Pisgah Pale Ale - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah Pale AlePisgah Pale Ale

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: brentk56 on 08-01-2005

Formerly known as Pisgah American Style Pale Ale.

Pisgah Pale is a perfect blend of rich organic malts with whole-leaf Chinook and Nugget hops. A crisp, clean profile makes this, our flagship beer, distinct. 31 I.B.U.
first ‹ prev | 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next › last
3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

Bomber poured into a Duvel tulip. Slightly hazy orangish amber. Smallish head, lazy streaks of lacing.

Smells and tastes pretty much like a scaled-down version of the Pisgah IPA and, much like that beer, I think this might better be categorized as the English version of the style rather than the American. Light floral notes weave in and out of the husky, grainy nose. Tastes pretty grainy, too, toasty and a touch nutty. Modest earthy and tealike hops. A fairly dry beer with a slight juiciness at the swallow.

Overall impression: Pleasant and easy-drinking, but would be more noteworthy as an English Pale than an APA. (625 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -18%

(Litre) draught at the Biergarden, Asheville NC

First off, perhaps getting a litre-size was not the best idea. I was so impressed that the establishment offered the litre option for the taps (and at the prices!) that I felt like I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Just not sure if this was the best brew to go with.

I have been a fan of Pisgah brewing for some time. This particular offering is probably my least favorite of their array, however.

Appearance: Copper, cloudy, like a good craft APA should be. Inviting.

Nose: What in the world!?! My least favourite part of the whole experience. Again, might have been the litre mug, might have been an off-tap, who knows? An off nose, at any rate: almost on the way to a "rancid" quality. To the point where in order to enjoy the taste (which I did) I had to close off my nose whilst sipping.

Taste: Smooth and hoppy. All of Pisgah's brews must use the same yeast strain, because I recognized a certain Pisgah-y familiarity on the tongue.

Palate: Snappy and crisp. Very APA-appropriate.

Overall: I'm disappointed in a very good brewery for this one. Again, I might have had an off tap or an off glass. Drink it cold, is my advice. (1,187 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

I love Pisgah's high gravity products, can't say I'm as fond of their session brews. This poured a slightly cloudy golden with not much head. The smell was grainy and even slightly sour- not a good sign, and it was poured for me straight from a keg being served by someone from the brewery. The taste was slightly better, but an initial sweetness seemed a little out of place. This was followed by some decent mild hoppiness and some light graininess. Mouthfeel was medium bodied and right for the beer. Okay, but there are plenty of other apas around that I enjoy more. Dissapointing in that many of their high gravs are outta this world. (639 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pisgah is a favorite stop while touring asheville, the pale ale (flagship) was a little underdeveloped or green. It's a great beer to enjoy with dinner but I'd prefer something fresher and refined for a daytime brew. The recipe seems to have changed in the years I've been drinking it, but it's always a good standby. (317 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -28.1%

Serving draft pint
Appearance amber/copper medium polish
Nose - light hop over 2 row

Strange overall. I wrote about this one because of the near cult like following of the brewery. The front end was cardboard which broke into really delightful shards of citrus & hops, but then the finish was bittering hops with no aromatics. Nice to try once, but Asheville has so many good microbrews, I will not be drinking this again (422 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -29.7%

On tap at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC

Appearance: Hazy bright copper.

Smell: Citrus, herbs, hops

Taste: Hops & oxidation. Pine resin.

Mouthfeel: Average

Drinkability: More IPA; I was not crazy about the hops used, would not drink again. Their high gravities are much better. (287 characters)

first ‹ prev | 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next › last
Pisgah Pale Ale from Pisgah Brewing Co.