Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Stout |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: MuenchenerKindl on 11-24-2007

This robust Coffee Stout is a mouthful of flavor! A dark, roasty grain bill stands as the backdrop for a galaxy of coffee aroma and flavor, made possible by local organic bean roasters Dynamite Roastery. A Pisgah fan favorite, Valdez is brewed bi-annually and never lasts as long as the flavor.
4.44/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mikesgroove sent this bottle my way in a recent trade, so thanks go out to him for the chance to sample this beer.

The appearance is a almost black, with hues of very dark brown around the edges. Big brown head that has moderate retention but no lacing is left behind.

Smells a whole lot like coffee. For a coffee stout, I would say that is a good thing though. Lots of malty sweetness in there too. Smells pretty damn good.

Taste is of course very coffee oriented. Sweet, roasted flavors run throughout. Fresh roasted coffee with loads of sweetness are noticeable. Finishes with more coffee that makes the mouthfeel very dry.

This is a nice stout and is pretty drinkable. Great beer overall, glad I got the chance to try it.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Thanks to aerozeppl for providing this magical brew.

A: Jet black body with a mocha head that goes on and on and on...

S: Straight coffee. Delish.

T: BAM!! Coffee. Very clean and crisp. There is a good lasting bitterness from the coffee.

M: Medium bodied. Pretty surprising for the intensity of the stoutness. Super smooth.

D: All day long baby. This is a world class beer.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to unclejedi for this via trade.

A: Just about black with 2 fingers of mocha head.

S: Coffee big time. Big roasted smell balances thing out a bit but make no mistake this is a punch of coffee in the face.

T: Coffee up front. The tricky thing with coffee stouts is that they taste fake. This was a nicely balanced coffee stout. The roast balanced it out much like the nose.

M: Nice and silky. Perfect carbonation.

D: Very nice. This would be an amazing session beer. Great big beer taste in a 6.8% ABV package. Again thanks to unclejedi for this great beer.

4.34/5  rDev +4.3%

So for my 50th review and since I'm celebrating my last day working at the shithole I work at, I let my girlfriend pull any beer out of my cellar to split with me. She came up the steps with this bottle. Bitch may be a keeper after all. Bottle courtesy of akorsak. Thanks Adam.

A.Poured pitch black with a fluffy brown head.

S. Smells like liquid sex... Huge burnt coffee and dark chocolate notes to this one. If you got a coffee maker, brew up a pot leave about 2-3 inches of coffee in the pot, turn the warmer on and leave it there for 8 hours. that's what this smells like.

T. taste holds true to the smell. burnt coffee and dark chocolate bitterness. Bitterness takes this over as it warms and alcohol makes a slight presence. One tasty fucking beer.

M. Mouthfeel slacks a little. maybe a little too much carbonation and a little too thin. the only thing I feel this beer lacked.

D. Drinks like a champ if you can handle a little bitterness. I kind of wanted to grab a Rocky Patel 92 Robusto out of the humidor, sit on the porch and live the good life for an hour sipping this.

Overall this is a great beer to seek out at least once. Would love to get one or two more for the cellar

3.51/5  rDev -15.6%

Black colored ale, with ruby edges. Very frothy head varies in color from light tan to dark tan. One dimensional nose smells of espresso, but lacks malt aromatics. Flavor has some complexity to it and tastes nice, but is still dominated by the coffee addition and doesn't have much malt depth. That being said, it's suave and has some finesse to it. It even finishes pretty well. It's a nice ale.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Many, many thanks to csmiley for a very generous birthday gift. Very much appreciated.

Appearance: I'm really close to awarding a "5" here. This is a gorgeous beer. It's a very, very dark brown color (bordering on black). No light's getting through, even around the edges. The head is mocha colored and stands a very tall three and a half fingers. It's really close to perfect.

Smell: The nose is nice, but isn't quite a standout. It's actually a little weak in the strength department. Coffee is the the primary feature. It's a very strong coffee scent that nearly buries everything else. As a coffee fanatic, I can't complain about that. It's a fine smelling beer. But, it is lacking in complexity. There's some chocolate and roasted malts. But, that's about it. All in all, it's a nice smelling beer...if you're a coffee fan.

Taste: Wow. The coffee force is strong with this one. The flavor profile is nearly a carbon copy of the nose. But, the delivery is definitely better. The coffee flavor is very strong and flavorful. It's really difficult (almost impossible) for me to imagine a coffee averse being getting into this beer. Liking coffee seems like a prerequisite. This beer has some serious java mojo. There's a little chocolate and roasted malt flavor there to make it interesting. But, the coffee/espresso-esque flavor is a homerun. I really love this beer. There's not much going on in the hop department. Adding a little hop punch to this beer would damn near make it perfect. No alcohol is noted. It finishes sweet and bitter (in that java kind of way).

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This one's light bodied. It's honestly a little too thin. Carbonation is pretty active. Nonetheless, it goes down very easy and has a relatively smooth feel. Drinkability is pretty high for me. I really love the flavor and the abv is not high enough to intimidate. My bottle indicates 6.8% abv.

I've been anxious to try Pisgah Valdez for quite a while. No doubt it's a damn fine beer. It is a beer that's probably reserved for coffee lovers. If you don't like coffee, you're not going to like it. But, for what it is, it's impressive. Very impressive. I do think it could be improved a little. In particulart, the nose could use some strength and it could stand a little thicker of a body. As far as flavor goes, lots and lots of win here. Highly recommended. Thanks, Chris. This one's been a real treat.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Got this one recently from mikesgroove. Thanks!
Pretty much black, can't see through it even held up to the light. Longlasting, creamy brown cap. Lots of sticky lacing. Looks great! Tons of roast and coffee in the aroma, along with notes of toffee, lots of malt, and faint grassy hops. Moderate hop bitterness with some grassy, spicy presence. Fairly sweet, a little fruity up front, roast and coffee throughout. Dry cocoa. A little more than medium bodied with decent carbonation, mild alcohol warmth, and very dry. Pretty good overall. A little too dry, but still tasty.

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Thanks UncleJedi for this sample.

September 08 bottle. Pitch black, tan head, decent retention and lacing.
Aroma, just like the taste, is coffee, and more coffee.
Medium bodied, near full, but besides the coffee, and different than the growler version, not a lot going beyond the coffee, and even that, not as nice as I remembered.
Something happened between the original version and this one; hopefully can be corrected for future bottlings, but is not nearly as impressive as I remember the growler. For coffee lovers, might strill be a good one, but lacks dimension/complexity.

2.56/5  rDev -38.5%

Sought this out in trade and finally got it. Let it sit for a day or two and couldn't wait anymore.

So it's a very nice looking beer. Black as can be with a huge beige head that never quite dies.

Smell is of straight coffee.

Taste just like ground coffee. I imagine. Nothing more. And not a coffee I'm particularly fond of at that.

Bitter coffee. Dry as dirt. This beer actually removes moisture from your mouth. An absolute chore to drink. A pathetic 6.8% ABV. If I'm gonna work this damn hard to put down 750ml I want a kick in the ass to go with it. No such kick here. The more I drank, the more I came to hate this beer and wish it would die. Maybe not that bad, but I am severely disappointed.

I clicked on the link describing the style to see what else was 'similar.' Wake-n-bake and Founders Breakfast showed up, which are both completely lovable beers. I just don't get this one. How can it be so highly acclaimed? I'm busting my ass here to finish it. My wife even dumped her customary 4oz taster back into my glass. I think the worst thing is the dry coffee flavor leaving a dry coffee mouthfeel that can't be alleviated with another dry ass sip.

Overall: overhyped

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

September 08 bottle. Pours black with a cola tan head of good size, that very slowly recedes, leaving behind some good lacing. Incredible coffee aroma, nice roasted bean aroma, some chocolate and vanilla sweetness blend with it and help to accentuate the coffee. Flavor is similar with a good dose of coffee, some tanginess, but not an 'over-roasted' tanginess, milk like flavor is definitely present in the flavor along with a small amount of caramel and vanilla sweetness. Some cola in there and a slightly dry smokey finish. Mouthfeel has a nice creaminess, medium in weight, the creaminess makes for a fullness on the palate mid taste, the tanginess from the roast comes in afterwards and leads into a only slightly dry finish. This beer is definitely one of the best coffee stouts I've ever had the pleasure to try. Right up there with Kuhnhenn, though their's is different and also with Short's, very similar. Well done Pisgah, extremely drinkable, and a solid, fresh ground coffee experience in this one.

4.37/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks goes out to stopbarking for tossing this one in on round one of the LNBA BIF.

Classic pisgah 750 corked and caged. Pours a deep black with a fizzy tan head that recedes relatively quickly and leaves minimal lace.

Nose is strong coffee and roasted malt. A bit of fresh grain.

Taste follows. Very very nice coffee flavor, roasted malt, and black barley, Some hop flavors in here, but they are pretty minimal. Anise, more coffee. Black coffee. Bean bitterness. Some slight chocolate here. Would like a bit more creaminess. Wonderful coffee profile in this beer. Black but not burnt. Very nice.

Mouthfeel struggles a bit here. It is quite a bit overcarbonated for the style. Thin in the mouth, and not enough creamy viscosity for the style. Low abv does not assist this either. This is sort of a one and a half stout.

Drinkability is solid, could defenitely put more than one of these away without really thinking about it. Especially with the easy abv.

Overall a very unique coffee stout, with the high carbonation. I am not a big fan of this added bubbly as of yet. The organic coffee used in this brew is quite something. Very very nice coffee profile. Roasty and toasty. A very nice stout from the MASTERS of organic brewing at Pisgah. After Vortex 1 and this one, Pisgah is certainly on the top of my list as far as the best organic breweries out there, and up there for breweries in general as well. Great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Good ol' review #50... shared with dkachur over an afternoon tasting...

A: Opaque black, with a monstrous head of light brown seafoam. 3 fingers worth on initial pour, which recedes fairly quickly... But very active. Explosive bubbling action going on, causing it to look like a boiling potion. Once it reaches about a finger tall, it kinda stops receding. Wonderful.

S: A full, but clean coffee aroma - smells almost more like espresso qualities. Soft, chocolate notes.

T + M: Sugared coffee - the creaminess gives it a bit of a lactose quality in some ways without that kind of flavour going on. Quite a sweet beer with the little edge of coffeebean bitterness.

D: Wonderfully drinkable with a reasonable, but somewhat notable alcohol content. Very nice.

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown/ black with a nice milk chocolate colored head that fades to a little ring that leaves marks down the glass at each level.
Smell is alot of mild coffee notes. Small hops bite behind the coffee, and some toffee and earthy tones.
Taste at first is all coffee. As it warms the other tastes become more apparent to me. Unsweetened chocolate, caramel roasted malts, and a hops bite that hides behind what you think is coffee bitterness.
Mouthfeel is great. This is supposed to be closer to 7.2 than 6.8, but either way it hides the alcohol almost completely for me. The caffeine makes it even more deceptively drinkable.
Overall one of the best offerings from a great brewery. There is a reason this beer is so popular among BAs, and this batch is no different. I'll review one of the bottles later.

3.57/5  rDev -14.2%

Thanks to Mikesgroove for the bottle.

750ml corked and caged brown bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark cola or root beer color with lots of carbonation. A big dark khaki head forms very frothy and only holds about a minute. Some lacing.

S: Plenty of coffee and chocolate to go around. Very sweet and I'm assuming Belgian candi sugar. Some nice roasty notes. Has a nice hop backing.

T/M: More of the big coffee notes and less of the chocolate. A bit too sweet with more of the Belgian candi sugar. A good hop character backing things up. Carbonation is very high and reflects on the taste.

D: I'm a bit disappointed. I had really been looking forward to this and it just wasn't everything I'd hoped for. I love coffee beers but just didn't dig this one as much. Decent but not the greatest.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

I feel like I am in a fish tank.

Yes...A fish tank.

I've been working myself to death, and classes at Berkeley arent making my life any easier.

and than, out of nowhere...my ears starts sucking air like a vacuum, and I can barely hear anything...Yes, sometimes life sucks like that.

However, kkiple, being the gentleman that he is, had sent me a box of beer as part of a trade, and after hastily making my dinner of hand carved ham, 21 spice salute, stoun ground mustard, and artisan chedder on rye...I washed it down with a BLENHEIM Ole # 5 Ginger Ale and had a shower.

and now...I'm drinking this fine brew.

The 750ml labelled, corked, and caged, brown glass bottle is a nice presentation...and I like the fact that Pisghas brews are all organic.

A: Dark cola brown/block with a big yet loose head of tannish/off-white foam. Big bubbles fade quickly and leave small rings and lines of lace.

S: Coffee. Literally, just coffee. With a bit of cream and two raw sugars. Just like I get every morning at Poggio Trattoria in Sausalito before climing the steep hill of steps up to my office in the hillside of Casa Madrona.

T: The taste is coffee. With one or two raw/golden sugar packets and maybe just a tiny bit of cream. Chocolate, and roasted malts are in the background...and their may be some hops somewhere too, cowering behind the massive explosion of espresso grinds.

M: Very sprizty, and carbonated but still filling in the mouth. Pretty nice, but not as thick or full as my actual coffee.

D: Drinkability is good. I can probably have 2 or 3 of these bottles, just like my coffee...It's cool they turned MY morning coffee into a beer

O: Good stuff. Thanks need to go out to both kkipple for sending this to me and Pisgah for making MY morning coffee into a beer for everyone...cheers.

4.37/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to mikesgroove for the chance to try this great beer. I often find myself at odds over what to make of the american double / imp stout category here on BA. I think I have a similar challenge with coffee beers. I like a rich coffee, low acidity, arabic beans, roasted to a level like starbucks medium brews but not french roast. So, what the heck does all that mean to this beer and or review? No idea. Ok, kidding. This beer was the september release, definitely foamy as my pilsner glass foamed over completely. The aroma is wonderful medium roasted coffee with an undertone of chocolate. Taste follows the aroma and by mid bottle through to the end this one is smooth and well balanced. I would have liked a slightly bigger body and mouthfeel but that's a minor aside to a great beer.

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%

I've been hearing good things about Valdez for awhile, and I finally managed to get up to Asheville to get a bottle. The beer pours a standard black with a big fluffy tan colored head. The smell is one of a kind, I was really impressed. A whiff of cream and coffee hits the nose just like if you were holding some really good java. You can definitely detect some sweetness as well.

The taste almost lives up to the smell. I initially got a hint of creaminess with the coffee and malts coming through soon after. It trails off with some bitterness, definitely an interesting taste experience. The beer is moderately carbonated, leaving a satisfying mouthfeel. As long as you love coffee one would probably have little problem drinking a few glasses of Valdez. A very flavorful beer that is not overpowering but still unique. I highly recommend this beer to anyone that at least likes coffee somewhat.

3.97/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Very dark brown pour with a brown head to match.
S: There is lots of coffee up front in the nose but no harshness. The coffe is a light roast. A little bit of sweetness.
T: A light roast coffee flavor. Some roast and dark chocolate. There is a little bit of tartness. Some woodsy and earthy flavors.
MF: Medium mouth feel and medium carbonation.
D: I really liked thie light roasted coffee in this beer. I would love to have this on tap at work instead of morning coffee. It reminded me a lot of drinking coffee, but at the same time it held on to everything that makes you know it's a beer.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

The only thing that keeps this from getting a perfect appearance score for an impy stout is a bunch of floaties in it. Interesting.
Smells like coffee. Very little else. Some sweet grain, some roastiness, but basically coffee.
Flavor is much the same. A good malt backbone, but mostly coffee. Not much else. Rather one-dimensional. Good for breakfast.
Initially very carbonated and a bit thin. Mouthfeel gets better as the beer warms, becomes a bit silky with a slightly dry finish.
The beer is good. Worth a try. I find it to be a bit overrated, however. A bit one dimensional.

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

September 2008

Black with a slight sliver of brown at the bottom of the glass. Tall, loosely foamy brown head. Coffee, milk, and sugar aromas upfront with some chocolaty roastiness. Roasted coffee and cream flavors...sweet and tasty...but there's no depth. Take away the coffee and would this be a quality stout? Medium bodied and way too carbonated for the style. A slight bit of warming in the throat which is confusing considering the low ABV.

I love coffee, I love coffee stouts...this one was disappointing. Not anything remotely close to an Imperial Stout either, though I don't think it's supposed to be. Maybe it's just this batch, but this beer is highly overrated.

3.82/5  rDev -8.2%

Dark but not completely opaque brew. Dark chocolate brown in color topped by a medium brown orange tinted head. The head, comprised of medium bubbles densely packed together is large at first and fades to a foamy 1/4 inch. Lace is sparse. Aroma reminds me more of a milk (+ coffee) stout. Creamy, lactic, bakers chocolate, roast coffee, nuts, very light flowery hops, and a bunch of caramel maltiness. In the taste the roast coffee becomes more dominant than the chocolate and this still seems to have a lot of lactic qualities. Body is medium and the carbonation is appropriate. Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit slick. Drinkability is decent.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Good Morning from Tampa. The Fed Ex guy rang the door bell nice and early on this Saturday morning to deliver a wonderful package from unclejedi. Ah, Pisagh Valdez a brew I have been after since last year. It's morning, it's a coffee stout what the hell. I put one bottle away and threw the other in the fridge for a quick slight drop in temp.

A: Poured into my St Feuillien chalice. The the head towers quickly to over one finger. It is made of millions of tiny creamed espresso bubbles. The drink itself is very black. The name Valdez seems fitting for this one. The retention is nice with a nice solid cap hanging around for quite sometime. Slight lace noted.

S: Talk about a morning pick me up. I have already had my coffee this morning, but let me tell you this one has more aroma than my normal cup of gourmet chocolate infused joe. Tons of nice fresh roasted coffee teems from the glass. Light hints of cream along with a hint of milky chocolate. Make no mistake about it coffee is what this one is all about though.

T: Mmmm, wish I had started my day with this rather than the real thing. Bold fresh roasted chocolate with just a hint of cocoa. I buy some premium chocolate coffee and this tastes better than the real thing. Behind the coffee and chocolate is just a bit of sweet cream, and a touch of darkened brown sugar. Coffee + Chocolate + Cream = Happiness!

M: Light for the style and somewhat thin. This is not necessarily bad though as it allowed me to put down the whole 750 ml myself rather easily.

D: See above. Very tasty and dangerously drinkable.

Wow thanks unclejedi. What a wonderful brew. I am glad I have another to share with the local tasting group.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Appears clear and black with the darkest head I've seen on a stout. Smells like an Irish Coffee, missing only the more vanilla notes. Tastes nutty with mildly roasted coffee shining through. Very dry. A little harsh in the end and would benefit from a little aging. This is a great beer that deserves it's place in the top 10 IS's. Well done.

750ml bottle from mikesgroove, thanks Mike! Bottled in September '08.

Appearance: Into a wide-mouthed goblet, no coffee mug on hand unfortunately. A pitch black body with two fingers of dark tan foam. Head retention is great, leaving rings of lace as my glass empties. Great looking stuff.

Smell: Smells like a bag of freshly roasted coffee. There's a bit of roasted malt in there as well, but not much gets past the coffee aroma. I might be getting a hint of caramel as it warms, but maybe I'm trying too hard.

Taste & mouthfeel: Coffee. Pretty much just coffee. This doesn't so much taste like a coffee stout as it tastes like a cup of coffee with a little beer in it. Malt is faintly present, but this is very dry stuff. Fortunately for this beer it's got a great coffee character, like a freshly brewed shot of espresso, not overly bitter or acidic. The coffee flavor even lingers on throughout the dry finish, it's the first thing tasted and also the last. Is it one-dimensional? Maybe. Is it good? Definitely. I'm sure some people won't enjoy this, it really depends on how much you enjoy coffee. As for myself, I could drink a ton of this stuff and not get sick of it.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle from Bruisin' Ales in Asheville, NC. Poured into a 22 oz. Terrapin snifter.

Appearance: This beer looks like coffee. A nice head of froth - latte-esque, fine-bubbled, beige, tan, chocolate, creamy, milky, frothy, foamy - settles and sticks around for quite some time.

Aroma: Perhaps the most authentic freshly ground coffee smell I've ever gotten out of a beer. It's the perfect medium-to-full roast, but that's not all there is. There's sweet, milky chocolate notes, hints of

Taste: I think I detect a hint of coffee in this beer. But seriously, wow. A really great, strong earthy coffee note - no, not a note, a really great, strong earthy coffee backbone, foundation, basis. There're grassy notes, light citrus notes, and tons of roast, dirt, and light smoke. "Coffee-tastic." Pungent, too - I could smell it halfway across the room.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, oily, milky, creamy, smooth, medium-bubbled. A little too big-bodied and fluffy, perhaps, but it works well with the light, delicate nature of the taste and the low alcohol content. Not cloying, sticky, or filmy, but very clean and crisp.

Drinkability: A fantastic all-around coffee beer, and the low abv% makes it even more drinkable. It's crisp, fresh, tasty, refreshing, AND it's organic ... what's not to love? Seriously though, it's one of the most authentic smelling/tasting coffee beers I've ever had the privilege of, and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys their morning coffee strong with a half cream/half sugar. Very well made and very enjoyable.

Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.