Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Pisgah Pale Ale - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah Pale AlePisgah Pale Ale

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: brentk56 on 08-01-2005

Formerly known as Pisgah American Style Pale Ale.

Pisgah Pale is a perfect blend of rich organic malts with whole-leaf Chinook and Nugget hops. A crisp, clean profile makes this, our flagship beer, distinct. 31 I.B.U.
4.18/5  rDev +10.6%

On tap at pisgah brewery

A - cloudy golden orange. Thin head that sticks on the side of the glass.

S - citrus, fruit, mild hops

T - it's all here, hops, clean finish, some mild sweetness, malts, some back of tongue bitterness.

M - spot on. Great balance.

O - defintiely one of the better apa's I have had. Organic and fresh makes a difference.

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%

Nice! In a can, now I can have this without dealing with the hassle of a growler. I don't have many people with my thirst for fine craft ales around here. This is one of my favorite beers, I always get it at least one trip to the bar if they have it on draft. I have drank it for years. On to the review. Nice red ale color a little hazy, the smell a bit of hoppiness, but not too strong, just a well rounded American style Ale. Also, I would like to interject here that the person below stated that theirs was 5.7 abv, this one says 5.1 %. I don't know if there is a variance or if they just confused the 1 or a 7. I looked really close to make sure. The taste is a perfect balance of smoothness with just a hint of the hop bitterness but not overly malty either. I have always loved this beer and I am so happy they are canning it now, I hope they keep this up. I have heard some confusing information about whether they are going to keep doing this or rotate it to another in their lineup. I hope this is a harbinger of things to come and not a one and done.
Overall, if you cant find it in cans, drink it on draft, its amazing, if you can find it in cans, don't buy too many because I am going back and picking up another couple of sixers.

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass

A - Golden color with what started as a thin white head and quickly gave way to no head at all

S - Balanced smell, caramelly, sweet malts with a light hop aroma

T - Crisp, fresh, balanced taste with a faint wood flavored finish, has a decent amount of flavor but neither the malt nor hops stand out

M - Decently carbonated with a light to medium body

D - Easy to drink and is a good representation of the style. If this beer was easier to obtain I would probably pick this up more often and drink when I just wanted a simple beer that I didn't have to think about. I am a little disappointed though, I was expecting something magnificent due to the reputation of the brewery.

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours a light copper color with a touch of haze , and little in the way of head retention or lacing.

S: very light aroma, with only wisps of pacific northwest hops coming through.

T: a slight malty sweet front quickly succumbs to grapefruit and pine. A tad sweeter than I prefer, but definitely within the style guidelines.

M: light body, great effervescence, and a mostly clean finish. There is also a slight astringency that is typical with hoppy brews.

O: definitely a solid apa, but there are so many great ones out there that it is hard to give it a higher score. nonetheless, it is a hell of a great brew from one of the most impressive beer scenes in the us.

22oz bottle recieved from Mikesgroove. Thanks alot man!!!

A- Pours a golden honey orange with a thin white head that leaves decent lacing.

S- Sweet caramel pale malts with a slight earthy hop presence. Not to much there.

T- Floral earthy hops up front with a solid pale malt base. Some lemon and citrus in there as well.

M- Medium body with moderate carb and a slight bitter dryness in the finish.

3.61/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Lots of argle bargle on this can about clean water, organic ingredients and such. OK, great, but how does your beer TASTE? I am going to find out!

Appearance 3.75: Poured out a slightly opaque deep golden color. Good head (1/2") with excellent lacing.

Smell 4.0: Great bouquet. Light malt with a big hoppiness that tantalizes the nose.

Taste 3.75: Front is slightly hoppy and this fades into the Middle where a light malt and pleasant hop blend clashes with the unmistakable taste of corn and boiled veggies (oh, DMS you are a fickle mistress). Finish is slightly smoky (!) and clean with very light malt and slight hops. Aftertaste is long, with a pleasant taste of grains.

Mouthfeel 3.25: I found the mouthfeel to be a bit too watery for the style. It needs to be beefed up a bit in the middle of the palate.

Overall 3.5: A solid Pale Ale that is refreshing, pleasant and satisfying. Would be a great sessioner. It is not perfect and has several flaws in the flavor profiles, but nonetheless, is a good brew. Six packs can run the gambit, but my advice is do not pay more than $9 for a sixer of these.

A: Opaque copper colored body with off-white head. Excellent lacing and head retention.
S: Sweet toffee and biscuity aromas. Lightly floral notes.
T: Caramel, bread, toffee up front with dry hoppy bitter finish. Balanced.
M: Smooth, crisp, dry brew.
O: Very drinkable APA in a can! Quite good.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a golden-amber color with an enormous fluffy white head. The bubbles stay around like giant clouds and laces the sides of the glass. The beer is also perfectly clear. It looks wonderful. The smell has faint hops and a bit of sweetness. It's not bad, there's nothing off-putting, just nothing very powerful. The taste more than makes up for the smell. Very crisp, with a light floral hoppiness. You get a bit of citrus, like sweet lemon juice. Overall, it's really a great tasting beer. The mouthfeel is a bit watery. I mean, I don't expect it to be full and chewy because its a pale ale, but I feel like the hops and sweetness could be a bit more full as it finishes. The carbonation level is great. This beer begs you to take the next taste, and it may not be as easy to drink in a session at 5.5% ABV, but really worth a try.

3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

On-tap at the brewery as part of a flight.

Pours and orange/amber with a small white head. Pretty dark for an APA. Smell is piney hops with a bed of grapefruit poking through. The taste has lots of orange citrus with the pine as a secondary flavor. Malt presence is very weak and I think it could use a bit more carbonation.

Solid APA, but I think they can do better.

From notes, Mar 17, 2012

3.09/5  rDev -18.3%

(Litre) draught at the Biergarden, Asheville NC

First off, perhaps getting a litre-size was not the best idea. I was so impressed that the establishment offered the litre option for the taps (and at the prices!) that I felt like I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Just not sure if this was the best brew to go with.

I have been a fan of Pisgah brewing for some time. This particular offering is probably my least favorite of their array, however.

Appearance: Copper, cloudy, like a good craft APA should be. Inviting.

Nose: What in the world!?! My least favourite part of the whole experience. Again, might have been the litre mug, might have been an off-tap, who knows? An off nose, at any rate: almost on the way to a "rancid" quality. To the point where in order to enjoy the taste (which I did) I had to close off my nose whilst sipping.

Taste: Smooth and hoppy. All of Pisgah's brews must use the same yeast strain, because I recognized a certain Pisgah-y familiarity on the tongue.

Palate: Snappy and crisp. Very APA-appropriate.

Overall: I'm disappointed in a very good brewery for this one. Again, I might have had an off tap or an off glass. Drink it cold, is my advice.

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

Serving type- 22 ounce bomber poured into a Pisgah pint glass.

A- Pours a dark orange, almost amber color. Initally there is a massive head but it gradully falls away to a nice even one; this head produces a nice white lacing that sticks around to the end of the glass. There is a lot of carbonation activty after the pour as well. Overall a good looking pale ale.

S- I am picking up only subtle hints of pine and hops in this one. In my opinion, there seems to be little, if any smell notes coming off this beer.

T- This is a very tasty APA. I taste the bitter hop notes from start to finish. Nothin overwhelming but a nice even taste that is strong enough for an APA but not teetering on the IPA style. Overall a very good APA offering that I could easily see as a session beer if it were available to me on a regular basis.

I had previoulsy had this before at the brewery on tap but I was unable to take notes. I did remember that it was a good beer and that if given the chance I should try it again. Once again Pisgah has made good stuff and I definately will be having any chance I get.

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%

Purchased fresh from Greenlife in Asheville
Pours a pale almost orange color with a beige one-finger head that is hanging steady. Spotty lacing is left behind after initial sips.
Aroma-sweet,whiffs of caramel, hops are light but a deep inhale gets some piney hop essence.
Mouthfeel-medium bitterness, malt flavors are tasty, but the malt profile is not that sweet or full. A froth on the palate gets the hops activated and finishes with some medicinal, almost astringent hop bitterness. I can not claim to know what organically grown malts taste like but this pale ale has a unique malt flavor profile. This is a solid pale ale and actually quite sessionable. Anything Pisgah makes is always choice.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

22oz beer pored into standard pint glass.

Appearance-Pours a golden brown with an orange hue. About a fingers width head with great lacing and good head retention.

Smell-Initial smell is a malt sweetness with a slight caramel notes. Not getting to much hop aroma at all which is disappointing considering the beer style. Even though it has a lack of hop aroma it still smells appetizing.

Taste-Taste is good. Get some sweet malty notes with slight orangey zest in there. Do not get really any bitterness until the swallow but is only there slightly.

Mouthfeel-Medium body with slight carbonation. Good overall for this style.

Overall-Very drinkable pale ale. Not my favorite but could enjoy drinking this all day. Would like a more aggressive hop taste and aroma to balance out the malt character this beer contains. Good but not as good as its IPA sibling.

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

Pisgah: Pale Ale (No bottling date) (Tasted 06/16/10)
22 oz. bottle, poured into a dimple mug.

Appearance: Unfiltered hazy light amber, verging on brown beer with a healthy two millimeter head of frothy off-white foam, good retention, ok lacing.
Odor: Fresh white bread crust malt aroma with hints of toast leads off mild floral and spicy hops.
Consistency: Full end of light bodied, smooth, mid to high riding carbonation.
Taste: Cracker & raw grain malt flavors with a mild flower and spice hop bitterness punching holes now and again. Malt flavors go toastier into the finish, smooth and crisp with a bit of toast and spicy hop lingering for a few seconds.

Very pleasant pale ale, synthesizing aspects of early American pales and their English counterparts into a nice, drinkable beer!

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

Pale copper color. Smells like earthy/piney hops. Flavors are very well balanced, a good amount of bittering and a heavy enough malt presence. Tastes slightly bready. Definitely a great example of the style and is probably my favorite thing I've had from this brewery.

3.72/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Growler my roommate received from a friend. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Rich burnt orange color. Had a smallish white head that went away quickly and lift low lacing.

S: Pretty faint smell mostly floral scents along with some citrus and hops.

T: Taste like toasted toffee and malts. Hops and citrus present themselves stronger in the taste then in the smell.

M: Carbonation leaves a nice tingling on the tongue. Could have a bit more body to it. This is easy to drink.

O: I really enjoyed this as I have all other Pisgah beers ive tried. If your a fan of the stay I would say defiantly pick this up.

4.41/5  rDev +16.7%

Picked this baby up on a recent trip. Heard about it here on the forums and thought, why not.

1/2 growler between my co-homebrew father-in-law and myself. As I was picking up some other locals at the EarthFare, the cashier mentioned this beer to me. When I asked what it was like, all he could say is that it tasted like "melted angels". I knew I had to have some.

A rather deep yellow, near orange, but with a nice appearance, very reminiscent of a sunny afternoon. The white head is minuscule, and with a heavy pour it is hard to even get a solid 2 fingers. Regardless, there is a solid film that forms, with a substantial lacing that lingers throughout both pours.

The nose is rather complex, given that I am getting earthy malt, yet citrus and floral hops, all in one. With a nice malt backbone, bringing the more earthy tones it is rather nice and inviting, without being overly bitter.

Unlike most other Pale Ales, the hops are not in the forefront, but rather at the end. Starts with a nice almost caramel sweet malt base. The citrus notes are played against a floral hop base, giving a nice crisp finish. If it was fresher, as there was no date, I could only assume the hops would better served from the brewery.

So dang drinkable. This could be my new water, because the smooth nature to it is addictive. Mouthfeel is rather syrupy, but enjoyable.

Melted angel's? Near, as this could be one of the more enjoyable drinking beers to date. Damn fine beer

3.2/5  rDev -15.3%

poured from a 1 pint, 6 oz. bomber into a pint glass.

A - poured a medium amber, with a one-finger creamy head that quickly receded into less than a tight cap. thin lacing.

S - clean hops, piney resin.

T - very resin-like, quite pronounce phenols

M - medium toward heavy-bodied taste. tasted in very back of mouth. a tinny aftertaste/finish.

D - i'm a pale ale fan, but not of this one. the tin/alcohol taste kept it from being overly enjoyable.

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

I apologize for the lack of detail, as I'm doing this review from memory. The appearance was typical for pale ales - light amber in color, clear, and had a decent head.

The smell was difficult for me to determine (this was at the Asheville Brewgrass Fest), but I could definitely smell the grassy hops.

Taste was terrific. This is one of the most unique pale ales I've had, and of all the beers I sampled at the Brewgrass festival, the most remarkable. I don't know if it was the type of hops used (Chinook and Mount Hood), or the fact that it was "USDA certified organic', but it was a very distinctly flavored pale. And it was very good, very drinkable. I only wish I could have purchased some to take home.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

A tasty, deeply-satisfying dry brew which I had the pleasure of trying - on tap - at at the lovely bar at the Asheville Airport!! I'd like to quote atsprings who said: " This is one I will surely seek out whenever I'm in the Asheville area!" Distribution to the Mid-Atl States would sure be appreciated!

4.37/5  rDev +15.6%

Thanks to Deuane for filling and bringing this beauty back from NC for me!! This is my third different Pisgah offering and I cannot wait for more.

A - Caramel colored beer. The beer pours from the growler with at least a finger of head that really doesn't last too long, but there was plenty of lacing.

S - Mostly earthy and grassy hops come through. There is just a faint maltiness that follows the initial hops.

T - Taste is great, but fairly straightforward. Hops aren't overpowering (it is a pale ale after all). There is a balance that I haven't found in many beers.

M - Close to medium bodied, low carbonation (which fits the beer). Smooth drinking.

D - 5. Not much more to say - easy drinking, great flavor, session beer. I split the growler with my wife, but I could have drunk the whole think easily. I only wish this one was regularly available!!

Thanks again Deuane, you the man!! (Enough props?)

4.5/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Pouring from a growler into my pint glass it has a short head that leaves slight lacing above the beautiful hazy amber beer. Big smell of flowering hops, fruits, and malt. Taste is almost perfectly balanced. Subtle sweet fruitiness, full lingering hop bitterness, with great tones of fresh grains. Nice mouthfeel with a slight bite from the carbonation. This is one of my favorite regular session beers, worth the trip to Black Mountain every week.

3.52/5  rDev -6.9%

Smells citrusy, but there is a little armpit-like twinge in there, as if it were a touch stale. Thiis the only turn off of this brew. Beer is well filtered which yields a handsome tangerine/burnt orange color. Flavor is rather malty, with hops mostly for flavor and not hitting too hard with bitterness. Slight citrus in the finish, but mostly a sweet, balanced malt flavor throughout. A touch biscuity. Goes down smooth, but never lacking in flavor. Not a big excitement, but incredibly pleasant.

3.35/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a copper, orange color with nice inch of head and good lacing. Nice smell of hops
(citrusy, piney). Very disappointed in taste after such a great aroma. Just a bland average taste that doesn't match the hoppy smell. Mouthfeel is fine and would be a good session beer if the taste was a little bit better. I would have again only if I had few other options.

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

6% pale ale from NC. Very cloudy orange color. At pizza paradisio a glass goes 6$. Glad i got a small glass cause its just comparing to thhe dogfish head saison du buff thats sitting on my table. Again, its ok. No aftertaste which is good. But it doesnt stand out either.

Pisgah Pale Ale from Pisgah Brewing Co.