Pilsner Urquell - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell

good

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Medium dark gold color, medium white foamy head. Aroma is grassy and sweet. Hoppy and malty. Nice floral hop flavor, good balance, only slightly bitter. Mouthfeel is full and round. Taste is smooth and full bodied. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

beerguy101, Sep 14, 2003
4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

I know it ain't what it was, but it's still pretty damn fine.

This is the only lager I drink on a semi-regular basis and still my favorite standard lager. (I do prefer rauchbier, but that's scarcely standard lager.)

The rich, oily mouthfeel has faded a bit (no more pitched lined vats, more's the pity), but you still get that slightly skunky whack of Zatec.

As well, the canned version seems to have stood up to the changes better than the bottled. While the can has always been safer than those damned green glass bottles, these days it seems to retain more of the hop flavour than even unsedimented glass.

Seumas, Sep 12, 2003

Pours to a thick, frothy head that stays with the glass the whole way down. Very strong, distinct hop smell - almost earthy and grasslike in aroma. Excellent color and clarity, with good and consistent carbonation.

Strong, flowery aftertaste with a pleasent mouthfeel and good, strong bite. You'll either love this beer or hate it. I fall into the former camp on this one.

UncleAl, Sep 09, 2003
3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Got a can of this at an embassy reception on 9/8/03. I was very pleasantly surprised by the taste, so made some mental notes to review it. Pilsner Urquell is an old friend, but it is skunky more often than any other beer I've consumed repeatedly. This can was not skunked, and showed why this beer gave birth to one of the most popular beer styles in the world.

Beautiful clear golden straw color under a substantial firm white head that lingers long and leaves outstanding sheets of lace down the glass. The nose is flowery hops, a bit on the mild side, but very pleasant. The mouth is very prickly and quite light, almost watery. The taste is clean and crisp, with lots of flowery sweet and bitter hops tamed only by a smidgeon of malt. The finish is bitter, with a lingering aftertaste that makes your tastebuds scream "Thank you, sir! May I have another!"

Globetrotter, Sep 08, 2003
3.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Golden colored with a frothy finger of head and a clean, classic Pilsner smell. As the brew disappeared from the glass into my mouth, it left a nice lattice of lace on the sides of the glass. Urquell has a nice, light mouthfeel and a mellow, even flavor with a nice bitterness in the finish. This beer is uncomplex but good and refreshing.

RockyTopHeel, Sep 07, 2003
4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured a darker golden color, with a quick disappearing head. Aroma was moderarately hoppySoft but full and very satisfying first taste, with a crisp tingly mouthfeel. Pleasant lingering aftertaste, much bolder than its American counterparts. A definite step up from Miller and Bud and available everywhere.

grynder33, Sep 06, 2003
3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

From a 12 oz. bottle

Pours out sparkling gold with little head. Lots of carbonation. Looks great.

Smells of hops and not much else. No malt smell save a bit a fresh hay smell.

Bitter taste of hops. Dry. Hops overpower any malt taste completely. Light to medium body. Good taste but I like a bit of malt taste to my pilsner. Taste is nice but it all comes from the hops. Little aftertaste. A good pilsner but not as good as I remember it from a few years back.

ViveLaChouffe, Sep 05, 2003
3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Had this one at the local pub. Pours a golden, almost amber color. It has a moderate head that dies off quickly but leaves quite a bit of lacing on the glass. The color threw me off a bit because I was expecting the normal clear yellow for the pilsner. The aroma is malty and grainy. The flavor is a little spicy with the malts being the prevalent taste. There is a little bit of a wheat taste and also some fruits in the back, but not too strong. Finishes bitter. Pretty decent beer.

clvand0, Aug 28, 2003
3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

On tap poured into a pint glass. It pours a light golden color with one finger of head. There is lots of lacing left on the glass. The smell is fairly malty and a little grassy, not too strong. The taste starts malty, becomes a tad bit grassy, then has a nice bitter finish. The mouthfeel is just alright for a pilsener. The drinkability is nice at 4.4%. A nice drinkable pilsener.

SheepNutz, Aug 28, 2003
4.22/5  rDev +18.5%

This classic Czech pilsner beer, pours a nice, clear golden colour with a white fluffy head. The aromas first hint at a skunked bottle, but when I let it sit for a few minutes the real aromas of fresh, floral hops, and light background malts came through. The taste of this beer is classic. It is a lightly hopped pilsner that is very clean and easy to drink, especially on a hot summers day. The mouthfeel is thin, but that is to be expected within this style of beer. The drinkability is excellent!

F

francisweizen, Aug 27, 2003
3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a nice straw color with a nice wellretained head (looks great in a pilsner glass), high carbonation.Aroma in light and a little iron-like with some sofy bread notes.Some rather sharp hop notes in the finish of this beer it starts out a little malty sweet,a very crip and easy drinking beer.Real nice on tap as well.

oberon, Aug 26, 2003
3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

Well, I guess it's fair to say most of the good things they say about this beer are true. Not bad for a macro brewery piece of work, but not the Golden Elixir that some folks would have it be.

Looks good in the glass, bright gold in colour, quite clear and pours up a decent off-white head. Leaves early lace.

Smells hoppy and flowery. Quite bitter, of course, with a little touch of malt if you look for it. But hops is what it's all about.

TerryW, Aug 26, 2003

Pale yellow color, decent white head. Smells fresh. Some hops, grains, a little of that green beer skunk. Taste is clean, crisp, with definite hop notes and grain notes, not complex but noticeable. Some metal skunk flavors as well. Better than the average Macro, but not great. I'd like to try the original.

chaduvel, Aug 26, 2003
3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

Presentation: 12oz. green bottle with no "bottled on" or "best before" date; purchased as part of a ten beer sampler pack from the West LA Whole Foods on National and Barrington ($12.99).

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, golden orange; fine, 1", snow-white head; light to moderate lacing; not much head retention.

Aroma: Predominantly of grassy, floral hops; mild, grainy, malt undercurrent.

Taste: Gentle malt-sweetness upfront; moderate floral, grassy type hop-bitterness in the finish; faint notes of grain and rye throughout. Medium bodied; smooth, crisp mouthfeel.

Notes: Adequate to decent Bohemian pilsener and nothing more.

Mustard, Aug 21, 2003
2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

Served on tap at Heroe's Bar & Grill, La Verne, CA

Poured a nice clear golden color with a quickly-fading small white head. Noted a moderate amount of carbonation.

Smell had a mildly sweet grassiness to it but also a lurking sourness similar to old, wet grass. I'm not sure "skunky" applies here. Maybe it's brewed to be this way.

Taste started off with a malty sweetness that was quickly swept aside by a hops bitterness that lingered long after swallowing.

Feel: carbonation gave this beer a tingly, light, dry feel.

Overall, nothing about this beer impressed me very much. Odd smell and flavor made this a less-than-enjoyable experience. I won't be looking for this one again soon.

Boilermaker88, Aug 14, 2003
3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

An Pilsner that is clearly the standard bearer (as can be expected from a beer brewed in Pilzen, Czech Republic). I let a committed bud drinker sample this, and it made him excited about trying micro brews. Pilsner is not my favorite style, but I can recognize a classy brew when I taste one. The only negative is the lack of a distinct personality. Otherwise a thirst quenching, satsfying, and very welcome addition to my refridgerator. I can get this at $9.99 a 12-pack at a very fresh quality. If I drank a lot of beer, this is what I would buy every time.

rajendra82, Aug 14, 2003
2.58/5  rDev -27.5%

22oz. bottle.

I have to say I have had better pilsners. I was looking forward to this brew and I was pretty much disappointed.

It pours a nice golden sunset color. A small disipating head with decent lacing. Unfortunately the smell had a sour skunkiness to it. Moldy straw. Some hops come through but they are mild.

The flavor is a dry grassy flavor. There is a small hop bite. A bit of floral and even a flavor of rye. Over all I have to say the flavor is barely stronger than a poorly made American pilsner. I wonder if it tastes better on tap?

It is crisp and has a refreshing quality to the beer. A medium body. A very basic beer. I did not find this to be a great pilsner.

Rumrunner, Aug 08, 2003
3.03/5  rDev -14.9%

a mediocre brew, at best. pours a nice golden colour with decent carbonation and a nice looking head. thanks to the green bottle, there's a distinct skunkiness to the smell and the taste, which overpowers the maltiness and grain flavouring of the brew. it's quite a light tasting brew that just isn't anything extraordinary, which is true for the style as a whole. if you emjoy pilsners, i'm sure you'll enjoy this one, but to me, it's just another lackluster brew.

SixpointJMH, Aug 07, 2003
1.95/5  rDev -45.2%

Had heard a lot about this ledgendary pilsner so decided to pick up a six pack upon spying it at the local Albertsons.

The appearance was average, the pour resulted in little to no head. Upon opening the first bottle I knew I had thrown away $7 as the infamous "Pepe Le Pew" smell launched into my unfortunate nostrils. The reputation of this being a pilsner with some hop action led me to try this but unfortunately I could not get enjoy any of that as the skunkiness continued to overwhelm my senses. The mouthfeel was average and the overall drinkability was just not there. If I am ever to try this again it will be in the Czech Republic straight from the brewery-no middle men shall ruin my palate for this brew again!

arizcards, Jul 26, 2003
3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Re-review 9/5/04:

What the heck, it was on tap and I thought I'd try it again... It was better this time around. Pure gold to look at, low head and clean aroma. I appreciated the fine carbonation, and thought the grainyness was kept to a minimum. Smooth and easy to drink, contrary to what I wrote a little over a year ago, I would get this again.

old review:

Finally decided to review this.

Nice golden color, but no head or lace to speakof.

The very first beer I've ever had that exhibited a bubblegum flavor..I don't think it's usually identified with this style, but that's sure what I tasted.

Overwhelmingly sweet, with tight carbonation. The malty sweetness overpowers any real hop character. I don't really taste the hops, more of a concentrated carbonation.

Not awful. May set the standard, but nothing I need to try again anytime soon. pat

PatandDavid, Jul 19, 2003
1.45/5  rDev -59.3%

Brilliantly clear, dark golden with brass accents, forming a poofy white head with surprisingly decent retention and very nice lacing. Carbonation is moderately strong, forming some streamers. Aroma is skunky with notes of freshly cut hay, sweet grainy malts and floral hops. Mouthfeel is soft, although decidingly NOT smooth, with a medium body and an astringent, tannic finish. Taste begins with skunky thiols, followed by a rather intense dry bitterness which continues through, and surpasses the finish, leaving the mouth with a very dry, tacky, aftertaste. There is a touch of sweet malt and corn in the middle, obscured for the most part by the skunk. The finish has very strong notes of lemon rind. I've certainly had much better pilseners, and perhaps this is good when it's not skunked, but I've had this on many, many occasions and it's always been skunked. I've even had a friend from the Czech republic bring me a bottle back home and it was just as nasty as the stuff I get locally. The fact that the beer is in green bottles is a testament that the brewery just doesn't care about it's beer. Big black mark to you, Urquell.

Mitchster, Jul 19, 2003
4.8/5  rDev +34.8%

Took a tour of the main brewery in Pilsen, Czech Republic. Of course, I had few fresh pitchers. I've had fantastic bottles of this stuff, and I've had awesome glasses of kegged PU, and I've had old skunky, bad bottles from screwed up handling in local party stores. Crisp bitterness, mild hop aroma, wonderful malt .. this is a great beer by far. A more refreshing beer I've not had. If you ever get a chance to go to Czech.... try this BEER, it is great.. Cheers!

stoutman, Jul 14, 2003
3.4/5  rDev -4.5%

Hot on the heels of my Litovel review, we're into another pilsner, this time Pilsener Urquell. Good stuff for a hot Calgary evening.

It poured a brilliantly clear straw yellow, with a head that disappeared immediately. The carbonation is very minimal, just a single thread of bubbles, maybe ten in a row from top to bottom. The foam that remained left an interesting lacing.

I found a very mild aroma. Some sweetness and a bit of a grainy smell was present. There is a mildly dusty and spicy hop aroma in there as well.

The flavour starts out mild and grainy in the front, then a hoppy bitterness snaps into the middle, then disappears just as quickly as it came, with flashes of citrus right on the end. I imagine a tiny bit of a tannic nip in my cheeks.

Though the body was nice, it lacked sufficient carbonation.

As with the Litovel, I find myself looking for more depth and complexity. However, it is a refreshing beer.

Garin, Jul 10, 2003

Just got done running 5 miles and this is really hitting the spot...clean, crisp light golden color with the perfect one-inch head...definitely looks the part....nose is grassy, and grainy....some import like skunkiness...body is medium and firm for the style...taste is crisp, and clean...soft graininess and a spicy, hop finish (Saaz I would assume)...A solid, enjoyable Pilsner but not a beer to end all beers....A nice summer beer with character....

ZAP, Jul 06, 2003

12 oz green bottle, pours deep golden color with a nice white head that clings to the sides of the glass. Good fresh grassy hop aromas, nice clean grainy hoppy flavor, medium bodied with a crisp mouthfeel, finishes dry and clean, awesome pilsner, the way it should be.

maxpower, Jul 04, 2003
Pilsner Urquell from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.