Cantus Caeli - Grado Plato

Cantus CaeliCantus Caeli

Grado Plato visit their website
Italy

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.50% ABV

Malt beverage brewed with honey and grapes and matured in oak barrels.

(Beer added by: aasher on 07-24-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantus Caeli Alström Bros
pathman

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

01-31-2013 01:12:28 | More by pathman
KickbacksSteve

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

Actually a blend of wine wort, beer wort and mead wort fermented together, then barrel aged. Technically not a beer, but part of it is so what the heck, I guess its OK to have on this site. Pours still, slightly cloudy, copper in color. No lacing at all. Aroma of honey, malt sweetness, some alcohol, molasses. Seems like the wine and mead flavors dominate the aroma. Taste is tart, quite dry, mildly sweet, slightly sour. Some raspberry like taste, some honey sweetness, some grape like qualities. Warming. Extremely difficult to describe and certainly like nothing I've tried before. I love beer (naturally) and don't care for wine or mead so I didn't have much expectation for this but it is actually a very interesting drink that I would say anyone would enjoy and should experience at least once. Groundbreaking, I'm sure. Great experience. Hard to score.

08-06-2011 04:48:06 | More by KickbacksSteve
mt24turner

4.13/5  rDev +4%

pours somewhat muddy with a clouded copper color, no carbonation, no head, no lace

the smelll is incredibly unique and just explodes with fruit and fermentation. described by my mother as smelling like a really good quality fruitcaked fermented. very enjoyable

taste is complex. somewhat tart finish, plum, dry red wine, honey, flowery, just a playground of fermented goodies.

medium bodied and easy to drink, would like some carbonation

definately a beverage to try, or save for a special occasion, great choice to share with someone whos more of a wine person.

08-28-2012 01:27:26 | More by mt24turner

08-12-2013 02:16:36 | More by n2185
aasher

Indiana

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

The bottle says that this is a "Malt beverage brewed with honey and grapes and matured in oak barrels". I don't really know what to expect from this one. This was poured from a 16.9oz, oddly shapen bottle. It pours a medium bodied ruby red in color with little carbonation. A ring of clear bubbles formed around the rim of the glass and quickly dissipated. The aromas are of sweet red grapes, honey, and sweet pale malts. It has almost a perfume like essence. The flavor consists of sweet red wine, honey, and oak with a touch of alcohol. The red wine and oak dominate, and in that order during the drinking process. It is very, very reminiscent of a few Italian red wines that I've had, with added sweetness. The longer I think about it, it's also pretty similar to Juicy Juice's Fruit Punch and Grape juice. It's just a very intriguing beer. The worst part is that the beer drinks completely flat. It has no carbonation at all and drinks between thin and medium in body. I didn't expect that but I considered it as a possibility so it doesn't throw me off too much. This is actually an interesting drink but it is a good beer? It's solid, but it's hard for me to fully get behind it. It's almost like a beer/red wine hybrid.

07-24-2011 02:37:40 | More by aasher
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.2/5  rDev -19.4%

Bought this one on the sole suggestion of funkydelic at GBX because he said he had never had it. aasher had this and gave it a 3.5? Oh crap, what have I done!? Shared with my doppelganger this weekend as a night-cap. Served from bottle into a New Belgium globe. Poured a reddish-orange brown with no head whatsoever. Obviously there was no lacing left behind. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, toffee, grape, subtle honey, wood, and sweet alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, honey, wood, sweet alcohol, and subtle grape. It had a medium feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. There was just something about this brew that made it hard to drink. The flavor was okay, but it took quite awhile for both my doppelganger and I to get this one down. The alcohol on it was a little abrasive, but it was sweet which helped it out some. Worthy of trying to say you ticked it, but I'm not sure I would have it again.

03-05-2012 14:30:21 | More by thagr81us
Cantus Caeli from Grado Plato
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.