Sara Buckwheat Ale - Brasserie De Silenrieux S.A. (Chez L'Père Sarrasin)

Sara Buckwheat AleSara Buckwheat Ale

good

Brasserie De Silenrieux S.A. (Chez L'Père Sarrasin) visit their website

Witbier |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-25-2002)
Suds

3.4/5  rDev -4%

I bought the bottle simply because I'd never had a buckwheat beer. The cork was hell to remove...ended up using a corkscrew.
The beer pours with a fizzy, soda-like head dissapears right away. The color is a dark, slightly transparent brown. The most apealing feature of the beer is the aroma. It smells something like a grist mill: a sweet, grainy, musty smell that is actually quite pleasant. Unfortunately, the beer is also one-dimentional. Flat, shallow, not at all complex. It's a little sweet and malty, and the aroma carachter sticks with the beer through the aftertaste. It's worth a try, but it's not outstanding.

09-01-2002 12:41:57 | More by Suds
mickeymac

I've been making beer with buckwheat as an ingredient for my wife, who can't have barley. When she brought this home, we were both excited to try it. Unfortunately, it didn't didn't meet our expectations. It has an earthy smell and taste that is not altogether unpleasant. However, it lacks subtlety and complexity. Beers I have brewed including corn, sorghum, and/or quinoa along with the buckwheat have produced a better result. On the positive side, it does have a nice gold color and a long-lasting head. I'm sure my wife will go back for more when we're out of gluten-free homebrew. I, on the other hand, will be sticking with the good old barley-based brews.

04-08-2002 22:48:27 | More by mickeymac
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Sarasin is French for buckwheat - hence the name Sara. I'm guessing this is a wheat style ale, its the only beer I have heard made with buckwheat. High carbonation, long lasting head, cloudy, apple (yeast) overtones, very drinkable. Organic, $8.99 for 750ml, U.S. importer is WIT - IT - TOO Inc.

03-25-2002 18:27:17 | More by jdhilt
Sara Buckwheat Ale from Brasserie De Silenrieux S.A. (Chez L'Père Sarrasin)