Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Gambrinus - Plzeňský Prazdroj

GambrinusGambrinus

Plzeňský Prazdroj visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.18/5  rDev -6.7%

Draft, St. Petersburg, Russia. A bit more substance after all the Russian lagers I’ve been swilling. Good fluffy head that leaves a little lace. Golden pilsener color. A bit of extra sweetness, but the European hop profile makes a valiant effort to balance it.Still, a great pilsner beer smell I could pick up from two feet away made a good first impression on me. (365 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 0.5l bottle into a branded Staropramen mug.

Appearance: Golden and translucent with almost no head. Typical Czech pilsner.

Smell: Sweet and grassy with citrus smells.

Taste: Kind of flat. Faint grassy, hoppy, and citrusy notes.

Mouthfeel: Flat and carbonated. Nothing special.

Drinkability: Pretty good. Nothing too special. Something I would try again but nothing I would go out of my way to find. (417 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I just found my notes on this one.

I really thought I was back drinking american macro swill when my buddys friend who was staying me in Prague suggested this to me.

Its yellow and fizzy just like miller lite and offers no real flavor. Like the reviewers before me said 'its just empty'. Flavor is grainy and nothing like other Bohemian pilsners I had. Mouthfeel is watery and seems overcarbonated. (404 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

Gambrinus.

A = Poured a golden colour with a thin foam head.

S = There seemed to big malty smell roaming off this sucker. There was a slight hop characteristic but it was mainly malt seeping through.

T = Malt. Big malt flavour this beer has. All I could taste is Malt. There is a cookie flavour to this beer. Malt, Malt and Malt.

M = Little carbonation. Makes it easy to drink. Although I would have liked a little more carbonation.

D = Drinkable. But a little too malty for my liking. (502 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -1.5%

I'm drinking this brew all the time in Prague, this major brew I prefer immensely to Pilsner Urquell. Came in a soccer ball themed can. Pours with good head, but dissolves quickly over time. Beer itself is a quite spectacular golden. Taste is a typical pilsner - smooth, but not much flavor except for slight hoppyness with the carbonation, and very little aftertaste. A good standard pilsner. (393 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +7%

You have to be 18 (US citizen: 21) to visit Gambrinus' website. Couldn't find anything harmful there, though. I have a soft spot for thirst quenching Czechs which probably makes me overrate this beer a little. It pours with a finger of foam and has a nice, golden color. There is a strong bread aroma (which I also like), some hops and a little sourness. The taste is dry, malty and bready with some saltiness. In my opinion it's better than average but not in the premier league. (480 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Good beer. Tried this when i was in Prague. I'm not VERY enthusiastic with this beer and the reason perhaps is that i compare it with Pilsner Urquell and the U Fleku beer i had when i was in Prague. Definitely not the best Czech Republic has to offer (250 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +6.5%

This beer poured and smelled great, even after making the trip back from Prague-where I bought the 500mL bottle for less than $1.
Not as full of flavor as some of the other Czech beers that I tasted when I was there-but this beer still tastes great, like I would expect of a typical Czech pilsner.
This beer goes down easy enough and full of taste for a long session. (371 characters)

Pours clear golden color with a thin white head that dissipates pretty quickly.

Smells slightly hoppy with some grassiness.

Tastes - Malty and hoppy. Starts pretty sweet but has a hoppy bite on the back end.The after tastes is unpleasant. Almost medicinal in its bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Medium body and carbonation.

Overall- Not a very good beer. Not a huge pilsner fan but I suspect this isn't a great one. (413 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -19.4%

Ah the halcyon days of Gambrinus are long gone. Gone is the refreshingly crisp taste, gone is the buzz whenever passing a Gambrinus bar, gone is the soul of this once excellent beer. I have been living in the Czech Republic for nigh on ten years and once upon a time a Gambac would come with a great frothy head that clung to your nose, and further beers would be on the way before the first was finished. The last Gambrinus I had though was weak, watery and hardly worth the effort. Such are sad stories written. (513 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +16.1%

Gambrinus, ABV: 5.0%.
500 ml bottle, 15.90 SEK at Systembolaget.

I had this beer once about a year ago. At the time I loved Czech Pilseners and I thought this was one of the best I've ever had. Let's see if it's as good as I remember!

A: It pours golden (with hints of copper), with a thick, white, foamy head. Lovely.

S: The aroma is malty with notes of butterscotch, bread and citrus. It doesn't smell like hay and brewery in the same way as an Urquell, but my feeling is definitely Czech.

T: Soft, very balanced, tastes of toffee and bread. Medium bitterness (and a body to match), nothing is extreme here, just pleasant. A very elegant, and robust lager.

M: Real smooth. Filling, yet it's very drinkable, and a somewhat dry finish.

O: I sure have widened my beer taste over the year, but a great Czech Pils is never wrong. This is still one of my favourites - it doesn't get much better for this kind of money. I'll drink this on its own, or with meats, sausages, or a sturdy sandwich. (995 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -1.2%

The closest thing to a macro brew in the Czech republic, Gambrinus is served in nearly every restaurant where Pilsner Urquell is. It's generally cheaper than PU.

Is often served in some really interesting Gambrinus Glassware. Beer is served with a billowy head and a color similar to a pilsner, but with more orange. As others have put it, head dissolves into a splotchy mess soon after it goes down.

Smell is mostly malty. Not much hops to speak of.

The flavor to me is like a good american macro. Mostly malty with some adjuncts present. Hops are there merely to balance the beer and add little complexity. Aftertaste is negligable.

Feels watery in my mouth. Goes down fairly smooth though because of it. Some more carbonation could liven this beer substantially.

Exceptionally easy to drink. Great with a meal, and is the beer of choice at student parties where everyone is cheap.

Decent with a meal, But I wouldn't drink it if I had other beers around. (980 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -8.2%

A beautiful classic golden pilsner, marred by the patchy head that forms after the first minute or two. An enjoyable major brew here in Prague, but its taste tends to the annoying once tried--it seems empty, more drinkable than enjoyable. High carbonation and its smooth, light hops make for a distinguishable biting mouthfeel. The aftertaste is thick on the tongue but without bitter, leaving you wanting more but not exciting the palate. After a few moments, a certain sweetness to the aftertaste appears as well.

More complexity would add to it, but its drinkability and smooth bite let it be an excellent accompaniment to bread-based meals. Slightly above average, but unfortunately touted as spectacular. (713 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -38.4%

A - light gold and yellow
S - a little bit hops and some strange factor
T - very watery, little bit hoppy with sweet end.. nothing interesting
M - high carbonation, low body
D - pretty drinkable, however, with its watery taste, not interested in this one.. moreover it is HGB (276 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Sky clear yellow colour with massive head.

S: Pils smell, full of hops, small tones of malts. You might find some apple and citruses.

T: The way a good pils should taste. Hoppy with alcohol bitterness on the tongue.

M: Light body with no carbonation.

D: Good beer with lower reputation than it deserves in Czech Republic. Definitely one of my favourites pilsners. Good for hot summer time. (397 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

A- Darker yellow-gold, clear with visible carbonation and a small head of about one finger.

S- Hops, herbal, slightly medicinal and some sweet notes.

T- Grainy, yeasty and sweet finishes with slightly bitter hops.

M- A lot of carbonation light-medium light mouth-feel.

D- over all I like this beer and I feel that it is pretty drinkable, goes down nice and easy. (366 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +4.1%

This is a nice pilsener that i frequently tasted on my trip to Prague.

Tipical Czech pilsener, with a dark gold color and fair head.

It is very refreshing with mild hops ad spices as you drink it, and if you are thirsty this beer will fill up your needs.

You can get it in 500 ml can, along with your hot dog for a happy meal. (335 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +11.4%

drank a ton of this in prague. had a blast. this beer is a lot more drinkable than budweiser (budvar). it is a really a great beer. you can drink twelve of these at a bar and not mind a bit. a must have. it is a simple pilsner, but with a few twists that make it what it is. not hoppy, no frills, just good beer. brought me back to pilsners. (341 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Like others have commented, a popular beer in the Czech Republic due to good taste and ease of drinking. I'm sure that it helps that it's also significantly cheaper than Pilsner Urquell both in the bottle and on tap. Worth a try but not necessarily worth making a huge effort to seek out. If you come to the Czech Republic, you'll probably drink it. (349 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance: Saturated yellow body with a decent amount of carbonation. Finger thick bone white carbonated head.

Smell: Strong smell of bitter hops hits the nose followed by mellow hints of malt breadiness that isn't really bread. Can't put my finger on that one.

Taste: Bitterness hits the tastebuds follow by slight hint of malts. The two aren't overpowering each other. In fact the taste is gone after half a pint.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation. Very sessionable.

Overall: Would drink this if I didn't have any much choice. But not drinking it again for the sake of drinking it any time soon. (597 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +4.1%

I decided I would make this my first beer review, since it looks like there is a paucity of them, probably due to the fact that this one is unavailable here in the U.S.

I drank quite a few of these when I visited Prague several years back. It was during my macroswill days, and I'd have to say that this one played a definite part in leading me toward an appreciation of, and search for good beers.

Since it was so long ago it's tough to remember much detail about the taste etc., but I do remember enough to give it a high rating on the drinkability scale, and also to say with a fair level of confidence that it's a good pilsener (not excellent, but definitely good). As stated in one of the other reviews, this one is widely consumed in the Czech Republic (I'm judging based solely on what I saw in Prague - on tap a the vast majority of pubs & restaraunts that I went to, and also available in cans if I remember right). Not as good as Urquell or Budvar, but still a good beer.

I spent a good deal of time searching for this one when I came back to the states and was extremely disappointed to discover that I couldn't get it here. I'd love to drink another one of these, I'd even choose it over a better beer just to sample it again. Guess I'll have to go back to Prague. (1,287 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +26.1%

This is the best Czech beer that I have tried while in Czech Republic. There are actually several versions available in the stores such as Regular, Premium and Excellent. I am not sure what kind is typically on tap but it has the Czech Pilsner taste without the skunkyness like Pilner Urquell. (293 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last