Eisenbahn Rauchbier - Cervejaria Sudbrack Ltda

Rauchbier |  6.30% ABV

Beer added by: soper2000 on 02-13-2006

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.27/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured a deep, clear, burnt orange with minimal head. Attractive to look at.
I definitely disagree with the below reviewer about it being only slightly smokey. There is a very nice and notable sweet smoke nose and flavor to this beer. I would say that its smokier than Spezial and very similar to one I had at a small brewery outside of Bamberg Germany that does not export. It's not nearly as smoky as Schenklerla, but its also a much smoother and well-rounded smoke profile that blends into the beer. It also has a nice toffee, caramel sweetness that reminds me of a good Vienna Lager.
The mouthfeel is moderately heavy for a lager (which I like) and somewhat creamy. Unlike a lot of Rauch beers, I could drink a few of these in a row, but more because of its great balance and not because it lacks a notable smokiness. (824 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -15.1%

Nearly no head initially, what little there is is gone within five minutes. Limited lace. Attractive color, burnt orange; very clear.

Not much of a smoky aroma, but there is a lot crystal malt smells--slightly sweet.

The sweetness shows up in the initial sip. Far more malty than hoppy, very little smoke flavors, which for me is a good thing, but not really true to style. This beer has a full body as would be expected in a slightly sweet beer. The carbonation is low.

If blindfolded, I believe I'd most closely compare it to a Scotch Ale in flavor. It is a subtly smoky beer which might make it a good introduction to the style. (640 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Thank you to Todd the beer guy at McKean and Charles in Waldoboro for getting me to try this. I never would have tried it without his suggestion, and then I would have really missed out. This is a great, almost phenomenal, beer. A 12oz bottle, Batch 06, poured into a pint glass. Dark amber color, small head. Faint campfire smoke aroma, with a some fruit. Very pleasant. Fruit, malt taste, with the faint smoke flavor coming in afterwards. Very subtle, very comfortable. Truly a beer to enjoy. I need to see if Tully's carries this, because I don't get up to Waldoboro that often. (581 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Dark coppery orange with goldenrod trim. Multiple streams of superfine bubbles quickly find their way to a beautifully creamy cap the color and consistency of orange mousse. This is fantastic looking beer, even without the barely broken sheets of lace that resemble a thin layer of butter spread carefully onto the glass.

The nose is definitely rauchbier-like. As is usually the case, there aren't a whole lot of other aromas swirling about since smoked barley is so distinctive. I could use a little more power, until I remind myself that this isn't necessarily meant to be a smoke bomb on the order of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock. It's clean and lightly, sweetly smoky.

Since I had to slurp the large head to keep it from overflowing the glass, I had an idea just how good the beer actually is. I had some doubts about a Brazilian rauchbier, but these guys have clearly done their homework and have come up with a splendid version.

Rather than overpowering the flavor profile, the smoke is a perfect complement to the sweet caramel maltiness that is cruising confidently along and holding down the bottom end. Sweet, bitter and tangy are all present, with none getting very far ahead of the others at any point along the flavor arc. I'd like even more smoke, but then I'm a lover of boldly flavored beer.

The mouthfeel is easily the equal of the rest of the attributes. In fact, it's probably the highlight for me. It's on the expansive side for a lager and is supremely smooth, not to mention expertly carbonated. I'm thrilled that we're finally getting some good beer from South America. It makes me wonder if there's isn't much more that never makes it to these shores.

In spite of the fact that my bottle says Defumada Smoked Lager, I'm pretty confident that we're talking about the same beer. And what a beer it is! This Brazilian offering can hold its head high among the world's best rauchbiers. I love being surprised like this. (1,962 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%

Presentation: 11oz bottle ("Batch No. 6") in a classic conical pint glass

Poured with a semi-thickness and nice snap to it. Caramel is first noticeable on the nose, a pleasing, light smokiness, not over the top or anywhere near other Rauchbiers, stone fruit like cherry, slight yeasted quality, crackers. Malts are also there, slightly muddy, they grow with warmth and air. Head was a solid & lively 2 fingers of loose, cracklin' blanched almond hues foam that faded in a short time to a thin sheen and glass ring.

A beautiful, ruddy, brassy, crystal clear cherry amber in color, a slow cascade of bubbles steadily rises with little fanfare through it.

This is the way to use smoke! Its so subtle, not like the campfire in a bottle most Rauchbiers are! A splendid balance between subtle smoke and lush caramelized malt sugars, along with a pleasing array of fruits - raisin, cherry, dried currant. This is just an amazingly pleasing balance of all that which is usually found in a barreled spirit such as a single malt, bourbon or whiskey. Its slightly syrupy, adding to the allure and seduction, and grows even more so on the palate as lush, lavish, rich caramels sing with the stone fruits and ever present, but understated, smokiness...all in a beautiful marriage. This is awesome.

It finishes, true to form, with a semi-sweetness, traces of orange, a little leathery with some tannins, a whisper or orange, all enveloped in a warm glow of alcohol that hugs the teeth and leaves a crisp, chewy, slightly candied afterglow.

I feel pretty confident that, once word gets out about this and its more available, it will become one of the best of its style/genre. Just a fantastic beer, truly a barreled spirit in 11oz form, complete with the smoke. If you like single malts, bourbon or whiskey with a little charcoal in the background, some caramel up front, stone fruits here and there, and a big chewy finish I cannot recommend this enough. A new member of my personal Top 10, perhaps Top 5. Seek this out & enjoy! (2,029 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Label reads "Defumada" Smoked Lager...
Different label, imported by Shelton Bros.

A sheen of tiny micro-bubbles cling to the sides of the glass, plenty of foam atop the reddish amber liquid.

Smell is lightly smoked malt, not overpowering. Reminds me a little of Spezial Rauchbier Lager. Slight grain husk sweetness.

Taste is very smooth, light smoke upfront, nutty almond, woody dry aftertaste. Some residual bitterness, but doesn't hinder it's mouthfeel or drinkability.

Overall, a better session candidate than bigger Rauchbiers like Schlenkerla, Spezial, and Rauchenfelser. Very clean and inviting. (618 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +11%

I got very impressed about this beer. I bought a six pack direct from their web site and worked very well. It really reached my expectatives. I was thinking to call some friends for drink the others, but now all of the 5 are mine.
AP- Red amber close to dark.
SM - It's really possible to identify its main charcteristc. smoky.
TA - its the same time strong and sweet, with a perfect balance of ingredients.
DR - As said before, its impossible to drink only one. (466 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Made with pure malt, the smoked malt from Bamberg (Germany) is one of the recipe malts.
Beautiful amber to red colour, nice head.
Notes of caramel, roasted, smoked, alcoholic.
Good balance with bitterness.
Another excelent beer from Eisenbahn, the small brewerie from Blumenau, SC. (285 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -31.3%

as much as like this brewery, I didn't really like this specific beer. It's quite strong, and the alcohol content isn't that high, but isn't well hidden.

It forms a nice head, that lasts for a decent amount of time, and the color is nice, redish/ambar. I could really taste the smoked malt, and I didn't really like it.

Not a bad beer, it just doesn't fit my personal taste. (380 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +12.6%

A surely tasteful beer. Pours softly, round and middle body, forming a beautiful head, soft and maintained for a preety good time.

It has a kind of red or amber look, darker, amazing aroma of smoked malt, strong, with a dry taste, roasted flavored, no so much hoppy taste, and with a few senses of the 6,5% ABV.

No too drinkable, a couple are enough to appreciate. Goes very well with pork meat, roast beef, and barbecue. (427 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last