Melbourn Bros. Cherry - Melbourn Bros.

Melbourn Bros. CherryMelbourn Bros. Cherry

Melbourn Bros.
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  3.40% ABV

Beer added by: chaduvel on 08-25-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
4.07/5  rDev +8.5%

This brew is a carbonic, clear, very red liquid. The head is a cotton-candy pink color. The aroma is all about cherries. Full, intense, and slightly tart, the smell is like a mashed up basket of cherries. The taste is similar, lots of cherries, with a little yeast and spice. There’s a little wild sourness that creeps in as well, and the whole brew works pretty well. It’s not sweet, but not really dry either (semi-dry?), and is very refreshing. I’m generally not a big fan of fruit brews, but this one is worth having again.

3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

355 ml bottle, bought in Frederikshavn, Denmark. A British spontaneously fermented cherry "lambic", hmm? Pours with a beautiful cherry red colour and a large and lasting pink head. Intense and beguiling aroma of sweet and sour cherries. Tastes like, duh ..., beer with cherry juice added, maybe because that’s what it actually is? Fairly sweet, reminds me of Lindemans Kriek, but also with a distinct cherry sourness. Low bitterness. Once you get used to the thought of beers tasting more or less like (first class) cherry sodas, this one (like most kriek lambics) actually taste GOOD! No, I wouldn’t want every beer to taste like this one. But it is a nice change of pace, and certainly worth a try!

3.72/5  rDev -0.8%

Nice on a hot summer day.

Cloudy copper colour with very little head. It resembles soday. Nice cherry fruit scent. Very little "beer" in there. The initial taste is cherry cough syrup, but after, it mellows out to a nice smooth cherry flavour with a bit of malt background.

Carbonation is good, but as with many fruit beers, I find it comes off a bit oily.

3.97/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I don't have much experience with fruit beers and this is my first cherry flavored one.

Nice red color with a small pinkish head that stuck around a bit.

Very strong cherry smell. It doesn't smell like it's a beer. I even double-checked the label to make sure that's what I bought, lol.

Tastes perhaps more like red wine than beer, while being quite reminiscent of cherry flavored cough syrups I've had...and loved. This hit the ol' sweet tooth hard.

Had a fizziness close to cherry soda.

Very drinkable for people who like sweets and soda, while being a terrible choice for those who don't. And even though I dig the sweet stuff, it's too sweet to have more than one at a time.

Overall this was a good introduction for me into cherry flavored beers. I'd get this one again and try others in the future.

3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

This was a very dark red, with a dark pink or lavender head that was very short lived.

Nose is very strong, with floral notes in addition to the obvious cherry. As one would expect, the flavor is mostly cherry - particularly what has come to be called "black cherry", with very pungent, tart characteristics. I also noticed some green apple flavor, which added to the overall sour quality of the beer. The apple comes through right up front, but is strongest on the back of the tongue and in the aftertaste.

It is also quite sweet, and I had a little bit of a thickening of saliva (like after drinking orange juice), although really not that bad considering.

As for drinkability, it is typical of its style I think - great to have in moderation; a single glass with dessert. Certainly not something you would want to enjoy throughout the night.

3.91/5  rDev +4.3%

Old bottle from the hidden corners of a beer store that has no idea what they have ever. I found this on top of a shelf where they had a box of chimay and Sam Smith's I think they had forgetten about. Anyway I thought I would give a try as I had the Strawberry one a while back and I didn't remember it sucking too bad.

Pours bruise red with a short lived pink head. It smells of sour cherries and a tinge of the cough syrup but that is not dominating and doesn't even bother me. The taste is pretty good, not as sweet as the Lindemans but not as sour as Cantillions, somewhere in the middle with plenty of room for enjoyment. I would buy this again, I hope it is decent fresh as it is aged however long it was before I found it.

4.14/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from the bottle into an oversized wine glass. Poured a deep ruby red color with a thin light head of red bubbles. The head vanished quickly, but the carbonation level remained high.
The aroma was overwhelming sour cherries... mouthwatering sweet aroma that shows a huge proportion of cherries used in this brew. There was no bitterness in the nose at all... more like a cherry cool aid than a cherry flavored beer.
The flavor followed the aroma with sweet sour cherries completely dominating. They say cherry on the label and that is exactly what you get. Definitely on the sugary sweeter cherry beer side.

2.41/5  rDev -35.7%

This beer pours a cherry red color with a small white head with red tints in it. The head fades slow, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has a very cherry aroma. It is almost cloying. It smells slightly like cherry cough syrup. Maybe a little like a cough drop.

This beer tastes like it smells. I get the feeling I am taking a ricola cough drop. Not much to it but cherry.

This beer is highly carbonated. It leaves a sweet, cough syrup aftertaste.

I doubt I will ever even think about tis beer again. It would make a poor session beer.

2.83/5  rDev -24.5%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy cherry soda color with a pinkish head that hangs around for the duration and leaves some lacing

Smell: Cherry cough syrup...enough said

Taste: Starts out very sweet like a cherry soda and then the tartness hits mid-palate but never really does the job of balancing the sweetness

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with good carbonation

Drinkability: I generally like fruit beers but this one is just too sweet for my palate; I cannot even finish the bottle

4.27/5  rDev +13.9%

Different. Seemed too sweet at first, but the sweetness was tamed as i made my way through the glass. Definitely an English interpretation of a Kriek. Very well done. Drinkable. Overflowing with tart cherry aroma, matched by a flavor of the same.

The real question is, why don't we have this in AL when it fits within all our laws, and we have plenty of other beers imported by Merchant du Vin? I shall inquire.

3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

300ml Bottle bought from the Vineyard, Belfast..

Poured a bright red colour... Head was very pink and poured very big and foamy. This settled to a nice thin layer which lasted throughout...

Aroma - Creamy cherries, vanilla, maybe some apple hints, slight peppery notes...

Taste – Sweet, hints of spiciness, some sourness, very strong cherry flavour, vanilla notes...

Feel - Very creamy...

Overall - A pretty good fruit beer. Maybe a little too sweet.... Definitely worth a try though....

3.03/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a deep dark reddish brown, with a moderate reddish off-white head that drops to nothing quickly.

Initial aroma is definitely cherry. My thought was Smith's cough-drop artificial cherry. But the label says made with fresh cherries. Oh, not quite, the label says "Beer with Cherry Juice Added" next to the cool old timey print of an old brewery industrial complex... hmmm...

Let's look more closely for the right info-- "brewed with malted barley, wheat, hops, yeast, water, & fresh cherries" and "Stamford is one of Great Britain's most beautiful and historic market towns"- good to know for my next trip! But what does that have to do with beer?

Cough drop aroma is waht I'm sticking with- my girlfriend came up with the description (it's her beer, after all, I'm just checking it out!).

The flavor definitely follows through the sweet cherry profile, but it's helped out by some sour cherry as well, also the spontaneous fermentation adds a bit of complexity that is a welcome balance. Overall, way to sweet/fruity for me, but my girlfriend likes it (but doesn't love it).

I'll be going back to my gueuze now....

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%

The beer poured into the chalice clear ruby with a light pink head which rose quickly and fell just as rapidly to lace the glass.

The aroma was cherries. Nuttin' but cherries. Like sniffing a bowlful of cherry lifesavers. To be fair there was just a hint of acidity in the aroma, but mainly it was a candy aroma of cherries.

The flavor was sweet on the palate as first contact is made and then the flavor dries slightly. The cherries in the aroma aren't there just for show, they really take a stand in the flavor. The acidity assists with drying out the flavor and the cherries taste more authentic than they smell.

The finish was dry with a linering cherry presence and a lingering acidity that was quite nice. The body was medium light. The cherries in the aroma seem artificial while the flavor seems more authentic.

12 ounce bottle, no freshness dating. Not a bad beer, but no real complexity exists.

4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

355ml bottle

Pours with a deep ruby red body, some slight hints of pink and mahogany. Fluffy pink head, good retention

Smell, cherries, vanilla, yogurt, cream

Taste, tart and slightly citric. Fizzy cherry mouthfeel, lasting creaminess on the palette

A tasty english take on the traditional lambic style. A solid and refreshing fruit beer, no real lambic funk but went really well with a slice of strawberry and fresh cream sponge

3.8/5  rDev +1.3%

A grayish-pink, small, fizzy head sits on a deep, clear, cherry-red beer. Funky, spicy cherry in the nose: nicely tart. Sweet cherries in front. And what is that... nutmeg? Deep cherries through the not-too-sweet middle. Tart in the finish, a little funk, some nice spices. Again, this is fruit-juicy, but the lambic sour and funk is definitely there. Tasty. Sweet, but I can live with it (unlike the Lindemans).

3.05/5  rDev -18.7%

Pours a light pink, two finger head, fades slowly and leaves a good lace. Light carbonation and light bodied. Cloudy red color. Nose is a strong cherry. Like drinking a cherry soda, no detectable hops, finishes on the tart side. Good beer for someone who doesn't like beer. Expensive - $6.99 for a 12oz bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

4.52/5  rDev +20.5%

The beer pours a deep dark purple color with a thick frothy reddish purple head that fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It has a very fruity and tart cherry scent that is quite pleasant to the nose. The taste is great as well. It has an intense cherry flavor that goes down easy like candy. It has quite a tart finish which is very refreshing. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonaton. This is a damn good brew. I could drink about a gallon of this stuff.

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

Another sweet, but very drinkable brew from the brothers Melbourn. Dark ruby red with light red highlights and a head of pink-tinged foam. Aromas are pure cherry juice, cherry puree, and all things cherry. Not much of an ale base here. This is fruit juice beer all the way. Taste follows through with some soft ale-ish malt flavors and a burst of fresh, not artificial tasting cherries and sugar. There is also some spiciness to be found, but this stuff just gets a little too cloying over time. Mouthfeel is medium-light and drinkability is good, but the sweetness cuts it down a bit. Still a nice cherry beer for sure. All cherry lovers should buy this by the case.

3.4/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Dark, muddy reddish-brown color, with a layer of wafer-thin light-pink foam on top.

Aroma: Strong sweet red-apple aroma (yes, I smell apples, not cherry).

Flavor: Fairly sweet fruit flavor hits up front, with only the slightest bit of balancing sourness at the end. Wild-yeast lambic character is minimal.

Body: Light bodied, as expected.

Least interesting of the Melbourn beers, by far (my bias against sweetness may be to blame; I can't stand most sweet foods). The strawberry has excellent aroma, and the apricot has a complex taste. This lacks anything distinguishing.

3.23/5  rDev -13.9%

This beer claims to have spontaneous fermentation. The label says that it contains malted barley, hops, yeast, water and fresh cherries. It does not say what the underlying style was meant to be. It is close in taste to a kriek lambic and seemingly it has a similar yeast induction process.

This beer poured a deep cherry red with a full pink head that lasted for quite some time and left a lot of lace on the side of the glass.

The sweet cheeries overpower all other aspects in the nose and on the tongue. It does have a sour finish after taking several sips. The alchohol level is so low it adds nothing to the taste. This is sweet swwweeeetttt SWEET/

The mouthfeel is medium full and has a tingle from the carbonation particularly on the roof of the mouth. When the sourness finally kicks in, there is a parchness in the throat as well.

This beer would be nice as an after dinner drink - that is what their website suggests. Too many of these and I think you will have them flowing red backdraft, but one with certain deserts would be fine. This is an interesting beverage, but at nearly $6 a bottle, I think I would go for an authentic kriek.

3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

This beer pours a dark red color with an oddly red colored head. The aroma is of sweet cherries, but that is about it. The flavor is very full of cherry with sweetness and finishes with a slightly bitter taste. Some acidity there. Dry as well. Not bad and very interesting.

4.19/5  rDev +11.7%

The beer dispenses from the 355ml brown bottle a deep cherry color with a modest cherry colored frothy head and the residual lace a thin but concealing sheet. Nose is sweet cherry, fresh and crisp, and very appetizing with the start tart cherry sweet and a fair to middling profile, top is light to moderate in its feel to the palate. Finish is biting in its acidity and the cherry sweetness lingers on in the aftertaste, quite dry and a delightful change of pace.

4.54/5  rDev +21.1%

The beer is just pretty. It pours a deep red color with a nice rose-colored head. When they say cherry, they mean cherry. The nose is strictly fresh crushed cherries. Beautiful. Initially drawing the beer into my mouth, I have a nice, sweet cherry flavor, but upon swallowing the beer, there is a nice tart, sour that almost causes me to pucker my lips, but balances out the sweet cherry flavor nicely. This is just a nice beer. This one is moderate in mouthfeel, with enough carbonation to keep it dancing. As far as things go, this is a nice easy drinking beer. I've enjoyed the other two offerings I have had from this brewery, but this is my favorite so far.

3.87/5  rDev +3.2%

I'm not sure why this beer has a lot fewer reviews than its Strawberry and Apricot brothers; it seems to me they'd all be equally available. Cherry is my favorite flavor of those three, so I'm expecting to like this version best of all.

Melbourn Bros. Cherry looks like good old-fashioned red pop. The beer is dark cherry red and the head is a girlie light pink, soft and frothy. The head is on the small side and persists for a respectable amount of time. Two interconnected rings of lace sit perched above the beer's surface for the life of the bottle.

The nose is of sweet cherries mixed with Chardonnay. It doesn't really smell like beer, but that's okay. People who drink these Melbourn Bros. beers more than once should know what they're in for. Personally, I like 'em.

The flavor, to state the glaringly obvious, is the cherry version of the Melbourn line. That is to say, bright and fruity, sweet-and-sour cherries. At least the cherry flavor doesn't taste artificial, as it does in many cherry fruit beers brewed by those with less talent than the brothers Melbourn.

Good balance between sweet and tart; the relative proportions of each are just about how I'd have drawn them up. The total amount of sugar present and the somewhat thick, syrupy mouthfeel do tend to limit drinkability for me however. More than one bottle at a time is simply unthinkable and I tend to slow down quite a bit near the end.

In the final reckoning, I guess that I like all three of this brewery's fruit beers about the same (I might give the nod to this one if I was forced to choose). They aren't all that beer-like and I can't drink them often, but once in a while these sweet-tart treats hit the spot.

3.81/5  rDev +1.6%

Whoa! I like this beer! It pours a deep ruby color with little head. The smell was fruity and tart, yet cherry cough syrup visions filled my head.

Now for the best part: the taste! I love Black Cherry Lambic so I tried this beer because of it. The taste started with an intense tingle of carbonation that was quite refreshing. The tartness first hits you with a zing then is nicely compensated by sweet cherries. Those of you who have been to a Sonic Drive-In...think Cherry Limeade!

I'll definately drink it again.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Melbourn Bros. Cherry from Melbourn Bros.