Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
Wasatch

Utah

3.28/5  rDev -7.9%

It was nice to see that the liquor store carried it. Beer appears a yellowish color with no head. I like the taste for a pils, but have tasted better. It leaves a nice feel in the mouth with a nice aftertaste. I will most likely not buy it again, but if you have a chance to check it out, do so.

06-12-2005 18:50:02 | More by Wasatch
TheDeuce

2.45/5  rDev -31.2%

Pilsner Urquell....

Appearance-pristene golden color with a decent head, no lace to speak of and the head dissapears quickly.

Smell-grainy aroma, some hops and malt thrown in, not much else.

Taste-initially a full on grainy take that is brutal and harsh, somewhat hard to keep in the mouth for a long time without wanting to gag. Hops and malt are present but seem lost.

Mouthfeel-as noted, not too great, not crisp at all like a true pilsener and lacks decent flavor.

Drinkability-not alcoholic, so if your into this type of beer you'll be fine, as for it's actual drinking though I cannot recommend it.

Overall-dissapointing, not crisp or refreshing like a true lager/pilsener should be and lacking in most other areas with a rather thrown together essence. I can't recommend it in the face of much better pilseners on my liquor store shelves.

06-06-2005 07:44:12 | More by TheDeuce
Bierschenker

4.58/5  rDev +28.7%

This beer welcomes me with a very nice and rich odour. I could notice a very nice hop and citrus smell.
A very nice pale golden transparent beer with a beautiful head.
The Urquel has a lively cloudy carbonation.
It tastes very refreshing and crisp. A satisfying sweet hop taste that ends in a soft and silky dry bitter aftertaste.
This is a very pleasant and easy drinking pilsner. This is the best non-Belgian Pilsener I have ever had. I know a bar that has it on-tap, I'm certainly going to try it very soon.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

06-04-2005 19:56:33 | More by Bierschenker
ommegangpbr

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

Really quite pretty and fragrant.
Very drinkable, very crisp, very findable.
It's probably not the beer that it used to be once upon a time but it's still pretty good.
Often my choice when I'm not in the mood to experiment or review or reflect upon the nuances of beer; just crack open the bottle and drink it down.
Tastes different out of the glass than from out of the bottle... but both ways taste good.
I likes me some pilsner and this is a solid one

06-02-2005 04:45:53 | More by ommegangpbr
feloniousmonk

Clear, pale golden hue. Thick, lush head.
Lively nose, pretty, floral, lightly spicy...dandy, with a dash of honey.
Neat hops on the tongue, with a long, welcome stay on the palate.
Light bodied, dry, hoppy finish.
I'm not a lager man, but a classic pilsner like this will always be a friend, in a pinch.

06-01-2005 02:24:54 | More by feloniousmonk
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Medium gold in color with a fair amount of carbonation. The smell is of mild malts and Saaz hops. Flavors are not all that complex, but work together in perfect harmony: slightly sweet malt, grassy hops, and a clean (somewhat drying) bitterness. Fantastic drinkability too. Beware of the green bottles, as older ones tend to get a little light struck and cause some skunky flavor notes. I'd love to try this stuff on tap one day. This would also make a great "stepping stone" beer for someone trying to get into better beers.

05-18-2005 16:10:50 | More by fisherman34
bceaglejoe

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%

Presentation: Poured a clear golden color into a traditional pint glass. There was a small white head with very little retention. It appeared that there was a moderate amount of carbonation as well. The scent was rather light, with some crisp hop aroma. There really wasn't much to it.

Tasting: Some spicy hop bitterness dominated the palate, as well as a little bit of malt sweetness as well. It tasted like it had greater carbonation than I thought it would have. Slight oily notes were also noticeable on the palate. It was a light bodied beer that didn't go down as smooth as I would have liked. It would be good for a session beer, due to the low alcohol content, but I wasn't necessarily wowed by it.

I would recommend it if you're interested in learning about the Czech Pilsner style. If you aren't a big fan of those kinds of beers, then you may not like this as much. But this was pretty good to me.

05-13-2005 04:19:55 | More by bceaglejoe
cracgor

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Poured into the pilsner glass and looked quite appetizing-exactly like a pilsner should, clear, golden color and a frothy, light head. But the head collapsed almost entirely before I was done drinking. There was no sticking to the glass either.

Smell: very malty in smell; hops are a light background smell.

Taste: It has an excellent malty character. Noble hops ring out in the background to brighten the flavor. No noticable after taste.

Mouthfeel: Much fuller body than would be expected by the appearance.

Drinkability: Interesting flavor but not the type of thing I could session drink.

05-11-2005 23:06:09 | More by cracgor
BeerFink

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into my pilsner glass, it sits a clear golden hue, marked by lots of effervescent carbonation. A thin pure white head sits atop this refreshing looking brew. Aroma of grassy, floral, slightly citrous hops and some pale malt. Taste is very similar to the smell, clean and grassy. Flavor is not very deep or complex. Some shy hops come in toward the end with some floral and citrous notes. I really enjoyed the high carbonation in the mouthfeel. It made it all the more quenching. Not much aftertaste at all. The flavor leaves your palate fairly quickly after quaffing. Definitely a good tasting and crisp pils.

05-06-2005 22:41:34 | More by BeerFink
twi1609372

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%

well this stuff is worth a try. It has an actually good flavor. i wouldent say unique, i still perfer becks for this type of beer, but this is by no means bad. Goes down easy and is all around pretty good. The main sore spot i found was this beer has a lingering aftertaste, more so than most other beers, it isnt horrable but it is noticeable.

05-05-2005 02:43:35 | More by twi1609372
Citadel82

3.13/5  rDev -12.1%

I was enjoying a couple of these with some friends. This beer has lost much of its shine for me. It is a quality product to be sure but it is tame and bland when compared to some of its American counter-parts. Dark burnished gold color with a short-lived white head. Faint floral hop aroma, not much else, taste is faintly hoppy, some faint malt/biscuit not very assertive, rather thin mouth feel with a decent amount of effervessence. Still refreshing, still enjoyable, but not the best out there.

05-02-2005 08:55:38 | More by Citadel82
nota

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

This beers appearance is a bright golden. There is a fair amount of hop presence . This particular bottle has some skunk smell to it. A bit more flavor than your average pilsner with some spice, citrusy and sourness. finishes with a bitter dry mouthfeel.

04-23-2005 20:21:56 | More by nota
BuckSpin

Maine

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured a warm gold with a tight, white 1/2" head of slightly clinging lace - AKA a stereotypical draft. Nose was soft & light, no real discernable characteristics.

Very even on my tongue, with a mild malt and bitter finish. Can't really say anything spectacular about it - it wasn't bad, nor was it great. If this was on a wall of craft taps, it would go bypassed in the future, but I certainly wouldn't turn one down.

04-20-2005 01:16:58 | More by BuckSpin
kegerator

Maryland

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

pale yellow with thin ring of head around the edge. smell was quite grainy with a slight hint of earthy hop. taste was about the same yet the hop profile seemed a little more citrusy then the aroma led on. light bodied and finishes light and crisp. All in all not bad. I would drink this again on a nice warm summer night.

04-13-2005 18:13:25 | More by kegerator
walleye

3.1/5  rDev -12.9%

from the bottle. poured light honey with a nice size white head. aroma, malts, hops some skunkieness but not to bad grains. flavor, citrus, malts hints of sugar and a bitter sourness. not to bad, very easy to drink will make a good hot summer day beer to just throw down.

04-07-2005 22:50:34 | More by walleye
animal

A true classic. What is to be expected from the original pilsner. The perfect combination of taste, smell, drinkability, appearance, and mouthfeel. This is truly the standard by which all pilsner- style beers are, or at least ought to be measured! Cheers!!

04-06-2005 03:36:35 | More by animal
Enygma

On tap in Prague. There are a few beers you'll find everywhere in the czech republic, and this was probably my favorite among them.

Appearance is quite nice. Presented in a pilsner glass with a very nice, slowly receding head. The aroma is full of hoppiness and malt, though it doesn't quite help to convey the quality of beer you're about to receive. Flavor is very crisp and refreshing, with a sizeable hop bite to it. Really a fantastic pilsner. It also proves to be a very drinkable beer. I came back to it more than any other while i was in prague, and if it weren't for the drunken stupor that would result i wouldn't mind drinking this thing for hours upon hours.

03-31-2005 14:41:58 | More by Enygma
mrdudesir

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Got one of the massive half liter cans from a friend who got me a bunch of beer when she was in Prague. Poured a clear, deep yellow, with massive head. Smell and taste were both very crisp, with a very satisfying taste. The beer went down smoothly, although the mouthfeel wasn't quite all there.

03-28-2005 22:17:08 | More by mrdudesir
Barraclou

Quebec (Canada)

2.63/5  rDev -26.1%

Presentation: 12oz green bottle, 4.4%ABV, Expiring in 4 months.

Appearance: Dark morning piss yellow (sorry, if it sounds vulgar...). I would probably describe it as brownish/reddish yellow with amber copper reflets. Good head of white foam when pour. It didn't lasts for a very long time.

Smell: Skunk alert! Damn, it was awful when I uncapped my bottle.

Taste: Bitter. It got taste, but I don't really like it. Tastes too much like the smell.

Mouthfeel: Very common. Not much to say here.

Drinkability: I don't know if I was unlucky, but the beer seems overated. Skunkness seems too usual with the "high-class" product. I already miss my Eggenberg (reviewed during the same current session.)

03-26-2005 21:34:39 | More by Barraclou
hefevice

Australia

2.48/5  rDev -30.3%

Bottle with 7 months to go until use by date. Poured clear light gold with a small head which disipated very quickly despite giving the pour plenty of air. Suspect I have smelt my first skunk (we don't have any of that particular animal over here in Australia, other than in some of our beers) - first aroma was unpleasant to say the least. Picked up a little grass under the skunk aroma, but not much else. Felt somewhat watery in the mouth, and the taste was dominated by astringent bitterness. Either I got a particularly badly light affected bottle, or I do not like the Pilsner style. Will be definitely seeking out some pilsners on tap to make sure it is not the latter.

03-26-2005 07:31:20 | More by hefevice
dgthompson

3.1/5  rDev -12.9%

Decent beer. I work with a couple of guys who love this beer and continually try to turn me on to it. It is ok, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it. My biggest issue si with the taste/smell - it is failry bitter to me, not the type of beer that goes down smooth and I say "ahhh" aftwerwards. Has more of a bite to it. Again, it is decent - I would not complain if this was all I had to drink for a night, but it wouldn't be a preference of mine.

03-25-2005 23:39:45 | More by dgthompson
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.47/5  rDev +25.6%

This beer poured a golden yellow color with a small head that sat over the beer. The nose had some light honey sweetness over a some nice noble hops. It smelled nice. The flavor is nice, with refreshing noble hop bitter flavor. Right where I want things in a pilsner. The feel was moderate in body and in carbonation. Crisp and refreshing. One of the better pilsner beers I have had in a long time. I will definately be having this again in the near future.

03-04-2005 02:01:23 | More by kmpitz2
zuker

Ontario (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

A beer that is found at every Croatian soccer tournament and post game celebration here in the Sault. Great beer to relax and unwind to. Hops are clearly present on the nose, and the taste is superbly balanced with hoppy bitterness. Recommended strongly for the lover of a great import to which all pilsners in North America are based upon.

03-01-2005 03:33:19 | More by zuker
gimmehead

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: deep gold, bubbly white head, lots of streaming bubbles

Smell: lemony and quite subtle

Taste: wonderful Saaz hops, grassy, citrus, smoky spicy

Mouthfeel: think champagne; dry, crisp, lots of carbonation

Drinkability: very refreshing and light, great in the summertime; a little fragile, should be consumed cold because it can get pretty "watery" as it warms: think Coors Light

02-13-2005 00:46:46 | More by gimmehead
Goldorak

Quebec (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%

Sampled out of the can, I've never dared to try it out of the green bottles.

Appearance: Golden/straw yellow, with a fluffy head that died down into patchy clumps that floated around the light lacing, something I don't recall ever seeing from any other pilsner, czech, macro or other. So it wins a bonus 0.5 points for that.

Smell: Here again, compared to most of it's imitators, you can totally smell the grassy Saaz. I'm not hop-biased, it's just as good to me as Cascade or Hallertau or all the others when it's given the chance to shine, like in this case.

Taste: Mid to light carbonation, light maltyness and grassyness, finished clean with mild hoppy aftertaste.

02-09-2005 00:22:28 | More by Goldorak
Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.