Gambrinus - Plzeňský Prazdroj

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

This is a nice pilsener that i frequently tasted on my trip to Prague.

Tipical Czech pilsener, with a dark gold color and fair head.

It is very refreshing with mild hops ad spices as you drink it, and if you are thirsty this beer will fill up your needs.

You can get it in 500 ml can, along with your hot dog for a happy meal.

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer poured and smelled great, even after making the trip back from Prague-where I bought the 500mL bottle for less than $1.
Not as full of flavor as some of the other Czech beers that I tasted when I was there-but this beer still tastes great, like I would expect of a typical Czech pilsner.
This beer goes down easy enough and full of taste for a long session.

3.7/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this review in my pocket from my month long stay in Prague. I wanted to review it earlier but couldn't remember how to spell it.
Anyway, this is a typical Czech brew. It's light in color, with a nice head (i had it on tap as well). A bit darker than Budweiser and Urquell. Taste was a bit less sweeter than those other two. Had some crispness to it. This was one of the better beers I had over there, and since I'm not a pilsner kind of guy, I drank this one a lot.

3.97/5  rDev +17.1%

Like others have commented, a popular beer in the Czech Republic due to good taste and ease of drinking. I'm sure that it helps that it's also significantly cheaper than Pilsner Urquell both in the bottle and on tap. Worth a try but not necessarily worth making a huge effort to seek out. If you come to the Czech Republic, you'll probably drink it.

4.28/5  rDev +26.3%

My sister brought me a bottle back from her trip to the Czech Republic. This is an excellent Pilsner. The color was clear and a kind of a bronze, rather unusual, with a nice big white head that hung in there. Minimal lacing. There was some aroma (a lot for a Pilsner). The taste was great. Hops bite up front and a solid balanced taste. Mouthfeel was good for a Pilsner, not too thin and no unpleasant aftertaste. Drinkability is great. This is what macro lagers should aspire to...a good tasting, fairly light beer that can serve anywhere from lawnmower beer up to your regular session beer.

This is what you should hand a Bud drinker to show him there is a better way!!!

3.3/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured with huge head, crystal clear body. Great lacing. Clean mouthfeel, epitamy of easy drinking. Not much at all in terms of arom, oh well. Some light hop bitterness and sterm malt profile stays unobtrusive to the smooth, gentle mouthfeel. Would be very interesting on cask. I, personally, would prefer to big brother Pilsner Urquell. A good true Czech pilsner, far above anything you'd find domestically here in Ontario.

2.66/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Enormous head,lighter yellow colour, bit of lace in glass. Agressive carbonation. Some bitterness but otherwise low in taste and in body. Malted away. Drying finish. Satisfying lawnmower beverage. Nothing off just bland, and not fresh from brewery. Passable aroma. Thanks to Jan Biegaman.

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

A = Poured a golden colour with a thin foam head.

S = There seemed to big malty smell roaming off this sucker. There was a slight hop characteristic but it was mainly malt seeping through.

T = Malt. Big malt flavour this beer has. All I could taste is Malt. There is a cookie flavour to this beer. Malt, Malt and Malt.

M = Little carbonation. Makes it easy to drink. Although I would have liked a little more carbonation.

D = Drinkable. But a little too malty for my liking.

3.8/5  rDev +12.1%

drank a ton of this in prague. had a blast. this beer is a lot more drinkable than budweiser (budvar). it is a really a great beer. you can drink twelve of these at a bar and not mind a bit. a must have. it is a simple pilsner, but with a few twists that make it what it is. not hoppy, no frills, just good beer. brought me back to pilsners.

1.86/5  rDev -45.1%

Yellow color. White head. So and so...
Smell: nothing. Some malt. Pratically without smell. And anonymous.
Sweetie taste, malt (?). Bah. In any case, too sweet.
But why drink this one? Let it....
Nothing to say. Macro lager.
Drinkable, if there isn't anything else. But in this case, water is better.

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

You have to be 18 (US citizen: 21) to visit Gambrinus' website. Couldn't find anything harmful there, though. I have a soft spot for thirst quenching Czechs which probably makes me overrate this beer a little. It pours with a finger of foam and has a nice, golden color. There is a strong bread aroma (which I also like), some hops and a little sourness. The taste is dry, malty and bready with some saltiness. In my opinion it's better than average but not in the premier league.

3.26/5  rDev -3.8%

The colour is deep yellow; the finger thick white foam forms a slowly sinking compact head.

The medium strong smell got notes of some bitter hops and white bread.

The taste is very refreshing with notes of white loaf, some mild salty malts, and bitter hops with some honey. The medium lasting aftertaste is clean and bitter.

The carbonation is very strong, it is almost sharp.

3.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Had this beer on-tap in a small canteen in central Prague a month ago. It was so cheap I couldn't believe my eyes when paying for this pint--just 12KC or 20 pence (Sterling Pounds)!!

It pours a rocky and foamy white beerhead, settling rather fast to a thin layer of medium bubbles... golden/light honeyish colour; medium-rich carbonation. The nose is very softly malty with light, lime-like fruity hops and soda-biscuit and dough's softly sour note. On the palate, again a lot of soft malts arrive in full force, with a light, delicate hop flavour at the back--no particular bitterness detected in the finish, while chewy, bready flavour is more noticeable towards the very end. It's basically a thin-bodied, mild-flavoured pilsner, with a bit of watery mouthfeel in the end. Straight-forward and much more boring than Pilsner Urquell, albeit very thirst quenching especially when served on tap.

4.18/5  rDev +23.3%

This was a gift from Jeni, who brought it back from the Czech Republic. Pours out to a sparkingly clear dark golden, forming a large soapy white head with very good retention and average lacing. Carbonation is moderately brisk. The aroma is punctuated by typical Euro-Lager grassiness with plenty of Saaz hops and pale malts heftier than the typical Euro-Lager bill. Mouthfeel is biting, wet and very crisp. Very nice mouthfeel for the style. Medium bodied. Taste begins with mildly spicy floral hops, followed by delicate pale malts, a hint of caramel, and a slowly growing ebb of floral bitterness. The bitterness is accentuated by a brisk mineral mouthfeel which becomes distinct in the finish. The finish is clean, lightly dry and makes you want to drink more. No off-flavors.

This is a very good, well-made Euro-Pils and is very refreshing. I was surprised by this one. I would gladly drink it again.

3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

Draft, St. Petersburg, Russia. A bit more substance after all the Russian lagers I’ve been swilling. Good fluffy head that leaves a little lace. Golden pilsener color. A bit of extra sweetness, but the European hop profile makes a valiant effort to balance it.Still, a great pilsner beer smell I could pick up from two feet away made a good first impression on me.

3.87/5  rDev +14.2%

Everyone I asked in Karlovy Vary told me that this beer is the favorite among the locals. Less ubiquitous than it's big brother Urquell, Gambrinus is not too hard to find in western Czech Republic. I brought home a sample in a Czech standard half-liter brown bottle with a gold and white label and gold foil around the neck. The label features a mug, a couple awards, and the lettering. Sugar is an ingredient. Best before 1/3/05, I opened it on 8/14/04. This, by the way, is the "Premium" product. There is also a pale and a light.

Pours a darkish clear gold under a firm two finger white head that fades fairly quickly to thick patchy film and leaves some spots of lace. Sweet grainy malt nose with a twinge of metal-fruit hops. Very highly carbonated and fairly light in the mouth. Open features a good strong malt backbone, slightly sweet and a bit bready. On top of this superstructure the crisp hoppiness quickly establishes itself, building in intensity until the smooth bitter finish. The bite lingers well into the aftertaste. Yup, it's good.

3.37/5  rDev -0.6%

The closest thing to a macro brew in the Czech republic, Gambrinus is served in nearly every restaurant where Pilsner Urquell is. It's generally cheaper than PU.

Is often served in some really interesting Gambrinus Glassware. Beer is served with a billowy head and a color similar to a pilsner, but with more orange. As others have put it, head dissolves into a splotchy mess soon after it goes down.

Smell is mostly malty. Not much hops to speak of.

The flavor to me is like a good american macro. Mostly malty with some adjuncts present. Hops are there merely to balance the beer and add little complexity. Aftertaste is negligable.

Feels watery in my mouth. Goes down fairly smooth though because of it. Some more carbonation could liven this beer substantially.

Exceptionally easy to drink. Great with a meal, and is the beer of choice at student parties where everyone is cheap.

Decent with a meal, But I wouldn't drink it if I had other beers around.

2.45/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I just found my notes on this one.

I really thought I was back drinking american macro swill when my buddys friend who was staying me in Prague suggested this to me.

Its yellow and fizzy just like miller lite and offers no real flavor. Like the reviewers before me said 'its just empty'. Flavor is grainy and nothing like other Bohemian pilsners I had. Mouthfeel is watery and seems overcarbonated.

3.13/5  rDev -7.7%

A beautiful classic golden pilsner, marred by the patchy head that forms after the first minute or two. An enjoyable major brew here in Prague, but its taste tends to the annoying once tried--it seems empty, more drinkable than enjoyable. High carbonation and its smooth, light hops make for a distinguishable biting mouthfeel. The aftertaste is thick on the tongue but without bitter, leaving you wanting more but not exciting the palate. After a few moments, a certain sweetness to the aftertaste appears as well.

More complexity would add to it, but its drinkability and smooth bite let it be an excellent accompaniment to bread-based meals. Slightly above average, but unfortunately touted as spectacular.

3.36/5  rDev -0.9%

I'm drinking this brew all the time in Prague, this major brew I prefer immensely to Pilsner Urquell. Came in a soccer ball themed can. Pours with good head, but dissolves quickly over time. Beer itself is a quite spectacular golden. Taste is a typical pilsner - smooth, but not much flavor except for slight hoppyness with the carbonation, and very little aftertaste. A good standard pilsner.

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

I decided I would make this my first beer review, since it looks like there is a paucity of them, probably due to the fact that this one is unavailable here in the U.S.

I drank quite a few of these when I visited Prague several years back. It was during my macroswill days, and I'd have to say that this one played a definite part in leading me toward an appreciation of, and search for good beers.

Since it was so long ago it's tough to remember much detail about the taste etc., but I do remember enough to give it a high rating on the drinkability scale, and also to say with a fair level of confidence that it's a good pilsener (not excellent, but definitely good). As stated in one of the other reviews, this one is widely consumed in the Czech Republic (I'm judging based solely on what I saw in Prague - on tap a the vast majority of pubs & restaraunts that I went to, and also available in cans if I remember right). Not as good as Urquell or Budvar, but still a good beer.

I spent a good deal of time searching for this one when I came back to the states and was extremely disappointed to discover that I couldn't get it here. I'd love to drink another one of these, I'd even choose it over a better beer just to sample it again. Guess I'll have to go back to Prague.

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

Good beer. Tried this when i was in Prague. I'm not VERY enthusiastic with this beer and the reason perhaps is that i compare it with Pilsner Urquell and the U Fleku beer i had when i was in Prague. Definitely not the best Czech Republic has to offer

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last