Sara Buckwheat Ale - Brasserie De Silenrieux S.A. (Chez L'Père Sarrasin)

Sara Buckwheat AleSara Buckwheat Ale

good

Brasserie De Silenrieux S.A. (Chez L'Père Sarrasin) visit their website

Witbier |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-25-2002

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 53 | Reviews: 43
3.4/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance: Ouch...An amber, bronze, fecal matter nightmare with just a faint cling of head and a ton of green/grey sediment. I usually don't mind a bit of sediment, but this one was just aweful.

Smell: At least it doesn't smell as bad as it looks! Like buckwheat pancakes with a splash of port, some peatyness and it smelled dusty like in an old library.

Taste: Smooth and creamy, like most Beers brewed with buckwheat, it had a yeasty, spicy finish, cloves perhaps.

3.45/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

BB end 2007. Some head tha's quiet instable and a (dark)brown beercollor. Nose is peppery, blue cheese hint of candysugar and caramellic malted. Taste is very dry, litle sour, buckwheat and malty with caramellic note and quiet bitter. Bitterness is hanging and misses litle body. Not a bad brew and well drinkable but just missing something to make it into a good beer. Good carbonisation but empty and watery mouthfeel makes it easy drinkable though. Gets better when warming up but seen better examples of buckwheat malt. No way this is a witbier though, IMO more a belgium dark ale.

2.39/5  rDev -32.3%

ABV says 6% right on the bottle so I assume the abv listed here is from a previous edition or possibly a different version of some sort. A sticky/spritzy head is one thing but this is out of control. Cork practically came off on its own. Way over carbonated. My first pour I had to toss it down the drain as it was almost completely Fizz....the second pour I did with the absolute most gentle pour I could do and the head was still 50% of the glass. The head is so dense and unyeilding that its a joy just to recieve liquid on the taste buds. This beer was not spoiled and I'm sure the brewer takes pride in this so I won't go into how pissed I am right now as I looked forward to this baby. Yeast/citrus are the main aroma's and the taste is similair. Citrus/orange flavor dominate the palate. Drinking beer to me shouldn't be a battle, it should be relaxing but this one is just too much work. pass.

3.71/5  rDev +5.1%

Wouldn't have called this a witbier, but definetly would have found it dunkel weissen-ish. Pours an orange, copper, cloudy color, with a good 2 finger head. Lasting through the whole 750ml bottle. Nice lacing. Some sediment found at the end, yeasties? Very yeasty and fruity smelling. Estery? Not sure what buckwheat smells like, but this definetly tastes like a wheat beer. Didn't find any corriander or clove flavors. More fruit, like bananas. Lots of grain flavor too. Mouthfeel was well carbonated, full flavored, but light for a darker beer. Really enjoyed this one, and would drink it again. Didn't taste like it was 6% either. Well balanced flavors.

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

07/07/05- Purchased at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, CA

Presentation- 750ml bottle. Caged and corked with no dating. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Amber-orange colored pour. Huge 2 inch head, very creamy indeed. Very nice lacing.

Smell- Had a bit of the so called barnyard funk going one. Some fruit scent to be sure, plus some spices that I can't put my finger on.

Taste- The first thing I noticed was an orange peel taste along with a good portion of corriander and other undefined spices. It had an overall taste that tasted different than any other beer I have tried. I'm guessing that was the buckwheat.

Mouthfeel- Moderate carbonation. Sticky sweet and a semi-full mouthfeel.

Drinkability- Hits harder than a 5% abv beer. Makes you think you are drinking something a bit more heavy. Nice flavors and texture. Something I may buy again in the future.

3.97/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a murky ruddy brown with a huge blooming slightly off-white head,intense lemony aroma with a touch of that barnyard funk found in some lambics with some toasted grain undertones.Flavors are much drier when compared to the aromas very grainy and nicely spicey with some light smoke in the finish.A nice find today toolin around town a good summer quaffer with some interesting dry flavors going on.

4.49/5  rDev +27.2%

I guess, first-off, Buckwheat is a fruit (related to Rhubarb); not a grain.

No pop with cork opening. Hazy peach-ish color with a low off-white head and low carbonation. Tons of sediment on bottom. Very nice Belgian malt-yeast balanced aroma and flaovr; light dubbel-ish character all around with lots of raisins/fruit. Light-medium bodied with a light creaminess.

Buckwheat dosn't seem to stand out much but overall very good and very drinkable ... just a bit pricey.

Label states: "Certified Organic"

($7.49 / 25.4 oz. corked and caged champagne style bottle)

3.68/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pops open with a "Pwik!'

Murky brown amber pour with slow champagne bubbles rising to a thick taunt inch head cap that leaves a ton of lace coating. The last pour was as thick as a milkshake with a thousand scrod chunkers.

Yeasty spicy nutmeg scents and rye bread. Vanilla malts. Woody flavors with some ginger, coconut and banana. Dry yet lingering aftertaste of tropical fruits.

Smooth feel. Gentle carbonation. Buttery feel that coats me tongue like heavy cream.

An intriguing yet tongue coating so-so brew.

Last swigs: A one dimensional tropical fruit drink. of table sugar vanilla. Nothing special. Just for the curious.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

This organic, 22 oz, corked and caged, bottle pours a murky, saddle leather brown that is apricot when held to the light. Two finger, offwhite, head is tightknit and longlasting, eventually leaving some nice patch lace. The final pour revealed a few, suspended particles of yeast.
Aroma is very spicy, with coriander, pepper, and a dash of clove. Musty yeast is also apparent.
Mouthfeel is highly carbonated, with a medium body.
Taste begins with a tart, fruity note akin to cherry/lemon. A rack of spices quickly takes over, with pepper, coriander, and ginger prominent. Husky grain is the backbone, with a pronounced earthy yeastiness. Finish and aftertaste are dominated by a bitter combo of coriander and yeast.
This is much like a dark wheat beer. Plenty of grain taste to balance the strong yeast and spice presence. Pleasing taste, overall, and good drinkability.

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

75 cl bottle; organic version. Pours a turbid pale copper color with an unbelievable light beige head that lasts forever. I poured and walked away for 5 minutes and it looks the same, a thumb-widths head. as it goes down, excellent lacing left behind. Something I'd expect of a beer brewed wholly from a grain cousin to wheat (known for excellent head retention). Aroma's mostly lemony and husky with some yeasty funk going on, bordering a hefty saison or something like Corsendonk Pale or Rare Vos. Warm, subtle malt in the aroma, too. Sweet upfront, but dry and palatable, with a slight citrusy zing and a yeastiness that's very unique, yet reminiscent. The bottle clearly lists the ABV at 6.0%, and I hope I'm reviewing the right beer, for some reason, beacuse I wasn't in the understanding that this beer would be categorized as a witbier, I fancied it more a specialty grain ale... But I guess there's no other Sara, so I'm not worried, just objective. That being said, I don't pick up on and coriander, which seems to sometime typify to witbier style. Nonetheless, this is a thoroughly enjoyable brew, especially for summer and as autumn begins. Healthy carbonation keeps it crisp, and a pillowy, soft mouthfeel is achieved throughout.

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Well Sara is a lively lass, well carbonated and topped by a thick, flowing prodigiously locked tan head. Copper in color with perhaps a light haze to it. A solid grainy, grassy aroma, along with a bit of interesting spicy character is found in the nose. As I explore the aroma a bit more I detect a nuttiness and some fruity notes, with banana and peach predominant. Sara has a lightly sweet taste up front and finishes with a bit of astringency. There is a certain mustiness here and a certain spiciness as well. This beer has a certain something to it that I can't quite place (it is a note in the aftertaste that is just different). If not for this note, this would be a pretty straight forward beer. This beer does need a little bit something more to balance out the up front sweetness. Overall, I do like this, it could just use a bit more complexity.

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

This beer was a beautiful amber out of the bottle and into the glass. A slight lacey head climbed up to the top of the glass as I was drinking, a nice effect.

The smell is an unobstrusive, light fruity one, which went along with its smooth mouthfeel. A little bit of carbonation.

The taste is a remarkable, bitter grainy one, very very good in my opinion. A pure taste of buckwheat that is completely drinkable. There is a sensation when drinking that it is a cousin to hard cider or some fresh harvest brew of days gone by. Highly drinkable and enjoyable. I wish I had another one here.

I drank the non-organic brew of Sara. I believe I noticed an organic version as well, which is a future purchase.

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a hazy light brown with a small lacy head. Smells yeasty and fruity with hints of apple.

Taste is quite unusual. It's grainy but not in texture, just tastes alot like raw grain. Sweet undertones, lightly fruity. Bitter finish. Unmistakeable flavor of buckwheat throughout. Once I got used to this new flavor it wasn't a bad brew. Doubt I would get this one much but it is certified organic. Would be an interesting beer for thanksgiving of a dinner with farm fresh foods.

1.76/5  rDev -50.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I originally sampled this beer on 13 November 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
I really did Not enjoy this beer. It was overly carbonated. It had a no aroma. The flavor was bland. All in all, from my perspective, it was a loser. There are so many better belgians, this one should be avoided

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

Brewery Visit - 24th April 2000.

Tried on draft in the Café, which is next to the Brewery, the Chez L’Père Sarrasin. Limited Notes.

Sara, 6% ABV.
Amber-Red, sweetish, wheat beer, this time made with buckwheat, quite unique and hard to describe except as very spicy and dry. More maintsream in tastes than the Jospeh and the preferred beer of our party of 31, from the 3 offerings from Silenrieux during our visit.

3.41/5  rDev -3.4%

I bought the bottle simply because I'd never had a buckwheat beer. The cork was hell to remove...ended up using a corkscrew.
The beer pours with a fizzy, soda-like head dissapears right away. The color is a dark, slightly transparent brown. The most apealing feature of the beer is the aroma. It smells something like a grist mill: a sweet, grainy, musty smell that is actually quite pleasant. Unfortunately, the beer is also one-dimentional. Flat, shallow, not at all complex. It's a little sweet and malty, and the aroma carachter sticks with the beer through the aftertaste. It's worth a try, but it's not outstanding.

3.01/5  rDev -14.7%

I've been making beer with buckwheat as an ingredient for my wife, who can't have barley. When she brought this home, we were both excited to try it. Unfortunately, it didn't didn't meet our expectations. It has an earthy smell and taste that is not altogether unpleasant. However, it lacks subtlety and complexity. Beers I have brewed including corn, sorghum, and/or quinoa along with the buckwheat have produced a better result. On the positive side, it does have a nice gold color and a long-lasting head. I'm sure my wife will go back for more when we're out of gluten-free homebrew. I, on the other hand, will be sticking with the good old barley-based brews.

3.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Sarasin is French for buckwheat - hence the name Sara. I'm guessing this is a wheat style ale, its the only beer I have heard made with buckwheat. High carbonation, long lasting head, cloudy, apple (yeast) overtones, very drinkable. Organic, $8.99 for 750ml, U.S. importer is WIT - IT - TOO Inc.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Sara Buckwheat Ale from Brasserie De Silenrieux S.A. (Chez L'Père Sarrasin)