1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Verte Du Mont Blanc - Brasserie Distillerie Du Mont Blanc

Verte Du Mont BlancVerte Du Mont Blanc

Brasserie Distillerie Du Mont Blanc visit their website
France

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: tjd25 on 08-13-2004)
Reviews by SmashPants:
3.55/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Clear bottle from an international brewery. Okay label, nothing special. Would have expected a bit more for the price.

Appearance: Pours a bright green with fine carbonation, looks more like a spritzy soft drink. Interesting at least.

Aroma: Very interesting for a beer. Mint with honeydew and grapefruit. Fairly light, like a radler.

Taste: Again very interesting with the mint and honeydew up front. Absolutely not sense that this is an alcoholic beverage. Very refreshing.

Aftertaste: The sweetness gives way to a savoury flavour of spice and almost umami flavours.

Mouthfeel - spritzy, like a lemon, lime and bitters. Fine-bubble carbonation make for a light and refreshing drink.

Overall: Certainly something different for a change. There is one massive caveat with that though - it is around AU$100 a case (yes, you read that right!), so I don't think so. Maybe one bottle at a time occasionally. A very expensive LL&B...

SmashPants, Jun 24, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Satyr179, Mar 09, 2013

stereosforgeeks, Dec 17, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -38.8%

Octathreat, Aug 06, 2014
1.9/5  rDev -33.6%

Pours green with a large, fading head.
Faintly herbal aroma, also some mint-like notes, with vegetal characters underneath spoiling things.
Pretty similar flavours (herbal and vegetal notes) but with a big sugary sweetness.
Body feels very watery.

CrazyDavros, Nov 21, 2012

Drank from my Ciney shiffer

A - Pours a light green clear colour, no head.

S - Smell is Radler like, with herb and ginger.

T - Taste is also radler like with a herbal zing on the finish. Citrus etc

M - Light body and carbonation is full

O - Will quench a thirst on a hot day.

eric5bellies, Oct 20, 2013

madebylaw, Feb 20, 2013
1.98/5  rDev -30.8%

Wow. I fouond an honest to God green beer the day before St. Patrick's Day. So of course I held off a day to try it.

Pours a pale green, totally clear. There is a thin layer of head which fizzes quite loudly and dies to absolutely nothing.

Smell is horrid. It smells like a patch of weeds that a skunk pissed on.

Taste is surprisingly not nearly as bad as the smell. It's slightly sweet, and a little herbal. Hints of skunkiness linger in the taste, and unfortunately when I belch there is a MAJOR skunky aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is not too bad, if you discount the flavor. It's a little cloying on the tongue, though, due to the sweetness.

Drinkability is NOT good. Too many strikes against this one. Oh well.

connecticutpoet, Mar 18, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -31.8%

Clear bottle shows off a lime green liquid. A longer lasting head than soda pop, but otherwise it looks like something from a soda jerk. Lots of carbonation floating upward.

Smells like Underwood Deviled Ham. There's a spice I recognize but I can't describe beyond being green and being a cross between oregano and basil.

Quite sweet with a spicy twang at the swallow--not nearly as bad as the smell might indicate. Still, this isn't beer to me. I love the attempt to do something completely different but this isn't for me.

smcolw, Sep 05, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +20.6%

Verte? “Yep, it’s a “green” beer, because it’s a “genepi” beer, genepi being a flower/alcohol made in the Alps. The head disappeared immediately on the pale green body that depending on how I held the glass reminded me of an apple or more of an avocado. The smell was very herbal and floral; some mint and a round fruitiness that’s hard to describe. The taste was very sweet and floral: some mint syrup, some ginger, and a thicker hoppy aftertaste. Mouthfeel is ok, but closer to weak, too watery. They’re so happy to use Mont Blanc water that they forget to put more other stuff in their beer. Not a bad beer, but one you’d drink out of curiosity rather than out of real addiction.

tjd25, Aug 13, 2004
4.05/5  rDev +41.6%

"I am created with water from the glaciers of Mont Blanc." Made with Génépi which is a general term given by residents from the Alps to several rare, aromatic Alpine plants (such as Artemisia mutellina, Artemisia spicata, Artemisia umbelliformis and Artemisia glacialis)

A-Brilliant, crystal clear, light lime green with a medium white head that reduced to a thin cap and left spotty, silk like lace.

S-Light pear/apple fruitiness, honey, chamomile, mint and lightly sweet biscuit malt. Surprisingly aromatic and complex for such a light beer.

T-Honey sweet up front. Strong herbal bite quickly after with a light medicinal quality. Chamomile, mint and herbal tea. Honeydew melon, pear and apple notes in the background. Finishes with a sharp bitterness and building astringent character.

M-Light bodied, super sharp and crisp with a biting carbonation. Lingering flavour and a building oaky dryness adds to the mystique.

D-Without question the best REAL green beer I have ever had. I first tried this brew at Mondial de la Biere in 2008 and was stoked to find bottles for sale in Virginia. A truly unique, interesting and amazingly complex creation. I see it is rather polarizing in the review numbers but I am slanted towards the drinkable scale!

Deuane, Mar 17, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -12.6%

mungus, Jun 12, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -1%

What's this now?! A beer made with Absinthe? Well hippie dippy doo, I'll bite. Thanks to my buddy Brad for bringing this back from who-knows where.

A. Uh... Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles radioactive GREEN beer, reporting in. Clear. Low white head. This is... interesting. Artificial color? Yeah, most likely. Unusual is an understatement.

S. Bodacious herbal - absinthe / anise is outta bounds here. Bitter, almost minty, quite alpine and either the 'binthe is getting to my brainpan or I'm smelling booze in this 5.9% beer. Really approximates to a

T. Sweet... sort of an unattenuated Belgian sweet-malt pale with a shot and a half of basic absinthe + the sugar. No hops, very herbal and licorice, cheap and soul-less... still, basely fun. It's just weird. Impossible to enjoy as such, but fun as a novelty I 'spose.

M / D. Fizzy, watery. Alpine? Yeah right. I cannot see drinking more than a few ounces of this, so, no.

I can't say I actively *enjoyed* Verte Du Mont Blanc, but... you know what, screw it. I recommend it for sheer puckishness. Long live weird beer. Can we agree on a nominal 3.0 score? Yeah, okay.

kkipple, Dec 24, 2010
1.83/5  rDev -36%

Pours...green. Vapid, artifical green. Head is white, lace is nice, but it's green. I don't want green as a gimmick, and there is no non-gimmick reason for it to be green that would make me interested. No, I do not like green beer, Sam I am.

Woah, holy Mary Mother of God (Get it? Catholic - Irish - green, ah fuhgeddaboutit) Was not actually expecting that. Massive, massive herbal aroma; nearly entirely rosemary, which let's face it is a smell I really like. Not in beer, but as a standalone aroma alright. Maybe a touch of thyme and maybe a hint of aniseed as well. Yeah, look I can't really advocate this smell in beer, but it doesn't make me turn and run. (unlike the colour)

Taste is... less good. Starts slightly lemony and sweet and just gains sweetness momentum like it's plummeting down an incline covered in syrup. Weird, artificial minty flavour on the back is really the only hint of those herbal notes on the nose. Actually a genuinely unsatisfying experience. Tastes underattenuated, watered down, no body to it at all, and just the weirdest herbal flavours are not a match. Pare back the sweetness and let more natural herbal flavourings in and you've got yourself a bizarre, but interesting, beer. With that sweetness what you've got here is a bizarre and bad beer.

I gave green beer a try, I do not like it, Sam I am.

laituegonflable, Feb 04, 2013
3.13/5  rDev +9.4%

Purchased from Plonk in Canberra purely for the novelty value.

Pours, yes indeed, a bright, vivid and slightly disturbing green colour, with a very fine white head that settles out to nothingness. Some streaky lacing forms, and there's actually a pleasantly fine carbonation to it. Looks very interesting.

Nose is spicy and savoury, with odd herbal notes of sage and rosemary. It smells a little like a roast chicken. Faint clear green bite to it giving it a slight minty lift. Given the only other green beer I've had was made with green spirulina and smelled of garbage, this is a great improvement.

Taste is also similarly savoury, and indeed perhaps it's just the sage character and the touch of acidity, but the finish reminds me of juicy chicken stuffing. On the front it has a sweeter, more bubbly, frothy and soda-like tone to it, almost like an alcopop. This is certainly getting more towards offensive rather than just flippantly interesting, but that whimsy still makes you think hard about it.

Overall, yeah, it's not a good beer, but it's not a bad beer, and more importantly, it's interesting in a way that I've not seen before. That has to be worth something at least.

lacqueredmouse, Mar 02, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -10.8%

Oh no - a beer in a clear bottle, which I normally steer clear of [pun sadly intended]. Well I couldn't help but get this as the beer is green, GREEN! The only green beer I've had before are those horrible St Pat's food dyed green beers, so with curiosity piqued to its maximum piqueness I excitedly (but also hesitantly) poured Verte Du Mont Blanc into the glass.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Stein (just recently moved and my Chimay chalice is still packed away in some box, excuses excuses).

A: Well apart from the obvious: that clear lime green body this brew presents with a foamy white head.

S: Wow, 'funky' in a word. It has that barnyard Saison aroma going on; hay, apple peel and musty yeast. There is some herbal fragrance at play, bit of Thyme perhaps? Maybe Rosemary? Ooo and Tarragon. Also noted is a hint of lime. Not sure what to expect now, this beer has me totally out of my comfort zone.

T: Taste is lime upfront, with some overboard mid palate sweetness and hints of mint thrown in as well. Flavour is a little too reminiscent of mouthwash, not the greatest compliment one can pay towards a beer. There are those herbal notes lurking around in the background, not nearly as bitter as a Hop finished brew. It's like some sort of funky sweet herbal Radler.

M: Medium bodied with flat carbonation.

D: I don't think I'm sold on this one. It is an oddity, and not in that David Bowie good weird kind of way, bad weird - like if someone had decided to invent a beer mouthwash, yuck. Which is a bit of a shame because I liked Brasserie Distillerie Du Mont Blanc's Blonde Du Mont Blanc [don't ask me to say that last sentence out loud]. Perhaps if this brew was a bit less sweet with a more intense herbal flavour like Orval it would work better for me.

Food match: I keep thinking about brushing my teeth never mind eating anything with this beer.

doktorhops, Jun 13, 2014
2.53/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Beer bottle (33cl.), tasted in 2003.

Appearance : green color !, without any foam ?
Smell : alcohol flavored with "génépi".
Taste and mouthfeel : all is génépi
Drinkability : original beverage but which has more beer than the name, as the génépi dominates.

thierrynantes, Nov 23, 2008
1.85/5  rDev -35.3%

330ml poured in a chalice.

A: As far as I can remember, that's the first time that I drink a green beer. That's a quite "uncommon" color for a beer, Right? Well... I was saying... Pours a pale green color (reminded me an absinthe) with a small white head which dissipates quickly leaving few to no lacings

S: Smell is also "unusual", quite grassy. Herbs (chamomile) and mint (or something similar). Some malty grains can also be felt

T: Taste is really the weak point of it. Sweet, first of all (somebody could tell me why French people put so much sugar in their beers? Ok, Belgians do it too but, between us: Belgians do know how to do it! :p). It tastes like somebody put a mint drop into a Lager beer. Besides, no hops and no bitterness :(. Metallic end is just to remind you that: Yes, this is a beer

M: Very light body. Quality water, I suppose. Reasonable carbonation

O: VERY low drinkability. I would not call it a beer but a disaster... And I'm trying to be kind. Let's make a deal here, if we avoid drinking this beer, we can save the water from the glaciers, right? It's a noble cause! ;-)

eduardolinhalis, Oct 25, 2010
3.25/5  rDev +13.6%

jaasen64, Jan 14, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -12.6%

Maxilouis, May 03, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +39.2%

Yes, verte means green. Interesting to say the least. The flavours remind me of eucalyptus. My friend told me it was tasting like a medecine cabinet. Frankly, he has no taste buds. This beer has a different taste and I think it's a rather pleasing one.

So, on appearance it's quite funky. Green not a lot of foam head. No bubbles visible.

Smells like some cough drops like the brown Vick's. ;-)

Taste is quite surprising. Yes, it tastes like it smells but thet's just a different approach. It's actually quite enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is, unlike it's appearance, quite lively. The carbonation is adequate. No afertaste whatsoever.

If I had to have this beer available year'round, I'd give it a few spin. I think it's a different beer and a satisfying one.

LeTonneau, May 30, 2008
4.06/5  rDev +42%

I will say, if you aren't a connoisseur of Genépi, you might be thrown off.

I think if you've never had Genépi, get some, then try the beer. Otherwise you might be left scratching your head since your palate will be unfamiliar with the whole experience.

I've been buying and drinking Genépi ever since I first had it, and its sister Chartreuse. So the lime green, its fairly familiar.

For me, this alien green stuff is just delicious, and the color, I'm proud to pour myself a glass and wander through a party with distinction.

The smell is ok, and for me I'd prefer maybe a touch more carbonation. Living in Switzerland, the beer choice in the shop is pretty awful, but the Coop down the street has the Verte in the bottle. I will buy some today! Give the Brasserie du Mont Blanc beers a shot, they've hit the spot for me many times.

BretW, Jun 15, 2013
4.28/5  rDev +49.7%

My roomate (tomxcs) comes back from France with 4 beers and, when asked what they were like, he simply said, "Yeah, it's a green beer, and it's really gross." Okay...

Comes in a clear 330mL bottle, drink before 16.11.05, and the back text translates roughly to:

"I am created with water from the glaciers of Mont Blanc. The source l'Enchapleuze (2074 m. altitude), from the same side of Mont Blanc, is my birthplace. The Green one of Mont Blanc is an original creation marrying our genepi of the Alps with the excellence of the beers which has made our reputation. The result? Green, fine and light, the best of the Alps in your glass... to your health!"

Pours out, for the first time ever, light, crystal clear, and tinted green. Sits a bright lime green in the glass with a large white head that fades quickly to a light skim, holding onto the edges of the glass. Silky lacings climb around the glass, holding on where they can.

Smells light, fruity and refreshing. Watermelon rinds (the white flesh) paired with light, minty whipped cream. Truly herbal all around. Hints of pear juice, mango and starfuit appear as well. A curious mix of herbs with a soft, dry malty core.

Tastes sugary sweet up front. Candy-like sweetness builds up around the mouth, bringing with it a stream of tropical fruit flavors. Starfuit and mango are quite prominent. A mild, herbal induced bitterness breaths out a fresh wind of tea leaves, mint and sage. Raw, unadultered coriander. If I knew what Genepi tasted like, I'm sure this is it. More sugary sweetness and more fruitiness. Fruit salad in a glass. Ripe watermelon, honeydew melon, and soft, sweet apples. Finishes with the faintest remnants of a bitter touch, mouth completely slathered in fruit juices, now curiously addicted.

Light bodied, crisp and wildly refreshing. Carbonation is soft, delicate and in good presence. Runs around the mouth with the wind at its heels.

Poor introduction, I actually enjoyed this beer. Minus the sugary sweetness that really dominates the taste, and thus makes it less quaffable, this beer offers a many interesting marriages of flavors. If ever in France, and looking for something tasty, interesting and freaking GREEN, pick this one up. I would surely do the same if the opportunity presented itself.

Skidz, Jan 18, 2005