, but after a couple of minutes, it opens up to slightly floral aroma with herbal tones. Taste is initially slightly sour, but bitterness becomes more palatable. Finishes with minimal aftertaste. Not a great beer, but definitly a good alternative to BMC brews.

01-12-2008 07:38:14 | More by mattster
Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.