Gambrinus - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

GambrinusGambrinus

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2002)
jspruit

Denmark

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer poured and smelled great, even after making the trip back from Prague-where I bought the 500mL bottle for less than $1.
Not as full of flavor as some of the other Czech beers that I tasted when I was there-but this beer still tastes great, like I would expect of a typical Czech pilsner.
This beer goes down easy enough and full of taste for a long session.

03-08-2007 20:43:05 | More by jspruit
dcmchew

Romania

3.61/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours clear shiny golden, one finger white head that's full of bubbles, but doesn't just pop off quickly.
Not much in the smell, some malts (bit too sweet, bit grainy) and some traditional Czech hops, a bit spicy.
Sweet malts, but never too much, with a biscuity note, grains and a very low corn feel. Some cooked butter, faint caramel, a touch of golden fruit, and then the expected (bit spicy) hops follow till the mlidly bitter finish. Some sweetness keeps coating the mouth, but nicely balanced with the hops and grains.
Light bodied, a bit buttery, medium carbonation.
Doesn't impress in any way, but has a certain balance that makes you want more. A maltier option to Pilsner Urquell from the same brewery.

06-26-2014 17:37:48 | More by dcmchew
Darren43

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

I decided I would make this my first beer review, since it looks like there is a paucity of them, probably due to the fact that this one is unavailable here in the U.S.

I drank quite a few of these when I visited Prague several years back. It was during my macroswill days, and I'd have to say that this one played a definite part in leading me toward an appreciation of, and search for good beers.

Since it was so long ago it's tough to remember much detail about the taste etc., but I do remember enough to give it a high rating on the drinkability scale, and also to say with a fair level of confidence that it's a good pilsener (not excellent, but definitely good). As stated in one of the other reviews, this one is widely consumed in the Czech Republic (I'm judging based solely on what I saw in Prague - on tap a the vast majority of pubs & restaraunts that I went to, and also available in cans if I remember right). Not as good as Urquell or Budvar, but still a good beer.

I spent a good deal of time searching for this one when I came back to the states and was extremely disappointed to discover that I couldn't get it here. I'd love to drink another one of these, I'd even choose it over a better beer just to sample it again. Guess I'll have to go back to Prague.

07-30-2003 21:28:33 | More by Darren43
moonman00

Mexico

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

This is a nice pilsener that i frequently tasted on my trip to Prague.

Tipical Czech pilsener, with a dark gold color and fair head.

It is very refreshing with mild hops ad spices as you drink it, and if you are thirsty this beer will fill up your needs.

You can get it in 500 ml can, along with your hot dog for a happy meal.

04-19-2007 17:47:02 | More by moonman00

GabooL457

10-07-2012 12:16:41 | More by GabooL457
IchLiebeBier

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Golden, honey-colored; medium head; fairly long lasting; good lacing

Aroma: Not a lot of aroma; slightly grassy, biscuity and light hops

Taste: Juicy malt on start; quickly turning to slight bitterness; slightly dry, slightly bitter finish; not bad at all; pretty well balanced; good for a Pils, which is not my favorite style

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

06-15-2013 13:25:53 | More by IchLiebeBier
volga

07-14-2012 17:56:20 | More by volga
stoutman

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Clear dark golden colour with thick foamy white head. Malty nose. Aroma is sweet soft malts with fruits. Flavor is soft malt and hops. Dry long-lasting hoppy finish. Medium carbonation. A typical easy to drink Czech Pilsener and a very good one at that, but a few notches below Pilsner Urquell.

02-20-2011 01:00:33 | More by stoutman

05-21-2014 05:06:57 | More by Bralis
thierrynantes

France

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Beer bottle (50cl), tasted in 2000.

Appearance: golden yellow color, well saturated, with white foam head.
Smell: hops aromas.
Taste and mouthfeel: malt flavour well balanced, good bitterness.
Drinkability: a refreshing beer in the Czech pilsener style.

Review translated from french 4-15-2008.

10-31-2007 21:43:12 | More by thierrynantes

07-11-2013 22:12:53 | More by WOLFGANG
Absumaster

Netherlands

3.48/5  rDev +2.7%

A dark golden beer with a thin head.

Smell is malty with typical bottom fermented character. Some mild hoppiness.

Taste is malty with decoction caramel and Maillard products in the taste. The yeast adds a light fruity taste. Strangely enough I pick up hints of custard pudding. Bitterness is medium and drinkability is good.

06-06-2008 18:56:46 | More by Absumaster
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.48/5  rDev +2.7%

500ml Bottle from a Prague supermarket (39Czk):
Clear, dark golden with a 0.5cm, foamy white lacing on top that remains fairly constant.

Sweet & earthy malts with some light, grassy hops & citrus. There is some biscuit and faint caramel along with some spice & bitter hops.

Malty with a sweetness & an earthy flavour initially. There is some spice & bitterness from the hops & a little grain as well. The beer doesn't overpower & faint butter.

Smooth with a light medium body & good carbonation that gives the beer a lively feel. Crisp and clean taste with a wet, moderately bitter finish.

A decent Czech pilsener although certainly not the best the country has to offer. It was enjoyable without proving anything too special, coming through with a mellow and well-balanced taste that made it quite an easy beer to drink.

04-30-2014 11:05:34 | More by flyingpig
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.43/5  rDev +1.2%

Brown 0.5 litre bottle, best before 18th Aug 2009, drank on my first ever night in Prague (18th Mar 2009).

Just flown in and found the hotel, wife is ill with a snotty nose and a cough to die for, I'm obviously 'up for it' and wanting to hit the bars and night-life. Compromise required, one bar and a night shop was the best I could negotiate.

Great bar, but snotty nose wasn't having any of it, we had to leave after my third beer or the whole trip would have been put in jeopardy.

The 'Night-Shop' had a crap selection of beers, catering for low-life and tourists with no beer knowledge or taste.

I choose this beer (and a couple more) to ease my pain of an early night.

Sat on my hotel bed, with a wheezing wife ruining the nights silence, I poured the beer into a small tumbler which should have held my toothbrush (five times).

The beer looked good, each little dribble into the tumbler produced a deep golden yellow coloured beer, with a well formed white head. As with almost all lager/pilsners the body was clean, clear and bright. My night was getting better,

The aroma must have been lost in the pouring because I found nothing to write about. The beer gets my standard 3 for odourless pils/lagers.

I found the taste and flavours to be grainy for a pilsner, crisp and tangy. Better than most in this style of beer anyway.

It also had a body and depth unlike so many lager/pilsner beers, nothing huge or really interesting, just heavier than most.

I would obviously prefered to have stayed out, but at least I've reviewed a beer while in Prague, even if it is from notes made while in a hotel room listening to the wife snore and wheeeze.

03-26-2009 22:28:36 | More by BlackHaddock
Charthepirate

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%

The closest thing to a macro brew in the Czech republic, Gambrinus is served in nearly every restaurant where Pilsner Urquell is. It's generally cheaper than PU.

Is often served in some really interesting Gambrinus Glassware. Beer is served with a billowy head and a color similar to a pilsner, but with more orange. As others have put it, head dissolves into a splotchy mess soon after it goes down.

Smell is mostly malty. Not much hops to speak of.

The flavor to me is like a good american macro. Mostly malty with some adjuncts present. Hops are there merely to balance the beer and add little complexity. Aftertaste is negligable.

Feels watery in my mouth. Goes down fairly smooth though because of it. Some more carbonation could liven this beer substantially.

Exceptionally easy to drink. Great with a meal, and is the beer of choice at student parties where everyone is cheap.

Decent with a meal, But I wouldn't drink it if I had other beers around.

11-19-2003 00:53:56 | More by Charthepirate
RocketWidget

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%

I'm drinking this brew all the time in Prague, this major brew I prefer immensely to Pilsner Urquell. Came in a soccer ball themed can. Pours with good head, but dissolves quickly over time. Beer itself is a quite spectacular golden. Taste is a typical pilsner - smooth, but not much flavor except for slight hoppyness with the carbonation, and very little aftertaste. A good standard pilsner.

10-23-2003 23:16:00 | More by RocketWidget
wahhmaster

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 0.5l bottle into a branded Staropramen mug.

Appearance: Golden and translucent with almost no head. Typical Czech pilsner.

Smell: Sweet and grassy with citrus smells.

Taste: Kind of flat. Faint grassy, hoppy, and citrusy notes.

Mouthfeel: Flat and carbonated. Nothing special.

Drinkability: Pretty good. Nothing too special. Something I would try again but nothing I would go out of my way to find.

03-19-2009 19:38:27 | More by wahhmaster
Gambrinus from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.