Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Eisenbahn Rauchbier - Cervejaria Sudbrack Ltda

Eisenbahn RauchbierEisenbahn Rauchbier

Cervejaria Sudbrack Ltda visit their website

Rauchbier |  6.30% ABV

Beer added by: soper2000 on 02-13-2006

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last

I do not know if this proposal is even, but found no body, and so the smoky, artificial; I'd rather be wrong. Foam almost absent and elusive, the smoked only felt in the aftertaste.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

This is a 12-ounce bottle labeled as Eisenbahn Defumada Smoked Lager. Batch number is 05. Enjoyed in a nonic pint glass

The beer is a striking copper-amber color, and is perfectly clear. The head is ivory colored and rich. The foam clings briefly to the glass before receding back into the beer. Eventually the head disappears altogether.

At first sniff, it reminds me much more of a scotch ale than a rauchbier. Sweet and lightly smoky. Notes of honeyed bread and Fig Newtons.

Sweet and nutty malt at the start, with a dry fruitiness that reminds me a little of plums and dates. The smoke flavor comes through next, light and savory on top of a base of toasted grains. The finish is honey on warm bread with an ephemeral tartness, and the smokiness lingers into the aftertaste. Delicious.

Mostly soft and smooth, though the carbonation feels just a bit prickly. Medium-bodied. Slightly coats the palate.

This beer holds together beautifully, with neither the sweetness nor the smoke coming across as heavy-handed. An absolute charmer of a rauchbier which could satisfy a fan of the style without putting off the curious novice who has never tasted one before.

4.27/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured a deep, clear, burnt orange with minimal head. Attractive to look at.
I definitely disagree with the below reviewer about it being only slightly smokey. There is a very nice and notable sweet smoke nose and flavor to this beer. I would say that its smokier than Spezial and very similar to one I had at a small brewery outside of Bamberg Germany that does not export. It's not nearly as smoky as Schenklerla, but its also a much smoother and well-rounded smoke profile that blends into the beer. It also has a nice toffee, caramel sweetness that reminds me of a good Vienna Lager.
The mouthfeel is moderately heavy for a lager (which I like) and somewhat creamy. Unlike a lot of Rauch beers, I could drink a few of these in a row, but more because of its great balance and not because it lacks a notable smokiness.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Finding this beer in the depths of the Shelton Bros. Catalog I got really excited. I mean they are one of the best beer importers going and I love Rauchbier so I was pretty fired up.

But alas I think let my expectations get the best of me. Don't get me wrong this is good stuff and very drinkable, it would be killer with some bacon and eggs for breakfast. But I want my Rauchbiers to pummel me. I guess I'm like all these hop fanatics but with smoke. The more the better right?

All that out of the way here is what I think: nice dark amber color with a small, quickly disappearing head but one that persists around the edge of the glass. I never really had a heady Rauchbier so no surprises here.

The nose is packed with fresh wheat, bread dough and some far away smoke. Like a small wild fire a few towns over. I wanted a full blaze engulfing forests.

The flavors are pure and delicious with nice clarity. You taste all the parts and nothing is overwhelming, great balance. Smoked ham, pine sap, grain aspects and hints of toffee are all there.

I do like the silkiness here very much it is nice and perfectly carbonated for my liking. A bit more punch and it could be a 5 in my book.

But where this shines like I mentioned before is its drinkability. It is so balanced and actually really feminine for a beer of this style. I could easily but back a sixer of this. I guess I was dreaming of a bit more smoke.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz bottle poured into tulip glass

A: Very nice dark caramel color with ruby accents, but also a lot of visible sediment. I'd be more put off by that if the color wasn't as attractive as it is. Head disappears quickly, leaving a thin cream-colored ring around the brew.

S: First things first, the smokiness of this beer emerged as soon as I started pouring, which is a great sign for me and my terrible sense of smell. On closer inspection, I smell the expected smoke - like in your peatier single-malts - but also pungent hops. Smells almost like a smoked double IPA.

T: tastes like it smells, really - smoky at first, but then the bitterness kicks in...but then there's that peaty smoke again. The only thing I don't like is that the smoke makes the character of the hops hard to pick up, past the general bitterness.

M: good. Effervescent to start, and once the smoke comes out in the taste, it coats my tongue and top of my mouth very well.

D: it's rauchbier, so I'm not drinking one of these every day - or two in a sitting - but for all that it's pretty smooth going down. I think the conditioning aids the drinkability a lot: this beer's crisp enough to refresh the palate from sip to sip.

O: I bought this in a mix-a-six because my daughter liked the picture of the train on the label. Glad she did. I didn't pay attention to the cost of the bottle or of a six-pack, so I don't know if it was worth what I spent, but I think so. I think this is going to be the Thanksgiving-dinner six-pack this year.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

Made with pure malt, the smoked malt from Bamberg (Germany) is one of the recipe malts.
Beautiful amber to red colour, nice head.
Notes of caramel, roasted, smoked, alcoholic.
Good balance with bitterness.
Another excelent beer from Eisenbahn, the small brewerie from Blumenau, SC.

2.68/5  rDev -30.4%

as much as like this brewery, I didn't really like this specific beer. It's quite strong, and the alcohol content isn't that high, but isn't well hidden.

It forms a nice head, that lasts for a decent amount of time, and the color is nice, redish/ambar. I could really taste the smoked malt, and I didn't really like it.

Not a bad beer, it just doesn't fit my personal taste.

4.39/5  rDev +14%

A surely tasteful beer. Pours softly, round and middle body, forming a beautiful head, soft and maintained for a preety good time.

It has a kind of red or amber look, darker, amazing aroma of smoked malt, strong, with a dry taste, roasted flavored, no so much hoppy taste, and with a few senses of the 6,5% ABV.

No too drinkable, a couple are enough to appreciate. Goes very well with pork meat, roast beef, and barbecue.

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

I got very impressed about this beer. I bought a six pack direct from their web site and worked very well. It really reached my expectatives. I was thinking to call some friends for drink the others, but now all of the 5 are mine.
AP- Red amber close to dark.
SM - It's really possible to identify its main charcteristc. smoky.
TA - its the same time strong and sweet, with a perfect balance of ingredients.
DR - As said before, its impossible to drink only one.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

Picked this up at the Pizza Port Carlsbad Bottle Shop. I am a fan of Schlenkerla's Rauchbeers and chose this as somewhat of a novelty beer, not expecting much.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle the beer displayed a nice copper hue with a firm white head. Lacing clung to the glass as the beer quickly disappeared.

Subtle Beechwood smoke with no noticeable hop aroma. It sure smells like Weyermans Bamberg Smoke Malt was used as the base malt for this tasty brew.

Smoke is still subtle but noticeable. Perfectly balanced by early hop addition to counter the sweet malt characteristic.

Wow!! I can't believe this came from Brazil or anywhwere other than Bamberg for that matter. This is beer is top notch in every regard, and I highly recommend seeking this out if you love smoke beer. I enjoyed this beer so much it inspired me to write my first BA reveiw.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last