Pilsner Urquell - Plzeňský Prazdroj

Plzeňský Prazdroj visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pilsner Urquell Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,375 | Hads: 3,394
3.18/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A solid pilsner, as it should be since it's from Plzen. The main downfall for me was the metallic aftertaste that lingered when I was done drinking it. That being said, pilsners aren't my favorite style so I am probably ranking lower due to that.

3.79/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

One of the best non-German lagers, now available in a brown bottle.

Served cool from 500ml bottle into Veltins pilsner mug.

L) Deep amber colour, clear, lots of small bubbles rising. Fluffy white head.

S) Creamy, sweet malt. The brown bottle definitely makes a difference.

T) Slightly bitter, light toffee malt. Bitterness lingers in the aftertaste more than I remember.

F) Refreshing, although the bitter aftertaste does detract from the refreshment.

O) Good lager, good price.

4.34/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Since changing there bottles and doing this express ship, things have improved. Flavor profile is much more pronounced. Get a lot of grains and hay type smells. Very nice malty taste. Very drinkable. The negative on this is the new bottle. Its 11.2 Fl. oz. compared to the 12 fl. oz. they use to sell. Feels like i"m being cheated. The brown bottle is nice. I went to the town of Zlin in the Czech Republic last year and had this and other beers in casks. There is no comparison. A totally different beer. The wow factor was going on due to how good this beer is on tap in the Czech Republic. The best pilsner I've had anywhere. So smooth going down. So drinkable. Very addicting. But I have to rate the shipped version. Again, much better with the new bottles and express ship. Such a low rating for a beer that deserves much more. If it were sold they way they serve it in the Czech Republic it would be 5's across the board . Hey! At least we get it.

Good brew!

4.35/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look - looks as good as a pilsner can I guess. Never seen a really impressive one, well from the bottle at least. Looks like it is low in carbonation. Could also retain its head a little better.

Smell - As of 2015ish Pilsner Urquell have seen the light and are now using brown bottles rather than green thus the beer seeing less light. The result of this is that I can't ever remember this beer smelling so good! Smells like it should, clean but sharp.

Taste - This really is the best tasting Pilsner I've had. Definitely my favourite in its style. There is just so much going on with this in comparison to the others and every time I try a new pilsner I follow it with Urquell and the others just seem boring. I love the sharp bite to this and hop profile.

Feel - the carbonation that is not evident in look makes a big appearance in the mouthfeel, exactly where it should be. Nice a wet how a pilsner should be.

Overall - I have read the bad reviews of this beer from a few years ago and I remember back then not liking this beer so much but the last two years there has been a big improvement that has been bolstered further recently with the new brown bottle. Try it again is all I can say.

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Very basic and straightforward. Not complex, but I don't mean that in a bad way in this case. This beer isn't trying to be complex.. It is what it is, which to me a good example, maybe even a "standard" for the style. Reminds me of something my grandfather in Greece would've drank. Active carbonation, hop presence in keeping with the style. Soft mouthfeel with a nice, lingering maltiness. Some skunkiness, especially in the aroma. Don't know if I would go out of my way to buy this again (I possibly would, if in the mood), but if it was offered, I would certainly not complain. This is another beer that I wish American macros tasted like.

Brown bottles! Crisp, light, decently flavorful for a 4.4% beer and it has that lingering slight pilsner bitterness at the end. This will be my go to beer for the summer of 2015.

1.81/5  rDev -50.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Severe DMS along with a metalic taste. The aroma is straight raw barley in an overpowering way. Tasted this blindly alongside heineken and corona and was shocked that this was the least favorite of the three.

4.66/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Gold, meringue of white head, webs of lacing. Perfect, rich Pils aroma. Taste is clean, spicy, fragrant. Mouthfeel is crisp. This is a near perfect beer. After so many Pils it is easy to see that this is an original, an archetype.

3.71/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A classic. Please try if you have never had a Czech beer, great introduction into a great beer making country. Nice golden color, beautiful aroma. I first had it 16 years ago, I would say it used to be a bit better then, not quite as sharp as before but still a winner. Used to have more of that punch to it in the flavor.

4.04/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Btilliant light gopld under a 2” dense white foam collar that hugs the side of the glass.
S: rich malt, spicy, floral, very slight diacetyl, clean, no fruity esters
T: Rich pilsner malt, light grains, some spice from the hops, some pepper, a faint touch of sweetenss but mostly dry.
F: Light medium body, medium carbonation
O: A significant percentage of these used to be skunky – now that it is available in cans, that problem is solved.

3.69/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

decent Pilsner. Not the best I've had but not the worst. Biscuit malt with a little grass aroma, and not much of the pilsner skunk that I expect from something in a green bottle.

4.77/5  rDev +31.4%

Euro style pilsners/ lagers are my favorite style for this reason. It's what a beer should be to me. Would have been perfect all around if I had reviewed a fresh bottle and if it had a head when poured but still without a doubt my favorite style.

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Been waiting a long time to try this one. I put it off because I knew it would always be around. But now is the time. Appearance is a wonderful, transparent shade of gold. Foamy white head that doesn't last too long but is film-forming. One of the strongest bread aromas I've encountered in a beer. It's a bit crackery and a bit like walnuts as well. Hops are only faintly detectable, as to be expected. First thing you notice on the taste is bread/grain, but it's not as strong as it is on the nose. This partially subsides (but lingers on) and is quickly put into its place by the hops. Ever so briefly its citrus, then its rind, completed with strong, herbal, mouth-puckering bitterness. Slightly thin, but moderately smooth with middling carbonation. Crisp and astringent, that characteristic Czech Pils feel is aided by its palate's respectable bitter kick.

Nothing memorable here at all. Just name the pilsner -- Saranac, Victory, whatever -- and its probably better. Wouldn't mind drinking it again, but, would never choose it over a different one.

I was surprised and a little disappointed by how low the abv was on this. I know a Czech and German Pilzner are technically different styles, but I like Bofferding quite a bit better.

3.69/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from an 11.2 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, the expiration date on bottle is 9-18-15.

APPEARANCE: pours a crystal clear, pale yellow with less than one-finger white head that dissipated quickly leaving a ring of small bubbles around the glass, highly carbonated, very little lacing on the glass.

SMELL: sweet malt, bread, a mild European skunk flavor.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet malt, bread and then a mild hop bite with a little skunky flavor going on.

PALATE: medium body with higher than average carbonation.

OVERALL: this is an enjoyable pilsener but honestly not the best I've had, there are several domestic pilsener beers I would buy before this one, Blue Paddle comes to mind, this beer is good but maybe overrated.

3.78/5  rDev +4.1%

330 ml bottle into lager glass, bottled on 2/16/2015. Pours fairly crystal clear golden yellow color with a 1 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings down the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of lemon, pear, apple, cracker, bread, herbal, floral, grass, pepper, and herbal/yeast earthiness. Nice aromas with well balanced pale malt and earthy hop notes; with good strength. A bit too fruity/estery in the aromas, but not too bad. Taste of lemon, cracker, bread, herbal, floral, grass, pepper, and herbal/yeast earthiness. Moderate amount of herbal/spicy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemon, cracker, bread, herbal, floral, grass, pepper, and herbal/yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice robustness and balance of pale malt and earthy hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Fairly clean on lager flavors with some slight yeast esters present in the taste. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, crisp, and slightly bready mouthfeel that is nice. Moderate dryness. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 4.4%. Overall this is a very good Czech pilsner style. All around good robustness and balance of pale malt and earthy hop flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. If it was cleaner with less fruity esters it definitely would have scored higher; but still a nicely enjoyable offering overall.

4.13/5  rDev +13.8%

Serving Type: 500 mL Can

A- Clear Straw Yellow and a 1 1/2 finger White head that fizzeles down quickly to a thin skim. Light Lacing. Typical for a well made Pils.

S- Bready and Grassy malts backed by a light hop presence.

T- The aroma transitions to the taste quite nicely. Biscuity, grassy notes, and a light but crisp dosage of hops.

M- Typical Mouthfeel. Light Body and crisp high carbonation. Incredibly refreshing.

O- If not the best, Pilsner Urquell is one of the best Pilsners I've ever had. A little more hop presence than most of the other Pilsner's I've had but it doesn't take anything away from the refreshing qualities. Top notch brew.

4.79/5  rDev +32%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have bought this beer off and on for several decades and always wondered why it has lasted so long. The beer always had an off smell and skunky taste.

I just bought my third half liter can and can tell you this beer is amazing. I guess the long trip in the bottles was not good for the beer. If you tried this one in the past and thought it tasted off, buy it in the can and pour it into a pilsner glass. The experience is amazing.

4.48/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer , ever since I first tasted it, in New York , of all places ;when I came home to Ireland and found it was available , i was overjoyed .I've since drunk it on draught in Prague,and it was even better. For me , it has a lovely combination of malt and hops, an ideal balance ,which brings me back to it time and again.

4.13/5  rDev +13.8%

12 oz. bottle from Trader Joe’s. The nose gives off a slight whiff of skunk that doesn’t come through in the taste. Pours a clear straw yellow with a white head that fizzles down to a thin cap. Tasty Pilsen malt sweetness transitions to Saaz hops bitterness. Good carbonation. Excellent balance. A crisp and refreshing pilsner. Love the low ABV.

3.7/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a light golden, brilliantly transparent color with a soapy, one finger that displays a bit of retention and leaves decent lacing. Of course I love the Euro packaging.

Smell - Smells of breads, a bit of subdued hops, and some grass. Very light in the nose.

Taste - Much like the nose, this is very subdued. I have noticed this is a pattern with European beers for the most part, they are much more subtle than their American counterparts. Biscuits, a bit of hops, some breads, and a touch of earthiness characterizes this beer.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, refreshing, delicious, goes down like water. Very good, especially in hot weather.

Overall - This is one of the first pilsners I have tasted that I actually liked. Maybe its because its the original, from Europe, who knows, but I think this beer is better than it is rated. I would absolutely recommend this brew to someone, and I will buy it again.

3.9/5  rDev +7.4%

Good on the brewery for finally putting this beer in cans and brown bottles. And the visible dates on the packaging is helpful as well. From what I know, it's 9 months after bottling/canning. This is a delicious, crisp Pilsner. I've been drinking a lot of this one during the summer. Hope to one day make it to the Czech Republic and have it fresh.

3.15/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A-pours a crystal clear yellow with a white head with average retention
S-grassy, sweet malt, hint of biscuit
T-a balance between malt sweetness with a grassy bitterness, leaves that same grassy flavor on the palate in the finish
M-light-medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation
O-easy drinking session beer. definitely have had better pilasters

3.81/5  rDev +5%

Pours a crystal clear, gold color with a big frothy head. Not too much hops in the aroma, its mostly biscuity malt. The flavor reflects the smell as well. Has a biscuity flavor, with earthy tones, and the hops are present, but not too noticeable. The mouth feel is very light, almost water like. Overall very crisp and refreshing.

Pilsner Urquell from Plzeňský Prazdroj