Gambrinus - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

GambrinusGambrinus

Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2002)
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

2.65/5  rDev -21.8%

Enormous head,lighter yellow colour, bit of lace in glass. Agressive carbonation. Some bitterness but otherwise low in taste and in body. Malted away. Drying finish. Satisfying lawnmower beverage. Nothing off just bland, and not fresh from brewery. Passable aroma. Thanks to Jan Biegaman.

09-07-2006 02:51:13 | More by Sammy
BeerNutta

Australia

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Gambrinus.

A = Poured a golden colour with a thin foam head.

S = There seemed to big malty smell roaming off this sucker. There was a slight hop characteristic but it was mainly malt seeping through.

T = Malt. Big malt flavour this beer has. All I could taste is Malt. There is a cookie flavour to this beer. Malt, Malt and Malt.

M = Little carbonation. Makes it easy to drink. Although I would have liked a little more carbonation.

D = Drinkable. But a little too malty for my liking.

04-14-2006 12:11:27 | More by BeerNutta
willgro

3.83/5  rDev +13%

drank a ton of this in prague. had a blast. this beer is a lot more drinkable than budweiser (budvar). it is a really a great beer. you can drink twelve of these at a bar and not mind a bit. a must have. it is a simple pilsner, but with a few twists that make it what it is. not hoppy, no frills, just good beer. brought me back to pilsners.

03-22-2006 16:18:34 | More by willgro
stcules

Italy

1.88/5  rDev -44.5%

Yellow color. White head. So and so...
Smell: nothing. Some malt. Pratically without smell. And anonymous.
Sweetie taste, malt (?). Bah. In any case, too sweet.
But why drink this one? Let it....
Nothing to say. Macro lager.
Drinkable, if there isn't anything else. But in this case, water is better.

12-06-2005 21:51:17 | More by stcules
JanM

Sweden

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

You have to be 18 (US citizen: 21) to visit Gambrinus' website. Couldn't find anything harmful there, though. I have a soft spot for thirst quenching Czechs which probably makes me overrate this beer a little. It pours with a finger of foam and has a nice, golden color. There is a strong bread aroma (which I also like), some hops and a little sourness. The taste is dry, malty and bready with some saltiness. In my opinion it's better than average but not in the premier league.

11-29-2005 20:49:35 | More by JanM
bark

Sweden

3.33/5  rDev -1.8%

The colour is deep yellow; the finger thick white foam forms a slowly sinking compact head.

The medium strong smell got notes of some bitter hops and white bread.

The taste is very refreshing with notes of white loaf, some mild salty malts, and bitter hops with some honey. The medium lasting aftertaste is clean and bitter.

The carbonation is very strong, it is almost sharp.

09-02-2005 20:36:06 | More by bark
wl0307

United Kingdom (England)

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%

Had this beer on-tap in a small canteen in central Prague a month ago. It was so cheap I couldn't believe my eyes when paying for this pint--just 12KC or 20 pence (Sterling Pounds)!!

It pours a rocky and foamy white beerhead, settling rather fast to a thin layer of medium bubbles... golden/light honeyish colour; medium-rich carbonation. The nose is very softly malty with light, lime-like fruity hops and soda-biscuit and dough's softly sour note. On the palate, again a lot of soft malts arrive in full force, with a light, delicate hop flavour at the back--no particular bitterness detected in the finish, while chewy, bready flavour is more noticeable towards the very end. It's basically a thin-bodied, mild-flavoured pilsner, with a bit of watery mouthfeel in the end. Straight-forward and much more boring than Pilsner Urquell, albeit very thirst quenching especially when served on tap.

08-07-2005 15:41:39 | More by wl0307
Mitchster

4.18/5  rDev +23.3%

This was a gift from Jeni, who brought it back from the Czech Republic. Pours out to a sparkingly clear dark golden, forming a large soapy white head with very good retention and average lacing. Carbonation is moderately brisk. The aroma is punctuated by typical Euro-Lager grassiness with plenty of Saaz hops and pale malts heftier than the typical Euro-Lager bill. Mouthfeel is biting, wet and very crisp. Very nice mouthfeel for the style. Medium bodied. Taste begins with mildly spicy floral hops, followed by delicate pale malts, a hint of caramel, and a slowly growing ebb of floral bitterness. The bitterness is accentuated by a brisk mineral mouthfeel which becomes distinct in the finish. The finish is clean, lightly dry and makes you want to drink more. No off-flavors.

This is a very good, well-made Euro-Pils and is very refreshing. I was surprised by this one. I would gladly drink it again.

04-16-2005 22:10:32 | More by Mitchster
DrunkMcDermott

3.15/5  rDev -7.1%

Draft, St. Petersburg, Russia. A bit more substance after all the Russian lagers I’ve been swilling. Good fluffy head that leaves a little lace. Golden pilsener color. A bit of extra sweetness, but the European hop profile makes a valiant effort to balance it.Still, a great pilsner beer smell I could pick up from two feet away made a good first impression on me.

03-28-2005 15:24:50 | More by DrunkMcDermott
Globetrotter

3.88/5  rDev +14.5%

Everyone I asked in Karlovy Vary told me that this beer is the favorite among the locals. Less ubiquitous than it's big brother Urquell, Gambrinus is not too hard to find in western Czech Republic. I brought home a sample in a Czech standard half-liter brown bottle with a gold and white label and gold foil around the neck. The label features a mug, a couple awards, and the lettering. Sugar is an ingredient. Best before 1/3/05, I opened it on 8/14/04. This, by the way, is the "Premium" product. There is also a pale and a light.

Pours a darkish clear gold under a firm two finger white head that fades fairly quickly to thick patchy film and leaves some spots of lace. Sweet grainy malt nose with a twinge of metal-fruit hops. Very highly carbonated and fairly light in the mouth. Open features a good strong malt backbone, slightly sweet and a bit bready. On top of this superstructure the crisp hoppiness quickly establishes itself, building in intensity until the smooth bitter finish. The bite lingers well into the aftertaste. Yup, it's good.

08-14-2004 19:02:05 | More by Globetrotter
Charthepirate

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%

The closest thing to a macro brew in the Czech republic, Gambrinus is served in nearly every restaurant where Pilsner Urquell is. It's generally cheaper than PU.

Is often served in some really interesting Gambrinus Glassware. Beer is served with a billowy head and a color similar to a pilsner, but with more orange. As others have put it, head dissolves into a splotchy mess soon after it goes down.

Smell is mostly malty. Not much hops to speak of.

The flavor to me is like a good american macro. Mostly malty with some adjuncts present. Hops are there merely to balance the beer and add little complexity. Aftertaste is negligable.

Feels watery in my mouth. Goes down fairly smooth though because of it. Some more carbonation could liven this beer substantially.

Exceptionally easy to drink. Great with a meal, and is the beer of choice at student parties where everyone is cheap.

Decent with a meal, But I wouldn't drink it if I had other beers around.

11-19-2003 00:53:56 | More by Charthepirate
allboutbierge

Austria

2.45/5  rDev -27.7%

I just found my notes on this one.

I really thought I was back drinking american macro swill when my buddys friend who was staying me in Prague suggested this to me.

Its yellow and fizzy just like miller lite and offers no real flavor. Like the reviewers before me said 'its just empty'. Flavor is grainy and nothing like other Bohemian pilsners I had. Mouthfeel is watery and seems overcarbonated.

11-18-2003 15:12:18 | More by allboutbierge
cooter

3.15/5  rDev -7.1%

A beautiful classic golden pilsner, marred by the patchy head that forms after the first minute or two. An enjoyable major brew here in Prague, but its taste tends to the annoying once tried--it seems empty, more drinkable than enjoyable. High carbonation and its smooth, light hops make for a distinguishable biting mouthfeel. The aftertaste is thick on the tongue but without bitter, leaving you wanting more but not exciting the palate. After a few moments, a certain sweetness to the aftertaste appears as well.

More complexity would add to it, but its drinkability and smooth bite let it be an excellent accompaniment to bread-based meals. Slightly above average, but unfortunately touted as spectacular.

10-23-2003 23:28:32 | More by cooter
RocketWidget

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%

I'm drinking this brew all the time in Prague, this major brew I prefer immensely to Pilsner Urquell. Came in a soccer ball themed can. Pours with good head, but dissolves quickly over time. Beer itself is a quite spectacular golden. Taste is a typical pilsner - smooth, but not much flavor except for slight hoppyness with the carbonation, and very little aftertaste. A good standard pilsner.

10-23-2003 23:16:00 | More by RocketWidget
Darren43

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

I decided I would make this my first beer review, since it looks like there is a paucity of them, probably due to the fact that this one is unavailable here in the U.S.

I drank quite a few of these when I visited Prague several years back. It was during my macroswill days, and I'd have to say that this one played a definite part in leading me toward an appreciation of, and search for good beers.

Since it was so long ago it's tough to remember much detail about the taste etc., but I do remember enough to give it a high rating on the drinkability scale, and also to say with a fair level of confidence that it's a good pilsener (not excellent, but definitely good). As stated in one of the other reviews, this one is widely consumed in the Czech Republic (I'm judging based solely on what I saw in Prague - on tap a the vast majority of pubs & restaraunts that I went to, and also available in cans if I remember right). Not as good as Urquell or Budvar, but still a good beer.

I spent a good deal of time searching for this one when I came back to the states and was extremely disappointed to discover that I couldn't get it here. I'd love to drink another one of these, I'd even choose it over a better beer just to sample it again. Guess I'll have to go back to Prague.

07-30-2003 21:28:33 | More by Darren43
ipogios

Cyprus

3.23/5  rDev -4.7%

Good beer. Tried this when i was in Prague. I'm not VERY enthusiastic with this beer and the reason perhaps is that i compare it with Pilsner Urquell and the U Fleku beer i had when i was in Prague. Definitely not the best Czech Republic has to offer

04-15-2003 05:41:42 | More by ipogios
Gambrinus from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.