1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Gambrinus - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

GambrinusGambrinus

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2002)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 80 | Reviews: 44 | Show All Ratings:
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Brown 0.5 litre bottle, best before 18th Aug 2009, drank on my first ever night in Prague (18th Mar 2009).

Just flown in and found the hotel, wife is ill with a snotty nose and a cough to die for, I'm obviously 'up for it' and wanting to hit the bars and night-life. Compromise required, one bar and a night shop was the best I could negotiate.

Great bar, but snotty nose wasn't having any of it, we had to leave after my third beer or the whole trip would have been put in jeopardy.

The 'Night-Shop' had a crap selection of beers, catering for low-life and tourists with no beer knowledge or taste.

I choose this beer (and a couple more) to ease my pain of an early night.

Sat on my hotel bed, with a wheezing wife ruining the nights silence, I poured the beer into a small tumbler which should have held my toothbrush (five times).

The beer looked good, each little dribble into the tumbler produced a deep golden yellow coloured beer, with a well formed white head. As with almost all lager/pilsners the body was clean, clear and bright. My night was getting better,

The aroma must have been lost in the pouring because I found nothing to write about. The beer gets my standard 3 for odourless pils/lagers.

I found the taste and flavours to be grainy for a pilsner, crisp and tangy. Better than most in this style of beer anyway.

It also had a body and depth unlike so many lager/pilsner beers, nothing huge or really interesting, just heavier than most.

I would obviously prefered to have stayed out, but at least I've reviewed a beer while in Prague, even if it is from notes made while in a hotel room listening to the wife snore and wheeeze.

03-26-2009 22:28:36 | More by BlackHaddock
jjanega08

4.7/5  rDev +39.5%

Given to me from a friend after her brother came back form The Czech Republic.
A= Opened without much hiss but still looks like its got great carbonation. A smaller head but it's very very thick and bubbles rise are rising from the bottom to constantly replenish it. It's a golden yellow color. Looks great
S= Interesting enough it does have an odor. Not expected from the style. Lots of adjunct smell comes through and seems to be the perfect balance of bitter and sweet in the odor.
T= Interesting. It actually does have quite the flavor. It's all adjunct flavor but its flavor. There's a quite noticeable butteriness to it and a small hop bite at the end. Tastes very grainy to me but I definitely love it.
M= High carbonation. Somewhat light.
D= Very High. I like this beer a lot. Maybe because I'm czech by heritage but I actually really enjoyed the taste. Very nice.

03-25-2009 23:34:10 | More by jjanega08
wahhmaster

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from a 0.5l bottle into a branded Staropramen mug.

Appearance: Golden and translucent with almost no head. Typical Czech pilsner.

Smell: Sweet and grassy with citrus smells.

Taste: Kind of flat. Faint grassy, hoppy, and citrusy notes.

Mouthfeel: Flat and carbonated. Nothing special.

Drinkability: Pretty good. Nothing too special. Something I would try again but nothing I would go out of my way to find.

03-19-2009 19:38:27 | More by wahhmaster
Absumaster

Netherlands

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

A dark golden beer with a thin head.

Smell is malty with typical bottom fermented character. Some mild hoppiness.

Taste is malty with decoction caramel and Maillard products in the taste. The yeast adds a light fruity taste. Strangely enough I pick up hints of custard pudding. Bitterness is medium and drinkability is good.

06-06-2008 18:56:46 | More by Absumaster
thierrynantes

France

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Beer bottle (50cl), tasted in 2000.

Appearance: golden yellow color, well saturated, with white foam head.
Smell: hops aromas.
Taste and mouthfeel: malt flavour well balanced, good bitterness.
Drinkability: a refreshing beer in the Czech pilsener style.

Review translated from french 4-15-2008.

10-31-2007 21:43:12 | More by thierrynantes
moonman00

Mexico

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

This is a nice pilsener that i frequently tasted on my trip to Prague.

Tipical Czech pilsener, with a dark gold color and fair head.

It is very refreshing with mild hops ad spices as you drink it, and if you are thirsty this beer will fill up your needs.

You can get it in 500 ml can, along with your hot dog for a happy meal.

04-19-2007 17:47:02 | More by moonman00
jspruit

Denmark

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer poured and smelled great, even after making the trip back from Prague-where I bought the 500mL bottle for less than $1.
Not as full of flavor as some of the other Czech beers that I tasted when I was there-but this beer still tastes great, like I would expect of a typical Czech pilsner.
This beer goes down easy enough and full of taste for a long session.

03-08-2007 20:43:05 | More by jspruit
Mebuzzard

Colorado

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this review in my pocket from my month long stay in Prague. I wanted to review it earlier but couldn't remember how to spell it.
Anyway, this is a typical Czech brew. It's light in color, with a nice head (i had it on tap as well). A bit darker than Budweiser and Urquell. Taste was a bit less sweeter than those other two. Had some crispness to it. This was one of the better beers I had over there, and since I'm not a pilsner kind of guy, I drank this one a lot.

01-29-2007 01:13:25 | More by Mebuzzard
JayQue

4.33/5  rDev +28.5%

My sister brought me a bottle back from her trip to the Czech Republic. This is an excellent Pilsner. The color was clear and a kind of a bronze, rather unusual, with a nice big white head that hung in there. Minimal lacing. There was some aroma (a lot for a Pilsner). The taste was great. Hops bite up front and a solid balanced taste. Mouthfeel was good for a Pilsner, not too thin and no unpleasant aftertaste. Drinkability is great. This is what macro lagers should aspire to...a good tasting, fairly light beer that can serve anywhere from lawnmower beer up to your regular session beer.

This is what you should hand a Bud drinker to show him there is a better way!!!

11-05-2006 22:13:11 | More by JayQue
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured with huge head, crystal clear body. Great lacing. Clean mouthfeel, epitamy of easy drinking. Not much at all in terms of arom, oh well. Some light hop bitterness and sterm malt profile stays unobtrusive to the smooth, gentle mouthfeel. Would be very interesting on cask. I, personally, would prefer to big brother Pilsner Urquell. A good true Czech pilsner, far above anything you'd find domestically here in Ontario.

09-07-2006 16:00:22 | More by biegaman
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

2.65/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Enormous head,lighter yellow colour, bit of lace in glass. Agressive carbonation. Some bitterness but otherwise low in taste and in body. Malted away. Drying finish. Satisfying lawnmower beverage. Nothing off just bland, and not fresh from brewery. Passable aroma. Thanks to Jan Biegaman.

09-07-2006 02:51:13 | More by Sammy
BeerNutta

Australia

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

Gambrinus.

A = Poured a golden colour with a thin foam head.

S = There seemed to big malty smell roaming off this sucker. There was a slight hop characteristic but it was mainly malt seeping through.

T = Malt. Big malt flavour this beer has. All I could taste is Malt. There is a cookie flavour to this beer. Malt, Malt and Malt.

M = Little carbonation. Makes it easy to drink. Although I would have liked a little more carbonation.

D = Drinkable. But a little too malty for my liking.

04-14-2006 12:11:27 | More by BeerNutta
stcules

Italy

1.88/5  rDev -44.2%

Yellow color. White head. So and so...
Smell: nothing. Some malt. Pratically without smell. And anonymous.
Sweetie taste, malt (?). Bah. In any case, too sweet.
But why drink this one? Let it....
Nothing to say. Macro lager.
Drinkable, if there isn't anything else. But in this case, water is better.

12-06-2005 21:51:17 | More by stcules
JanM

Sweden

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

You have to be 18 (US citizen: 21) to visit Gambrinus' website. Couldn't find anything harmful there, though. I have a soft spot for thirst quenching Czechs which probably makes me overrate this beer a little. It pours with a finger of foam and has a nice, golden color. There is a strong bread aroma (which I also like), some hops and a little sourness. The taste is dry, malty and bready with some saltiness. In my opinion it's better than average but not in the premier league.

11-29-2005 20:49:35 | More by JanM
Mitchster

4.18/5  rDev +24%

This was a gift from Jeni, who brought it back from the Czech Republic. Pours out to a sparkingly clear dark golden, forming a large soapy white head with very good retention and average lacing. Carbonation is moderately brisk. The aroma is punctuated by typical Euro-Lager grassiness with plenty of Saaz hops and pale malts heftier than the typical Euro-Lager bill. Mouthfeel is biting, wet and very crisp. Very nice mouthfeel for the style. Medium bodied. Taste begins with mildly spicy floral hops, followed by delicate pale malts, a hint of caramel, and a slowly growing ebb of floral bitterness. The bitterness is accentuated by a brisk mineral mouthfeel which becomes distinct in the finish. The finish is clean, lightly dry and makes you want to drink more. No off-flavors.

This is a very good, well-made Euro-Pils and is very refreshing. I was surprised by this one. I would gladly drink it again.

04-16-2005 22:10:32 | More by Mitchster
Globetrotter

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Everyone I asked in Karlovy Vary told me that this beer is the favorite among the locals. Less ubiquitous than it's big brother Urquell, Gambrinus is not too hard to find in western Czech Republic. I brought home a sample in a Czech standard half-liter brown bottle with a gold and white label and gold foil around the neck. The label features a mug, a couple awards, and the lettering. Sugar is an ingredient. Best before 1/3/05, I opened it on 8/14/04. This, by the way, is the "Premium" product. There is also a pale and a light.

Pours a darkish clear gold under a firm two finger white head that fades fairly quickly to thick patchy film and leaves some spots of lace. Sweet grainy malt nose with a twinge of metal-fruit hops. Very highly carbonated and fairly light in the mouth. Open features a good strong malt backbone, slightly sweet and a bit bready. On top of this superstructure the crisp hoppiness quickly establishes itself, building in intensity until the smooth bitter finish. The bite lingers well into the aftertaste. Yup, it's good.

08-14-2004 19:02:05 | More by Globetrotter
allboutbierge

Austria

2.45/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I just found my notes on this one.

I really thought I was back drinking american macro swill when my buddys friend who was staying me in Prague suggested this to me.

Its yellow and fizzy just like miller lite and offers no real flavor. Like the reviewers before me said 'its just empty'. Flavor is grainy and nothing like other Bohemian pilsners I had. Mouthfeel is watery and seems overcarbonated.

11-18-2003 15:12:18 | More by allboutbierge
cooter

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

A beautiful classic golden pilsner, marred by the patchy head that forms after the first minute or two. An enjoyable major brew here in Prague, but its taste tends to the annoying once tried--it seems empty, more drinkable than enjoyable. High carbonation and its smooth, light hops make for a distinguishable biting mouthfeel. The aftertaste is thick on the tongue but without bitter, leaving you wanting more but not exciting the palate. After a few moments, a certain sweetness to the aftertaste appears as well.

More complexity would add to it, but its drinkability and smooth bite let it be an excellent accompaniment to bread-based meals. Slightly above average, but unfortunately touted as spectacular.

10-23-2003 23:28:32 | More by cooter
RocketWidget

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

I'm drinking this brew all the time in Prague, this major brew I prefer immensely to Pilsner Urquell. Came in a soccer ball themed can. Pours with good head, but dissolves quickly over time. Beer itself is a quite spectacular golden. Taste is a typical pilsner - smooth, but not much flavor except for slight hoppyness with the carbonation, and very little aftertaste. A good standard pilsner.

10-23-2003 23:16:00 | More by RocketWidget
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Gambrinus from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.