Asylum - Left Coast Brewing Company

good

good

Left Coast Brewing Company visit their website

Tripel |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 02-04-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Asylum Alström Bros

1.36/5  rDev -61.6%

1.75/5  rDev -50.6%

2.17/5  rDev -38.7%

Radiant tangerine orange with lemon zest accents and a light sprinkling of fine yeast. The ivory colored head is a mass of glassine bubbles that remains humped in the center and is beginning to lay down delicate sheets of sticky lace around the circumference of the glass. Unfortunately, neither head nor lace last very long.

The aroma is underpowered, though it is passably tripel-like. Oddly enough, it's becoming even more muted as the beer warms. Golden fruity and lightly spicy were my impressions when I had the opportunity to form them. Right about mid-bottle, fusel alcohol comes out to play, slashing the score even further.

Left Coast beer has never impressed me. Black Magic Stout is slightly above average, Hop Juice DIPA is considerably below average, and Torrey Pines IPA is an abomination. Asylum is at least as bad as the last of those. Maybe worse. This is not good beer.

First of all, why jack the ABV all the way up to 11.0% when you obviously have no skill in alcohol masking? One member of the flavor profile is kerosene, which acts as a fly in this less than delicious ointment. Actually, the beer does taste a little like ointment at that.

If blinded, I would have guessed 'Belgian-style tripel mixed with Euro strong lager, brewed by some crappy brewery in Romania or Bulgaria'. Seriously, do these guys taste their beer before bottling it? In addition to grain alcohol, we have a few slices of ripe pear and the suggestion of clove and white pepper.

Simply put, the body/mouthfeel is malt liquor-like. It's medium in heft, slightly sticky from the sugar, and is firm rather than creamy. The same lack of carbonation that failed head retention fails to add any sort of positive energy in the mouth.

Asylum Belgian-Style Tripel Ale might be the worst beer of this style that I've ever had the displeasure to drink. Anyone who thinks that this is what a tripel should taste like needs to be committed to the insane asylum. Shame on you Left Coast.

2.2/5  rDev -37.9%

I bought this beer mostly because it was cheap, bad idea. It smelled grainy and nothing like a tripel. It tasted like a very oxidized barleywine that used Belgian yeast. The alcohol was unbearable. This was try a bad beer and I would not buy it again. It really does nit fit the style either.

2.28/5  rDev -35.6%

2.4/5  rDev -32.2%

The beer looked great. I poured it into my goblet and it was a beautiful amber orange with a great looking head. Smell was slightly sweet but it didn't really prepare me for the taste I was about to experience. The first sip made my pallet lurch forward. This beer is so sweet, that it's almost overwhelming. It was so sweet I didn't even bother trying to find other flavors. That was the hardest goblet of beer i've ever had to finish. Mouthfeel was so thick and stick. It felt like it coated every inch of my esophagus. What is this maple syrup?

2.53/5  rDev -28.5%

22oz bomber at 55° and rising.

A - 4.5
Clear, not very carbonated.

S - 3.0
Smells grainy. I don't get much off the nose.

T - 2.0
Oh boy. This was tasted on 1/29/09 and I just didn't like it. I'd like to revisit it later.

MF - 3.0
Average is a good description. Just not good... after the taste, my after taste on tongue play was just not that great but not terrible.

D - 2.5
4oz taster was enough.

Was our sample too warm? Jeez. I'll chill it to 40°F next time.

2.58/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Hazy orange color. Thick, white head with good retention. Good lacing.

S - Very strong alcohol, pepper, and phenols. Honey notes when swirled.

T - Citrus, sugar, phenols, and alcohol. Lots of alcohol. I feel like I can breathe fire. Way too earthy.

M - Very crisp. Seems to lose carbonation quickly.

O - I think one glass was enough.

Yup, tried another glass. Not impressed.

2.71/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured a thin head on a hazy, dark straw colored body.
The aroma is overripe fruit, candy-like.
The taste is quite sweet overall with some pear and apple. Finishes with an alcohol warmth.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
It's a very sweet tasting beer without any of the complexities and balance of a good tripel.

2.73/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

From a 12 oz bottle into a Belgian snifter.

Cloudy amber color like an unfiltered apple cider. Topped with a small white head that quickly recedes to a thin ring.

Oddly, the sweet aroma has a clear suggestion of apples, and is markedly fruity.

The flavor is way too sweet, with brown sugar, alcohol, caramel malts and spices. Off style and not appealing.

O: Drinkable but not very good, and an insult to Belgian brewers to include "Belgian-style" on the label. I'll now be inclined to avoid this brewery which may be pinning it's fortunes on the resemblance of "Left Coast" to the far superior brewers, Lost Coast and Left Hand.

2.73/5  rDev -22.9%

A = 3.5Translucent amber in the glass. Poured with a bout a ¾ inch head that had some lasting power. Low carbonation and medium sized bubble structure. Would have liked to see some more bubbles

S = 3.0Citrus, Hoppy, Spicy aromas and that strong scent I love from a good Tripel. Oddly enough, there was not much alcohol smell for a beer with such high ABV.

T =3.0 Way sweet on the palate. It took me off guard and I thought it was overpowering to the point of being a little off-putting. Lingering aftertaste of cloves. Perhaps it was from the whopping 11% ABV this one kicks in with. There is definite astringency of the alcohol that dominates every taste bud with the effect of masking the other pleasant effects.

M = 2.5not very bubbly on the tongue at all. Thick resins lingered on my tongue.

D= 3.0Definitely not a "ball game" or poker night beer. This has "food pairing" written all over it. I would not drink it in a session alone because of the sweetness factor and the ABV being so high. With this odd brew, I would choose a strong meat, perhaps braised mutton with aus jus or au poivre served over garlic sautéed spinach with Butternut squash (Duck would be a good choice also). The oils in the meat could tone down the sweetness and the garlic spinach would make a good palate cleanser, leaving the pleasant cloves aftertaste of the brew to enjoy. The carbohydrate in the squash would also help you be able to take this one without being sloshed in 15 minutes. This is a beer you take home with a specific plan and intent.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a chalice from a 22 ounce bottle.

This beer pours a deep orange hue with a fluffy white head that settles quickly. Lacing and head retention are pretty mediocre. The beer smells like a Tripel. Banana and clove, with some bready, caramel malt. Taste threw me off a bit. Caramel and toast up front, with little hop character. Alcohol is strongly present in the taste as well. The finish is almost overly fruity, being tangy in a way. Mouthfeel is decent, a bit too syrupy overall. This is just not a beer that I enjoy as much as others of the same style. Unbalanced, and just not all that well put-together.

2.75/5  rDev -22.3%

Very sweet, moderate carbonation. I simply couldn't get past the overwhelming alcoholic taste. Thank god it is an 11.0% or else I don't know if I would have gotten through the entire bottle, luckily its high alcohol content aids its drinkability as you put it away.

2.79/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: cloudy orange-amber, no appreciable head in a snifter, glass is too small to really show lacing but in a larger glass it would probably be a fine lattice
S: sweet, candy, bread
T: candy, sugar, herbs, malt, the 11% alcohol pokes through with some astringency
M: light, syrupy
O: one really has to be looking for an astringent spiced candy. I found it too sweet, bordering on cloying, and heavy-handed.

2.84/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A- More orangey-goldey than other tripels I've had (but then again at 11.8% what do you expect)
S- Flat orange maltiness; without a certain fresh crispness I've come to expect from this style
T- Sooo much booze. Just doesn't represent what I was thinking when I saw 'Belgian Style Tripel Ale'. Touch of citrus (bitter orange rind) and clove, but dominated by booze.
M- Overbearing. Mouth coating. Small bubbles trying to guide themselves through the sludge.
I don't 'hate' it but it's not at all what I was expecting and it didn't strike me as 'great'

Asylum from Left Coast Brewing Company