Big Red Ale - Red Car Brewery and Restaurant

Big Red Ale
No picture uploaded.

Red Car Brewery and Restaurant visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 08-06-2006)
Reviews by JamesMcCaffrey:
3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

JamesMcCaffrey, Sep 17, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

On tap at the Red Car Brewery. A deep red color with a small head. Clear. Aroma is a little carmely and a little hop aroma. Taste is clean and balanced. More rich caramel and a hint of roast in there. Very drinkable. Not overly sweet and drys in the finish. A nice beer, but I want a little more caramel and hops.

Brewsmith, Nov 22, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

Served in a chilled pint at the bar. I wait a few minutes for it to warm a bit.
A deep dark red color with a dense frothy head that laced till about half way through.
An English style ale with tons of malt character and mouthfeel, lots of mouthfeel, very meaty.
Hops on the nose were mild but aromatic, a nice spice and floral arrangement. The hop flavor did stand up to the malt profile and kept you wanting more.
The finish and the aftertaste were by far the best I have had in awhile. Lingering flavors of roasted malt and hops lasted the whole 45 minute ride home.
Will be going back very soon.

dbONE, Sep 30, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

Decent and drinkable if unspectacular red ale.

Not as god as Port's Sharkbite Red, but still quite enjoyable.

Didn't have the time to sample any of their other brews tonight, but I hope to rectify that problem when I return.

Good Crowd and knowledgable staff.

pinballwhizard, Jun 01, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Really dark, almost like a porter but with some faint red highlights. Light khaki head is very small but a ring is represented on the glass.

S: Malty, strawberries, caramel and a hint of coffee.

T: Very sweet and malty with toasted grains, weak coffee and caramel. Finishes with raspberries, maple and slightly bitter.

M: Medium body with a decent carbonation.

D: Good red. Definately one of their better beers. This and the IPA is what you should be drinking while at Red Car.

Westsidethreat, Aug 06, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I went to the Red Car brewery to try their annually released Pumpkinhead brew. My girlfriend ordered the sampler. Of the beers she had sampled, I had already had my share of their porter (lacking in carbonation but pretty flavorful) and was bored with the Motorman's Reserve, so I decided to give a pint of the Big Red a shot.

It poured a clean but opaque amber with a very light lace in the center of the surface.

The odor was almost nonexistent, at least to my untrained olfactory system. I could just barely pick up on a malty quality, but nothing to really clue me in to what was about to hit my palate.

As the liquid entered my mouth, for a brief moment, it tasted watered down, and then BAM! Spicy. It just now dawned on me why they call this Big Red...or at least why I think they should called it Big Red. The effect on my palate was much like that of chewing on a stick of Big Red chewing gum - very spicy, teetering between cinnamon and clove, and leaving a tingling sensation on my palate. This sensation was a bit too intense for me, especially given that there wasn't much flavor going on outside of this and an underlying maltiness. Oddly enough, the finish was remarkably clean: the burning sensation lifted, there was a trickle of subtle fruitiness, and then it was gone. Another sip, another attack, and then once again my mouth was at peace.

Of the beers they had on tap at the time, this one packed the biggest punch (although the South Loop porter was more complex and the Pumpkinhead was more drinkable), but it wasn't really my style.

instrumentality, Oct 25, 2006
Big Red Ale from Red Car Brewery and Restaurant
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.