Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-02-2007)
4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Big thanks to mikesgroove for sending me this 750mL bottle in a trade recently.

A: Pours dark black with a TON and I wish I could stress it more...a TON of khaki colored head (seriously looked like a beer float but no ice cream) and laced the glass a lot as it settled.

S: The dominant smell is chocolate, then roasted malts and coffee in the background...not complex or anything, but smells absolutely delicious and I hope the taste is similar

T: Roasted malts come out way more in the taste, then the coffee and chocolate are in the background this time.

M: I think far too much of the carbonation went out in the pour on this because what's left is a little more thin than I would expect. I even poured carefully so I dunno how to fix this. I get hints of creaminess when the carbonation stands out.

D: Because it's a little thin I could probably drink more than some creamy beers, but the flavor isn't really anything special to me unfortunately. Not really any alcohol picked up which is good. It tastes just like the majority of imperial stouts do. Now, that isn't all bad, because imperial stouts taste good, this just doesn't stand out above other examples of the style.

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

There's nothing quite like an Imperial Stout on a 65 degree day in Carlsbad under a 90 degree heat lamp. It's a strange experience, but I wouldn't recommend it. I felt as though my life's blood was being drained from my body, one ounce at a time. Thankfully I had this Pisgah beer to sustain me or I fear I might not have made it. Thanks a lot to Mike for my first Pisgah beer. To be perfectly honest, I've never traded for a beer from this brewery because the name of the brewery has subconsciously irritated me. I'm happy to finally try it though.

Pours nearly black with a one inch, light brown head. The head has good retention and leaves a smattering of lacing as it recedes.

The aroma is dominated by dark chocolate and coffee with some cocoa. It smells quite nice. A low level of alcohol is noticeable. The taste is much like the aroma, centered on dark chocolate and coffee. Though I'm not an avid fan of coffee dominated stouts, this is quite good. There's a medium level of bitterness to the beer, but the hops have really no say in the rich flavor. No alcohol is noticeable, and considering the low percentage (imperial stout?) it's not surprising.

Full bodied with a nice level of carbonation.

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to Santa Deuane for this one. Once I struggled to get the cork out of this bottle.
I poured the bottle into a snifter and it produced a two finger coco colored Head that seems to be lasting. The body of course was a big black bomb

The first thing I smelled was coffee and chocolate right from the pour. After a bit I got a little sour yeast but not much

Flavors are Coffee that is about it till it warms. Not as sweet as Oscura, but the mouthfeel reminded me of it. It is a little light in the feel for an Imperial but ample carbonation maybe to much. Back to the flavor a little sweetness from the malts keeps it from being to bitter. Then some dark chocolate comes out as it warms.

A good coffee stout I really think there should be a separate category for these. The number of them seems to be climbing. Good drinkability I finished the bomber with no problems at all. Took my time and enjoyed it on this cloudy afternoon thanks again Santa

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Picked up a bottle of this and Vortex II in Asheville when I was there in August.

A - dark, almost pitch black, with a off-white head which leaves a nice rim

S - pure coffee, lots of chocolate, had a Founder's Breakfast Stout the next day and the smell was pretty on par with that

T - coffee, chocolate, a bit of tartness up front that maybe shouldn't be there, but pretty subtle, nice semi-dry bitterness on finish

M - maybe a little bit thinner than I expected, tingles the sides of my tongue a bit

O - a beauty coffee stout. Despite having a little age on it the beer still held up well. I assume it would be even better fresh, but as it is, it's one of the nicer coffee stouts I've had in a while

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to Deuane for hauling this back from NC for me. A 2008 vintage corked 750ml bottle poured into my standard shaker glass. The stout appears a translucent dark chestnut color with an inch of creamy ecru colored foam. The head settles to a thin ring and remains until the glass is empty. Nose and flavor consist of medium roasted coffee beans, slightly sour and acidic espresso, quite earthy, nice molasses and caramel sweetness, bitter black coffee, baking chocolate. Maybe a notch better than medium bodied with adequate carbonation. I would have preferred a fuller body, but it's still pretty nice.

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to Solomon420 for hooking me up.

Poured a deep, deep brown with a massive tannish head and great carbonation. Nose is chocolate, coffee, grains. Taste is is very similar to most organic brews, with a big earthiness, grain, coffee, chocolate. Mouthfeel is nice and coating but lacking a bit on the coffee department and not that creamy.

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

22oz bottle with no bottled on or freshness date poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/27/11

A: Pours black with dark tan head and moderate retention. The head fades to a collar and leaves some lacing around glass.

S: Smooth freshly roasted coffee up front with dark malt and a hint of chocolate lingering behind the huge coffee aroma. Lots and lots of coffee, if I were to take a blind sniff of this I would definitely think this was a cup of coffee instead of a beer.

T: Bitter roasted coffee dominates the taste with dark malts and some hops and alcohol barely coming through all of the coffee. Long lingering taste of freshly brewed coffee after each sip.

M: Nice medium body with a bit more carbonation than I would really like in a stout.

O: If you want lots of coffee in your stout, this is the beer to go for. Pretty drinkable for a 6.8% ABV brew. Some more body and less carbonation would do wonders for this beer. Still great none the less.

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

750 mL bottle tried 23 Jun 2009. Trade from mikesgroove, thanks for the opportunity!

Poured in a 0.4 L Steiner Pils snifter. Thick, tight, medium sized light brown head. Medium carbonation. Beer looks like black ink. Aroma of super dark chocolate, cocoa, espresso, deep dark and roasty. Body is light and effervescent. Coffee and chocolate dance on the tongue like cocoa pop rocks. Lots of roasted malts, chocolate and coffee bitterness throughout. Somewhat sweeter in the finish. Mild ethanol.

Tasty, would have liked just a touch more body to this.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

September 2008 release acquired from mikesgroove courtesy of the Little Guy 2 BIF, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a large light brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of dark malts, black coffee, dark chocolate, some dark fruit and a faint touch of hops, but a bit of metallicness.

T: The taste is chocolaty and has a strong roasted malt character. There are background flavors of coffee and dark fruit. The hops presence is very mild but is exactly where it should be for the style and is strong enough to bring some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down very easily, slightly filling, good kick, nice representation of style, this is a very good dark beer to drink for an entire evening if you're in the mood for the style.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Dark ass pour, mocha head, thick, reduces to disk.

S - Lots of coffee and cocoa.

T - SO MUCH flavor. Hits all the buttons, but maybe a little bit unbalanced and too sweet.

M - Yes, cloying, at least a little.

D - Except for the unbalancing problem, pretty darned good!

4.01/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours a mostly opaque black color with a 1/4 inch light brown head that retains well before becoming a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of sheer surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves small clots behind.

S- Big earthy coffee aroma and some likewise earthy yeast. Almost has a Belgian characteristic to it like Chocolatized Vortex

T- Moderately bitter roasted coffee flavor with a bit more of that yeast element coming through. Sweetness is mild as is the alcohol presence. Very drinkable. Once the palate acclimates, the stout side becomes more apparent with the coffee being more of an afterthought. Caramel aftertaste.

M- Not as creamy as I was hoping. Medium carbonation and a full body.

O- I had this about 9 months ago on draft and was blown away by it. Now, it's good, but not really what I remember. I heard there was a slight recipe change before they started canning it to make the ABV lower but I see no separate listing with a different ABV. Oh well, still good stuff.

Pisgah week, part 2,from Bruisin' Ales. Pours choclate brown and thickish looking with big chocolate head. Aroma is coffee, and chocolate. There is a lot of coffee in the taste, I am not a coffee drinker but appreciated what it was, and a stout very well integrated with coffee. Of course on the thicker mouthfeel side though still smooth, not a sipper. Like a 1.5 stout not a RIS.

A - black with a thin brown head that has decent retention

S - coffee and roasted malts

T - also simply coffee and roasted malts

M - smooth, well carbonated, medium to full bodied

At first I was a bit disappointed that this was one-dimensional. Honestly, the one dimension is flavorful and enjoyable so I'm not mad about it. This is a nice coffee stout that you can enjoy on your own or share. I would have it again.

750ml bottle from mikesgroove, thanks Mike! Bottled in September '08.

Appearance: Into a wide-mouthed goblet, no coffee mug on hand unfortunately. A pitch black body with two fingers of dark tan foam. Head retention is great, leaving rings of lace as my glass empties. Great looking stuff.

Smell: Smells like a bag of freshly roasted coffee. There's a bit of roasted malt in there as well, but not much gets past the coffee aroma. I might be getting a hint of caramel as it warms, but maybe I'm trying too hard.

Taste & mouthfeel: Coffee. Pretty much just coffee. This doesn't so much taste like a coffee stout as it tastes like a cup of coffee with a little beer in it. Malt is faintly present, but this is very dry stuff. Fortunately for this beer it's got a great coffee character, like a freshly brewed shot of espresso, not overly bitter or acidic. The coffee flavor even lingers on throughout the dry finish, it's the first thing tasted and also the last. Is it one-dimensional? Maybe. Is it good? Definitely. I'm sure some people won't enjoy this, it really depends on how much you enjoy coffee. As for myself, I could drink a ton of this stuff and not get sick of it.

This is the second time I've had this beer. The first time was out of a two week old growler and THAT was awesome.

This sample exhibited more head...three fingers worth. Slow to subside, it eventually came down to a creamy coffee film with some mild lacing down the glass.

Smell was very definitely java but I also get a good dose of cocoa out of this. Very enticing.

Taste was more coffee and dark chocolate along with some vanilla and wood.

Mouthfeel starts out a little prickly but as the beer warms and mellows, it mellows to a creaminess that isn't initially expected.

Drinkability is very nice as as this beer is not too big. It's a very enjoyable 750ml of jo.

C. UGGHH clarity...whats that?
H. Black
N. Coffee

Ok, so I've joked about beers tasting like coffee before...yah I was wrong, nothing I have ever had has tasted this much like coffee. This is an organic beer that uses Dynamite Roasting Coffee Beans, and boy oh boy does the coffee stick out on this beer. Seriously I think Miguel poured this bad boy out of my coffee pot. I like it a lot, and it's a very straight forward coffee stout.

Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.