Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-02-2007)
Reviews by Thur123:
4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

I was glad to try this,had three at Barley's yesterday afternoon.Poured a jet black with tight formed mocha colored head that settled nicely into a creamy top.French roast coffee and bitter chocolate dominate the aromas,the coffee really hits home nicely.Flavors are also dominate by French roast coffee and bitter chocolate,but there is some molasses-like flavor to lend sweetness as well as a bit of earth in the finish.Very nicely done,heavy roast but enough sweetness to make it complete,well done.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

September 2008 bottle.

Deep black pour with an inch of light tan foam that leaves some spotty lacing and stays around for what seems like forever. Looks good in the glass. Aroma is bursting with fresh roasted coffee that's bright and vibrant. Smooth roast underneath with chocolate notes. Crisp maltiness throughout.

First sip smooth, clean roasted malt upfront that's immediately coasted by fresh coffee flavors. Chocolate works its way in along with a velvety smoothness. Bitterness hits on the way down but it's rather mellow. Finishes dry with lingering coffee flavors. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied, a bit on the lighter side but that just makes it easier to drink. Overall, a damn fine coffee stout and organic to boot. Very glad I got a chance to try this. Thanks to dmeadows.

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

22oz into a Pisgah pint glass.

No bottled on date. Bottle says 6.5% abv.

Pours pitch black with the smallest sliver of ruby highlighting. A tiny bit of tan froth on top, but no real head to speak of.

Aroma is straight coffee. Roasty and a little sweet. It is one dimensional, but it is one of the best smelling coffe beers I've had.

Taste is bitter coffee, borderlining on burnt. I'd like a little more complexity here, but it's still pleasent.

The mouth is something of a letdown. It is more along the lines of an American Stout, way too thin for a double. Of course, the abv isn't all that imperial either, so the category kinda confuses me.

Drinkability is nice. The bitterness does linger, forcing you to take it slow to avoid palate fatigue, but its still a very very good coffe stout. It is almost reminiscent of Terrapin/Left Hand's Depth Charge, but not nearly as sweet. I'd love to see this one as a true Imperial at 10% or so.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Strongly flavored coffee stout. Sampled at the brewery.

A- very dark black pour with a tan head. Exceptionally durable beige head.

S - coffee! [4.25]

T- Stronger coffee flavor than any of the few other coffee stouts or porters I've sampled. Somewhat lacking in complexity: imagine a very fine stout + a cold expresso. Excellent sweet/bitter balance.

M: smooth [4.25]

D - an excellent brew best imbibed slowly in many small sips.

{revisited at brewery in Sept. 2012 -- high ratings generally confirmed, but felt it was a tad over carbonated this time}

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

Another gem from MasterSki, sampled at the CE release. Hey, my GTOM taster is filled again... let's drink!

Pours a blackish tone with some brownish, ruby highlights. We have a solid tan head here.

Even though this is a 2008 bottle, I'm still getting tons of coffee in the nose. Very aromatic. Roasty, chocolatey goodness.

Same notes on the tongue, with some oatmeal perhaps, but this is really thin. Not a prototypical RIS by any stretch. The coffee is faded a bit, and we agree we'd like to try this one fresh for a proper rating in the future. Doesn't seem too complex. Straightforward coffee stout. Almost over-carbonated. I liked it a bit more at the beginning, but got bored with it at the end.

My second Pisgah beer, and while still quality, I'm not really keen on going out of my way for a third.

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up from Bruisin' Ales in Asheville, NC - if I were smarter I would've picked up more than one.

Pours pitch black with a two-finger dark tan head. The head recedes into a thin pancake on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of creamy roasted coffee with hints of roasted malts in the background. A smell of things to come.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though a bit more complex. Roasted coffee flavors kick things off, with roasted malts coming in shortly. Near the end of the sip there's a good deal of dark chocolate that appears right before the mildly bitter, mildly dry ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a very nice thickness with mild carbonation that makes this go down very smoothly.

Drinkability is good. I could have finished this a lot quicker but I've been forcing myself to slow down and smell the malts.

Overall this is a very well done coffee stout that's definitely worth a shot.

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer pours a jet black cocoa color with a tan head that boils away after a bit. There is a few tiny bubbles that glide up the side of the glass.

S- The ground coffee has a light breakfast roast quality with some earthy oat note in the finish.

T- The ground coffee has a slightly tart note and a fruity ester quality in the coffee's finish. There is a vegital capsicum flavor without any heat in the finish. A light inky hint lingers on the lips. As the beer warms there is a soft mellow black malt quality that comes through in the finish.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a tight fizz that scrubs the finish and no real alcohol.

O- This beer has some nice mellow coffee flavors but not much stout support and it finishes a bit vegital. As the beer warms the coffee takes on a bit of a stale quality.

3.55/5  rDev -14.3%

Thanks to Mikesgroove for the bottle.

750ml corked and caged brown bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark cola or root beer color with lots of carbonation. A big dark khaki head forms very frothy and only holds about a minute. Some lacing.

S: Plenty of coffee and chocolate to go around. Very sweet and I'm assuming Belgian candi sugar. Some nice roasty notes. Has a nice hop backing.

T/M: More of the big coffee notes and less of the chocolate. A bit too sweet with more of the Belgian candi sugar. A good hop character backing things up. Carbonation is very high and reflects on the taste.

D: I'm a bit disappointed. I had really been looking forward to this and it just wasn't everything I'd hoped for. I love coffee beers but just didn't dig this one as much. Decent but not the greatest.

3.25/5  rDev -21.5%

4.97/5  rDev +20%

I received a growler of this beer in the "February Growling at the Moon" exchange from mikesgroove. This was my first month in the exchange and all I can say is I hope every month's beer is this good, but it will certainly be hard to top!!

A - Dark brown to black. When held to the light....nothing at all shines through. There was not much head even after an aggressive pour. I'm assuming it may be because it is from the growler that was a few days old. The small head that did form lasted a very short period and there really was not much lacing as I drank.

S - Since I'm a coffee lover the smell was fantastic. There is not much else to the smell besides coffee, but again it was great to me.

T - Coffee through and through. As an earlier review mentioned, it was like a thick cup of coffee. I almost couldn't tell that it was a beer.

M - It was smooth, creamy, and full but not too full or syrupy. Carbonation just tickled tongue enough - that's what made me remember it was beer not coffee.

D - I cannot begin to explain how much I loved this beer. I could drink it in the morning (which I did since I had a snow day today), or drink at night (which I did immediately after I received it), or drink it all day long (I can only hope I can do that sometime down the road).

As others have mentioned I am a coffee lover too. Just a warning if you are not a coffee lover this beer may not be for you. Overall it is just a well crafted beer.

This is the first offering I had from Pisgah. I can only hope I can get my hands on some more of their stuff, along with more of the Valdez!! Thanks again for spreading the Pisgah love mikesgroove.

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%

Dark but not completely opaque brew. Dark chocolate brown in color topped by a medium brown orange tinted head. The head, comprised of medium bubbles densely packed together is large at first and fades to a foamy 1/4 inch. Lace is sparse. Aroma reminds me more of a milk (+ coffee) stout. Creamy, lactic, bakers chocolate, roast coffee, nuts, very light flowery hops, and a bunch of caramel maltiness. In the taste the roast coffee becomes more dominant than the chocolate and this still seems to have a lot of lactic qualities. Body is medium and the carbonation is appropriate. Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit slick. Drinkability is decent.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks goes out to stopbarking for tossing this one in on round one of the LNBA BIF.

Classic pisgah 750 corked and caged. Pours a deep black with a fizzy tan head that recedes relatively quickly and leaves minimal lace.

Nose is strong coffee and roasted malt. A bit of fresh grain.

Taste follows. Very very nice coffee flavor, roasted malt, and black barley, Some hop flavors in here, but they are pretty minimal. Anise, more coffee. Black coffee. Bean bitterness. Some slight chocolate here. Would like a bit more creaminess. Wonderful coffee profile in this beer. Black but not burnt. Very nice.

Mouthfeel struggles a bit here. It is quite a bit overcarbonated for the style. Thin in the mouth, and not enough creamy viscosity for the style. Low abv does not assist this either. This is sort of a one and a half stout.

Drinkability is solid, could defenitely put more than one of these away without really thinking about it. Especially with the easy abv.

Overall a very unique coffee stout, with the high carbonation. I am not a big fan of this added bubbly as of yet. The organic coffee used in this brew is quite something. Very very nice coffee profile. Roasty and toasty. A very nice stout from the MASTERS of organic brewing at Pisgah. After Vortex 1 and this one, Pisgah is certainly on the top of my list as far as the best organic breweries out there, and up there for breweries in general as well. Great beer.

Pisgah week, part 2,from Bruisin' Ales. Pours choclate brown and thickish looking with big chocolate head. Aroma is coffee, and chocolate. There is a lot of coffee in the taste, I am not a coffee drinker but appreciated what it was, and a stout very well integrated with coffee. Of course on the thicker mouthfeel side though still smooth, not a sipper. Like a 1.5 stout not a RIS.

A - black with a thin brown head that has decent retention

S - coffee and roasted malts

T - also simply coffee and roasted malts

M - smooth, well carbonated, medium to full bodied

At first I was a bit disappointed that this was one-dimensional. Honestly, the one dimension is flavorful and enjoyable so I'm not mad about it. This is a nice coffee stout that you can enjoy on your own or share. I would have it again.

3.15/5  rDev -23.9%

Consumed a few times in the past 2 weeks, both on-tap and bottled

Classification as a Double Stout is quite misleading. The bottled version is over-carbonated and may be confused as *gasp* infected. It just isn't right - fruity and tangy with a metallic finish. On-draft, its an iced coffee overload and is really a nice beer. Unfortunately, the most recent bottling doesn't translate and I was really quite embarrassed to open this for people not familiar with Pisgah.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

what a nice way to start a new year's when you are seriously jet lagged and have some cotton mouth! thanks for the gift Alex it is very kind of you

poured out into my brandy glass (only appropriate glass i could find) and this beer had very little to no head on it at all. yet i loved the appearance it had an oily black look with just a bit of cappucino head trace in it

smelled like an espresso with a dash of maple syrup in it. wow is this going to be a crazy concoction?

way way roasted in the front then coming at you with coffee in the end and some hops to finish it off. just simply delicious and i loved every sip of it

great mouthfeel almost silky but just enough bubbles to keep it from being too sticky.

this got me wired too! glad i had it as i was feeling pretty droopy at the time. :-) happy new year indeed

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.