Solstice - Pisgah Brewing Co.

SolsticeSolstice

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: oberon on 03-12-2006

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
4.88/5  rDev +21.1%

So I finally made it up there to take on the Solstice. I have heard such good things, and particularly regarding this batch that I really needed to get up there to try and see what Dave keeps raving about. Your typical looking Pisgah bottle, I pulled this one straight out of the fridge and served it in Mock Turtle.

Appearance - Holy Snikes! We have a foamer! This one damn near exploded when I popped the cork, literally waking the baby and scaring the neighbors, that was one hell of a pop. To its credit, nothing left the bottle. Poured it into the glass, this one simply foamed up the entire glass, and I had to make several additional to get a nice one poured, but wow this was big. Has to be the most carbonated beverage I have ever had the chance to try, Duvel included. A beautifully golden yellow, the haziness of it only served to magnify the shine it gave off. Some light sediment in the bottle, but that was from me, as I like it. A towering head of white foam at least four inches high, that never faded or let up in any way, in fact it seemed to just stay there forever. This was just insanely good looking. Very impressed with this.

Smell - The aroma was very light and airy. Lots of grains here with a touch of yeast in the aroma. Light banana and lemon. Some light touches of grass and even the slightest bit of grape. This was every bit as complex as it was light. The carbonation was literally tingling my nose, it was just that good.

Taste - The flavor was not coming on extraordinarily well also. Super light, and full of flavor, this was an instant classic as soon as I took the first sip. Very nice light notes of yeast and wheat, some light fruit backed in as well. Nice hints of peach and a touch of wine like alcohol, but very light and more of a subtle nice surprise then anything else. The flavor was insanely good, and at times effortless. The finish was dry; almost a champagne like dryness to it with a long lasting flavor of grass or wet hay, and you just had to go back for another sip when it was done.

Mouthfeel - The most light bodied, most highly carbonated triple you could possibly ever hope to drink. The carbonation was absolutely beautiful with tiny bubbles just rippling through your mouth and offering one of the nicest profiles I have ever seen.

Drinkability - This was absolutely outstanding. I could not even begin to describe how good this one tasted. It was just simply outstanding in every way; the alcohol was practically non existent and the lightness of the body just lended itself perfectly to being sipped constantly and even on a nice hot day.

Overall, wow, I am not even sure what to say. This was far and away my favorite of the big Belgian style ales from Pisgah that I have tried, my only regret was that I did not pick up more of it when I was up there, but that is sure to change as I intend to grab a few cases very very soon. (2,896 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy honey color with a billowy head that sticks and laces nicely

Smell: Doughy with hints of banana, spice and alcohol

Taste: Starts out with a fruity combination of overripe pineapple, banana and clove that builds in a peppery direction by mid-palate; after the swallow, the flavors meld together nicely, with a slightly boozy finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with loads of carbonation

Drinkability: Sort of a cross between a BSPA and a tripel, but that is not such a bad thing in my opinion; I just purchased this one today and wasn't planning to drink it so soon but it blew its stack in the car on the way home (the outside temperature was in the high 90s) - I stuck it in the freezer when I got home and enjoyed it right away (754 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -9.7%

I recommend opening this one in the sink! When a popped the cork with a LOUD pop a geyser of foam rushed out and soaked my counter-top, counters, floor, shirt and me up to my elbows. After the mess was cleaned up I gave it +.5 in apperance because it was pretty cool. I've had them gush out before but never quite like that.
Pale gold in color. Hazy. Massive pillowy head. Looks like a bubble bath. Thick lacing last forever. Very attractive and sophisticated looking beer.
Bananna and Belgian yeast in the aroma. Somewhat faint but pleasant.
Flavor is pale malts with hints of wheat. Bananna and light spices. It's not the typical flavors of a triple but I kinda like the light subdued flavors. No less complex than other triples just more relaxed tasting.
Good mouthfeel with lively carbonation.
It's a sipper. The alcohol is well hidden but it's not one you would want to drink several of. Just a nice relaxing beer.
Solstice is not one of Pisgah's best beers. But an average beer from Pisgah would be a lot of breweries best. (1,030 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Served on-tap in a tulip glass.

Appeared to be a hazy yellow/light orange color. Unfortunately the bartender did not leave a head on it.

The beer smelled of bananas and possibly some other citrus fruits, orange or lemon. It also had some spice to it as well as some yeast.

The taste was great. Classic Belgian tripel. The citrus and banana really came out and the alcohol was very noticeable but not completely overpowering. It is sweet and complex and finishes smooth.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer, but I am not sure that one would want to drink more than 2 of these at a time. Definitely a beer that you want to sit back and enjoy. This is a beer that I would definitely want to order again. (705 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -1.7%

Notes from a Pisgah tasting, December '07.

This is their year-round Belgian Trippel offering. A sour nose (yum!) gives rise to fruity esters, and the only thing that made it less than superb was that once-again slightly watery finish. Otherwise, very solid and true to the style. Gouda made it better with regards to the finish. (329 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a cloudy straw color with an impressive white head that didn't last too long, but left lots of lovely lacing.

Yeast, bananas and lemon are the major smells and tastes. The mouthfeel is fairly thick, but is well carbonated enough to make the beer drinkable.

This is a very tasty beer that's a good representative (or incarnation, I suppose) of the style. (361 characters)

on-tap at Barley's

a: hazy yellow in color, moderate head that recedes to leave a modest ring around the glass

smell and taste: Nice tripel aromas/flavors of yeasty banana with a moderately sweet, wheaty backbone. The big yeast character makes me think hefe-tripel. Delicate hop presence on the nose, with a papery hop flavor on the tongue and light bitterness.

mouthfeel: medium body, carbonation towards the medium range

d: Pretty easy, but two is plenty. (461 characters)

Nice beer from Pisgah. In general I find their bigger brews, especially their Belgian styles, to be their best offerings. This one pours a cloudy pale golden with a wispy head that leaves some sticky lacing. The smell is fairly light with some typical tangy Belgian yeast notes as well as a fairly large hit of coriander. The taste is bright with layered orange, lemon, and a slight graininess. Sweet with candi sugar throughout. Mouthfeel is bright and sweet without being sticky or cloying. A fairly mellow interpretation of the style, but bright and delicious nevertheless. Nice. (582 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -3.5%

I've had the chance to enjoy this before but never got around to reviewing it.

It is a pale golden color and the only flaw being a thinner head than there should be, which also fades somewhat quick. Still, a slow and steady carbonation.

Smell is very nice. Mostly fruity scents coming through...bananas, yep. Also some pear and a light hint of cherry for me. Spiced tones are also present.

Taste is pretty good but not quite what I expected. Definitely a spicy wheat combo going on. Slight alcohol burn and banana again. A little tart.

Mouthfeel is slick and somewhat chewy/sticky. Not bad at all.

Overall the drinkability is good...it kind of seemed to fall between the lines of a Tripel and Weizenbock but I still thought it was a good job by the people at Pisgah. (773 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

On tap with my buddy Khaismus in Asheville, whose review precedes mine.

Showed up in a goblet, was a hazy straw-yellow, with a 3cm tight white head that diminishes fast.

Yep, there’s certainly an overload of bananas in the smell, along with a bready, yeasty smell and some vague “spice”. Quite sweet, perhaps a bit overboard. No pineapple whatsoever for me, but there was an odd non-hop bitter smell going on...

Flavor is a bit lacking, the requisite bananas are there in spades, along with a sweet corn-syrup hit and some noticeable alcohol. Rather close to a very boozy German Hefe. Has a bit more complexity but nothing that jumps out aside from the bananas, which I felt were excessive. Mild esters and honey come through, although the finish is a bit sour. A good attempt at the style, and no off flavors, but a bit confused for my liking. Needs to be more balanced and with more discernible spice for my tastes.

Mouthfeel is acceptable, not overly carbonated.

Decent overall. If you’re crazy for bananas add a point to my score. Nice to see a regional brewer trying a difficult style. (1,110 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +4.5%

Served on tap at Barley's in Asheville.

A- Golden and cloudy, with light white head that settles to a ring quickly.

S- Bananas, honey, pineapple, malt, white bread, yeast, anise. I didn't catch any hop aroma. The Bouquet is flowery, sweet, and complex... makes you excited about the coming taste.

T- The taste is very good, but sadly not quite as good as the smell. Saccharine, dried bananas, citrus, sour yeast, corn, and alcohol. That about does it. No hops to speak of, and though complex, not as complex a flavor as the nose.

M- Medium-high carbonation, but slick, thick, and honey-like.

D- I could have several in a row. I loved it. (653 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Definitely the best beer (of the few) I tried at the Hickory Hops festival. This one won a top award previously and deserved it. No noticeable smell or taste of alcohol, nice light color. Fruity esters supported by a soft malt character. Hits the spot, especially for a NC brewer just getting their feet wet with high gravity brews. (332 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this at Hickory Hops beer festival. It has a nice pale golden color. Even in a small taster glass it had a nice creamy froth, that lasted to the end. Smooth fruity smells, maybe pineapplish, maybe pear, with a touch of spice. Has a medium body to the mouth. The maltiness helps to carry this beer to a 9% abv that you would not know, until it's too late. The sweet, crisp flavor keeps it well balanced and very enjoyable. Wish I could get this locally. (456 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured into a 10oz glass lighter dull golden with thinner than expected white head,phenolic aromas dominate maybe a bit to much was hoping for some citrus aromas but not really there.A good full mouthfeel,flavors are pretty subtle for such a big beer some spice that of clove and maybe a touch of nutmeg with an underlying pineapple fruitiness but a little subtle.Hmm its a beer thats rough around the edges and maybe needs to be tweaked a little but its worth giving a try. (474 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Solstice from Pisgah Brewing Co.