Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
jasonjlewis

4.2/5  rDev +18%

Appearance: Great head. Decent retention
Smell: hops and malts are very apparent on the nose. Very nice and inticing.
Taste: balanced, crisp, refreshing. Very nice beeer to relax with.
Mouthfeel: Crisp, clean, refreshing.
Drinkabiliy: Sessionable pilsner. Very easy to drink. My first czech pilsner. I was not disappointed.

10-01-2006 07:31:41 | More by jasonjlewis
russpowell

Oklahoma

2.7/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured golden with a 1" white head, great lacing & good head retention

S: Skunkyness & citric hops combine

t: A little sweet malt, then grainyness & finally soapyness & astringency. Finishes dry with a hint of hops & grainyness

MF" :light/medium bodied & prickly.

Drinkable, just not very enjoyable Didn't find many good samples in CZ or Germany, but this is even worse. Only a step ahead of BMC IMO, give me Budvar or almost any othe Czech lager any day

09-30-2006 04:10:44 | More by russpowell
geetlord

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

This beer poured clear and golden with a tall head.
The aroma was very hoppy and somewhat yeasty. The beer was crisp, and very very bitter and hoppy. I enjoyed the crispness and freshness of the beer as tehy made it very refreshing, but teh bitterness was a bit more than I can usualy handle. HTe bitterness made it hard for me to fully enjoy, but must taste wonderfull to those who like crisp and hoppy beers.

09-25-2006 01:13:30 | More by geetlord
bonbright7

I was actually in the hunt for something new in the King Kullen Market of Huntington, NY this evening, but the cold shelves were devoid of anything worth mentioning, except this and the Southampton IPA. I mentally flipped a coin for it and went with the Pilsner U.

I brought it home with a large pizza to share with my wife as we settled in and I had to take notice the way the beer flowed easily into a 50cl glass. The light golden beer came with a mulitude of champagne style bubbles that contributed to the slight head that invited my first taste.

The Pilsner U. started with a bitter cream right away that reminded me of many other European mass marketed beers, but it kept unfolding with hints of other flavors. I thought there was a grassy flavor to it that reminded me of sprouts (!). I also noted a slight bite to it as I put it down.

Clearly, this would be a great beer for tail gate parties as well as one to have with a fat ham and swiss hero.

09-20-2006 00:44:07 | More by bonbright7
sockeye101

3.08/5  rDev -13.5%

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, pilsners just ain't my thing. But, as pils go, this isn't so bad. Nice golden hue with a white 1 finger head that lasted a little while but ever fully disappeared, moderate lacing. Aromas a sweet and hopy-floral, with a note of yeast. Tastes are slightly bitter up front and a grassy grain lingering aftertaste. Overall not my favorite beer, but considering the style, and everything it's not bad....clean, crisp and goes down easy.

09-18-2006 22:48:42 | More by sockeye101
asabreed

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Golden yellow hue with tiny bubbles slowly pushing toward the top. Head fades pretty fast but leaves some nice sticky lacing and slight round clumps on the glass.

Smell: An herbal grassy quality dominates, along with some slight hop bitterness, some slight citrus, and sweetness from the malt.

Taste: Grassiness, lemon and herbal qualities with some malt sweetness, slight hop bitterness and grain lingers on the tongue, for a longer finish than I expected.

Mouthfeel: A lot of carbonation provides a bit of a sprawling nature rather than more of a creaminess to the brew.

Drinkability: Not something I drink a lot, and there are better examples of the style, but I like this brew every once in a while. It's better than a lot of other readily available imports also in my opinion.

09-13-2006 21:30:54 | More by asabreed
Neehan

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a nice gold with a moderately sized head that shrinks rather quickly. Smelled just a bit skunky before the pour but no sign of that whatsoever after filling the glass. The aroma is of grass & grains combined with a nice sweet fruit complimenting it. A smooth and crisp taste, not complex but enjoyable with a solid bite. The mouthfeel is smooth and mostly balanced, a bit on the carbonated side. Very drinkable and worthy of consideration for a session.

09-11-2006 22:57:53 | More by Neehan

Lace: decent

Color:
Reflected- ylo
Transmitted- ylo

Aroma: classic skunk

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: adjusts well

Taste:
Balanced lager with rich character.

Comments: The taste is well balanced. Much like Heineken, but better; understandable why this is an original classic.

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- y
With Friends- y
Sipping- y
Get my buzz on- y (session)

09-11-2006 04:07:21 | More by TechMyst
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

3.18/5  rDev -10.7%

12 oz bottle>Pilsner glass

AP: Clear light Gold color, bright white head. Very little activity happening here...the head however, is bubbly and pretty thick.

Smells: wheaty, yeasty. Not much else happening really.

Taste: slight bitter hop, a nice clean wheaty taste.

Feels: Thin, clean and crisp. Although I have a feeling this would really "pop" on tap and not in the bottle.

Easy enough to drink, in fact, I could drink 'em all night long, but I would get too bored.

09-11-2006 03:12:39 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
mynie

Indiana

4.2/5  rDev +18%

What a difference a pour makes.

Green bottles get skunked. It's a fact of life, and it really makes me hesitant to try a good deal of imported pilseners.

But there here--on tap! A-and my only other decent selection is Honker's Ale? Hell, bring it on my good man. Erm... a warm glass, please. Nope, no frost needed.

Too embarassed after asking for a warm glass to ask them to put a head on it, but, and in spite of the bartender's earnest efforts towards eliminating all vestiges of one, a small and stubborn head remains atop a brilliantly dark gold.

Smells incredible, for the style. Huge hop presence, remarkbly dry and floral yet still retaining a basic simplicity.

The hops are still there in the taste, still remarkably complex while retaining their simplicity, and balanced by a great, crisp, and fruity malt.

A superb example of the style.

09-08-2006 23:38:11 | More by mynie
kkipple

South Carolina

4.33/5  rDev +21.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tall Pilsner glass.

Urquell is an impressively bubbly, clear golden beer, with an inch and a half of pure white foam that settles slowly leaving a small bit of lace.

Smell is bold and strong, boasting hops, light malts, and a floral sweetness. There’s the smallest hint of skunk, but I think it’s supposed to be this way… at least every Urquell I’ve tasted has had it.

Wonderful taste to this one. A clean malt profile with a definite hop kick, this is one of the hoppier Pilsners I’ve tried. Something in this beer reminds me of mineral water I used to drink in Vienna. Perhaps a touch of sulfur? There’s also some honey sweetness once you get past the hops. This beer is biscuity, bitter & inviting.

Finishes crisp, refreshing and dry, like a Pilsner should. Leaves a pleasing bittersweet hop flavor behind in my mouth.

I personally think that the Pilsner style is severely underappreciated, and Pilsner Urquell is a great beer for both Pilsner newcomers and veterans alike. It’s cheap, easy to find, and highly drinkable. A great summer beer, you’ll find this in my fridge year-round. If you haven’t yet tried it, you should.

Oh yeah, make sure you get it more or less "fresh". I hear on tap near the source it is remarkable... someday I'll have to find out for myself.

09-06-2006 21:44:30 | More by kkipple
greebsnarf

4.22/5  rDev +18.5%

What can I possibly say about this world-famous pilsner, the first beer I ever liked? Though I've had it bottled plenty of times since that life-changing day, tonight was my first time getting it on tap, since I usually feel too adventurous to be interested. It arrived with no head except for a long-lasting thin film over the pinkish gold ("peachy," I noted) liquid sparkling with the small bubbles running through it. The smell was floral, sour and slightly citrusy; the taste, slightly bready, slightly fruity, but mostly just crisp, with enough hops to refresh and nothing more. Sure, it's not deep, but who cares?

A huge difference from the bottles, which taste a little stale in comparison even when they're not skunked. I wish they'd put more thought into the packaging; this beer deserves better than that god-awful green bottle.

09-05-2006 07:55:55 | More by greebsnarf
kosmoraios

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

Reviewing for the style. Been drinking lighter beers lately, because this summer's heat has been oppressive for too long.

Pours a crisp, clear golden color into a pint glass. Head is small, maybe 1-finger. Lasts about 70 seconds, leaving slight lacing on the glass.

Aroma is of floral Saaz(?) hops. Maybe a hint of light yeast, but mostly hops. A bit of the green-glass skunkness is evident.

Taste is more of the green-glass hoppy skunkiness that is characteristic of many Euro lagers. Not entirely unpleasant, though. Somewhat floral.

Mouthfeel is spicy and oily with a nice wash of carbonation. A nice, light, drinkable pils, good in the summertime.

08-27-2006 18:32:46 | More by kosmoraios
BeerSox

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%

12oz bottle into a pilsner glass.

Pours a crystal clear golden hue that seems to glow. A decent, off-white head ascends from the rising carbonation. The head lowers after a while to a paper thin cap. Thin lacing along the glass.

Very strong hop aromas radiate far enough that you can smell them from two feet away. The hop aromas are earthy and piney.

The Saaz hops are once again the dominant trigger for the senses, this time for taste. Slight bread-like malt notes are hidden. Sweet hints can be detected. Drier finish with the hop flavor hanging around for a while.

Lighter bodied with high carbonation. Sometimes the flavor is diluted a little by the fizzyness.

Once a defining standard of Pilsners, now seems middle of the pack. A good choice for the summer. Comes in a green bottle, so watch out for skunked hop oils from the light.

08-27-2006 03:52:13 | More by BeerSox
edmundfitzoil

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

Pilsner Urquell poured from one of those blasted green bottles (I bought a 12 pack in hopes that the light had stayed out) into a pilsner glass.

The beer poured a brilliant gold with constant, champagne like cascades of co2 bubbles perpetually rising to the top of the glass. The head of the beer poured a fizzy bright white, but retained fairly well. I poured my beer cold, almost directly from the refrigerator, and the glass began sweating here on a night that at 9:30 PM it's still over 82 outside. The beer's flavor featured a distinctly spicy hoppiness with a dry finish. A beer for the hot weather, and a throw back to the days in undergrad when we'd drink this at Panini's. A treat untap and very drinkable when found in an unskunked bottle.

08-25-2006 01:30:38 | More by edmundfitzoil
klewis

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Pours light golden in color with a large bubbly head taht quickly susbsides. No lacing.

S: Floral hops aromas with some yeasty esters

T: Somewhat spicy with a significant amount of hops bitterness.

M: Light in body with and very highly carbonated. A fizzy texture in the mouth gets in the way of the flavor.

D: Light, crisp, and refreshing, and a good beer if you're in the mood for something of the character. However, this isn't quite good enough to make it into my regular rotation.

08-19-2006 21:23:25 | More by klewis
Dizzy

3.95/5  rDev +11%

This classic pours a golden color with a fluffy white head. Aroma is floar Saaz hops and malts. Very clean tasting, hop flavors balance well with the malts, the finish is a nice hop bitterness. Medium mouthfeel . This is a great beer to pick up when you are somewhere with a poor selection (got this at Target). I could easily drink several of these in a setting, but are the green bottles really necesary? Overall though, this is a good beer.

08-16-2006 01:25:06 | More by Dizzy
goschool

On-tap at Molly Malone’s in Los Angeles.

The pour is clear gold with a longish lasting white head. I got a bit of citrus from the saaz hops, which is unexpected, but nice, to go with subtle grains. The flavor won't hit you in the face with bitterness or malts, but its crisp hops and light malts are refreshing as hell.

08-14-2006 07:09:45 | More by goschool
BDTyre

British Columbia (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev -14.9%

Looks good. Golden amber colour with a nice head. The head disappates very quickly, and actually is a bit disappointing in the long run. Crystal clear with tiny bubbles.

Malt and skunk smell. Caramel and sourness. One dimensional. Very little depth to the scent beyond malt and skunk.

Sour, malt taste. Hops in the background. Not entirely unpleasant, but way too generic to impress me.

Acceptable mouthfeel. Carbonation present, but no soda-pop tingle. Drinkable, but there are better pilsners out there.

08-13-2006 05:31:02 | More by BDTyre
eballard

2.78/5  rDev -21.9%

The pour is a rich golden color with a light head. The head quickly disappeared and left a light lace. The beer started with a heavy skunky smell and settled into a sweet musky smell. The beer has a strong pilsner taste that hits the corners of your mouth with a bit of a bite. It has a crisp bubbly feel smooth. A decent beer over all. The bite gets me a little bit but certainly a beer I’d be willing to drink.

08-05-2006 22:48:28 | More by eballard
kimcgolf

Georgia

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pale yellow with minimal head. I’m not much of a pilsner fan to begin with, and this didn’t work hard to change my mind. I’ll put this in the same category as other light bodied beers. Not a lot of taste and other qualities we normally rate, but oklay for having a couple cold beers by the pool on a hot summer day.

08-03-2006 01:48:16 | More by kimcgolf
mjc410

Vermont

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Draft pout into a PU goblet at Stuff Yer Face in New Brunswick, NJ.

Forms a slight ring on around the glass, beautiful dark gold-yellow, very active columns of bubbles rising. Smells lightly malty and grassy. The taste is dominated by spicy hops, which lend their wonderful floral bitterness. There's also an earthy character, which is unique among the pilsners that I've had. The mouthfeel is light (but not as light as many pilsners), with a lot of tingling from the high carbonation. I feel that the greater than normal "weight" of this pils hurts the drinkability somewhat, making it less refreshing than its counterparts. I once drank my fair share of this on the beach, and it is a bit much for that pursuit.

07-31-2006 15:59:40 | More by mjc410
haz77

Australia

3.2/5  rDev -10.1%

A - Pours a clear gold with a thin head and plenty of carbonation.

S - Grassy hops, sulphur, some spiciness.

T - Restrained sweetness and citrus at first. Bitterness comes through and follows on into the aftertaste.

M - Light to medium body and medium carbonation.

D - Clean and refreshing beer, nothing fancy.

07-31-2006 08:39:53 | More by haz77
TheFeintingGoat

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Picked up a bomber at a local market at poured into a .5 L Pilsner Urquell glass (the glass was in my possession before I tasted the beer).

Let me preface this by saying I don't usually like pilsners, just a personal thing, but since I had the glass I has to try.
It pours a gorgeous yellow hue which is best described as the color of myer lemons, and it has a nice thick, foamy head that sticks around for a bit.
The smell is very nice and wheatish, with a yeast undertone. Hops are also evident.
The taste is very nice, with hints of honey, ginger, and lemon zest are commanded by the bitter hops. These leave a nice refreshed feeling on the back of the swallow. The mouthfeel is nice, as the hops comes out to play a bit more if the swallow is delayed. The hops become a bit too evident at times, overshadowing the other flavors.
I'd drink this more than I drink any other pilsner I've had, if that says anything. On a summer night, like tonight, it'd be a great refresher, as it's not that expensive. Overall, it's a good beer, but a bit too formulaic and a tad unbalanced for my taste. Still, it's a good pilsner, I'd recommend this beer over many others at your normal bar; it tastes like it'd be better on tap. I just wish they wouldn't use a green bottle.

07-31-2006 02:19:07 | More by TheFeintingGoat
RJLarse

3.88/5  rDev +9%

I picked up a bomber of Pilsner Urquell at a grocery store, to taste, review and enjoy. I poured this beer in to a pilsner glass.

Pours a pale gold color and is crystal clear. A small champagne-style head is gone quickly, leaving a thin foam on the top of the beer. The head produces virtually no lacing.

The smell is interesting, it has a sweet perfume or incense fragrance to it.

The taste is a mild grain flavor, followed by a mildly bitter hop finish. It’s a typical pilsner taste.

The mouth feel is light, crisp and moderately carbonated.

This is a drinkable beer, and a good representation of the style. A solid pils, and there aren’t many left, at least around here.

07-27-2006 05:05:24 | More by RJLarse
Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.