Gambrinus - Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.

GambrinusGambrinus

pDev: 15%
Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2002

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

This beer comes in a long-necked brown 50 cl bottle. The label is pretty boring looking; only text (with a small coat of arms as a watermark).

A: The colour is clear golden with a sparkling white head that dissipates rather quickly leaving some lacings.

S: Boiled vegetables at first, then sweet malt and faint floral noble hops with citric notes.

T: Nice hops at first which turns into bready malt. Bitter and floral at the same time, but not in great harmony. The boiled vegetables from the smell is a bit fainter in the smell, but still present. Some fruityness, citric notes.

M: Aftertaste is short and holds only faint bitterness. Carbonation is rich and a bit rough. The body is medium creamy. Body and carb. aren't in balance.

D: A Czech that you probably won't buy more than once - I will not buy it again. Nothing wrong with it, but there are so many others that are better.

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

This is the best Czech beer that I have tried while in Czech Republic. There are actually several versions available in the stores such as Regular, Premium and Excellent. I am not sure what kind is typically on tap but it has the Czech Pilsner taste without the skunkyness like Pilner Urquell.

3.41/5  rDev +0.3%

Brown 0.5 litre bottle, best before 18th Aug 2009, drank on my first ever night in Prague (18th Mar 2009).

Just flown in and found the hotel, wife is ill with a snotty nose and a cough to die for, I'm obviously 'up for it' and wanting to hit the bars and night-life. Compromise required, one bar and a night shop was the best I could negotiate.

Great bar, but snotty nose wasn't having any of it, we had to leave after my third beer or the whole trip would have been put in jeopardy.

The 'Night-Shop' had a crap selection of beers, catering for low-life and tourists with no beer knowledge or taste.

I choose this beer (and a couple more) to ease my pain of an early night.

Sat on my hotel bed, with a wheezing wife ruining the nights silence, I poured the beer into a small tumbler which should have held my toothbrush (five times).

The beer looked good, each little dribble into the tumbler produced a deep golden yellow coloured beer, with a well formed white head. As with almost all lager/pilsners the body was clean, clear and bright. My night was getting better,

The aroma must have been lost in the pouring because I found nothing to write about. The beer gets my standard 3 for odourless pils/lagers.

I found the taste and flavours to be grainy for a pilsner, crisp and tangy. Better than most in this style of beer anyway.

It also had a body and depth unlike so many lager/pilsner beers, nothing huge or really interesting, just heavier than most.

I would obviously prefered to have stayed out, but at least I've reviewed a beer while in Prague, even if it is from notes made while in a hotel room listening to the wife snore and wheeeze.

4.67/5  rDev +37.4%

Given to me from a friend after her brother came back form The Czech Republic.
A= Opened without much hiss but still looks like its got great carbonation. A smaller head but it's very very thick and bubbles rise are rising from the bottom to constantly replenish it. It's a golden yellow color. Looks great
S= Interesting enough it does have an odor. Not expected from the style. Lots of adjunct smell comes through and seems to be the perfect balance of bitter and sweet in the odor.
T= Interesting. It actually does have quite the flavor. It's all adjunct flavor but its flavor. There's a quite noticeable butteriness to it and a small hop bite at the end. Tastes very grainy to me but I definitely love it.
M= High carbonation. Somewhat light.
D= Very High. I like this beer a lot. Maybe because I'm czech by heritage but I actually really enjoyed the taste. Very nice.

3.4/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 0.5l bottle into a branded Staropramen mug.

Appearance: Golden and translucent with almost no head. Typical Czech pilsner.

Smell: Sweet and grassy with citrus smells.

Taste: Kind of flat. Faint grassy, hoppy, and citrusy notes.

Mouthfeel: Flat and carbonated. Nothing special.

Drinkability: Pretty good. Nothing too special. Something I would try again but nothing I would go out of my way to find.

3.74/5  rDev +10%

I loved in Czech for 6 months and I would have to say this was one of my favorites. Great example of a fine Pilsner. It's mush lighter than the other Czech beers and Aerican seem to shose this over others. I can not find it anywhere in the US. I'm sure if it was here it would sell very well. Althogh I do like it, there are better czech selections there.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

A dark golden beer with a thin head.

Smell is malty with typical bottom fermented character. Some mild hoppiness.

Taste is malty with decoction caramel and Maillard products in the taste. The yeast adds a light fruity taste. Strangely enough I pick up hints of custard pudding. Bitterness is medium and drinkability is good.

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

Ah the halcyon days of Gambrinus are long gone. Gone is the refreshingly crisp taste, gone is the buzz whenever passing a Gambrinus bar, gone is the soul of this once excellent beer. I have been living in the Czech Republic for nigh on ten years and once upon a time a Gambac would come with a great frothy head that clung to your nose, and further beers would be on the way before the first was finished. The last Gambrinus I had though was weak, watery and hardly worth the effort. Such are sad stories written.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Beer bottle (50cl), tasted in 2000.

Appearance: golden yellow color, well saturated, with white foam head.
Smell: hops aromas.
Taste and mouthfeel: malt flavour well balanced, good bitterness.
Drinkability: a refreshing beer in the Czech pilsener style.

Review translated from french 4-15-2008.

Had this on numerous occasions while in Praha, along with Pilsner Urquell, and i couldnt tell them apart, both average.

50cl servings in standard gambrinus glass.

A- Golden in colour, soapy rocky 2 finger head that disappates quickly to a crown. lacing is minimal to average.

S- Um, how to put it, doesnt smell fresh i guess. I bit skunked but not totally, lots of saaz hops, and some bready malts, but not that lovely fresh bread smell.

T- Lots of hops bitterness, but expected it to be drier and crisper in the finish, it seems to try, then gives up to a watery finish.

M- seems a bit soaper than urquell, but low carbonation and lifeless still.

D- Did a taste test with this an Urquell in a Praha pub, and couldnt tell them apart. Just not a fan of any Bohemian lagers i have found, but the dark stuff is a different story.

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

This is a nice pilsener that i frequently tasted on my trip to Prague.

Tipical Czech pilsener, with a dark gold color and fair head.

It is very refreshing with mild hops ad spices as you drink it, and if you are thirsty this beer will fill up your needs.

You can get it in 500 ml can, along with your hot dog for a happy meal.

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

This beer poured and smelled great, even after making the trip back from Prague-where I bought the 500mL bottle for less than $1.
Not as full of flavor as some of the other Czech beers that I tasted when I was there-but this beer still tastes great, like I would expect of a typical Czech pilsner.
This beer goes down easy enough and full of taste for a long session.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this review in my pocket from my month long stay in Prague. I wanted to review it earlier but couldn't remember how to spell it.
Anyway, this is a typical Czech brew. It's light in color, with a nice head (i had it on tap as well). A bit darker than Budweiser and Urquell. Taste was a bit less sweeter than those other two. Had some crispness to it. This was one of the better beers I had over there, and since I'm not a pilsner kind of guy, I drank this one a lot.

3.97/5  rDev +16.8%

Like others have commented, a popular beer in the Czech Republic due to good taste and ease of drinking. I'm sure that it helps that it's also significantly cheaper than Pilsner Urquell both in the bottle and on tap. Worth a try but not necessarily worth making a huge effort to seek out. If you come to the Czech Republic, you'll probably drink it.

4.28/5  rDev +25.9%

My sister brought me a bottle back from her trip to the Czech Republic. This is an excellent Pilsner. The color was clear and a kind of a bronze, rather unusual, with a nice big white head that hung in there. Minimal lacing. There was some aroma (a lot for a Pilsner). The taste was great. Hops bite up front and a solid balanced taste. Mouthfeel was good for a Pilsner, not too thin and no unpleasant aftertaste. Drinkability is great. This is what macro lagers should aspire to...a good tasting, fairly light beer that can serve anywhere from lawnmower beer up to your regular session beer.

This is what you should hand a Bud drinker to show him there is a better way!!!

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured with huge head, crystal clear body. Great lacing. Clean mouthfeel, epitamy of easy drinking. Not much at all in terms of arom, oh well. Some light hop bitterness and sterm malt profile stays unobtrusive to the smooth, gentle mouthfeel. Would be very interesting on cask. I, personally, would prefer to big brother Pilsner Urquell. A good true Czech pilsner, far above anything you'd find domestically here in Ontario.

2.66/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Enormous head,lighter yellow colour, bit of lace in glass. Agressive carbonation. Some bitterness but otherwise low in taste and in body. Malted away. Drying finish. Satisfying lawnmower beverage. Nothing off just bland, and not fresh from brewery. Passable aroma. Thanks to Jan Biegaman.

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Gambrinus.

A = Poured a golden colour with a thin foam head.

S = There seemed to big malty smell roaming off this sucker. There was a slight hop characteristic but it was mainly malt seeping through.

T = Malt. Big malt flavour this beer has. All I could taste is Malt. There is a cookie flavour to this beer. Malt, Malt and Malt.

M = Little carbonation. Makes it easy to drink. Although I would have liked a little more carbonation.

D = Drinkable. But a little too malty for my liking.

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

drank a ton of this in prague. had a blast. this beer is a lot more drinkable than budweiser (budvar). it is a really a great beer. you can drink twelve of these at a bar and not mind a bit. a must have. it is a simple pilsner, but with a few twists that make it what it is. not hoppy, no frills, just good beer. brought me back to pilsners.

1.86/5  rDev -45.3%

Yellow color. White head. So and so...
Smell: nothing. Some malt. Pratically without smell. And anonymous.
Sweetie taste, malt (?). Bah. In any case, too sweet.
But why drink this one? Let it....
Nothing to say. Macro lager.
Drinkable, if there isn't anything else. But in this case, water is better.

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

You have to be 18 (US citizen: 21) to visit Gambrinus' website. Couldn't find anything harmful there, though. I have a soft spot for thirst quenching Czechs which probably makes me overrate this beer a little. It pours with a finger of foam and has a nice, golden color. There is a strong bread aroma (which I also like), some hops and a little sourness. The taste is dry, malty and bready with some saltiness. In my opinion it's better than average but not in the premier league.

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%

The colour is deep yellow; the finger thick white foam forms a slowly sinking compact head.

The medium strong smell got notes of some bitter hops and white bread.

The taste is very refreshing with notes of white loaf, some mild salty malts, and bitter hops with some honey. The medium lasting aftertaste is clean and bitter.

The carbonation is very strong, it is almost sharp.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Had this beer on-tap in a small canteen in central Prague a month ago. It was so cheap I couldn't believe my eyes when paying for this pint--just 12KC or 20 pence (Sterling Pounds)!!

It pours a rocky and foamy white beerhead, settling rather fast to a thin layer of medium bubbles... golden/light honeyish colour; medium-rich carbonation. The nose is very softly malty with light, lime-like fruity hops and soda-biscuit and dough's softly sour note. On the palate, again a lot of soft malts arrive in full force, with a light, delicate hop flavour at the back--no particular bitterness detected in the finish, while chewy, bready flavour is more noticeable towards the very end. It's basically a thin-bodied, mild-flavoured pilsner, with a bit of watery mouthfeel in the end. Straight-forward and much more boring than Pilsner Urquell, albeit very thirst quenching especially when served on tap.

4.18/5  rDev +22.9%

This was a gift from Jeni, who brought it back from the Czech Republic. Pours out to a sparkingly clear dark golden, forming a large soapy white head with very good retention and average lacing. Carbonation is moderately brisk. The aroma is punctuated by typical Euro-Lager grassiness with plenty of Saaz hops and pale malts heftier than the typical Euro-Lager bill. Mouthfeel is biting, wet and very crisp. Very nice mouthfeel for the style. Medium bodied. Taste begins with mildly spicy floral hops, followed by delicate pale malts, a hint of caramel, and a slowly growing ebb of floral bitterness. The bitterness is accentuated by a brisk mineral mouthfeel which becomes distinct in the finish. The finish is clean, lightly dry and makes you want to drink more. No off-flavors.

This is a very good, well-made Euro-Pils and is very refreshing. I was surprised by this one. I would gladly drink it again.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Draft, St. Petersburg, Russia. A bit more substance after all the Russian lagers I’ve been swilling. Good fluffy head that leaves a little lace. Golden pilsener color. A bit of extra sweetness, but the European hop profile makes a valiant effort to balance it.Still, a great pilsner beer smell I could pick up from two feet away made a good first impression on me.

Gambrinus from Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.