Eisenbahn Rauchbier - Cervejaria Sudbrack Ltda

Eisenbahn RauchbierEisenbahn Rauchbier

Cervejaria Sudbrack Ltda visit their website
Brazil

Rauchbier |  6.30% ABV

(Beer added by: soper2000 on 02-13-2006)
4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Bottle labeled "Batch 05" to BMS mug...

Beautiful clear copper color. Ample carbonation bubbles up to robust, tight head that slowly dissipates with sufficient lacing.

Solid smoke flavor - warm beef jerky. Amber lager characteristics - a little earthiness from malt profile. Nicely balanced for style.

Very mellow yet ample smoke character. Malt is sweeter than expected. Slight slight grassy hop presence. Much better balanced than expected.

Warms the mouth nicely - coats like BBQ sauce and charred pork ribs while actually being quite refreshing. Excellent for style!

This is by no means a style I seek out, but this offering is very impressive. An oily malt sweetness cuts the smoke perfectly, making this an extremely drinkable example for the style. Thanks to this I'm now craving a big plate o' ribs.

IBUnit63, May 12, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Finding this beer in the depths of the Shelton Bros. Catalog I got really excited. I mean they are one of the best beer importers going and I love Rauchbier so I was pretty fired up.

But alas I think let my expectations get the best of me. Don't get me wrong this is good stuff and very drinkable, it would be killer with some bacon and eggs for breakfast. But I want my Rauchbiers to pummel me. I guess I'm like all these hop fanatics but with smoke. The more the better right?

All that out of the way here is what I think: nice dark amber color with a small, quickly disappearing head but one that persists around the edge of the glass. I never really had a heady Rauchbier so no surprises here.

The nose is packed with fresh wheat, bread dough and some far away smoke. Like a small wild fire a few towns over. I wanted a full blaze engulfing forests.

The flavors are pure and delicious with nice clarity. You taste all the parts and nothing is overwhelming, great balance. Smoked ham, pine sap, grain aspects and hints of toffee are all there.

I do like the silkiness here very much it is nice and perfectly carbonated for my liking. A bit more punch and it could be a 5 in my book.

But where this shines like I mentioned before is its drinkability. It is so balanced and actually really feminine for a beer of this style. I could easily but back a sixer of this. I guess I was dreaming of a bit more smoke.

bryanbrick, Mar 04, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Pours a dark carmael, almost red color with a foamy head. Lacing sticks briefly after each sip before slowly sliding back into the brew.

S: Strong malty smell with an aroma or burnt caramel. Slight, roasted "rauch" smell.

T: Just like the smell, malty with a subtle smokiness. A strong but smooth taste.

M: Light and crisp with moderate carbonation. Finishes with an extended smoke character.

D: Admittedly, I didn't have much hope for a rauch coming from Brazilian brewery. Fortunately, I was quite wrong. This beer is very drinkable and is pleasant in all areas. The subtlty of the smoked malt makes this a great introduction to rauchbiers before jumping into the Schenkerlas.

klewis, Jun 21, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Defumada. 6.5% - different label (this one is in color - but still features a steam locomotive passing through what appears to be a rain forest). Batch 04. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my pilsner glass.

Brilliantly clear rust colored liquid with heavy carbonation building up a three finger, dense, dark beige head. Small curls of lacing adorn the edges of the glass.

Light smoke, but strong clean malt aromatics. Very distinctly German ingredients.

Distinctive buckwheat soba noodle (!) on the palate - incredibly appetizing though a bit surprising. Very slight bacon and butter notes, with a clean mouth-watering finish.

Fairly light bodied with very high carbonation.

This is an excellent lager.

augustgarage, Dec 11, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Dark coppery orange with goldenrod trim. Multiple streams of superfine bubbles quickly find their way to a beautifully creamy cap the color and consistency of orange mousse. This is fantastic looking beer, even without the barely broken sheets of lace that resemble a thin layer of butter spread carefully onto the glass.

The nose is definitely rauchbier-like. As is usually the case, there aren't a whole lot of other aromas swirling about since smoked barley is so distinctive. I could use a little more power, until I remind myself that this isn't necessarily meant to be a smoke bomb on the order of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock. It's clean and lightly, sweetly smoky.

Since I had to slurp the large head to keep it from overflowing the glass, I had an idea just how good the beer actually is. I had some doubts about a Brazilian rauchbier, but these guys have clearly done their homework and have come up with a splendid version.

Rather than overpowering the flavor profile, the smoke is a perfect complement to the sweet caramel maltiness that is cruising confidently along and holding down the bottom end. Sweet, bitter and tangy are all present, with none getting very far ahead of the others at any point along the flavor arc. I'd like even more smoke, but then I'm a lover of boldly flavored beer.

The mouthfeel is easily the equal of the rest of the attributes. In fact, it's probably the highlight for me. It's on the expansive side for a lager and is supremely smooth, not to mention expertly carbonated. I'm thrilled that we're finally getting some good beer from South America. It makes me wonder if there's isn't much more that never makes it to these shores.

In spite of the fact that my bottle says Defumada Smoked Lager, I'm pretty confident that we're talking about the same beer. And what a beer it is! This Brazilian offering can hold its head high among the world's best rauchbiers. I love being surprised like this.

BuckeyeNation, Apr 28, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

A: A rusty brown color, thin layer of densely packed head, crystal clear - 3.50, S: Smokiness is the first thing that I notice on the nose - it is quite strong though not overpowering, there is also the unmistakable crisp lager aromas, some grain smells also make a showing - 4.00, T: Smokiness is present but like the nose it does not overwhelm, crisp and refreshing, quite distinct sweet caramel malt, very pleasing palate - 4.00, M: Silky mouth feel - 4.00, D: Very drinkable and a beer I would unquestionably drink again, having called Brazil home for a little over a year and considering it a beer wasteland, it is nice to see craft beer taking hold - 4.25

deereless, Aug 23, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Label reads "Defumada" Smoked Lager...
Different label, imported by Shelton Bros.

A sheen of tiny micro-bubbles cling to the sides of the glass, plenty of foam atop the reddish amber liquid.

Smell is lightly smoked malt, not overpowering. Reminds me a little of Spezial Rauchbier Lager. Slight grain husk sweetness.

Taste is very smooth, light smoke upfront, nutty almond, woody dry aftertaste. Some residual bitterness, but doesn't hinder it's mouthfeel or drinkability.

Overall, a better session candidate than bigger Rauchbiers like Schlenkerla, Spezial, and Rauchenfelser. Very clean and inviting.

emerge077, Mar 23, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

This is a 12-ounce bottle labeled as Eisenbahn Defumada Smoked Lager. Batch number is 05. Enjoyed in a nonic pint glass

Appearance:
The beer is a striking copper-amber color, and is perfectly clear. The head is ivory colored and rich. The foam clings briefly to the glass before receding back into the beer. Eventually the head disappears altogether.

Smell:
At first sniff, it reminds me much more of a scotch ale than a rauchbier. Sweet and lightly smoky. Notes of honeyed bread and Fig Newtons.

Taste:
Sweet and nutty malt at the start, with a dry fruitiness that reminds me a little of plums and dates. The smoke flavor comes through next, light and savory on top of a base of toasted grains. The finish is honey on warm bread with an ephemeral tartness, and the smokiness lingers into the aftertaste. Delicious.

Mouthfeel:
Mostly soft and smooth, though the carbonation feels just a bit prickly. Medium-bodied. Slightly coats the palate.

Drinkability:
This beer holds together beautifully, with neither the sweetness nor the smoke coming across as heavy-handed. An absolute charmer of a rauchbier which could satisfy a fan of the style without putting off the curious novice who has never tasted one before.

vurt, Jun 21, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a nice clear and darker copper with a thinner creme head. Nose is only slightly smoked. Flavor is actually pretty good. Nice smooth smokiness. Nice malty edge. It's nice. Smooth feel, with a slightly biting carbonation to it. Like I said, it's nice. A smooth and unobtrusive rauch that's quite easy to drink.

RblWthACoz, Apr 20, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

This is a style I am warming up to a bit and I have read and heard some really good stuff about this Brazilian brewer so it was a no brainer for me to pick this up today.Poured into a .5 liter stein a deep rich amber with a swirling tight 1 one finger off white head very nice clarity to the pour,the smoke is prominent but there is a big brown sugar and taostiness to compliment the hardwood smoke.Starts off sweet before the smoke cuts thru it a nice mix of brown sugar sweetness and smoke like a brown sugar cured smoked ham.A very well made rauchbier better than alot of Bamburg ones I have had Eisenbahn impresses in my first encounter with them.

oberon, Jun 18, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a very nice chestnut color. Thin head but laces on the side of the glass.

Clean, smokey nose. Not as deep and earthy as Schlenkerla but still very noticeable.

Medium smoke taste. Crisp and clean but a bit watery in the finish.

Good overall rauchbier but lacks the guts of a good Schlenkerla.

wisrarebeer, Oct 12, 2008

Bottle labeled Defumada with a freight train on the front purchased from Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours a clear copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of smoked malts with a good amount of underlying sweetness. As the beer warms the smoked malt aromas increase.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Smoked malt flavors up front with an underlying sweetness that carries through to a mildly sweet ending with a lingering smokiness.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a solid thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing the bottle and I could have a few more.

Overall this was a pretty good rauchbier. The flavors certainly improve as the beer warms so be sure to let this one get to a good temperature. Worth a shot.

glid02, Sep 04, 2009

Bottle into an American shaker pint.

A--Pours up a deep copper body with a creamy fairly dense white head that bubbles away after some time and laces well. Looks like a vienna lager--dark brownish red.

S--The smoke is as much wood as it is slim jim. There's a decent beef jerky here but there's also some peaty notes as well as considerable caramelish malt. Smoke is nowhere near overpowering in either sense.

T--Less like standing over a barbecuing Boston butt than like sipping on a decent Marzen that had some drops of liquid smoke in it. Flavor profile is actually pretty malt forward, which puts the smoke into the rear guard. Still, some spicy barbecue type flavors sneak into the back end while the more woody or peaty flavors contribute up front. Very restrained version of the style.

M&D--Both are fine, with higher marks to drinkability just because the subtlety of the smoke doesn't overpower your palate. Better for a more offbeat session than for something that's gonna knock your socks off with novelty--for those expecting a sock of smoke you'll be disappointed, and probably even bored. Could have been more flavorful for the ABV.

TheycallmeTim, Mar 28, 2009

South America's craft brewery.

Pours an interesting red amber color with ok white head. Nose is slight smoke and good pilsnery malt. Taste follows with rich lager, almost schwarzbier taste, some roast and noticeable smoke flavor. A good crisp finish. Adequate carbonation in the mouthfeel, and pretty good drinkability. An interesting style done fairly well. I love rauchbier, but I'm not sure I like it in a lager form. It would be good for an introduction to the style for those unfamiliar. It is good, but it is nothing particularly special or flavorful. Good beer, just not amazing.

AKBelgianBeast, Apr 29, 2008

cliff1066, Jan 04, 2013

vhmf1978, Dec 08, 2013

Thanks to jcwattsrugger for this one!

Pours dark copper with a fluffy white head than leaves uneven rings of lacing.

The smell is smoky - blend of peat-like and Rauch-like/meaty. There's a hint of Scotch with caramel. Smokiness is certainly there, but allows a caramel maltiness to come through nicely.

The taste, as in the aroma, is there but not overwhelming. It has a caramelish ("O-fest") maltines with a slightly spicy, semi-dry, finish.

Medium-bodied, it is very smooth, somewhat velvety.

Very drinkable, as it is smoky but not overly so, allowing other characteristics to come through that complement the smokiness well. Alcohol is well-masked. Solid choice for a smoky, but not overpowering, brew with a balanced maltiness. A very nice one here!

jwc215, Mar 23, 2009

Paracatu, Feb 08, 2012

Got this bottle from Rallison as a little extra to fill out the box he sent to me. Many thanks for giving me the chance to try an unusual beer--a traditional german rauchbier from Brazil.

My bottle says Defumada Eisenbahn Smoked Lager, 6.5 % alcohol, malt liqour, product of Brazil and has a picture of a train going through the jungle. 12 oz brown longneck twist off poured into a pils glass.

Very clear copper color with a modest light tan head, it recedes but a thin layer lasts the whole way down. Streams of carbonation rush up from the bottome of the glass and don't stop the whole time. A little lacing.

Smell is odd, I've never had a rauchbier and the closest i have ever been to one is Rogues chipotle ale which uses smoked jalapenos, but this is unusual. Good, but hard to describe.

Okay, it starts to make sense when you taste it. It doesn't taste smoky like a campfire, but it certainly has a smoke aspect to it. Again, unusual and hard to describe, but it is good. I would like to try a fresh rauchbier in Bamburg sometime, but I have a feeling that this is pretty close.

Mouthfeel is medium light, the smoked malt lingers in the mouth, very pleasing. This is drinkable, for sure, but is actually a bit filling (or maybe i was full from dinner). If you happen to see it somewhere, pick it up and give it a try. Definately recommended.

wheelinshirt, Feb 27, 2008

Defumada!

An old favorite style since the great success of our homebrewed Mentholated Laser Jaw.

Clear, amber, low carbonation. Moderately smoky aroma, sweet malts. The smokiness lingers but isn't punishing. A refreshing and delightful experience. Stays sweet until the smoke begins to dominate towards the end.

An interesting mix of sweetness and smokiness. Definitely got smokier as the glass warmed, or, alternatively, as more smoked malt in liquid alcohol form was drank (a cumulative effect, as it were).

A nice beer, would surely try again.

dragonWhale, Sep 22, 2010

My bottle looks different from the one pictured here, mine has the picture of a train and states this to be a "smoked lager," same thing as Rauchbier I guess. It states "Batch No. 06" on the bottle.

The pour looks promising with an amber color and a half inch of foam which quickly settles.

Malty aromas, dark fruits, raisins, figs, brown sugar, caramel, and a little smoky. It reminds me of a Scottish ale or an Oktoberfestbier. After it warms up a bit some more fruity aromas like ripe bananas, cherries, and sweet dates push through a wall of malt. There's also a sweet bready aroma.

Tastes quite good actually; I don't recall having a rauchbier before but I'm enjoying this one. A bit sweet upfront with caramel, dark fruits, and a bit of smoked malts. Somewhat spicy on the palate.

A good amount of carbonation, very refreshing. Aftertaste is of caramelized sugar, dark fruits and a little dry.

seaoflament, Feb 02, 2008

jfcaa193, Feb 05, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz bottle poured into tulip glass

A: Very nice dark caramel color with ruby accents, but also a lot of visible sediment. I'd be more put off by that if the color wasn't as attractive as it is. Head disappears quickly, leaving a thin cream-colored ring around the brew.

S: First things first, the smokiness of this beer emerged as soon as I started pouring, which is a great sign for me and my terrible sense of smell. On closer inspection, I smell the expected smoke - like in your peatier single-malts - but also pungent hops. Smells almost like a smoked double IPA.

T: tastes like it smells, really - smoky at first, but then the bitterness kicks in...but then there's that peaty smoke again. The only thing I don't like is that the smoke makes the character of the hops hard to pick up, past the general bitterness.

M: good. Effervescent to start, and once the smoke comes out in the taste, it coats my tongue and top of my mouth very well.

D: it's rauchbier, so I'm not drinking one of these every day - or two in a sitting - but for all that it's pretty smooth going down. I think the conditioning aids the drinkability a lot: this beer's crisp enough to refresh the palate from sip to sip.

O: I bought this in a mix-a-six because my daughter liked the picture of the train on the label. Glad she did. I didn't pay attention to the cost of the bottle or of a six-pack, so I don't know if it was worth what I spent, but I think so. I think this is going to be the Thanksgiving-dinner six-pack this year.

rwathree, Aug 26, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: Cloudy amber, off-white head that dissipates to this layer on top.

Smell: Curious chocolate and deep caramelized malts in the smell. Very inviting.

Taste: Deep caramel, sweet, chocolate, and vanilla notes over arched by a smoky presence and minimal hops. Good textured malts in the aftertaste, and a lingering smoke that outlasts the rest. Intriguing, complex and pleasing.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Drinkability: Due to ABV, this wouldn't be good for fast drinking or in large quantities. Better for sipping and contemplating the interesting taste.

Overall: a fine beer. The smoked flavor is interesting, and though not my personal favorite, I give this beer a good rating because it is different from the usual import lager.

allforbetterbeer, Oct 21, 2009