1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Gambrinus - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

GambrinusGambrinus

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2002)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 80 | Reviews: 44 | Show All Ratings:
jjanega08

4.7/5  rDev +39.5%

Given to me from a friend after her brother came back form The Czech Republic.
A= Opened without much hiss but still looks like its got great carbonation. A smaller head but it's very very thick and bubbles rise are rising from the bottom to constantly replenish it. It's a golden yellow color. Looks great
S= Interesting enough it does have an odor. Not expected from the style. Lots of adjunct smell comes through and seems to be the perfect balance of bitter and sweet in the odor.
T= Interesting. It actually does have quite the flavor. It's all adjunct flavor but its flavor. There's a quite noticeable butteriness to it and a small hop bite at the end. Tastes very grainy to me but I definitely love it.
M= High carbonation. Somewhat light.
D= Very High. I like this beer a lot. Maybe because I'm czech by heritage but I actually really enjoyed the taste. Very nice.

Serving type: can

03-25-2009 23:34:10 | More by jjanega08
JayQue

4.33/5  rDev +28.5%

My sister brought me a bottle back from her trip to the Czech Republic. This is an excellent Pilsner. The color was clear and a kind of a bronze, rather unusual, with a nice big white head that hung in there. Minimal lacing. There was some aroma (a lot for a Pilsner). The taste was great. Hops bite up front and a solid balanced taste. Mouthfeel was good for a Pilsner, not too thin and no unpleasant aftertaste. Drinkability is great. This is what macro lagers should aspire to...a good tasting, fairly light beer that can serve anywhere from lawnmower beer up to your regular session beer.

This is what you should hand a Bud drinker to show him there is a better way!!!

11-05-2006 22:13:11 | More by JayQue
rdarr40

4.33/5  rDev +28.5%

This is the best Czech beer that I have tried while in Czech Republic. There are actually several versions available in the stores such as Regular, Premium and Excellent. I am not sure what kind is typically on tap but it has the Czech Pilsner taste without the skunkyness like Pilner Urquell.

05-10-2009 00:42:20 | More by rdarr40
Mitchster

4.18/5  rDev +24%

This was a gift from Jeni, who brought it back from the Czech Republic. Pours out to a sparkingly clear dark golden, forming a large soapy white head with very good retention and average lacing. Carbonation is moderately brisk. The aroma is punctuated by typical Euro-Lager grassiness with plenty of Saaz hops and pale malts heftier than the typical Euro-Lager bill. Mouthfeel is biting, wet and very crisp. Very nice mouthfeel for the style. Medium bodied. Taste begins with mildly spicy floral hops, followed by delicate pale malts, a hint of caramel, and a slowly growing ebb of floral bitterness. The bitterness is accentuated by a brisk mineral mouthfeel which becomes distinct in the finish. The finish is clean, lightly dry and makes you want to drink more. No off-flavors.

This is a very good, well-made Euro-Pils and is very refreshing. I was surprised by this one. I would gladly drink it again.

Serving type: can

04-16-2005 22:10:32 | More by Mitchster
friendofthedevil

3.98/5  rDev +18.1%

Like others have commented, a popular beer in the Czech Republic due to good taste and ease of drinking. I'm sure that it helps that it's also significantly cheaper than Pilsner Urquell both in the bottle and on tap. Worth a try but not necessarily worth making a huge effort to seek out. If you come to the Czech Republic, you'll probably drink it.

01-07-2007 09:11:32 | More by friendofthedevil
stjaernstoft

Sweden

3.98/5  rDev +18.1%

Gambrinus, ABV: 5.0%.
500 ml bottle, 15.90 SEK at Systembolaget.

I had this beer once about a year ago. At the time I loved Czech Pilseners and I thought this was one of the best I've ever had. Let's see if it's as good as I remember!

A: It pours golden (with hints of copper), with a thick, white, foamy head. Lovely.

S: The aroma is malty with notes of butterscotch, bread and citrus. It doesn't smell like hay and brewery in the same way as an Urquell, but my feeling is definitely Czech.

T: Soft, very balanced, tastes of toffee and bread. Medium bitterness (and a body to match), nothing is extreme here, just pleasant. A very elegant, and robust lager.

M: Real smooth. Filling, yet it's very drinkable, and a somewhat dry finish.

O: I sure have widened my beer taste over the year, but a great Czech Pils is never wrong. This is still one of my favourites - it doesn't get much better for this kind of money. I'll drink this on its own, or with meats, sausages, or a sturdy sandwich.

07-08-2011 14:58:15 | More by stjaernstoft
Globetrotter

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Everyone I asked in Karlovy Vary told me that this beer is the favorite among the locals. Less ubiquitous than it's big brother Urquell, Gambrinus is not too hard to find in western Czech Republic. I brought home a sample in a Czech standard half-liter brown bottle with a gold and white label and gold foil around the neck. The label features a mug, a couple awards, and the lettering. Sugar is an ingredient. Best before 1/3/05, I opened it on 8/14/04. This, by the way, is the "Premium" product. There is also a pale and a light.

Pours a darkish clear gold under a firm two finger white head that fades fairly quickly to thick patchy film and leaves some spots of lace. Sweet grainy malt nose with a twinge of metal-fruit hops. Very highly carbonated and fairly light in the mouth. Open features a good strong malt backbone, slightly sweet and a bit bready. On top of this superstructure the crisp hoppiness quickly establishes itself, building in intensity until the smooth bitter finish. The bite lingers well into the aftertaste. Yup, it's good.

08-14-2004 19:02:05 | More by Globetrotter
willgro

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

drank a ton of this in prague. had a blast. this beer is a lot more drinkable than budweiser (budvar). it is a really a great beer. you can drink twelve of these at a bar and not mind a bit. a must have. it is a simple pilsner, but with a few twists that make it what it is. not hoppy, no frills, just good beer. brought me back to pilsners.

03-22-2006 16:18:34 | More by willgro
metter98

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color; there is a finger high white head that slowly fades away leaving a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. No carbonation is visible in the form of rising bubbles.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of grassy hops on the nose along with some notes of caramel malts.
T: The taste is rather malty and initially has some hints of sweetness, although these quickly fade away and are replaced by a mild amount of bitterness from the hops.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and is rather smooth with a slight amount of crispness. A light amount of carbonation is perceptible.
D: The beer goes down rather smoothly and is quite sessionable. I could easily drink several of these in one sitting.

10-23-2010 12:31:55 | More by metter98
jonb5

United Kingdom (England)

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Half litre bottle. Poured into HB flute. Big foamy head from half the bottle but it went fast. Bronze, copper colour. Nutty smell, definate saaz hops in there as well. Clean, crisp taste. Some mushroom and parmesan cheese. Slight sweetness gave way to a bitter after taste. Normal czech beer carbonation. As it tastes so natural you could drink a few of these. Nice czech pils, no suprises but thats not a bad thing.

02-25-2011 14:59:30 | More by jonb5
CampusCrew

3.73/5  rDev +10.7%

I loved in Czech for 6 months and I would have to say this was one of my favorites. Great example of a fine Pilsner. It's mush lighter than the other Czech beers and Aerican seem to shose this over others. I can not find it anywhere in the US. I'm sure if it was here it would sell very well. Althogh I do like it, there are better czech selections there.

10-13-2008 18:39:52 | More by CampusCrew
Faune

3.73/5  rDev +10.7%

A- Darker yellow-gold, clear with visible carbonation and a small head of about one finger.

S- Hops, herbal, slightly medicinal and some sweet notes.

T- Grainy, yeasty and sweet finishes with slightly bitter hops.

M- A lot of carbonation light-medium light mouth-feel.

D- over all I like this beer and I feel that it is pretty drinkable, goes down nice and easy.

12-09-2010 20:41:19 | More by Faune
Mebuzzard

Colorado

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this review in my pocket from my month long stay in Prague. I wanted to review it earlier but couldn't remember how to spell it.
Anyway, this is a typical Czech brew. It's light in color, with a nice head (i had it on tap as well). A bit darker than Budweiser and Urquell. Taste was a bit less sweeter than those other two. Had some crispness to it. This was one of the better beers I had over there, and since I'm not a pilsner kind of guy, I drank this one a lot.

01-29-2007 01:13:25 | More by Mebuzzard
mmahut

Czech Republic

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Sky clear yellow colour with massive head.

S: Pils smell, full of hops, small tones of malts. You might find some apple and citruses.

T: The way a good pils should taste. Hoppy with alcohol bitterness on the tongue.

M: Light body with no carbonation.

D: Good beer with lower reputation than it deserves in Czech Republic. Definitely one of my favourites pilsners. Good for hot summer time.

06-21-2010 18:58:29 | More by mmahut
JanM

Sweden

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

You have to be 18 (US citizen: 21) to visit Gambrinus' website. Couldn't find anything harmful there, though. I have a soft spot for thirst quenching Czechs which probably makes me overrate this beer a little. It pours with a finger of foam and has a nice, golden color. There is a strong bread aroma (which I also like), some hops and a little sourness. The taste is dry, malty and bready with some saltiness. In my opinion it's better than average but not in the premier league.

11-29-2005 20:49:35 | More by JanM
jspruit

Denmark

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer poured and smelled great, even after making the trip back from Prague-where I bought the 500mL bottle for less than $1.
Not as full of flavor as some of the other Czech beers that I tasted when I was there-but this beer still tastes great, like I would expect of a typical Czech pilsner.
This beer goes down easy enough and full of taste for a long session.

03-08-2007 20:43:05 | More by jspruit
Darren43

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

I decided I would make this my first beer review, since it looks like there is a paucity of them, probably due to the fact that this one is unavailable here in the U.S.

I drank quite a few of these when I visited Prague several years back. It was during my macroswill days, and I'd have to say that this one played a definite part in leading me toward an appreciation of, and search for good beers.

Since it was so long ago it's tough to remember much detail about the taste etc., but I do remember enough to give it a high rating on the drinkability scale, and also to say with a fair level of confidence that it's a good pilsener (not excellent, but definitely good). As stated in one of the other reviews, this one is widely consumed in the Czech Republic (I'm judging based solely on what I saw in Prague - on tap a the vast majority of pubs & restaraunts that I went to, and also available in cans if I remember right). Not as good as Urquell or Budvar, but still a good beer.

I spent a good deal of time searching for this one when I came back to the states and was extremely disappointed to discover that I couldn't get it here. I'd love to drink another one of these, I'd even choose it over a better beer just to sample it again. Guess I'll have to go back to Prague.

07-30-2003 21:28:33 | More by Darren43
moonman00

Mexico

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

This is a nice pilsener that i frequently tasted on my trip to Prague.

Tipical Czech pilsener, with a dark gold color and fair head.

It is very refreshing with mild hops ad spices as you drink it, and if you are thirsty this beer will fill up your needs.

You can get it in 500 ml can, along with your hot dog for a happy meal.

04-19-2007 17:47:02 | More by moonman00
thierrynantes

France

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Beer bottle (50cl), tasted in 2000.

Appearance: golden yellow color, well saturated, with white foam head.
Smell: hops aromas.
Taste and mouthfeel: malt flavour well balanced, good bitterness.
Drinkability: a refreshing beer in the Czech pilsener style.

Review translated from french 4-15-2008.

10-31-2007 21:43:12 | More by thierrynantes
stoutman

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Clear dark golden colour with thick foamy white head. Malty nose. Aroma is sweet soft malts with fruits. Flavor is soft malt and hops. Dry long-lasting hoppy finish. Medium carbonation. A typical easy to drink Czech Pilsener and a very good one at that, but a few notches below Pilsner Urquell.

02-20-2011 01:00:33 | More by stoutman
IchLiebeBier

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance: Golden, honey-colored; medium head; fairly long lasting; good lacing

Aroma: Not a lot of aroma; slightly grassy, biscuity and light hops

Taste: Juicy malt on start; quickly turning to slight bitterness; slightly dry, slightly bitter finish; not bad at all; pretty well balanced; good for a Pils, which is not my favorite style

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

06-15-2013 13:25:53 | More by IchLiebeBier
Absumaster

Netherlands

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

A dark golden beer with a thin head.

Smell is malty with typical bottom fermented character. Some mild hoppiness.

Taste is malty with decoction caramel and Maillard products in the taste. The yeast adds a light fruity taste. Strangely enough I pick up hints of custard pudding. Bitterness is medium and drinkability is good.

06-06-2008 18:56:46 | More by Absumaster
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Brown 0.5 litre bottle, best before 18th Aug 2009, drank on my first ever night in Prague (18th Mar 2009).

Just flown in and found the hotel, wife is ill with a snotty nose and a cough to die for, I'm obviously 'up for it' and wanting to hit the bars and night-life. Compromise required, one bar and a night shop was the best I could negotiate.

Great bar, but snotty nose wasn't having any of it, we had to leave after my third beer or the whole trip would have been put in jeopardy.

The 'Night-Shop' had a crap selection of beers, catering for low-life and tourists with no beer knowledge or taste.

I choose this beer (and a couple more) to ease my pain of an early night.

Sat on my hotel bed, with a wheezing wife ruining the nights silence, I poured the beer into a small tumbler which should have held my toothbrush (five times).

The beer looked good, each little dribble into the tumbler produced a deep golden yellow coloured beer, with a well formed white head. As with almost all lager/pilsners the body was clean, clear and bright. My night was getting better,

The aroma must have been lost in the pouring because I found nothing to write about. The beer gets my standard 3 for odourless pils/lagers.

I found the taste and flavours to be grainy for a pilsner, crisp and tangy. Better than most in this style of beer anyway.

It also had a body and depth unlike so many lager/pilsner beers, nothing huge or really interesting, just heavier than most.

I would obviously prefered to have stayed out, but at least I've reviewed a beer while in Prague, even if it is from notes made while in a hotel room listening to the wife snore and wheeeze.

03-26-2009 22:28:36 | More by BlackHaddock
RocketWidget

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

I'm drinking this brew all the time in Prague, this major brew I prefer immensely to Pilsner Urquell. Came in a soccer ball themed can. Pours with good head, but dissolves quickly over time. Beer itself is a quite spectacular golden. Taste is a typical pilsner - smooth, but not much flavor except for slight hoppyness with the carbonation, and very little aftertaste. A good standard pilsner.

10-23-2003 23:16:00 | More by RocketWidget
Charthepirate

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

The closest thing to a macro brew in the Czech republic, Gambrinus is served in nearly every restaurant where Pilsner Urquell is. It's generally cheaper than PU.

Is often served in some really interesting Gambrinus Glassware. Beer is served with a billowy head and a color similar to a pilsner, but with more orange. As others have put it, head dissolves into a splotchy mess soon after it goes down.

Smell is mostly malty. Not much hops to speak of.

The flavor to me is like a good american macro. Mostly malty with some adjuncts present. Hops are there merely to balance the beer and add little complexity. Aftertaste is negligable.

Feels watery in my mouth. Goes down fairly smooth though because of it. Some more carbonation could liven this beer substantially.

Exceptionally easy to drink. Great with a meal, and is the beer of choice at student parties where everyone is cheap.

Decent with a meal, But I wouldn't drink it if I had other beers around.

11-19-2003 00:53:56 | More by Charthepirate
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Gambrinus from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.