Gambrinus - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

GambrinusGambrinus

pDev: 15%
Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2002

to view more.
Ratings: 109 | Reviews: 48
Reviews by stoutman:
3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Clear dark golden colour with thick foamy white head. Malty nose. Aroma is sweet soft malts with fruits. Flavor is soft malt and hops. Dry long-lasting hoppy finish. Medium carbonation. A typical easy to drink Czech Pilsener and a very good one at that, but a few notches below Pilsner Urquell.

2.66/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Enormous head,lighter yellow colour, bit of lace in glass. Agressive carbonation. Some bitterness but otherwise low in taste and in body. Malted away. Drying finish. Satisfying lawnmower beverage. Nothing off just bland, and not fresh from brewery. Passable aroma. Thanks to Jan Biegaman.

3.11/5  rDev -8.5%

Brought a 330ml can home from recent trip to Europe. A big foamy head rose to the top of my class, the color was a clear copper. The smell was definate saaz hops. Clean, crisp taste. Slight sweetness gave way to a bitter after taste. Normal czech beer carbonation. As it tastes so natural you could drink a few of these. Nice czech pils, no suprises but thats not a bad thing.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Draft, St. Petersburg, Russia. A bit more substance after all the Russian lagers I’ve been swilling. Good fluffy head that leaves a little lace. Golden pilsener color. A bit of extra sweetness, but the European hop profile makes a valiant effort to balance it.Still, a great pilsner beer smell I could pick up from two feet away made a good first impression on me.

3.13/5  rDev -7.9%

A beautiful classic golden pilsner, marred by the patchy head that forms after the first minute or two. An enjoyable major brew here in Prague, but its taste tends to the annoying once tried--it seems empty, more drinkable than enjoyable. High carbonation and its smooth, light hops make for a distinguishable biting mouthfeel. The aftertaste is thick on the tongue but without bitter, leaving you wanting more but not exciting the palate. After a few moments, a certain sweetness to the aftertaste appears as well.

More complexity would add to it, but its drinkability and smooth bite let it be an excellent accompaniment to bread-based meals. Slightly above average, but unfortunately touted as spectacular.

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color; there is a finger high white head that slowly fades away leaving a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. No carbonation is visible in the form of rising bubbles.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of grassy hops on the nose along with some notes of caramel malts.
T: The taste is rather malty and initially has some hints of sweetness, although these quickly fade away and are replaced by a mild amount of bitterness from the hops.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and is rather smooth with a slight amount of crispness. A light amount of carbonation is perceptible.
D: The beer goes down rather smoothly and is quite sessionable. I could easily drink several of these in one sitting.

3.41/5  rDev +0.3%

Brown 0.5 litre bottle, best before 18th Aug 2009, drank on my first ever night in Prague (18th Mar 2009).

Just flown in and found the hotel, wife is ill with a snotty nose and a cough to die for, I'm obviously 'up for it' and wanting to hit the bars and night-life. Compromise required, one bar and a night shop was the best I could negotiate.

Great bar, but snotty nose wasn't having any of it, we had to leave after my third beer or the whole trip would have been put in jeopardy.

The 'Night-Shop' had a crap selection of beers, catering for low-life and tourists with no beer knowledge or taste.

I choose this beer (and a couple more) to ease my pain of an early night.

Sat on my hotel bed, with a wheezing wife ruining the nights silence, I poured the beer into a small tumbler which should have held my toothbrush (five times).

The beer looked good, each little dribble into the tumbler produced a deep golden yellow coloured beer, with a well formed white head. As with almost all lager/pilsners the body was clean, clear and bright. My night was getting better,

The aroma must have been lost in the pouring because I found nothing to write about. The beer gets my standard 3 for odourless pils/lagers.

I found the taste and flavours to be grainy for a pilsner, crisp and tangy. Better than most in this style of beer anyway.

It also had a body and depth unlike so many lager/pilsner beers, nothing huge or really interesting, just heavier than most.

I would obviously prefered to have stayed out, but at least I've reviewed a beer while in Prague, even if it is from notes made while in a hotel room listening to the wife snore and wheeeze.

3.87/5  rDev +13.8%

Everyone I asked in Karlovy Vary told me that this beer is the favorite among the locals. Less ubiquitous than it's big brother Urquell, Gambrinus is not too hard to find in western Czech Republic. I brought home a sample in a Czech standard half-liter brown bottle with a gold and white label and gold foil around the neck. The label features a mug, a couple awards, and the lettering. Sugar is an ingredient. Best before 1/3/05, I opened it on 8/14/04. This, by the way, is the "Premium" product. There is also a pale and a light.

Pours a darkish clear gold under a firm two finger white head that fades fairly quickly to thick patchy film and leaves some spots of lace. Sweet grainy malt nose with a twinge of metal-fruit hops. Very highly carbonated and fairly light in the mouth. Open features a good strong malt backbone, slightly sweet and a bit bready. On top of this superstructure the crisp hoppiness quickly establishes itself, building in intensity until the smooth bitter finish. The bite lingers well into the aftertaste. Yup, it's good.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

A dark golden beer with a thin head.

Smell is malty with typical bottom fermented character. Some mild hoppiness.

Taste is malty with decoction caramel and Maillard products in the taste. The yeast adds a light fruity taste. Strangely enough I pick up hints of custard pudding. Bitterness is medium and drinkability is good.

3.37/5  rDev -0.9%

The closest thing to a macro brew in the Czech republic, Gambrinus is served in nearly every restaurant where Pilsner Urquell is. It's generally cheaper than PU.

Is often served in some really interesting Gambrinus Glassware. Beer is served with a billowy head and a color similar to a pilsner, but with more orange. As others have put it, head dissolves into a splotchy mess soon after it goes down.

Smell is mostly malty. Not much hops to speak of.

The flavor to me is like a good american macro. Mostly malty with some adjuncts present. Hops are there merely to balance the beer and add little complexity. Aftertaste is negligable.

Feels watery in my mouth. Goes down fairly smooth though because of it. Some more carbonation could liven this beer substantially.

Exceptionally easy to drink. Great with a meal, and is the beer of choice at student parties where everyone is cheap.

Decent with a meal, But I wouldn't drink it if I had other beers around.

3.11/5  rDev -8.5%

This beer is clear golden, a white head leaving some lacing.

The smell is mostly malty, grains, grass, rather weak.

The taste is upfront sweet, bread and biscuit, a slight fruity sourness, ripe apples, finishing of with some warm bitterness.

Medium high carbonation, rather smooth, a bit oily with a dry finish.

A rather neutral and clean lager. Does not intrude the palate or food. Decent.

Awesome beer

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

You have to be 18 (US citizen: 21) to visit Gambrinus' website. Couldn't find anything harmful there, though. I have a soft spot for thirst quenching Czechs which probably makes me overrate this beer a little. It pours with a finger of foam and has a nice, golden color. There is a strong bread aroma (which I also like), some hops and a little sourness. The taste is dry, malty and bready with some saltiness. In my opinion it's better than average but not in the premier league.

4.28/5  rDev +25.9%

My sister brought me a bottle back from her trip to the Czech Republic. This is an excellent Pilsner. The color was clear and a kind of a bronze, rather unusual, with a nice big white head that hung in there. Minimal lacing. There was some aroma (a lot for a Pilsner). The taste was great. Hops bite up front and a solid balanced taste. Mouthfeel was good for a Pilsner, not too thin and no unpleasant aftertaste. Drinkability is great. This is what macro lagers should aspire to...a good tasting, fairly light beer that can serve anywhere from lawnmower beer up to your regular session beer.

This is what you should hand a Bud drinker to show him there is a better way!!!

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

drank a ton of this in prague. had a blast. this beer is a lot more drinkable than budweiser (budvar). it is a really a great beer. you can drink twelve of these at a bar and not mind a bit. a must have. it is a simple pilsner, but with a few twists that make it what it is. not hoppy, no frills, just good beer. brought me back to pilsners.

Had this on numerous occasions while in Praha, along with Pilsner Urquell, and i couldnt tell them apart, both average.

50cl servings in standard gambrinus glass.

A- Golden in colour, soapy rocky 2 finger head that disappates quickly to a crown. lacing is minimal to average.

S- Um, how to put it, doesnt smell fresh i guess. I bit skunked but not totally, lots of saaz hops, and some bready malts, but not that lovely fresh bread smell.

T- Lots of hops bitterness, but expected it to be drier and crisper in the finish, it seems to try, then gives up to a watery finish.

M- seems a bit soaper than urquell, but low carbonation and lifeless still.

D- Did a taste test with this an Urquell in a Praha pub, and couldnt tell them apart. Just not a fan of any Bohemian lagers i have found, but the dark stuff is a different story.

2.1/5  rDev -38.2%

A - light gold and yellow
S - a little bit hops and some strange factor
T - very watery, little bit hoppy with sweet end.. nothing interesting
M - high carbonation, low body
D - pretty drinkable, however, with its watery taste, not interested in this one.. moreover it is HGB

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Golden, honey-colored; medium head; fairly long lasting; good lacing

Aroma: Not a lot of aroma; slightly grassy, biscuity and light hops

Taste: Juicy malt on start; quickly turning to slight bitterness; slightly dry, slightly bitter finish; not bad at all; pretty well balanced; good for a Pils, which is not my favorite style

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%

The colour is deep yellow; the finger thick white foam forms a slowly sinking compact head.

The medium strong smell got notes of some bitter hops and white bread.

The taste is very refreshing with notes of white loaf, some mild salty malts, and bitter hops with some honey. The medium lasting aftertaste is clean and bitter.

The carbonation is very strong, it is almost sharp.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this review in my pocket from my month long stay in Prague. I wanted to review it earlier but couldn't remember how to spell it.
Anyway, this is a typical Czech brew. It's light in color, with a nice head (i had it on tap as well). A bit darker than Budweiser and Urquell. Taste was a bit less sweeter than those other two. Had some crispness to it. This was one of the better beers I had over there, and since I'm not a pilsner kind of guy, I drank this one a lot.

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

Half litre bottle. Poured into HB flute. Big foamy head from half the bottle but it went fast. Bronze, copper colour. Nutty smell, definate saaz hops in there as well. Clean, crisp taste. Some mushroom and parmesan cheese. Slight sweetness gave way to a bitter after taste. Normal czech beer carbonation. As it tastes so natural you could drink a few of these. Nice czech pils, no suprises but thats not a bad thing.

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

A- Darker yellow-gold, clear with visible carbonation and a small head of about one finger.

S- Hops, herbal, slightly medicinal and some sweet notes.

T- Grainy, yeasty and sweet finishes with slightly bitter hops.

M- A lot of carbonation light-medium light mouth-feel.

D- over all I like this beer and I feel that it is pretty drinkable, goes down nice and easy.

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

I decided I would make this my first beer review, since it looks like there is a paucity of them, probably due to the fact that this one is unavailable here in the U.S.

I drank quite a few of these when I visited Prague several years back. It was during my macroswill days, and I'd have to say that this one played a definite part in leading me toward an appreciation of, and search for good beers.

Since it was so long ago it's tough to remember much detail about the taste etc., but I do remember enough to give it a high rating on the drinkability scale, and also to say with a fair level of confidence that it's a good pilsener (not excellent, but definitely good). As stated in one of the other reviews, this one is widely consumed in the Czech Republic (I'm judging based solely on what I saw in Prague - on tap a the vast majority of pubs & restaraunts that I went to, and also available in cans if I remember right). Not as good as Urquell or Budvar, but still a good beer.

I spent a good deal of time searching for this one when I came back to the states and was extremely disappointed to discover that I couldn't get it here. I'd love to drink another one of these, I'd even choose it over a better beer just to sample it again. Guess I'll have to go back to Prague.

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Gambrinus.

A = Poured a golden colour with a thin foam head.

S = There seemed to big malty smell roaming off this sucker. There was a slight hop characteristic but it was mainly malt seeping through.

T = Malt. Big malt flavour this beer has. All I could taste is Malt. There is a cookie flavour to this beer. Malt, Malt and Malt.

M = Little carbonation. Makes it easy to drink. Although I would have liked a little more carbonation.

D = Drinkable. But a little too malty for my liking.

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

Ah the halcyon days of Gambrinus are long gone. Gone is the refreshingly crisp taste, gone is the buzz whenever passing a Gambrinus bar, gone is the soul of this once excellent beer. I have been living in the Czech Republic for nigh on ten years and once upon a time a Gambac would come with a great frothy head that clung to your nose, and further beers would be on the way before the first was finished. The last Gambrinus I had though was weak, watery and hardly worth the effort. Such are sad stories written.

to view more.
Gambrinus from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.