Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,074 | Reviews: 1,326
3.74/5  rDev +4.8%

Upon pouring, this beer produced about two fingers of bright white foam, which evolved into nice lacing. The color is a very clear, golden color. The aroma is both malty and hoppy with a hint of banana. The flavor is crisp, hop-like, and malty. This beer is a fine reflection of style. I enjoy drinking this beer and consider it my go to beer when I'm at the ballbark and in my house.

Poured into my pilsner glass from a 12fl oz bottle

Pours a cery light golden color with a three inch white fluffy head. Tiny bubbles can be seen going to the top of the beer, very great clarity. Average head retention with no lacing.

Smell is of grains, slight floral hops, spicy zest, soap(no I'm not kidding).

Slightly sweet upfront with just the barely noticeable hop presence in the back. Slightly better then your mainstream pilsners but still has that cheap flavor to it.

Light bodied with high carbonation. Crisp and sweet aftertaste.

I personally would not drink this again, but I can see other people who drink macros would love it.

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Consumed 7/29/09- from notes.

Green bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

A- Very deep gold with a chunky two finger white head that lasted most of the glass. Decent lacing.

S/T- Virtually identical to me. Grassy sweet and a little spicy.

M- Very smooth with a little dry bite at the finish.

D- Pretty good session beer.

3.91/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce green bottle into a pint glass.

Once I pried off the cap I caught a whiff of skunkiness. It poured a beautiful looking golden light amber that had a great head. It really is amazing looking. Even with a little bit of skunk, it still smells pretty nice thanks to the sweet malts. The taste begins with the sweet maltiness upfront before you detect the hops and bitterness. Best pale lager I've had in a while.

4.67/5  rDev +30.8%

I CANnot believe that I have never reviewed one of my favorite beers, especially given that it was available in a CAN.

Speaking of the CAN, it had that same pressed quality of another Czech (?) beer that I recently reviewed. As a tactile drinker, it had an appeal. Onward!

Two rocky fingers of bone-white head with decent retention. Nose was simply grassy Saaz. This is the gold standard for the style. Speaking oif gold, the color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was medium and laden with Saaz on the tongue. This is it! It makes me want to relocate to the Czech Republic. Finish was slightly dry, very refreshing. In a CAN!?!

Beach/Shore: Hell, yeah! This will make you the envy of all of your Bud-swilling amigos. CAN you dig it?

3.41/5  rDev -4.5%

Just got back from Prague where I was able to drink this on draft on a regular basis. While in Prague it wasn't my favorite pilsner but very good and much different from the bottle version in the states. The bottle version first of all is not as aromatic and flavorfull. Also, it has a much different look and mouthfeel. The fiz is much sharper and the clarity is unbelivable brilliant. Worth getting but nothing like the local draft.

3.16/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured into a chilled pint glass.
So far it looks good with a very clear medium golden color and a puffy head that stays around long enough. The lacing is thin and high on the glass with very tight clean suds.
It has a nice bite and a buttery smooth feel to it.
The smell and taste are hand-in-hand here; the malt is irrelevant and overpowered by the bitter and skunky hops.
I know that this is what they are striving for and I have had much worse pilsners, but to each their own and, unless someone else is buying it, I would choose something else.

4.01/5  rDev +12.3%

I (Wiseman Nick) ordered a glass of this last night in Budapest. Served in a .5L Pilsner Urquell goblet, and paired with a big bowl of goulasch and a couple pieces of bread.

Appearance: Three fingers of soft white head sit atop a clear, polished gold body. A dozen strings of bubbles connect the head to the bottom of the glass. Big head falls fairly quickly, leaving a thick trail of web-like lace where it once was.

Smell: A good deal of sweet, juicy, leafy hops join up with grainy, BBQ-like (Munich?) malts. Not much spiciness in the nose, which was a bit of a dissapointment.

Taste: Bitter hops all the way! Oily, leafy, spicy, salty goodness. Doughy malts emerge in the middle and hang around til the finish.

Mouthfeel: Oily and medium-bodied with a nice prickly carbonation to keep things exciting. Finishes crisp. Smooth as hell and very refreshing.

Drinkability: A classic beer that, I believe, can hang with just about any other Czech pilsner out there. This was a delicious tap offering that I'm sure I'll order again.

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Has a barely readable freshness date of NOV1209, so it should be fresh. Pours a very clear medium golden color with a large fluffy white head. Fades fairly rapidly, but leaves a nice quarter-inch layer that hangs around for a while. I am a bit surprised by how dark this beer is, I was expecting a pale yellow hue.

Nose is mildly grainy with some spicy, earthy saaz hops. Smells pretty good, but still a little stale.

Taste is more grainy and malty sweet than I was expecting, the saaz hops are there in a more balancing role than, say, a Victory Prima Pils. Fairly full body for the style and not quite as carbonated as I would prefer. Has a mild hop bitterness on the finish that fades away pretty quick. It is a well crafted pilsner that is enjoyable and refreshing. Pilsner fans should enjoy this beer, but I would not recommend this beer to people who dont like saaz hops or new converts to craft beer. Freshness is key for this beer, so make sure to check the freshness code. Also, it is a bit pricey for a sixer at 9 bucks.

3.59/5  rDev +0.6%

Green bottle, best before Dec 22 09.

A bit more darker than many pilseners I've had before. Golden. dark amber, no head or lacing though.

First smell was of skunk .. which is acceptable for this beer style. It was kind of amazing how skunk filled my room. Anyway, the skunk smell does blow over once you pour it into a glass. Afterwards, buttered toast comes to mind, mixed with pepper and freshly cut grass.

The taste was of lemon skin, fresh bread, a lot of hot sauce type spiciness. The earthy, grassy Saaz hop taste lingers on the tongue for a long time.

This was a really crisp and easy to drink beer. There is a slight burn on my tongue though while gulping, probably due to the high hops used. I could drink these for a while and not be bored.

4.07/5  rDev +14%

Pilsner Urquell is crystal-clear and golden, but it doesn't have that "looks like urine" too-light yellow character.

Right when I open the bottle, I smell some sulfur, or "skunk." After the sulfur blows off, I notice hops - Czech Saaz. There's also a grassy smell, but not unpleasant.

As far as the flavor, it's a very clean beer - about all I get here is hops. It's crisp, and there's a bitter finish to it. Unlike big exciting Belgian beers with crazy esters and fusel alcohols and spice notes, this is a good, clean, simple beer. They put malt and hops into the beer, and you taste malt and hops. Pretty straightforward.

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a green bottle into a weizen glass. Has a rich gold/brownsh color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is good with some sweetness. Taste is crisp and a tad sweet with a slight bitter finish. Feels fine in the mouth and is very drinkable. Overall a good beer.

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured bottle into glass.

Appearance: Golden and clear with a nice, big, frothy head. Frankly, that was a little unexpected, but nice.

Smell: Mostly a malt smell but it seemed to have a bit of a hoppy aroma lingering in the background.

Taste: A little bit bland compared to some other beers I've tried as this seems to be pure malt and hops. However, still pretty good and very smooth aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin, nothing special to report here.

Drinkability: Maybe it's just my conditioned American tastes here, but I found this beer a little funky. I applaud the effort to not put any adjuncts in the beer to cut the flavor, but for me, this is just not my thing. Not horrible or anything, but not exactly for me.

2.74/5  rDev -23.2%

Hard pour from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. It produced a three finger head and I had to wait to get it all into the glass. The head diminished to a chunky one finger and then finally to a thin film that went the distance, leaving a light lacing on the glass.

The aroma was of very slight skunk (why do they insist on these green bottles?) followed by even lighter malt and some hoppy/grassy notes.

The taste was mostly bitter hops and could have used more malt character, but there was definitely some light malt notes available, I just had to hunt for them. The finish is dry and bitter in the back of the throat and it hangs on for a loooong time. Hops fans will like this.

The mouthfeel is just average for a pils. There is a little less carbonation than you would find in, say, your average American macro, but it still keeps the beer light and refreshing.

Overall, it's fairly bitter for a pilsner. The low ABV means you can drink a bunch of these. Anyone who's read any of my reviews knows that I'm not a big fan of beer that is unbalanced toward the bitter, and I feel that this beer is very close to being just that, so I would not make this my session beer of choice. Having said that, I still find this to be a somewhat pleasant brew for the style.

3.67/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a pale yellow amber with a finger or two of white head. Head dissipates almost completely before too long, leaving little lacing.

S: Earthy floral hops, with some sweetness.

T: Sweet up front, dominated by slightly citrusy flavored hops on the finish.

M: Finishes very dry, and the bitterness stays around on the aftertaste. Quite carbonated, fairly light mouthfeel. Some astringency.

D: Drinks quite easily.

3.82/5  rDev +7%

bought at the beer store. single twelve ounce bottle. pours clear and golden. thin white head. no lace. looks ok.

earthy spicy hop aroma. smells good. no off odors.

hops up front. herbal. good and sweet. fairly clean aftertaste.

mid-light body. ok carbonation. i like this beer. i will have it again someday.

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Surprised I haven't reviewed this one yet as I have tried it several times in the past.

Nice clear amber yellow with lot's of fine carbonation bubbles slowly rising to the surface. Bone white head shows decent retention..so far so good.

Really wanted to write a glowing review about how good it smells, but I can't. Some of that classic Saaz hop ( extract from what I hear) comes through, but a decidedly veggie-like aroma is a put off.

Smooth, somewhat slick feel is follwed by sweet, almost earthy malt. Spicy hop dominates after that. An almost citrus crispness to it. Finish is hoppy and dry.

Pretty darn hoppy, but with a solid malt backbone. Not everyone's cup of tea b/c of the bitterness, but one I will go back to again.

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

It has taken some time for me to get to liking Czech pilsners. I'm continuing to keep an open mind!

A finger of white bubbly head rests over a dazzling and clear golden brew. Aromas are undeniably Saaz--grassy and fresh cut hops! The mouthfeel is a bit watery which downplays the flavors, but the Saaz characteristics are still there with some spiciness and an herbal flavor that seems a bit off from the rest of the flavors. Grainy malt characteristic lingers, despite the watery mouthfeel. This beer is good for the price, though I don't know if I'd buy it again over a good local pils like SN Summerfest!

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a clear light gold with a creamy head. Smells fresh and full of earth. Initial taste of sweet nut and citrus flavors, and tastes of caramel and hops round it out - a great medium between sweet and bitter. Overall very pleased with my first Pilsner Urquell. Very refreshing, ahhh.

4.16/5  rDev +16.5%

A: deep golden color that leads to a creamy small bubbled head
S: intense drying citrus hops and noble hops and little bit of barley malt
T: sweet buttery to start with then slowly drys to a noble hop velvety bitterness very good
M: medium body that travels down as smooth as a babys ass
D: great i can drink a whole twelve pack

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Deep gold body. Nice head.

S: Noble hobs, a bit of lemon.

T: Lots of clean hoppy bitterness, some buttery diacetyl.

M: Light to medium. Decent carbonation.

D: A classic. It's not one that blows me away, but it's one that I keep coming back to.

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance: Nice head, that seems to last forever. Clear in look, but an orange tint to the base golden color.

Aroma: floral, with a nice hit of hops. Little bit of malt beneath it all. A little weak for a pilsner, but still present.

Taste: A little watery, to be honest. Though the malt is there up front, and a bit of bitterness that hits midway, this beer seems to be more water than flavor. It's not off. Just weak.

Mouthfeel: Like I mentioned before, watery, and only little bit of carbonation. Average.

Drinkability: This beer looks better than it tastes, and even smells better than it tastes. I'm trying to put in my mind what a pilsner should taste like, but I'll be damned if I think this is the best example of one.

4.9/5  rDev +37.3%

Coming back to this beer on tap after having it in the bottles and can (Actually my favorite way to drink this beer) for years. No matter what, no light lager stacks up to the original. Maybe marketing and aura has gotten to my head, or maybe it's the homebrewing, but there is so much flavor packed into this beer. With the malt, the triple decoction adds a perfect sweetness to the flavor profile while turning it a beautiful golden hue. You can tell the difference immediately in pils beers if it's decocted or not in the malt presence and the darker color. It smells of floral saaz hops that are spicy and perfect in IBU's. They go very well together in the flavor of the beer and the yeast character is subtle at best. The triple decoction adds dextrin-feel to the mouthfeel, but no matter what, it's a light lager, but it BLOWS the competition away. I'll order this anytime I see it and the selection sucks, because this beer turned me on to better things, and now that I've brewed my own and realize how much goes into creating this beer perfectly, I respect it that much more.

4.33/5  rDev +21.3%

An old, old favorite that I can't believe I've never reviewed. Happened on to a particularly fresh 12 pack -- here goes.

A -- Nice and clear, deep gold with a white head that hangs around.

S -- Seems a bit light in the aroma department. Spicy hops and some cracker-like malt and ubiquitous DMS eking through.

T -- Very nice, I really ought to give this a top score to style, but it may just be a bit light in malt character. Starts out with a hit of spicy and bitter hops, followed by lightly sweet, bready malt. Some vague butteriness, but not really to a diacetyl character. Finishes dry with a lean toward bitterness.

M -- Soft and almost buttery mouth-feel with a light medium body.

D -- Yes, I'll have another please.

2.98/5  rDev -16.5%

A: Pale golden color with white head.. tons and tons of carbonation.

S: A bit of spice, a bit of skunk. Not sure if this is a bad bottle or the regular smell..

T: A little bit of spice and hops in the background..not great, not horrible.. a solid average..

M: Lots of carbonation, and a little bite.

D: Pass. Not my favorite style, and this one isn't changing my mind.. I read a lot of people really like it, but judging from this experience, I am not sure why.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.