Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

to view more.
Ratings: 337 | Reviews: 204
Reviews by Enola:
4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

This beer is absolutly outstanding. A nice deep black with a tan head. The smell is like a pot of fresh coffee brewing. The taste is like a gourmet blend from the downtown coffee house. Mouthfeel is smooth and drinkability os wonderfull as well. This beer continues Pisgah's upward swing in NC brewing. The next time I have this brew I may add a litte cream and sugar. Great job Pisgah!!

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

I was glad to try this,had three at Barley's yesterday afternoon.Poured a jet black with tight formed mocha colored head that settled nicely into a creamy top.French roast coffee and bitter chocolate dominate the aromas,the coffee really hits home nicely.Flavors are also dominate by French roast coffee and bitter chocolate,but there is some molasses-like flavor to lend sweetness as well as a bit of earth in the finish.Very nicely done,heavy roast but enough sweetness to make it complete,well done.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

September 2008 bottle.

Deep black pour with an inch of light tan foam that leaves some spotty lacing and stays around for what seems like forever. Looks good in the glass. Aroma is bursting with fresh roasted coffee that's bright and vibrant. Smooth roast underneath with chocolate notes. Crisp maltiness throughout.

First sip smooth, clean roasted malt upfront that's immediately coasted by fresh coffee flavors. Chocolate works its way in along with a velvety smoothness. Bitterness hits on the way down but it's rather mellow. Finishes dry with lingering coffee flavors. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied, a bit on the lighter side but that just makes it easier to drink. Overall, a damn fine coffee stout and organic to boot. Very glad I got a chance to try this. Thanks to dmeadows.

3.82/5  rDev -8%

22oz into a Pisgah pint glass.

No bottled on date. Bottle says 6.5% abv.

Pours pitch black with the smallest sliver of ruby highlighting. A tiny bit of tan froth on top, but no real head to speak of.

Aroma is straight coffee. Roasty and a little sweet. It is one dimensional, but it is one of the best smelling coffe beers I've had.

Taste is bitter coffee, borderlining on burnt. I'd like a little more complexity here, but it's still pleasent.

The mouth is something of a letdown. It is more along the lines of an American Stout, way too thin for a double. Of course, the abv isn't all that imperial either, so the category kinda confuses me.

Drinkability is nice. The bitterness does linger, forcing you to take it slow to avoid palate fatigue, but its still a very very good coffe stout. It is almost reminiscent of Terrapin/Left Hand's Depth Charge, but not nearly as sweet. I'd love to see this one as a true Imperial at 10% or so.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Strongly flavored coffee stout. Sampled at the brewery.

A- very dark black pour with a tan head. Exceptionally durable beige head.

S - coffee! [4.25]

T- Stronger coffee flavor than any of the few other coffee stouts or porters I've sampled. Somewhat lacking in complexity: imagine a very fine stout + a cold expresso. Excellent sweet/bitter balance.

M: smooth [4.25]

D - an excellent brew best imbibed slowly in many small sips.

{revisited at brewery in Sept. 2012 -- high ratings generally confirmed, but felt it was a tad over carbonated this time}

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Another gem from MasterSki, sampled at the CE release. Hey, my GTOM taster is filled again... let's drink!

Pours a blackish tone with some brownish, ruby highlights. We have a solid tan head here.

Even though this is a 2008 bottle, I'm still getting tons of coffee in the nose. Very aromatic. Roasty, chocolatey goodness.

Same notes on the tongue, with some oatmeal perhaps, but this is really thin. Not a prototypical RIS by any stretch. The coffee is faded a bit, and we agree we'd like to try this one fresh for a proper rating in the future. Doesn't seem too complex. Straightforward coffee stout. Almost over-carbonated. I liked it a bit more at the beginning, but got bored with it at the end.

My second Pisgah beer, and while still quality, I'm not really keen on going out of my way for a third.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up from Bruisin' Ales in Asheville, NC - if I were smarter I would've picked up more than one.

Pours pitch black with a two-finger dark tan head. The head recedes into a thin pancake on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of creamy roasted coffee with hints of roasted malts in the background. A smell of things to come.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though a bit more complex. Roasted coffee flavors kick things off, with roasted malts coming in shortly. Near the end of the sip there's a good deal of dark chocolate that appears right before the mildly bitter, mildly dry ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a very nice thickness with mild carbonation that makes this go down very smoothly.

Drinkability is good. I could have finished this a lot quicker but I've been forcing myself to slow down and smell the malts.

Overall this is a very well done coffee stout that's definitely worth a shot.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer pours a jet black cocoa color with a tan head that boils away after a bit. There is a few tiny bubbles that glide up the side of the glass.

S- The ground coffee has a light breakfast roast quality with some earthy oat note in the finish.

T- The ground coffee has a slightly tart note and a fruity ester quality in the coffee's finish. There is a vegital capsicum flavor without any heat in the finish. A light inky hint lingers on the lips. As the beer warms there is a soft mellow black malt quality that comes through in the finish.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a tight fizz that scrubs the finish and no real alcohol.

O- This beer has some nice mellow coffee flavors but not much stout support and it finishes a bit vegital. As the beer warms the coffee takes on a bit of a stale quality.

3.57/5  rDev -14%

Thanks to Mikesgroove for the bottle.

750ml corked and caged brown bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark cola or root beer color with lots of carbonation. A big dark khaki head forms very frothy and only holds about a minute. Some lacing.

S: Plenty of coffee and chocolate to go around. Very sweet and I'm assuming Belgian candi sugar. Some nice roasty notes. Has a nice hop backing.

T/M: More of the big coffee notes and less of the chocolate. A bit too sweet with more of the Belgian candi sugar. A good hop character backing things up. Carbonation is very high and reflects on the taste.

D: I'm a bit disappointed. I had really been looking forward to this and it just wasn't everything I'd hoped for. I love coffee beers but just didn't dig this one as much. Decent but not the greatest.

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

I received a growler of this beer in the "February Growling at the Moon" exchange from mikesgroove. This was my first month in the exchange and all I can say is I hope every month's beer is this good, but it will certainly be hard to top!!

A - Dark brown to black. When held to the light....nothing at all shines through. There was not much head even after an aggressive pour. I'm assuming it may be because it is from the growler that was a few days old. The small head that did form lasted a very short period and there really was not much lacing as I drank.

S - Since I'm a coffee lover the smell was fantastic. There is not much else to the smell besides coffee, but again it was great to me.

T - Coffee through and through. As an earlier review mentioned, it was like a thick cup of coffee. I almost couldn't tell that it was a beer.

M - It was smooth, creamy, and full but not too full or syrupy. Carbonation just tickled tongue enough - that's what made me remember it was beer not coffee.

D - I cannot begin to explain how much I loved this beer. I could drink it in the morning (which I did since I had a snow day today), or drink at night (which I did immediately after I received it), or drink it all day long (I can only hope I can do that sometime down the road).

As others have mentioned I am a coffee lover too. Just a warning if you are not a coffee lover this beer may not be for you. Overall it is just a well crafted beer.

This is the first offering I had from Pisgah. I can only hope I can get my hands on some more of their stuff, along with more of the Valdez!! Thanks again for spreading the Pisgah love mikesgroove.

3.82/5  rDev -8%

Dark but not completely opaque brew. Dark chocolate brown in color topped by a medium brown orange tinted head. The head, comprised of medium bubbles densely packed together is large at first and fades to a foamy 1/4 inch. Lace is sparse. Aroma reminds me more of a milk (+ coffee) stout. Creamy, lactic, bakers chocolate, roast coffee, nuts, very light flowery hops, and a bunch of caramel maltiness. In the taste the roast coffee becomes more dominant than the chocolate and this still seems to have a lot of lactic qualities. Body is medium and the carbonation is appropriate. Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit slick. Drinkability is decent.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks goes out to stopbarking for tossing this one in on round one of the LNBA BIF.

Classic pisgah 750 corked and caged. Pours a deep black with a fizzy tan head that recedes relatively quickly and leaves minimal lace.

Nose is strong coffee and roasted malt. A bit of fresh grain.

Taste follows. Very very nice coffee flavor, roasted malt, and black barley, Some hop flavors in here, but they are pretty minimal. Anise, more coffee. Black coffee. Bean bitterness. Some slight chocolate here. Would like a bit more creaminess. Wonderful coffee profile in this beer. Black but not burnt. Very nice.

Mouthfeel struggles a bit here. It is quite a bit overcarbonated for the style. Thin in the mouth, and not enough creamy viscosity for the style. Low abv does not assist this either. This is sort of a one and a half stout.

Drinkability is solid, could defenitely put more than one of these away without really thinking about it. Especially with the easy abv.

Overall a very unique coffee stout, with the high carbonation. I am not a big fan of this added bubbly as of yet. The organic coffee used in this brew is quite something. Very very nice coffee profile. Roasty and toasty. A very nice stout from the MASTERS of organic brewing at Pisgah. After Vortex 1 and this one, Pisgah is certainly on the top of my list as far as the best organic breweries out there, and up there for breweries in general as well. Great beer.

Pisgah week, part 2,from Bruisin' Ales. Pours choclate brown and thickish looking with big chocolate head. Aroma is coffee, and chocolate. There is a lot of coffee in the taste, I am not a coffee drinker but appreciated what it was, and a stout very well integrated with coffee. Of course on the thicker mouthfeel side though still smooth, not a sipper. Like a 1.5 stout not a RIS.

A - black with a thin brown head that has decent retention

S - coffee and roasted malts

T - also simply coffee and roasted malts

M - smooth, well carbonated, medium to full bodied

At first I was a bit disappointed that this was one-dimensional. Honestly, the one dimension is flavorful and enjoyable so I'm not mad about it. This is a nice coffee stout that you can enjoy on your own or share. I would have it again.

3.16/5  rDev -23.9%

Consumed a few times in the past 2 weeks, both on-tap and bottled

Classification as a Double Stout is quite misleading. The bottled version is over-carbonated and may be confused as *gasp* infected. It just isn't right - fruity and tangy with a metallic finish. On-draft, its an iced coffee overload and is really a nice beer. Unfortunately, the most recent bottling doesn't translate and I was really quite embarrassed to open this for people not familiar with Pisgah.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

what a nice way to start a new year's when you are seriously jet lagged and have some cotton mouth! thanks for the gift Alex it is very kind of you

poured out into my brandy glass (only appropriate glass i could find) and this beer had very little to no head on it at all. yet i loved the appearance it had an oily black look with just a bit of cappucino head trace in it

smelled like an espresso with a dash of maple syrup in it. wow is this going to be a crazy concoction?

way way roasted in the front then coming at you with coffee in the end and some hops to finish it off. just simply delicious and i loved every sip of it

great mouthfeel almost silky but just enough bubbles to keep it from being too sticky.

this got me wired too! glad i had it as i was feeling pretty droopy at the time. :-) happy new year indeed

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Many, many thanks to csmiley for a very generous birthday gift. Very much appreciated.

Appearance: I'm really close to awarding a "5" here. This is a gorgeous beer. It's a very, very dark brown color (bordering on black). No light's getting through, even around the edges. The head is mocha colored and stands a very tall three and a half fingers. It's really close to perfect.

Smell: The nose is nice, but isn't quite a standout. It's actually a little weak in the strength department. Coffee is the the primary feature. It's a very strong coffee scent that nearly buries everything else. As a coffee fanatic, I can't complain about that. It's a fine smelling beer. But, it is lacking in complexity. There's some chocolate and roasted malts. But, that's about it. All in all, it's a nice smelling beer...if you're a coffee fan.

Taste: Wow. The coffee force is strong with this one. The flavor profile is nearly a carbon copy of the nose. But, the delivery is definitely better. The coffee flavor is very strong and flavorful. It's really difficult (almost impossible) for me to imagine a coffee averse being getting into this beer. Liking coffee seems like a prerequisite. This beer has some serious java mojo. There's a little chocolate and roasted malt flavor there to make it interesting. But, the coffee/espresso-esque flavor is a homerun. I really love this beer. There's not much going on in the hop department. Adding a little hop punch to this beer would damn near make it perfect. No alcohol is noted. It finishes sweet and bitter (in that java kind of way).

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This one's light bodied. It's honestly a little too thin. Carbonation is pretty active. Nonetheless, it goes down very easy and has a relatively smooth feel. Drinkability is pretty high for me. I really love the flavor and the abv is not high enough to intimidate. My bottle indicates 6.8% abv.

I've been anxious to try Pisgah Valdez for quite a while. No doubt it's a damn fine beer. It is a beer that's probably reserved for coffee lovers. If you don't like coffee, you're not going to like it. But, for what it is, it's impressive. Very impressive. I do think it could be improved a little. In particulart, the nose could use some strength and it could stand a little thicker of a body. As far as flavor goes, lots and lots of win here. Highly recommended. Thanks, Chris. This one's been a real treat.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

Extremely interesting brew. Had on tap at Barley's Pizzeria in Asheville - pint glass serving.

The pour is near-black with a 2-finger thick brown head. The bubbles in this head are huge, which to me isn't preferable - I prefer a creamier or finer looking head. Minimal lacing. As you near the end of your glass, you can catch some brown almost garnett hues around the edges.

The nose is pure joy - HUGE coffee presence. In fact, that's almost all you can get. Perhaps there's some chocolate notes there, but this coffee aroma is powerful. Fortunately, the taste follows up the aroma to perfection - again, massive coffee notes in the taste. Unlike some other coffee-dominated beers, Valdez avoids being overly roasted or bitter. It's extremely tasty with a nice sweetness.

The mouthfeel, however, is a bit of a disappointment. It's smooth and appropriately carbonated, but much too thin. When a beer is this dark, with a taste and aroma this dominant, I want a thick body to follow up that intensity. Valdez doesn't provide that.

All in all, this is an extremely tasty brew. Although I'm disappointed by the thin body, it does make it probable that you could enjoy a number of these in one sitting. One of my favorite coffee beers to date.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

This beer is dark as night, with a minimal mocha head that rims the glass. You smell coffee right off the bat, and the first sip is the same. Back of the mouth you get some chocolate, roasty maltiness. Great mouthfeel. This is not too thick or creamy, but a good balance to make it not thin. I honestly think this would compete well with FBS or WnB.

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

Got this on from Jw347, cheers Jon!

Pours mahogany with a finger of tan head. very good head retention & above average head retention

S: Much coffee & dark chocolate

T: In your face coffee, baker's chcolate & a touch of iron up front. Iron, roasted malt & Kona coffee as this warms, plus a hint of nuttyness & booze. finishes dry, with much coffee, & a hint of oakyness, on the verge of a 4.0

MF: Spritzy, medium bodied, & too wet for the style, thickens & warms you up as it warms

Drinks pretty good, ABV is well hidden, these beers heavy on coffee usually don't work for me, this is no exception. Glad I had a chance to try it, but, meh... expected much more. A beer that is NOT the sum of its parts, so far none of the pigsah beers from my home state have really knocked my socks off

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

A big, BIG thanks to Deuane for hooking me up with of growler of this on a recent trip down to Asheville.

Pours an inky deep black (just like a cup o' Joe) with a 1/2 finger of creamy burnt mocha (it almost appears red at times) colored head. It retains into a beautiful looking ring with some wisps around the center that left thick swathes of lace as it swirls around in the glass. The aroma is duh, COFFEE! And lots of it! A straight up zippy mix of espresso, coffee grounds, and a little residual sweetness in the background.

The taste is COFFEE, COFFEE, and more COFFEE! It's just lush with roasty notes coffee up front that is balanced out by some sticky chocolate sweetness in the backend. There is also just the slightest amount of bitterness in the finish that lets it end with a nice pop. The mouthfeel has a fantastic smooth and creamy feel to it. Almost like imbibing some caffeinated concoction that you would get at a Star Bucks or Dunkin Donuts. Only better!

Wow, this has to seriously be one of the best Coffee Beers out there. It just tastes so much like drinking a cup, it's ridiculous. I really appreciate the ever so slight but highly effective sweetness character that comes out, balances the dry roasted bitterness, and makes this just a pleasure to drink. I split this growler with a couple of other folks and we agreed that it really is a work of art for what it is. Well done Pisgah!

4.09/5  rDev -1.4%

Had during an afternoon ticking session at Pisgah! Served from tap into a sampler imperial pint. Poured a massively dark brown (basically black) with a half finger khaki-colored head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt and coffee. The flavor was of sweet malt, coffee, and earth. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. Three words though: HOLY CHRIST COFFEE! In all honesty, I don't drink coffee but if I were to start I would use this as a gateway for sure as I'm sure it would work. I would plan to share this one with coffee drinking friends as a gateway for them into craft beer. Still quite nice, but the coffee most definitely covered up a lot of the subtlies that were probably present in this brew.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from the tap at Barley's Taproom in Asheville, NC to a pint glass. The liquid is a dark brown to black with good carbonation. The head was a big 2+ fingers but our bar tender toped it off to give a most generous pour. The head when delivered was 1 thick finger of off white creamy foam it had good retention and left good lace.

The smell was like Coffee in a nice stout. The medium roast coffee smell was great, melded with some classic stout aromas like chocolate and light char.

The taste followed well, big coffee flavor, this is easy in the top 5 coffee beers I have had. Must not have had too much alcohol as I had 2 pints and not a buzz, could be 5-6 %. That says something, 43 taps and I have 2 of the same. LOL Other flavors include mild char & light chocolate.

The mouthfeel was good, better then medium body, and nice carbonation.

The drinkability was great, I sampled 5-6 different brews before asking for another of this same. I was told the brewer only did 5 barrels, so if Coffee Stout is your thing get it while you can.

Prosit und Zum Wohl. MK

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into Aecht snifter courtesy of aasher. Pours a solid black with mocha-tan foam head that leaves about a quarter-inch.

All kinds of chile on the nose with some coffee and dark chocolate. Am i reviewing an Imperial Stout?

Chile on the nose, just like the smell. Coffee is real solid as is the chocolate. More tangy than one would think.

Carbonation is slightly high for the style, but the coffee and chile help to balance it out.

Decent beer, but too much carbonation and lack of chewiness. Perhaps i should let it warm a little bit more?

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

22 oz. Almost black pour with a tan head. Not a lot of lacing. Aroma is roasty, coffee and malt, more coffee. Mouthfeel it a little thin, but still medium bodied. Taste has coffee and bakers chocolate all around. Nice roast coffee/espresso finish. A very pleasant coffee stout and drinkable with a low abv for an Imperial. As much as I mentioned coffee it is by no means overdone. Worth trying it you can get your hands on it.

to view more.
Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.