Left Coast Hop Juice - Left Coast Brewing Company

Left Coast Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: tonistruth on 09-05-2007

Ratings: 841 | Reviews: 278
1.35/5  rDev -62.3%

Appearance is hazy, dark strawberry blonde with an off-white head with long last, leaving nice lace. Nice color.

Smell is citrus hops and then very dirty, cheap vodka like alcohol.

Taste is similar - very sweet, dry, fusally hoppy beer - like an IPA fortified with cheap vodka. So bad, it's a bit nauseating, which is very disappointing with a tempting name like hop juice from a cali brewery, that I now realize why I've never heard of...

Mouthfeel is dry and slick.

Drinkability is terrible. A very poorly executed beer, in spite of the tempting name and story about being one of the original DIPAs. If this is what it tasted like then, they've really failed to evolve. Total drain pour, I had maybe 3 oz. of this bomber. Probably my lowest rated beer every (I think a Left Hand RIS was similarly plagued by dirty booze).

1.42/5  rDev -60.3%

Looks good in the glass. Plenty of foamy/ rocky head. No hops in the nose. None. Zero. Smell of dirty feet instead. Took a sip and I can't taste any hops either. Maybe it's an old bottle but I don't think so. It's super hot/ boozy. I can hardly get this one down. What a huge disappointment.

1.5/5  rDev -58.1%

Drain Pour

1.68/5  rDev -53.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I'll be straight forward. The taste is all that matters to me. So keep that in mind when reading my reviews. I simply did not care for the particulate floating around. And much like a kiddo drinking OJ with pulp, my hate for the floating bits did not subside. Rather, my dislike for a beer that not only had nasty bits to the point of almost chewing, it also did not have a flavor which sparked with my Porter loving palate. Maybe I can enjoy IPAs but perhaps double IPAs are too much for me.

1.98/5  rDev -44.7%

Slightly tarnished yelow gold body. Some haziness. Level two fingers of white tight foam.

Pleasant grapefruit backed by pine aroma. Lacks the fierce assertiveness I was expecting.

Malt doesn't establish a foothole as much as collapses after the first step. The juicy citrus hops immediately take over and have a big bite at the swallow. In the aftertaste though the citrus recedes and the pine goes from pleasant to industrial cleanser.

Decent mouthfeel. Finish absolutely destroys drinkability.

The brief middle isn't worth the start and finish of this beer. This is one DIPA you can pass on.

2.01/5  rDev -43.9%

Maybe I don't have an experienced enough palate, but this beer just seems unnecessarily over-hopped. No balance here, just tons of bitterness.

Interestingly, I see several reviews mentioning that the hops are not present enough?

Well, I guess taste is very subjective and relative to a baseline... some see a glass half full and some see...

I won't be buying it again.

2.06/5  rDev -42.5%

ABV 9.7%

Poured into a claret.

Appearance-Burnt orange, lots of haze. One finger soapy off white head with very nice lacing. Lots of bubbles still clinging to the perimeter of the glass.

Smell-Fresh bottle as far as I know, and getting alot of caramel and chocolate malts, not so much hops. I get some grapefruit, lemon and pine in the backround. I thought this beer was dry hopped?

Taste-Damn. Huge unpleasant bitterness. This is just bitter as fuck, no balanced at all. Completely slapped in the face with hops and back of the throat is just burning. So dry, carbonation can't even help this. I guess I'm getting some light grapefruit but something is wrong with this beer.

...Even as this beer warms it gets worse...

Mouthfeel-Prickly, numbing and horrible. Not sure If I can drink much more of this.

Overall-Hands Down the worst IIPA I have EVER had. No balance, just slapped with bitterness, no malt, no fruit little sweetness. I'm going to try and finish the half of bomber that I poured, and will most likely drain pour the rest. The fact that you can get a Hop Stoopid for 4 bucks there is no reason for this beer to ever be purchased. EVER.

2.15/5  rDev -39.9%

Bottle

Liquor Stop
San Marcos, CA

A clear amber body with a touch of haze throughout the beer. A half inch high head that sticks around, eventually leaving sticky webs of lacing down the glass. Very pretty beer.

Although that's where the fun stops...

This beer has some pleasant floral notes and I also smell some banana peel. The hot alcohol is present in the nose and only becomes more pronounced as the beer warms. Whatever is here that is pleasant is overshadowed and dominated by the strong smell of hot alcohol.

This beer is a bitter, bitter beast. While I do love a bitter monster, (Port Hop 15 comes to mind) this one is decidedly unpleasant. Starts highly bitter, and then the beer moves into a very unpleasant place dominated by alcohol harshness and high astringency.

Relatively thick mouthfeel.

I did not enjoy this beer. It's a bitter beast, but tastes and smells of burning alcohol. Unpleasant.

I drank this beer a few years ago and drain-poured it with many similar complaints. I wanted to revisit it again to give it another chance, but the beer has not improved, and after enjoying so many DIPAs since, this one actually seems even worse now than it did then. It's not for me.

2.19/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Pours deep amber. OK clarity. Ok head retention.

Smells like hop candy. Sweetness looms behind herbal hops. Boozy alcohol on the nose. Citrusy and piney hops.

Whoa, caramel comes out to play! Prickly alcohol and bitterness, with a long bittersweet finish. Slight metallic finish.

Thick full body. Chewy for sure. Low carbonation.

No date on this bottle so I can't be sure how old it is, but this is tough to drink. Even as an American Barleywine this would be hard to give a good score, but it's closer to that style than anything.

2.25/5  rDev -37.2%

This beer poured a hazy golden copper with a 1 finger high off-white head. The head dissipated quickly and minimal lacing was observed. The initial smell of the beer was apple juice and hints of alcohol. I know that the hops were the cause for this bizarre smell and the malts were barely detectable. The initial taste of the beer was a burnt caramel with slight malts, additionally it tasted boozy. This brew had a medium to full body and was dry.

This is the worst DIPA that I have ever tried, not sure if anyone read the bottle, but they claim to have invented the first DIPA. Being that the case, you'd think that they could get the style right. I would not recommend anyone to try this beer.

2.32/5  rDev -35.2%

This beer was way too malty. There wasn't enough hop to cut through it. I didn't like this one.

2.32/5  rDev -35.2%

the appearannce of this one is a little disappointing. it pours a light golden color with a soft white head that dissipates quickly. some amber touches to the edges, but overall resembles a pilsner.

there is a faint hop aroma emanating from the glass. its barely perceptible, however, and is accompanied by small doses of citrus fruitiness and a maltiness that promises to "balance" the beer, though this isn't really desirable.

Wow. not impressed at all. waaay to hot for a DIPA. 9.4% here rivals the alcohol burn of BCS and 120 minute. the alcohol asserts itself as the dominate force over the other flavors, that, though hidden, can be identified as oranges, pineapple, and a bitter hoppiness in the finish that serves as a reminder that you're drinking a beer and not a fruity cocktail made with a double shot. none of the flavors blend and the beer seems to fall apart on the palate. this is a wreck.

as previously stated, the beer is much to hot, and, further, is undercarbonated. drinkability is enough to get me through this bottle, but only because its buzzing me nicely and i want to keep it going. put this on the "do not purchase again" list.

edit: ended up being a drain pour. i've lowered the score accordingly.

2.33/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a slightly cloudy copper body with a thich, sudsy looking white head.

Citurs and pine sap on the nose. For a DIPA that is supposed to be severely dry hopped, I was hoping for more. I've had Pale Ales with a larger hop scent.

If the aroma was a mild letdown, the flavor is a tragedy. Alcohol is pervasive. There is an astringent character that goes far beyond simple bitterness. Sweet malt is reminiscent of American Barleyine. Hops come and go in flashes, but never land a solid blow. The finish is like cheap whiskey, boozy, but not in that good warming sort of way.

If you have to slam it like you're shooting McCormick Vodka at a frat party to get through a bottle, its not a good beer. I won't be finishing my glass, let alone the bottle.

I don't know what they did wrong with this beer, but it seems like they keep doing it. After reading other reviews, it doesn't sound like my experience was an isolated incident or the result of a bad batch. While plenty of BAs seem to think its decent, it sounds like the shock I currently feel is a rather common reaction to this product.

I hate to be mean. I know someone worked long, hard hours to make this beer and I respect anyone willing to dedicate their life to commercial brewing. It is not any easy thing to do. But this is bad.

Avoid this beer. I won't be carrying it at my store and as it is currently constituted, I would recommend others take a pass as well. You may be able to pass this off on someone with little experience with IPAs and they mat not notice its flaws and simply drink it as a source of alcohol, but I think most experienced beer drinkers will notice right away, there is something wrong with Hop Juice.

2.35/5  rDev -34.4%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pour a golden yellow, just a shade or 2 darker than a pils, with a firm, rocky white head with good retention, not a lot of lace, has a standard DIPA look.

S: Smell is promising, get a huge jolt of pine and citrus on opening the bottle, once poured a mint and spice mix comes out.

T: I have a bit of a problem here. Hop flavours are overall tasty, but were definitely muted, compared to what I expect in this style, prosaic compared to what is coming out of San Diego right now. Has good pine notes, but too much peppermint takes over in the end, making the flavour 1-dimensional and boring. Get some bitter lemon zest and medicinal elements in there that I really wasn't in to as well. When it warmed up a bit it was not fun to drink.

M: Mouthfeel is too light for the style, watery, resiny, with a long aftertaste, mild solvent character.

D: Dissapointed about this one since I had heard good things about it in the past. Hate to give a lower review to a local brewer, but in my opinion, this is just not up to par. With all the great DIPA's in CA, I don't think I will revisit this one.

2.44/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz bottle. Pours a clear golden yellow with a smallish bubbly white head the goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet caramel malts and tropical fruits and some floral hops and some stinkiness.

The flavor is some sweet malts followed by an almost minty hoppiness that is combined with tropical fruits. The result is kind of strange. It has quite a bit of bitterness that lingers in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a little watery.

Overall, this was much better when I had it on tap at Falling Rock. On tap it was more of a solid traditional DIPA with no mint and tropical fruits.

2.46/5  rDev -31.3%

Bottled: unk

A: Pours amber ale with two fingers of faded caramel foam which slowly falls to a quilt of the same. Ringed sheets of lacing. Good looker.

S: Tangerines, pine, a bit of floral character (soapy). Some distantly sweet malts in the back.

T: Hmm, was this done with belgian yeast?! Has a yeasty, coriander like flavor I often associate with tripels. Otherwise, quite bitter with creamy sweetness off the malt/weird flavor. Some peppery sage like flavors. Not really digging this as a DIPA

M: Medium on heavy body for the style. Moderately smooth and lifeless carbonation.

O: Really surprised by this beer, with a name like hop juice, I thought this would be a little more complex. Huh, guess I got sold. Not a very good beer.

2.47/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Not sure if it was a bad bottle but poured it down the drain. No balance at all.

2.51/5  rDev -29.9%

9/10/2011

On tap at Oggi's Carmel Mountain.

A: Hazy dark orange with a big beige head.

S: Sweet caramel with bread and sugar. Blah. Some grapefruit.

T: Sugary caramel with bread, pine, and grapefruit. The beer is malt heavy. Bitterness is at a moderate level.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is sticky and dry.

Overall: Too sweet. Too much malt. Too little hop character. IPAs like this should be exterminated.

2.52/5  rDev -29.6%

Purchased at BevMo! in Brea on 8/24/2008.

A- Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter, this beer pours a hazy yellowish-orange color with a moderate white head that settles to a patchy layer. Each sip yields a few sheets of lacing.

S- Not what I was expecting at all. The aroma is chemically-sweet and sugary with very little presence of citrusy or piney hops. There are faint notes of pineapple, but I'm mainly getting a strong malt presence backed by a good dose of alcohol. There is a somewhat artificial quality to the smell of this beer.

T- The taste is only a slight upgrade from the aroma. The sweet malt backing has a strange aspartame-like quality that dominates the flavor before a lasting hop bitterness kicks in. The alcohol provides a substantial warming sensation on the finish, which is dry and very bitter tasting on the palate. As the beer warms, the alcohol really starts to punch through in the taste.

M- The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with moderate carbonation bubbles.

D- The 9.4% ABV is not well-hidden. Plus, the smell and the flavor of this beer are chemical-like and medicinal, making this a chore to drink.

This one was a miss for me.

2.53/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

A- Finger and a half white creamy head. Nice retention. Little lacing. Semi-cloudy copper color.

S- Big, citrusy hops. Not much else.

T- Metallic tang of bitterness. Punch in the taste buds. Balance isn't there.

M- Heavy carbonation and fluffy feel. Dry.

O- Nothing really terrible, but not a good beer.

2.55/5  rDev -28.8%

Opened 22 fluid ounce bomber bottle, poured into nonic glass.

Pours an interesting "head" that is rather low, yet seems to form bubbles in suspension just under surface of the brew (I've never seen this before). Brew is a hazy amber color.

Smell is of hops - much lighter than other DIPAs that I've tried. Taste improves on hops with slight citrus notes - but beer is no where near as hoppy as name would imply. Finish is OK, but not balanced with the 9.4% ABV (as listed on bottle). It almost taste like someone has poured some vodka in my beer - but I know this has not happened because there is no one else here. I'm not weak - I've had DIPAs (even DFH 120) and never tasted as much alcohol.

Unfortunately, not all beers can be great.

2.56/5  rDev -28.5%

Really disappointed in this. Grabbed from BevMo and I am hoping this is not fresh. Carbonation is light. Bold aromas and flavors that are unpleasant. Like honey with weird sweetness. Hop flavors are so strong but out of balance. The alcohol does not work here. More like boozie hop extract. Just didn't work for me. The bitterness and metallic quality sticks with you for 15 minutes.

2.57/5  rDev -28.2%

Review from notes on 12/5/09

A - poured clear golden tangerine with a well formed, frothy, off-white head. Very nice lacing adorning the glass. Good retention. 4.5

S - Smells very sweet. Lots of maltiness and a hint of citrus. Not what I expect of something called "Hop Juice". Not much going on here... 2.5

T - Wow very sweet. Lots of honey, malts, and a touch of American barleywine type of fruitiness. The delayed hops come after all of that in the form of pine and bitterness. With that said, the beer is very one-dimensional. Where's the fruit/earthy/grassy/piney/grapefruity hop bomb? Disappointing to say the least. 2.5

M - Relatively light bodied, touch of slickness and well carbonated. Very hot in the finish. Lingering burn of alcohol. 3.0

D - Eh, the taste department can definitely be improved. Not very good. A sipper, if anything. 2.0

2.61/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

22 ounce bomber, $4.25 at Plaza Liquors, Tucson, AZ. Bottle states 9.4% ABV, no date indicated.

Appearance: deep copper to medium orange, limited light beige head.

Aroma: As soon as I started to pop the cap, I smelled fairly intense hops, like opening a bag of fresh C-hops from the homebrew store. Some grain and malt sweetness in the glass, and a sweet, sharp tangy note.

Taste: Wow -- grain, grain, grain. An overpowering grain taste blocks out almost everything else. Something like shredded wheat, or some other deeply grainy cereal grain. Did I mention grain? Also a little sweet maltiness, and a earthy hop note that is muted relative to the maltiness. The grain is like spent grain after brewing, but really not very pleasant. Think the spent grain after it has sat for a day or so, when you're too lazy to clean out your mash tun.

Mouth: Slick and fairly full, little alcohol warmth noted, especially given the high ABV.

Overall: Interesting, but terribly imbalanced, and not something I'd buy again. It's hard to see the difficult taste as spoiled, and it doesn't taste lightstruck, but it's also difficult to imagine that this intensely, harsh, almost nasty grainy taste is what the brewer wanted me to taste.

2.61/5  rDev -27.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear light amber color; the inch of head hangs around for a while but doesn't leave that much lacing behind

Smell: Caramel and fusel alcohol buttressed by a waft of piney hops; grassy, overall

Taste: Starts off very aggressively, with a load of sweet candied grapefruit and a lot of fusel aloohol; the bitterness continues to build through mid-palate and after the swallow, but the profile is dominated by this odd combination of sugary sweetness, assertive bitterness and alcohol burn

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation

Overall: Was excited to try this one on the name alone, but what a disappointment; I just don't think these flavors blend together at all - they fight each other and the loser is my palate

Left Coast Hop Juice from Left Coast Brewing Company