Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,077 | Reviews: 1,328
4.22/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 19oz pilsner.

Appearance: Pours a darker straw color with a small but thick white head that leaves very slowly and leaves a little lacing in the glass.

Smell: Grain and spicy hops. Also, a bit bready.

Taste: Sweet and grassy and then a hop bitterness toward the end.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, thin, and crisp.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable beer. Very well balanced, is refreshing but still retains a lot of flavor. Could go good with food, alone, or as a lawnmower- very versatile. This beer is a pleasure to drink and is definitely something I will be getting in the future.

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Golden hazy color with a thin head.
Smell: Malty, hay, citrus, and floral.
Taste: Malty with a hint of floral, citrus, fresh cut grass, and hops.
Overall: The finish is slightly bitter but mellows out for an easy drinking. This is good beer I enjoyed it.

2.34/5  rDev -34.5%

Original Rating Date:
June 16, 2008

Had this at a beer tasting event. Hoppy aroma covered in skunk. Nice golden appearance. Flavor wasn't nearly as skunky as the aroma was. It was quite hoppy, well balanced. Nice to taste a true pilsener rather than the weak American light beer type pilsener. Still, I'm not a huge fan of this type of beer. Too light, still too watery, and a skunky profile thanks to the green bottle. The flavor is the best part, which is what matters, but overall the beer isn't anything special in my eyes.

Another example of a beer that I need to experience on tap to purge my memories of more light-stricken beer.

I had this on tap at a local Italian restaraunt. The beer was served in a pint glass, pale yellow in color with a fluffy white head. The head left nice lacing rings on the glass. There was a pepppery smell on the nose with hints of bread. The beer is crisp with a pleasant hoppy bitterness. It was light and easy drinking and went great with my veal chop.

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

My first beer in the Czech Republic and it is indeed much better than in the green bottle in the US.

Starts with a beautiful, off-white head (note: the Czechs ALWAYS serve their beer with a decent head. In fact, their glass are larger to accommodate this.) It recedes slowly. The color is dark straw and clear.

The aroma is the only element short of expectation--very light malt with delicate hops in the background.

Light malt flavor up front. Nice hoppy finish that is still mild compared to American versions. The body is exactly as one would expect.

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

I don't know if Pilsner Urquell is different in Europe versus the US, but this bottle claims to be brewed and bottled in the Czeck republic. Best before date is 23.07.09. Label lists exactly 3 ingredients (yeast not listed). Purchased in Reykjavik last week.

Cold 0,33 L bottle poured into half liter nonic glass. Beer pours with a slightly orange yellow color, but totally crystal clear, with almost non-existent white head.

Beer has a very faint, non-skunky, beery smell. Flavor is cold and crisp and refreshing. Lightly fizzy. Bitterness is slight and well-balanced. What's really impressive is that for a lager, there's basically no sweetness. The tongue just shakes hands with the beer to say "hi, I'm malted barley" and then moves on.

Overall: a perfect balance, a pleasant taste, and low alcohol make this a supremely drinkable regular.

4.45/5  rDev +24.6%

On tap at Zeki's bar, San Francisco. This is gold, with a huge white head steadily shrinking to a permanent thin, wispy top and a hint of lace.

The aroma is nice, firm bread, herb, lemon, honey and a little mineral.

The taste is similar to the aroma but with more bread and honey sweetness up front with crisp green apples and with the lemon and herb bitterness increasing towards the finish. The bitter lemon and herbs are zesty and linger lightly long afterwards. It is very clean, with a creamy, full feel.

3.56/5  rDev -0.3%

Haven't had any quality lagers in years and I wanted to try this one because my brother in-law lived in Russia for a while and developed a taste for it.

A: Nice white finger head. Quickly dissipated to a thin ring and a dusting. Clear with a straw yellow gold color. Nice columns of carbonation rising. Lagers are always so inviting to look at aren't they?

S: Pretty clean. A little skunk, a little malt and a little hop. Not very bold and not that impressive. Smelled more malty during the last half of the drink.

T: Malt is a little lost. Hop seems to come through strongly. Some citrus. You are left with a very grassy sour hop finish. From half way to the end, it felt more balanced. I felt more of the malt up front and the finish seemed to simmer down.

M: Light body, crisp and well carbonated.

D: My main complaint with this beer was how aggressive the aftertaste was for the first half of the drink. I like hops but this was too much of the wrong type of acidic bitterness. Apart from that, I had no problems downing it and found it enjoyable.

4.76/5  rDev +33.3%

This is my favorite beer of all time. Gotta love these Czech pils!

Appearance - Beautiful, golden yellow colour. Very inviting.

Smell - A bit on the skunky side, but that's due to the green bottle. Nice hop aroma.

Taste - Goes down smooth, then you get hit with that great hop bitterness, and finishes dry. Just delicious!

Mouthfeel - Full, thick, velvety smooth.

Drinkability - I find this a great session beer, as well as a beer to savor/sip so i give it a perfect score.

This is the best Czech pils I've ever drank. Of all the bohemian/Czech pils I've had, this is the best. Highly recommended!

3.48/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a clear golden with a white head and moderate lacing.

Smells a bit grassy, some citric hops here as well. No skunk in this one.

Biscuity flavors and citric hop bitterness dominate. A grassiness or green grain element balances this out. Finishes bitter.

Overall, not bad. Far cry from some of the better representations of the style, but a true decent pizza or burger beer. Nothing I'd reach for on a snowy evening. Worth the try.

3.79/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm not the world's biggest fan of pilseners, but I felt that I owed it to myself to at least try the prototype for the style. I didn't hate it.

Pours a crystal-clear straw color with a white head that disappears in a flash. Very minimal lacing.

Aroma is slight Euro-skunk and a smidge of bready maltiness. Definitely the beer's weak spot. It's not nearly as sulfuric in smell as most other beers I've had out of green bottles. It's just not terribly pleasant.

The flavor isn't half bad. A teensy bit of malt sweetness with a decent (for the style) bitter hop finish. I'm not in love, but it could be far worse.

Mouthfeel is thin, with prickly carbonation. It's got a dry finish, though. I like that. It's also exceptionally crisp.

There are very few beers packaged in green bottles that I can enjoy. In fact, Spaten Optimator is the only other green-bottle beer I can remember liking in the slightest. I'm not going to run out and pick up a six pack of this stuff anytime soon, but if someone offers me a Pilsener Urquell in the future, I'll gladly slug it back.

4.24/5  rDev +18.8%

I was lucky to find this is large European-style cans the other day, and truly this beer is better for it. I have enjoyed this beer on many occasions in the bottle as it is an easy compromise beer for people more accustomed to 'BMC' beers (and they, as well as I always love it). I really just wanted to mention that this beer is available in cans if anybody is interested. If you can find it in your area I think it's worth it, tasted much fresher.
Slainte!

4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours to a clear straw color with a permanet head that is white and creamy.

Has a stong hops and wheat arroma!

Has a dominant hops taste also a hint of maltiness. A dry hops after taste.

A little over carbonated, but smooth.

Very good could drink it all nite!

4.37/5  rDev +22.4%

A: Pale straw colour with fine head, which collapses but the carbonation keeps a permanent head.

S: Wow - all about the Saaz aroma, though the malt does manage to make an appearance underneath.

T: Way up at the hoppy end. The malt/bittering hops flavours are well balanced but the flavour of the hops themselves dominates in the taste. There is a long hop bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: A little over carbonated for my taste but smooth.

D: Very refreshing, I could drink it all night.

I'm not surprised this is held up as the one to match in the pilsner world. I'm no great fan of any lighter lager, but this is a wonderful combination of flavours to match any ale.

2.51/5  rDev -29.7%

well, I had to try this beer as it is a staple of the pilsner class.

The beer poured into my trusty sam adams beer glass with just a little bit of head.

the hue is a light golden, and quite see through

the smell is not pleasant, there is no smell of hops

I forced it down as it was not a cheap beer, though it tastes like one. The sides of my tounge are mad at me, and ready for a pale ale or something with more body and taste.

the mouthfeel is light and almost crisp

it is somewhat drinkable, but not a great beer by any means

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Had this one on tap at The Chimes.

A nice golden color, just what I'd expect from a Euro pilsner. The aroma was a mix of hops and malt... not too strong, but there.

I really enjoy the taste of this one, much better on-tap than out of the bottle. A little bit sweet but hoppy and malty enough to balance that out all at the same time.

I could definitely sit at the bar and drink these guys all night long, a well crafted standard.

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

A pure white bubbly head tops off a golden-orange brew. Carbonation bubbles go wild. Head sticks around a bit and leaves spattering of lace. On the nose a "good" skunk is followed by some sweet malts and musty hay. Tastes grainy and a little sweet. There's a perfect amount of body and taste in this pilsner, and I could hang out with a few of these for a very long time.

3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

Served on-tap at Wolski's. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a bright golden-straw color with a frothy, two-finger head with good retention and noticeable lacing.

S: Hoppy nose with an aroma of yeast. Subtle wafts of cardboard and potato.

T: Opens mildly bitter with a strong hop presence. Lingering notes of sweet malted barley. A touch of biscuit. Finishes dry.

M: Lively carbonated. Crisp and refreshing.

D: Welcomed drinkability. The gold standard for mainstream Pilsners.

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

This is the beer that started it all. The generic name "pilsner" I has the honor of actually visiting the brewery when I lived in Prague and tried this unfiltered too. Whoa... thats strong. Glad to see the Pilser Urqull is making its way around the states.

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%

On-tap at several locations in Prague, CZ

Very clear & golden, light white lacing.

Smell is sharp hops.

Taste is the same, very bitter & sharp hops that stick with you. Very, very crisp. Tastes fresh. Flavor does not live up to the nose.

Lots of CO2, light and sharp.

If you like hops, you can drink it. I personally prefer the darker beers available in prague and was not impressed with this one. Over-rated as an import. I personally find it harsh there (at the Pilsner Urquell pub itself, so don't claim it was not fresh) and here as well.

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

This Beer pours a very light amber color with a small white head that has good retention. I like this beer. It has a very good crisp taste with lots of hops. Not perfect in the after taste but I really do like this Pilsner beer. This is one that I would buy and enjoy again.

3.2/5  rDev -10.4%

This beer pours a clear golden color. The head is a frothy two inches in height, and recedes very slowly into thick, chunky lacing. The aroma is of bready malt with a touch a spicy hops. The taste is on the maltier side too. There is a hint of hops, but not as much as I would expect from a Czech Pilsenser. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this is a decent beer, but there are better pilseners out there.

I reviewed this beer from a bottle and gave it a C+...on tap it was another story.

On tap this beer was absolutely delicious!!!
Makes me think that there is just a high chance of this beer getting "skunked" in the bottle.

Beautiful hop finish, and very drinkable.

2.89/5  rDev -19%

Clear yellow body with a small white head that leaves great lacing.

Smell is no good. Metallic.

Taste is a huge improvement on the smell. Although it retains the unwanted metallic characteristics, he does have some nice floral-like pilsner malts.

Thin, crisp mouthfeel.

Above Average drinkability if the smell doesn't put you off too much.

3.41/5  rDev -4.5%

Sampled from a keg, poured into large pilsener glass. (Results also obtained from 12 oz. bottle).

A: Average, pale yellow. Not very colorful. Average head despite coming from the tap (less head from bottle).

S: I don't care for the smell of this beer, which has always seemed skunky when it should be floral (and I've had it on several occasions, so it's not one bad batch).

T: This is a nice tasting pilsener. It's pleasantly grainy or bready. The bitter taste, which may also occasion the smell I don't like, is very good and hits several parts of the taste buds.

M: Good to sip or slosh around or chug. It's not overly sharp or bubbly.

D: A solidly drinkable beer; it's a nice compromise choice in that its taste shouldn't offend (nor overly impress) anyone. As other reviewers have noted, drink this cold or its skunkiness will be more pronounced.

I've enjoyed this beer on many occasions, but it's no longer a favorite due to its mild taste.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.