Eisenbahn Rauchbier - Cervejaria Sudbrack Ltda

Cervejaria Sudbrack Ltda visit their website
Brazil

Rauchbier |  6.30% ABV

Beer added by: soper2000 on 02-13-2006

Got this bottle from Rallison as a little extra to fill out the box he sent to me. Many thanks for giving me the chance to try an unusual beer--a traditional german rauchbier from Brazil.

My bottle says Defumada Eisenbahn Smoked Lager, 6.5 % alcohol, malt liqour, product of Brazil and has a picture of a train going through the jungle. 12 oz brown longneck twist off poured into a pils glass.

Very clear copper color with a modest light tan head, it recedes but a thin layer lasts the whole way down. Streams of carbonation rush up from the bottome of the glass and don't stop the whole time. A little lacing.

Smell is odd, I've never had a rauchbier and the closest i have ever been to one is Rogues chipotle ale which uses smoked jalapenos, but this is unusual. Good, but hard to describe.

Okay, it starts to make sense when you taste it. It doesn't taste smoky like a campfire, but it certainly has a smoke aspect to it. Again, unusual and hard to describe, but it is good. I would like to try a fresh rauchbier in Bamburg sometime, but I have a feeling that this is pretty close.

Mouthfeel is medium light, the smoked malt lingers in the mouth, very pleasing. This is drinkable, for sure, but is actually a bit filling (or maybe i was full from dinner). If you happen to see it somewhere, pick it up and give it a try. Definately recommended. (1,352 characters)

My bottle looks different from the one pictured here, mine has the picture of a train and states this to be a "smoked lager," same thing as Rauchbier I guess. It states "Batch No. 06" on the bottle.

The pour looks promising with an amber color and a half inch of foam which quickly settles.

Malty aromas, dark fruits, raisins, figs, brown sugar, caramel, and a little smoky. It reminds me of a Scottish ale or an Oktoberfestbier. After it warms up a bit some more fruity aromas like ripe bananas, cherries, and sweet dates push through a wall of malt. There's also a sweet bready aroma.

Tastes quite good actually; I don't recall having a rauchbier before but I'm enjoying this one. A bit sweet upfront with caramel, dark fruits, and a bit of smoked malts. Somewhat spicy on the palate.

A good amount of carbonation, very refreshing. Aftertaste is of caramelized sugar, dark fruits and a little dry. (904 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

This is a style I am warming up to a bit and I have read and heard some really good stuff about this Brazilian brewer so it was a no brainer for me to pick this up today.Poured into a .5 liter stein a deep rich amber with a swirling tight 1 one finger off white head very nice clarity to the pour,the smoke is prominent but there is a big brown sugar and taostiness to compliment the hardwood smoke.Starts off sweet before the smoke cuts thru it a nice mix of brown sugar sweetness and smoke like a brown sugar cured smoked ham.A very well made rauchbier better than alot of Bamburg ones I have had Eisenbahn impresses in my first encounter with them. (651 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a nice clear and darker copper with a thinner creme head. Nose is only slightly smoked. Flavor is actually pretty good. Nice smooth smokiness. Nice malty edge. It's nice. Smooth feel, with a slightly biting carbonation to it. Like I said, it's nice. A smooth and unobtrusive rauch that's quite easy to drink. (314 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a very nice chestnut color. Thin head but laces on the side of the glass.

Clean, smokey nose. Not as deep and earthy as Schlenkerla but still very noticeable.

Medium smoke taste. Crisp and clean but a bit watery in the finish.

Good overall rauchbier but lacks the guts of a good Schlenkerla. (302 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Label reads "Defumada" Smoked Lager...
Different label, imported by Shelton Bros.

A sheen of tiny micro-bubbles cling to the sides of the glass, plenty of foam atop the reddish amber liquid.

Smell is lightly smoked malt, not overpowering. Reminds me a little of Spezial Rauchbier Lager. Slight grain husk sweetness.

Taste is very smooth, light smoke upfront, nutty almond, woody dry aftertaste. Some residual bitterness, but doesn't hinder it's mouthfeel or drinkability.

Overall, a better session candidate than bigger Rauchbiers like Schlenkerla, Spezial, and Rauchenfelser. Very clean and inviting. (618 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

This is a 12-ounce bottle labeled as Eisenbahn Defumada Smoked Lager. Batch number is 05. Enjoyed in a nonic pint glass

Appearance:
The beer is a striking copper-amber color, and is perfectly clear. The head is ivory colored and rich. The foam clings briefly to the glass before receding back into the beer. Eventually the head disappears altogether.

Smell:
At first sniff, it reminds me much more of a scotch ale than a rauchbier. Sweet and lightly smoky. Notes of honeyed bread and Fig Newtons.

Taste:
Sweet and nutty malt at the start, with a dry fruitiness that reminds me a little of plums and dates. The smoke flavor comes through next, light and savory on top of a base of toasted grains. The finish is honey on warm bread with an ephemeral tartness, and the smokiness lingers into the aftertaste. Delicious.

Mouthfeel:
Mostly soft and smooth, though the carbonation feels just a bit prickly. Medium-bodied. Slightly coats the palate.

Drinkability:
This beer holds together beautifully, with neither the sweetness nor the smoke coming across as heavy-handed. An absolute charmer of a rauchbier which could satisfy a fan of the style without putting off the curious novice who has never tasted one before. (1,216 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +4.1%

Defumada. 6.5% - different label (this one is in color - but still features a steam locomotive passing through what appears to be a rain forest). Batch 04. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my pilsner glass.

Brilliantly clear rust colored liquid with heavy carbonation building up a three finger, dense, dark beige head. Small curls of lacing adorn the edges of the glass.

Light smoke, but strong clean malt aromatics. Very distinctly German ingredients.

Distinctive buckwheat soba noodle (!) on the palate - incredibly appetizing though a bit surprising. Very slight bacon and butter notes, with a clean mouth-watering finish.

Fairly light bodied with very high carbonation.

This is an excellent lager. (707 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +4.4%

A: A rusty brown color, thin layer of densely packed head, crystal clear - 3.50, S: Smokiness is the first thing that I notice on the nose - it is quite strong though not overpowering, there is also the unmistakable crisp lager aromas, some grain smells also make a showing - 4.00, T: Smokiness is present but like the nose it does not overwhelm, crisp and refreshing, quite distinct sweet caramel malt, very pleasing palate - 4.00, M: Silky mouth feel - 4.00, D: Very drinkable and a beer I would unquestionably drink again, having called Brazil home for a little over a year and considering it a beer wasteland, it is nice to see craft beer taking hold - 4.25 (661 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Dark coppery orange with goldenrod trim. Multiple streams of superfine bubbles quickly find their way to a beautifully creamy cap the color and consistency of orange mousse. This is fantastic looking beer, even without the barely broken sheets of lace that resemble a thin layer of butter spread carefully onto the glass.

The nose is definitely rauchbier-like. As is usually the case, there aren't a whole lot of other aromas swirling about since smoked barley is so distinctive. I could use a little more power, until I remind myself that this isn't necessarily meant to be a smoke bomb on the order of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock. It's clean and lightly, sweetly smoky.

Since I had to slurp the large head to keep it from overflowing the glass, I had an idea just how good the beer actually is. I had some doubts about a Brazilian rauchbier, but these guys have clearly done their homework and have come up with a splendid version.

Rather than overpowering the flavor profile, the smoke is a perfect complement to the sweet caramel maltiness that is cruising confidently along and holding down the bottom end. Sweet, bitter and tangy are all present, with none getting very far ahead of the others at any point along the flavor arc. I'd like even more smoke, but then I'm a lover of boldly flavored beer.

The mouthfeel is easily the equal of the rest of the attributes. In fact, it's probably the highlight for me. It's on the expansive side for a lager and is supremely smooth, not to mention expertly carbonated. I'm thrilled that we're finally getting some good beer from South America. It makes me wonder if there's isn't much more that never makes it to these shores.

In spite of the fact that my bottle says Defumada Smoked Lager, I'm pretty confident that we're talking about the same beer. And what a beer it is! This Brazilian offering can hold its head high among the world's best rauchbiers. I love being surprised like this. (1,962 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

Enjoyed with Onslow at the first Stumelagram...

...pours a dark amber with a darker-white head... the nose is oaky... slightly sweet...i dig it... the taste is smoky, wood, delightful, sweet malts... medium bodied... medium carbo... uh-very niyees! (borat)... (260 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

As someone who nearly vomited upon first tasting a Rauchbier, I am quite happy I eventually got over all that.

Pours an off-white head that sizzles and settles on top of a ruby-tinted amber/copper brown. A little lace is left in the liquid's wake.

Aroma is, unsurprisingly, dominated by smoke. Has a mesquite charcoal smokiness. Makes me think of glowing coals and BBQ. The smokiness veils any other aromas that might've tried to penetrate.

Oh wow. Flavor-wise this is one of the best smoked beers I've ever had, in any category. The depth of flavor is immense, revolving around a complex smokiness that indicates the brewer didn't use just any old crappy wood when smoking the malt. Woody, earthy, dense, hazy, rich, round...the smoke dominates, but there's an apple-ish layer coming through, giving the right amount of light, sweet balance to an otherwise hearty, heavy brew. Superb flavor. I mean: SUPERB.

As awesome as the flavor is, this is more demanding and left-of-center than your everyday beer, hurting the drinkability somewhat. But it still this comes highly recommended.

Hooked up with this beer thanks to msubulldog25. Much respect flyin' out to B to tha G. (1,186 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Well, take my Rauchbier reviews with a grain of salt until I've had more.... but damned if this wasn't a tasty beer.

A deep, deep copper / brown, clear, with thin but sustaining head and some lacing.

Smell is actually not over the top with the smoke, bread and honey sweetness shine just as brightly.

The taste is a bit of a shock at first, there's a rolling wave of smoke buoyed by a caramel sweet middle. The crystal malt really stands out, but it finishes clean, if not necessarily dry. Once the palate accepts the smoke, the bacon similarities start to drift away.

Paired with a steak with chimichurri, this was superb.

I wasn't crazy in love with it, but it had its place, and seemed to me to be a clean, smoky interpretation of the style that could serve both as entry-point and reference point for Rauchbiers. (822 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Bottle labeled "Batch 05" to BMS mug...

Beautiful clear copper color. Ample carbonation bubbles up to robust, tight head that slowly dissipates with sufficient lacing.

Solid smoke flavor - warm beef jerky. Amber lager characteristics - a little earthiness from malt profile. Nicely balanced for style.

Very mellow yet ample smoke character. Malt is sweeter than expected. Slight slight grassy hop presence. Much better balanced than expected.

Warms the mouth nicely - coats like BBQ sauce and charred pork ribs while actually being quite refreshing. Excellent for style!

This is by no means a style I seek out, but this offering is very impressive. An oily malt sweetness cuts the smoke perfectly, making this an extremely drinkable example for the style. Thanks to this I'm now craving a big plate o' ribs. (812 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Finding this beer in the depths of the Shelton Bros. Catalog I got really excited. I mean they are one of the best beer importers going and I love Rauchbier so I was pretty fired up.

But alas I think let my expectations get the best of me. Don't get me wrong this is good stuff and very drinkable, it would be killer with some bacon and eggs for breakfast. But I want my Rauchbiers to pummel me. I guess I'm like all these hop fanatics but with smoke. The more the better right?

All that out of the way here is what I think: nice dark amber color with a small, quickly disappearing head but one that persists around the edge of the glass. I never really had a heady Rauchbier so no surprises here.

The nose is packed with fresh wheat, bread dough and some far away smoke. Like a small wild fire a few towns over. I wanted a full blaze engulfing forests.

The flavors are pure and delicious with nice clarity. You taste all the parts and nothing is overwhelming, great balance. Smoked ham, pine sap, grain aspects and hints of toffee are all there.

I do like the silkiness here very much it is nice and perfectly carbonated for my liking. A bit more punch and it could be a 5 in my book.

But where this shines like I mentioned before is its drinkability. It is so balanced and actually really feminine for a beer of this style. I could easily but back a sixer of this. I guess I was dreaming of a bit more smoke. (1,418 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Pours a dark carmael, almost red color with a foamy head. Lacing sticks briefly after each sip before slowly sliding back into the brew.

S: Strong malty smell with an aroma or burnt caramel. Slight, roasted "rauch" smell.

T: Just like the smell, malty with a subtle smokiness. A strong but smooth taste.

M: Light and crisp with moderate carbonation. Finishes with an extended smoke character.

D: Admittedly, I didn't have much hope for a rauch coming from Brazilian brewery. Fortunately, I was quite wrong. This beer is very drinkable and is pleasant in all areas. The subtlty of the smoked malt makes this a great introduction to rauchbiers before jumping into the Schenkerlas. (693 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Thank you to Todd the beer guy at McKean and Charles in Waldoboro for getting me to try this. I never would have tried it without his suggestion, and then I would have really missed out. This is a great, almost phenomenal, beer. A 12oz bottle, Batch 06, poured into a pint glass. Dark amber color, small head. Faint campfire smoke aroma, with a some fruit. Very pleasant. Fruit, malt taste, with the faint smoke flavor coming in afterwards. Very subtle, very comfortable. Truly a beer to enjoy. I need to see if Tully's carries this, because I don't get up to Waldoboro that often. (581 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Made with pure malt, the smoked malt from Bamberg (Germany) is one of the recipe malts.
Beautiful amber to red colour, nice head.
Notes of caramel, roasted, smoked, alcoholic.
Good balance with bitterness.
Another excelent beer from Eisenbahn, the small brewerie from Blumenau, SC. (285 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +8.5%

I've been meaning to try something from Eisenbahn for awhile, especially since it came recommended from a colleague in Brazil.

Pours a beautiful clear, clean amber color with a very rich looking finger's worth of off white head.

Smells of super smokey meats, smoked fish, smoked sausages...you name it! If you like a smokey beer than this one certainly provides the smells. Some sweet, caramel-y malts come through as well but its tough to weed through the really smokey smells emanating from this pour.

Taste is very rich, smokey, malty, roasty, toasty and sweet. Some of the caramel shines through the smokiness. Altogether I found it a very good balance between malty/lager flavor and the smoke.

Personally, I really enjoy smoked beers so I really liked this one. The smell of smoke is not as dominating as the taste of smoke, its very balanced and very drinkable.

Its great that so many delicious micros are coming from Latin America. This is one I'll seek out down in Brazil this summer for sure. (1,009 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured a deep, clear, burnt orange with minimal head. Attractive to look at.
I definitely disagree with the below reviewer about it being only slightly smokey. There is a very nice and notable sweet smoke nose and flavor to this beer. I would say that its smokier than Spezial and very similar to one I had at a small brewery outside of Bamberg Germany that does not export. It's not nearly as smoky as Schenklerla, but its also a much smoother and well-rounded smoke profile that blends into the beer. It also has a nice toffee, caramel sweetness that reminds me of a good Vienna Lager.
The mouthfeel is moderately heavy for a lager (which I like) and somewhat creamy. Unlike a lot of Rauch beers, I could drink a few of these in a row, but more because of its great balance and not because it lacks a notable smokiness. (824 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +10%

A- Pours a 2 finger off-white head with decent retention over a nice dark amber colored body. NO sediment is present. As the head recedes, no sediment is present.

S- Nice sweet malt with notes of apple and pear, some fresh flour notes, and of course, an excellent smoky meat and campfire note, although not huge.

T- Starts out some sweet malt then some nice smoky malt with a drying feel and notes of apple, slight chocolate, nice smoke and cured meats. The finish is drying with a bit of smokey apple malt.

M- Appropriately low carbonation. Nice thick feel.

D- This is a nice stab at a Rauchbier. It wasn't quite a schlenkerla, but it's unfair to judge everyone against that. If you like rauchbier, try this. It won't disappoint. Huge thanks to schellsbeer! (763 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

Batch #5.

Pours a clear amber color with a 1 finger white head that leaves no lacing and just a light covering on top of the beer.

Smells wonderfully smoky. Lovely.

And that smoke? Nice and present in the taste. Basically, smoky on top of a slightly sweet caramel-ish body. Nice interplay between the two.

Mouthfeel has a touch of richness with low to medium carbonation. I like this balance here - makes it very drinkable without being too light.

Highly recommended. A very good smoked beer, from Brazil no less. Wish I had bought more than 2 bottles. (557 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

Picked this up at the Pizza Port Carlsbad Bottle Shop. I am a fan of Schlenkerla's Rauchbeers and chose this as somewhat of a novelty beer, not expecting much.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle the beer displayed a nice copper hue with a firm white head. Lacing clung to the glass as the beer quickly disappeared.

Subtle Beechwood smoke with no noticeable hop aroma. It sure smells like Weyermans Bamberg Smoke Malt was used as the base malt for this tasty brew.

Smoke is still subtle but noticeable. Perfectly balanced by early hop addition to counter the sweet malt characteristic.

Wow!! I can't believe this came from Brazil or anywhwere other than Bamberg for that matter. This is beer is top notch in every regard, and I highly recommend seeking this out if you love smoke beer. I enjoyed this beer so much it inspired me to write my first BA reveiw.

Prost!! (864 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%

Appears a ruby amber tone nice velvety light tan head dwindles slowly leaves behind fine even lacing looking good. Smelling even better smoked rauchbier at it's finest smoked meats and peated malt accents burnt wood with sweet fruit malt undertones not getting much hops but that's okay I never have from a true rauchbier. Flavors like camp fire roasted caramel covered nuts, and smoked meats combine to form a slight woody flavor with enough malts coming through to really forms a tasty balanced smoked lager. A touch of alcohol and sweet ripened plums combine but the lingering smokiness is killer really great brew. Texture wise I get fine even carbonation even a bit bubbly medium bodied ale with lingering presence on the palate due to the dry smokiness. Drinkability is nice I could see myself indulging on a couple bottles of this stuff smoked beer grows on you especially after a couple in a session this would be addictive for me especially with some assorted meats and cheeses. (987 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Appearance - pours a reddish amber with three fingers of light tan head. I poured the whole beer at an angle due to the high carbonation. Thick and foamy, good sheeted lacing down the glass. Very active bead from below. Looks great.

Aroma - a very pleasant smoked grained. Reminds me of hickory for some reason but it could be anything.

Taste - lightly sweet grain at the start, a soft smokiness casually overtaking it. Very mellow, the malt gives just a bit of caramel on the swallow and the smoke is evenly balanced. A fairly clean finish, very restrained hop presence at the end.

Mouthfeel - for such an effervescent brew this comes across amazingly smooth. The bubbles are there but the malt has enough body to keep 'em under control.

Drinkability - this is an ideal candidate for an introduction to the style. Not over the top smoked like a Schlenkerla rauchbier but definitely enough to get a feel for the style. Beer tasting candidate for certain. Perhaps the most sessionable smoker I've had. (1,012 characters)

Eisenbahn Rauchbier from Cervejaria Sudbrack Ltda