Angel City Che - Angel City Brewery

Angel City CheAngel City Che

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Angel City Brewery visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  ABV ?

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-22-2008

Reviews by sloejams:
3.03/5  rDev +0.7%

The 1st time I saw this beer, I thought, "wow, how's that for exploitation". Angel City has never "wowed" me and with this beer emblazoned with a famous pic of Che Guevera, I knew it was unlikely I would like this beer.

Sure as my blood beats 1/4 Latino blood - I saw this for what it was: public domain images on beer bottles as a selling point. Pretty sad. I expected a Corona-clone. Thankfully it wasnt and was a lil bit better.

Angel City could be the darling of Los Angeles, but (perhaps for being based in Torrance) - until this Che silliness, they just didnt care to be. They push a series of 22oz of theirs and now some of their brand beer they served during the region's biggest Oktoberfest (right on the shared property with Angel City - think same owners).

Back to the point: Che Beer. Not bad, though I am glad he didnt live to try this...

1.5/5  rDev -50.2%

Ok, this one was really expensive for what I got. This is a major macro flavor, fizzy piss color, not very inviting. The smell, for what it is, is small and grainy. The taste, macro city. Same for the mouth. I usually put points higher for the drinkability for something like this, but it reminds me of Old English 800. Not my favorite, for sure.

3.12/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours golden with a fluffy white head that fades somewhat quickly to a cap. Smells fairly clean and fresh, and more of malt than adjuncts. Lightly sweet, and creamy, perhaps some corn creeps in as it warms. Fairly pleasant taste. Lightly sweet, with a more pronounced corn note, but not vegetal or skunky in the least. Relatively clean, crisp, and with a light, but noticeable dosing of hops that fade too quickly. The sweetness grows a bit as bit warms. Not thick or grainy, but perhaps a bit oily. Not my favorite style, but loads better than most of them.

3.89/5  rDev +29.2%

I got a case of this beer straight from the Angel City Brewery in Alpine Village.

The beer is a brilliant, crystal-clear gold color, and it has a retentive frothy white head. Soapy lacing was left on the glass as the beer went down.

Freshly poured, Che has an aroma of resinous hops. The resin aroma quickly disappears and gives way to sweet malt and light floral hops.

The most prominent flavors are of cereal grain, and light floral hops. The beer has a light residual hop bitterness and a grainy aftertaste.

Che has a delicate body, moderate to high carbonation, and a dry finish.

This is a great gateway beer to persuade the American-shit-beer drinkers to consider craft beer. I haven't seen very many craft brewers take on this style. Great effort on Angel City's part. Grab a case of this, go out, and perpetuate the craft beer revolution!

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

I'm not going to get all heady and talk about how this is using an image to sell and that's bad, everybody does it and I think these guys use it in a good way, lighten up folks, it's beer.My first Angel City beer and I was very happy with it. It pours a light amber, smell is bready somewhat. The taste is very refreshing, light and biscuity. This is very drinkable and if they need to put a label that stand out from the rest to get people to try it than so be it, good beer.

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle with no date. Pours a clear gold color with medium white head.
Light biscuity malt
Sweet malt with hint of fruit apricot. More flavor than regular lager but borderline too sweet.
Light body with a silky texture. Moderate carbonation.
Really easy drinking beer. Had hard time reviewing beer because I finished it so fast.

Angel City Che from Angel City Brewery
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.