Eisenbahn Rauchbier - Cervejaria Sudbrack Ltda

Eisenbahn RauchbierEisenbahn Rauchbier

Cervejaria Sudbrack Ltda visit their website

Rauchbier |  6.30% ABV

(Beer added by: soper2000 on 02-13-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
dragonWhale

Defumada!

An old favorite style since the great success of our homebrewed Mentholated Laser Jaw.

Clear, amber, low carbonation. Moderately smoky aroma, sweet malts. The smokiness lingers but isn't punishing. A refreshing and delightful experience. Stays sweet until the smoke begins to dominate towards the end.

An interesting mix of sweetness and smokiness. Definitely got smokier as the glass warmed, or, alternatively, as more smoked malt in liquid alcohol form was drank (a cumulative effect, as it were).

A nice beer, would surely try again.

09-22-2010 04:41:28 | More by dragonWhale
allforbetterbeer

Colorado

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Cloudy amber, off-white head that dissipates to this layer on top.

Smell: Curious chocolate and deep caramelized malts in the smell. Very inviting.

Taste: Deep caramel, sweet, chocolate, and vanilla notes over arched by a smoky presence and minimal hops. Good textured malts in the aftertaste, and a lingering smoke that outlasts the rest. Intriguing, complex and pleasing.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Drinkability: Due to ABV, this wouldn't be good for fast drinking or in large quantities. Better for sipping and contemplating the interesting taste.

Overall: a fine beer. The smoked flavor is interesting, and though not my personal favorite, I give this beer a good rating because it is different from the usual import lager.

10-21-2009 05:39:32 | More by allforbetterbeer
Onslow

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

shared with friends at the first Stumelagram Tasting ... some intresting things happening here, oak, syrup, mild bbq aromas ... nice complex yet light flavours ... pretty full in the mouth .. goes well with cubed ham... sweet and smoke kissed...til next time

07-22-2008 12:57:40 | More by Onslow
BuckSpin

Maine

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

Presentation: 11oz bottle ("Batch No. 6") in a classic conical pint glass

Poured with a semi-thickness and nice snap to it. Caramel is first noticeable on the nose, a pleasing, light smokiness, not over the top or anywhere near other Rauchbiers, stone fruit like cherry, slight yeasted quality, crackers. Malts are also there, slightly muddy, they grow with warmth and air. Head was a solid & lively 2 fingers of loose, cracklin' blanched almond hues foam that faded in a short time to a thin sheen and glass ring.

A beautiful, ruddy, brassy, crystal clear cherry amber in color, a slow cascade of bubbles steadily rises with little fanfare through it.

This is the way to use smoke! Its so subtle, not like the campfire in a bottle most Rauchbiers are! A splendid balance between subtle smoke and lush caramelized malt sugars, along with a pleasing array of fruits - raisin, cherry, dried currant. This is just an amazingly pleasing balance of all that which is usually found in a barreled spirit such as a single malt, bourbon or whiskey. Its slightly syrupy, adding to the allure and seduction, and grows even more so on the palate as lush, lavish, rich caramels sing with the stone fruits and ever present, but understated, smokiness...all in a beautiful marriage. This is awesome.

It finishes, true to form, with a semi-sweetness, traces of orange, a little leathery with some tannins, a whisper or orange, all enveloped in a warm glow of alcohol that hugs the teeth and leaves a crisp, chewy, slightly candied afterglow.

I feel pretty confident that, once word gets out about this and its more available, it will become one of the best of its style/genre. Just a fantastic beer, truly a barreled spirit in 11oz form, complete with the smoke. If you like single malts, bourbon or whiskey with a little charcoal in the background, some caramel up front, stone fruits here and there, and a big chewy finish I cannot recommend this enough. A new member of my personal Top 10, perhaps Top 5. Seek this out & enjoy!

04-10-2007 00:51:59 | More by BuckSpin
Parrotbeak

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Rusty amber with a quarter-inch, creamy off-white head that remains.
Smell is smokey malts and very faint hops. Some very faint sausage and caramel as well.
Taste is again smoked malts, with some sausage being a little more present than on the nose. Hints of barbeque as well. Finish is slightly malty.
Mouthfeel is mildly crisp, with a little bite halfway through. A bit watery overall.
Drinkability is very good. This is a nice one to have when you'd like a little smoke, but not too much.

04-09-2010 02:18:40 | More by Parrotbeak
vhmf1978

12-08-2013 23:45:24 | More by vhmf1978
4000qtrap

Missouri

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Source/serving: 12oz bottle.

Source/Serving: Slightly charred sweet potato, freshly toasted caramel, lightly burnt apple pie. An ash pit the day after the fire. Light almond. Faint smoked ham as it warms. Overall quite sweet and very rich.

Taste: Really full bodied up front...thick and fairly sweet with light campfire smoke in the background. Syrupy caramel with a tinge of apple and pear cider. Fields of grass come to mind as it warms. The middle is juicy apple cider - lots of ripe tree fruit actually. Some sweet potato. Fairly clean at first which transcends into moderately heavy smoke on the way to the finish. Finish is very sweet potato.... And tastes remarkably true to the vegetable especially as it lingers. A smoky edge gives a lightly charred character. A slight mineral, almost rust, note.

Overall: Sweet, rich malts and caramel very nicely balance the moderate smoke in this which creates decent complexity and interest. For a smoke beer, especially one as sweet as this one, this is highly drinkable and enjoyable.

07-10-2010 23:30:06 | More by 4000qtrap
wheelinshirt

Got this bottle from Rallison as a little extra to fill out the box he sent to me. Many thanks for giving me the chance to try an unusual beer--a traditional german rauchbier from Brazil.

My bottle says Defumada Eisenbahn Smoked Lager, 6.5 % alcohol, malt liqour, product of Brazil and has a picture of a train going through the jungle. 12 oz brown longneck twist off poured into a pils glass.

Very clear copper color with a modest light tan head, it recedes but a thin layer lasts the whole way down. Streams of carbonation rush up from the bottome of the glass and don't stop the whole time. A little lacing.

Smell is odd, I've never had a rauchbier and the closest i have ever been to one is Rogues chipotle ale which uses smoked jalapenos, but this is unusual. Good, but hard to describe.

Okay, it starts to make sense when you taste it. It doesn't taste smoky like a campfire, but it certainly has a smoke aspect to it. Again, unusual and hard to describe, but it is good. I would like to try a fresh rauchbier in Bamburg sometime, but I have a feeling that this is pretty close.

Mouthfeel is medium light, the smoked malt lingers in the mouth, very pleasing. This is drinkable, for sure, but is actually a bit filling (or maybe i was full from dinner). If you happen to see it somewhere, pick it up and give it a try. Definately recommended.

02-27-2008 01:26:36 | More by wheelinshirt

srbcurti

3.5/5  rDev -10%

06-10-2013 20:34:08 | More by srbcurti
TheycallmeTim

Bottle into an American shaker pint.

A--Pours up a deep copper body with a creamy fairly dense white head that bubbles away after some time and laces well. Looks like a vienna lager--dark brownish red.

S--The smoke is as much wood as it is slim jim. There's a decent beef jerky here but there's also some peaty notes as well as considerable caramelish malt. Smoke is nowhere near overpowering in either sense.

T--Less like standing over a barbecuing Boston butt than like sipping on a decent Marzen that had some drops of liquid smoke in it. Flavor profile is actually pretty malt forward, which puts the smoke into the rear guard. Still, some spicy barbecue type flavors sneak into the back end while the more woody or peaty flavors contribute up front. Very restrained version of the style.

M&D--Both are fine, with higher marks to drinkability just because the subtlety of the smoke doesn't overpower your palate. Better for a more offbeat session than for something that's gonna knock your socks off with novelty--for those expecting a sock of smoke you'll be disappointed, and probably even bored. Could have been more flavorful for the ABV.

03-28-2009 22:13:47 | More by TheycallmeTim
felipeprates

05-29-2013 18:39:41 | More by felipeprates
schellsbeer

3.58/5  rDev -8%

IMPORTANT: The following review is for cold to cooler beer. Upon drinking it fully, and the beer had a chance to warm up, the beer became much much much...better. At least an A-. Make sure the beer is close to room temp. before all of the goodness shows up.

First beer from Brazil....can't wait to try. Found this at a hole in the wall store in the Twin Cities. Saw that it was a Rauchbier and had to pick a few up.

A - Average to Good. Burnt Carmel look. Dark Orange to Brown color. Small head which disappears quickly. No lacing present after head leaves.

S - Really not much there. Therefore, an average rating. I was expecting more of a smoke smell.

T - Good. Can taste the smoke wood flavor. I bet it would go great with brats...beer brats that is. However, hard to come by so I think I will just drink my two instead of making brats. Maybe next time I go to the cities, I will have to pick up some for cooking. I just wish there was more smoke flavor. I want campfire. Northern woods of Minnesota feel. Just isn't there for this beer. Very good tasting but light on the smoke flavor. Highly likeable though in its own sense. Much rather drink a Three Feet Deep for a rustic beer but that's just me.

M - Thin but crisp. I like the feel. Not heavy at all. Refreshing. Low carbonation which is nice.

D - At 6.5% alcohol, not a session beer. Also, hard to locate. Therefore, lower marks for this one here.

Overall, impressed with my first Brazilian beer. Will I search this one out....probably not since it is $2.50 per bottle before taxes and I can have a Three Feet Down for much less than that. However, great experience. If you have the chance, I say try one...I have 2 that I am going to enjoy.

11-30-2008 04:48:37 | More by schellsbeer
Etrusco

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

07-21-2014 16:40:05 | More by Etrusco
tendermorsel

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

I am a fan of smoked beer and this Brazilian entrant did not disappoint.

Poured a nice brown color with a good quality head which dissipated rather quickly.

Very easy drinking.... Crisp clean and fresh. Not as smoky as some of the beers imported from Bamburg but a good deal of smoke flavor especially on the back end. I likely the fact that this was a bit more heavy on the malt. Overall a interesting take on my favorite style.

Quite a refreshing beer on a hot day.

08-06-2007 02:31:06 | More by tendermorsel
vurt

Oregon

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

This is a 12-ounce bottle labeled as Eisenbahn Defumada Smoked Lager. Batch number is 05. Enjoyed in a nonic pint glass

Appearance:
The beer is a striking copper-amber color, and is perfectly clear. The head is ivory colored and rich. The foam clings briefly to the glass before receding back into the beer. Eventually the head disappears altogether.

Smell:
At first sniff, it reminds me much more of a scotch ale than a rauchbier. Sweet and lightly smoky. Notes of honeyed bread and Fig Newtons.

Taste:
Sweet and nutty malt at the start, with a dry fruitiness that reminds me a little of plums and dates. The smoke flavor comes through next, light and savory on top of a base of toasted grains. The finish is honey on warm bread with an ephemeral tartness, and the smokiness lingers into the aftertaste. Delicious.

Mouthfeel:
Mostly soft and smooth, though the carbonation feels just a bit prickly. Medium-bodied. Slightly coats the palate.

Drinkability:
This beer holds together beautifully, with neither the sweetness nor the smoke coming across as heavy-handed. An absolute charmer of a rauchbier which could satisfy a fan of the style without putting off the curious novice who has never tasted one before.

06-21-2008 05:00:24 | More by vurt
estevaom

3.5/5  rDev -10%

04-09-2012 14:38:07 | More by estevaom
Paracatu

02-08-2012 19:46:31 | More by Paracatu
Tbone

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured a deep, clear, burnt orange with minimal head. Attractive to look at.
I definitely disagree with the below reviewer about it being only slightly smokey. There is a very nice and notable sweet smoke nose and flavor to this beer. I would say that its smokier than Spezial and very similar to one I had at a small brewery outside of Bamberg Germany that does not export. It's not nearly as smoky as Schenklerla, but its also a much smoother and well-rounded smoke profile that blends into the beer. It also has a nice toffee, caramel sweetness that reminds me of a good Vienna Lager.
The mouthfeel is moderately heavy for a lager (which I like) and somewhat creamy. Unlike a lot of Rauch beers, I could drink a few of these in a row, but more because of its great balance and not because it lacks a notable smokiness.

05-22-2007 21:53:59 | More by Tbone
bryanbrick

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Finding this beer in the depths of the Shelton Bros. Catalog I got really excited. I mean they are one of the best beer importers going and I love Rauchbier so I was pretty fired up.

But alas I think let my expectations get the best of me. Don't get me wrong this is good stuff and very drinkable, it would be killer with some bacon and eggs for breakfast. But I want my Rauchbiers to pummel me. I guess I'm like all these hop fanatics but with smoke. The more the better right?

All that out of the way here is what I think: nice dark amber color with a small, quickly disappearing head but one that persists around the edge of the glass. I never really had a heady Rauchbier so no surprises here.

The nose is packed with fresh wheat, bread dough and some far away smoke. Like a small wild fire a few towns over. I wanted a full blaze engulfing forests.

The flavors are pure and delicious with nice clarity. You taste all the parts and nothing is overwhelming, great balance. Smoked ham, pine sap, grain aspects and hints of toffee are all there.

I do like the silkiness here very much it is nice and perfectly carbonated for my liking. A bit more punch and it could be a 5 in my book.

But where this shines like I mentioned before is its drinkability. It is so balanced and actually really feminine for a beer of this style. I could easily but back a sixer of this. I guess I was dreaming of a bit more smoke.

03-04-2009 04:15:24 | More by bryanbrick
Fernando_Bastos

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

07-20-2014 16:51:43 | More by Fernando_Bastos
rwathree

Iowa

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

12 oz bottle poured into tulip glass

A: Very nice dark caramel color with ruby accents, but also a lot of visible sediment. I'd be more put off by that if the color wasn't as attractive as it is. Head disappears quickly, leaving a thin cream-colored ring around the brew.

S: First things first, the smokiness of this beer emerged as soon as I started pouring, which is a great sign for me and my terrible sense of smell. On closer inspection, I smell the expected smoke - like in your peatier single-malts - but also pungent hops. Smells almost like a smoked double IPA.

T: tastes like it smells, really - smoky at first, but then the bitterness kicks in...but then there's that peaty smoke again. The only thing I don't like is that the smoke makes the character of the hops hard to pick up, past the general bitterness.

M: good. Effervescent to start, and once the smoke comes out in the taste, it coats my tongue and top of my mouth very well.

D: it's rauchbier, so I'm not drinking one of these every day - or two in a sitting - but for all that it's pretty smooth going down. I think the conditioning aids the drinkability a lot: this beer's crisp enough to refresh the palate from sip to sip.

O: I bought this in a mix-a-six because my daughter liked the picture of the train on the label. Glad she did. I didn't pay attention to the cost of the bottle or of a six-pack, so I don't know if it was worth what I spent, but I think so. I think this is going to be the Thanksgiving-dinner six-pack this year.

08-26-2011 02:25:26 | More by rwathree
schiaveto

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Made with pure malt, the smoked malt from Bamberg (Germany) is one of the recipe malts.
Beautiful amber to red colour, nice head.
Notes of caramel, roasted, smoked, alcoholic.
Good balance with bitterness.
Another excelent beer from Eisenbahn, the small brewerie from Blumenau, SC.

05-04-2006 18:32:03 | More by schiaveto
decom

2.63/5  rDev -32.4%

as much as like this brewery, I didn't really like this specific beer. It's quite strong, and the alcohol content isn't that high, but isn't well hidden.

It forms a nice head, that lasts for a decent amount of time, and the color is nice, redish/ambar. I could really taste the smoked malt, and I didn't really like it.

Not a bad beer, it just doesn't fit my personal taste.

04-21-2006 00:48:13 | More by decom