1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
Ratings: 270 | Reviews: 190 | Show All Ratings:
wagenvolks

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Much is owed to atsprings for the share.
Growler poured into a brandy snifter.

A semi-vigorous pour forms a voluminous head, two inches off the dark body and excellently retained. Head color is a tan-custard hue, and the foamy mass looks solid enough to pluck out of the snifter and throw it across the room. Body is pitch black and opaque, although some transparency is evident when the snifter is tipped and held up to the light. The aroma is equally as enticing, packed with notes of fresh-baked cookie dough, gingerbread, caramel-infused coffee, and fresh ground coffee beans.

Valdez lives up to its name, as it coats the palate with an oily-thick, utterly creamy body that requires substantial chewing with every sip. The flavor is like lukewarm, creamy coffee that has been deliciously fermented. Hazlenut roast rounds out the malt profile, while a perfect bitter coffee bite leaves a lasting impression. The drinkability of Valdez is superior for its style. The complexiy and flavor are almost unparalled (although Big Boss' Coffee Stout runs a close second), and as the beer warms it becomes increasingly delicious. A must try for beer-lovers everywhere.

03-19-2008 07:06:49 | More by wagenvolks
atsprings

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours a nice jet black with a decent tan head that diminishes to a lasting thin layer. Aroma is dominated by fresh ground coffee, just a hint of chocolate tries to poke through, but really cannot surpass the coffee at all. The taste is a coffee lovers dream. As others had said in their reviews, it's almost hard to tell that this is beer. The mouth has a great dryness and is very smooth with only a slight alcohol presence. This is an absolutely spectacular beer, another great one from the guys at Pisgah.

03-19-2008 02:54:36 | More by atsprings
goryshkewych

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Kinda light for a stout in appearance. Thin white head. The nose is intense coffee. Starbucks. Hard to believe this is beer. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied at best. Tastes like coffee, with a roasty bitter finish. Fascinating for what it is, but almost difficult to compare against other stouts. Unique for sure.

03-16-2008 06:01:22 | More by goryshkewych
akorsak

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

A growler shared with Deuane, ClockworkOrange and JohnnyM2002 among others.

A: The stout is a dark cola brown color, almost indistinguishable from black. The growler, despite being wrapped in electrical tape, had lost a good bit of carbonation, so little if any head arose on the multiple pours.

S: The nose is a delicious coffee aroma, a chocolate infused aroma with touches of acrid bitterness. The beer is basically coffee with touches of stout added for good measure. The aroma is tough to beat.

T: The first sip is a rich coffee blast. The java flavor in this beer is damned near the strongest that I've had (and I've had Coffee Bender, Central Waters Coffee Stout and WnB). There is little to suggest that this is a stout, the focus throughout is the deliciously bitter coffee flavor. The coffee flavor lingers long after the sip is gone. And did I mention that the stout has a strong coffee flavor?

M: The coffee flavor is strong but beyond that the taste is rather thin. There is little stout body to back up the arabica beans. A vinous finish would have sealed the deal as a beer d'ambrosia.

D: I stayed close to this growler for as long as it lasted. If you like coffee in your stout, this is a must try.

EDIT:
A second growler resulted in a much thicker, fuller head. The subtle stout flavors also became more evident through the coffee. As a result, Appearance went from 4 to 4.5 and Drinkability went from 4 to 4.5.

03-09-2008 01:56:47 | More by akorsak
Enola

4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

This beer is absolutly outstanding. A nice deep black with a tan head. The smell is like a pot of fresh coffee brewing. The taste is like a gourmet blend from the downtown coffee house. Mouthfeel is smooth and drinkability os wonderfull as well. This beer continues Pisgah's upward swing in NC brewing. The next time I have this brew I may add a litte cream and sugar. Great job Pisgah!!

03-08-2008 18:40:12 | More by Enola
HopDerek

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Enjoyed with Kegatron, thanks to Deuane.

Pours a semi-thick black with big coffee colored head, with a great fall leaving a nice burnt orange/tan colored head, some retention and ok lacing. Smells big of chocolate when cold, but lots of coffee otherwise, also some licorice and roasted malt scents. Tastes like a coffee-holics dream with an overload of that magic coffee bean. Creamy cappuccino, milk chocolate, espresso, and bitter fresh roasted coffee with a nice hop finish. Medium in body, creamy and smooth with good carbonation, hides alcohol well. If you like coffee stouts, this is as good as it gets, extremely drinkable. Wish it was proper to start off every morning with a pint of this!

03-06-2008 22:26:10 | More by HopDerek
Kegatron

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

A big, BIG thanks to Deuane for hooking me up with of growler of this on a recent trip down to Asheville.

Pours an inky deep black (just like a cup o' Joe) with a 1/2 finger of creamy burnt mocha (it almost appears red at times) colored head. It retains into a beautiful looking ring with some wisps around the center that left thick swathes of lace as it swirls around in the glass. The aroma is duh, COFFEE! And lots of it! A straight up zippy mix of espresso, coffee grounds, and a little residual sweetness in the background.

The taste is COFFEE, COFFEE, and more COFFEE! It's just lush with roasty notes coffee up front that is balanced out by some sticky chocolate sweetness in the backend. There is also just the slightest amount of bitterness in the finish that lets it end with a nice pop. The mouthfeel has a fantastic smooth and creamy feel to it. Almost like imbibing some caffeinated concoction that you would get at a Star Bucks or Dunkin Donuts. Only better!

Wow, this has to seriously be one of the best Coffee Beers out there. It just tastes so much like drinking a cup, it's ridiculous. I really appreciate the ever so slight but highly effective sweetness character that comes out, balances the dry roasted bitterness, and makes this just a pleasure to drink. I split this growler with a couple of other folks and we agreed that it really is a work of art for what it is. Well done Pisgah!

03-02-2008 14:53:30 | More by Kegatron
Deuane

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

A-Black with dark brown highlights with a dark tan head. Left decent lacing.

S-ok, this is simple COFFEE! Fresh, ground and brewed quality COFFEE! Can I give a number higher than 5?

T-Ready...this is not a trick question, COFFEE! How can you make a beer that tastes nothing like anything other then COFFEE? No hop bite...and who cares?

M-Full bodied but not heavy. Round. Not quite as creamy as I would have thought...more crisp than I expected.

D-If I told you I drank at least one pint (at least) of these all four days I was in Asheville plus I bought and hauled 4 growlers back to PA with me how could I not give this anything but a 5!

Easily the best straight up coffee brew I have EVER had! Sheer genius by the mad scientists at Pisgah...keep up the FANTASTIC work guys!

02-28-2008 00:43:01 | More by Deuane
SierraGS

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

I had this on tap at Pisgah and again at Barley's (and I bought a growler for later.) It is pitch black in color with a long-lasting tan head, and it is full of aroma from freshly dark-roasted coffee beans. If I could rate aroma at a 6.5 on the scale of 1-5, I would.

On each sip, coffee flavors fill the mouth. There is very little hop bitterness, nor is there much in the way of creamy sweetness. It really is the epitome of coffee beer, balanced in such a way that it is a session beer for any coffee lover.

02-27-2008 04:50:24 | More by SierraGS
seaoflament

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

First I'd like to thank ncvbc for sending me this growler, I'm gonna have to send you something nice for this one ;o)

Poured into my Surly pint glass.

Slight hiss as I took the cap off, good sign.

Wow! Really intense aroma as soon as I start pouring. I get some of the most freshly roasted coffee aroma I have ever experienced in a coffee stout. There's also quite a bit of cream, sugar and vanilla in the aroma. Wow, look at that, I skipped the description of the beer's appearance and went straight to the aroma...

The Valdez pours a dark roasted color with a good inch of mocha colored foam. The foam retains for about a minute and then settles to a very thin layer. Ok back to the aroma...

A cup of freshly roasted coffee, that's what it smells like. There's also a good dose of toasted malts, chocolate malts, milk chocolate. I'm also picking up some aromas of hazelnut flavored cream. I'm almost afraid to try it and be disappointed of the taste not living up to this wonderful aroma. I could just smell this beer for a few minutes and be pleased with that.

Taste is slightly less intense than the aroma but still very good. Lots of roasted coffee with some toast, nutty malts, cream and finishes with a bit of vanilla. The second sip is slightly more flavorful in the coffee department and now I'm picking up the milk chocolate and some cocoa with just a touch of roasted barley on the finish. After about half a pint I begin to pick up some toffee flavors and more vanilla in the middle.

The mouthfeel is very smooth, semi-creamy, but maybe just a tad thin which seems to come from the low carbonation of this beer. While this beer is lightly carbonated I think it is the perfect amount for this as it does not sting the tongue and passes down smoothly like a cup of coffee with cream.

Drinkability? Well, lets see how I do with this growler, fortunately the beer seems to be only 7%, as stated by a sticker on the growler, but a pint of this drinks extremely easy.

Even though I have some bottled beers from Pisgah, Baptista and Vortex II, this is my first taste of any Pisgah beer and it was great. I cannot wait to try their other offerings.

This beer needs to be bottled!

02-27-2008 00:10:23 | More by seaoflament
dashirey

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

I received a growler of this beer in the "February Growling at the Moon" exchange from mikesgroove. This was my first month in the exchange and all I can say is I hope every month's beer is this good, but it will certainly be hard to top!!

A - Dark brown to black. When held to the light....nothing at all shines through. There was not much head even after an aggressive pour. I'm assuming it may be because it is from the growler that was a few days old. The small head that did form lasted a very short period and there really was not much lacing as I drank.

S - Since I'm a coffee lover the smell was fantastic. There is not much else to the smell besides coffee, but again it was great to me.

T - Coffee through and through. As an earlier review mentioned, it was like a thick cup of coffee. I almost couldn't tell that it was a beer.

M - It was smooth, creamy, and full but not too full or syrupy. Carbonation just tickled tongue enough - that's what made me remember it was beer not coffee.

D - I cannot begin to explain how much I loved this beer. I could drink it in the morning (which I did since I had a snow day today), or drink at night (which I did immediately after I received it), or drink it all day long (I can only hope I can do that sometime down the road).

As others have mentioned I am a coffee lover too. Just a warning if you are not a coffee lover this beer may not be for you. Overall it is just a well crafted beer.

This is the first offering I had from Pisgah. I can only hope I can get my hands on some more of their stuff, along with more of the Valdez!! Thanks again for spreading the Pisgah love mikesgroove.

02-22-2008 22:14:40 | More by dashirey
CWiggins

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

A dear friend of mine picked up a growler of Valdez while visiting the brewery two weeks ago. She raved about it, and although my curiosity was roused I put it aside until I had time to drink and think. It was well worth it! This may be the best coffee stout I've ever had.

The growler made a dynamic "poof" as I turned the cap. It poured pitch black into my Pisgah pint glass (also provided by my dear friend). The one-finger head was beautiful; it was dark brown and very dense. One deep inhalation picks up aromas of freshly ground coffee beans and dark, dark malts. There's also an extremely mild fruity ester present, but it takes a very deep sniff to detect it. Flavors of espresso attack the tongue with the first mouthful. The aforementioned sweetness is there as well, but it soon dissipates into a nice, mellow dark coffee center. The finish is a bit hoppy, which balances well with the other flavors. What I really appreciate is the decent malt backbone this version of the coffee stout has; I had another local version of this style just a few weeks ago, and, although it was quite nice, there was too much coffee and not enough balancing malts. This is a far cry better. Well done, Pisgah! I hope to drop by and refill my growler soon!

02-22-2008 01:38:03 | More by CWiggins
wcudwight

THIS IS THE BEER FOR COFFEE LOVERS!!!
Pitch black in color. Large brown head with some pink and ruby colors in it. Best head on a beer that I've ever seen. Head recedes and holds at a solid finger in height. Lot's of lacing cakes the glass.
WOW!!! What an aroma. The moment the cap is popped off of the growler, the aroma of fresh ground coffee beans fills the room. Rich dark French Roasted coffee and nothing but coffee.
This beer is totolly single minded and unbalanced, and I love it. Flavor burst of rich dark coffee. This is better than most coffees I've had. Maybe some oatmeal in the finish but it has a hard time shinning through all of the coffee flavors.
Mouthfeel is smooth and yummy. I origionally gave this a 4.5 in mouthfeel as I've never given a beer all 5's because I believe all beers can improve. But I couldn't find any fought in the mouthfeel so it gets a 5 too.
Drinkability? I had it as a nightcap last night and am pouring another pint for breakfest. Pisgah...please put this beer in IV form and run a line right to my veins. Ok, you can't do that. The least you could do is make this your next bottled offering.

02-17-2008 13:21:14 | More by wcudwight
ncvbc

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Before I start, let me tell you that I do love coffee.

Pours near black with ruby edges and a nice tan head that caps it off and remains for a good while, leaving a good ring with light lacing down the glass. Smell is heavenly. The most fresh coffee I've ever smelled in a beer, as if it were just ground. Good and roasted with a grainy scent. Taste might have just one-upped Breakfast Stout. First it's dark, roasted coffee grounds. Very fresh and tasty, exploding on tongue. It seems too intense until a creamy sensation comes to rescue. Some vanilla and light oats with milky chocolate. It's like I was drinking some black coffee and all the sudden the beer knew I liked a little cream and sugar, brilliant! Mouthfeel is pushing full and I'm not sure this is big enough to qualify as a Double/Imperial Stout but it's excellent. Velvety and creamy for the most part with a slight roast bitterness in there. I had three pints from the growler without even thinking twice...that's when I realized that this might be my new favorite coffee stout.

I think this is actually considered an American Stout and if so it would get a perfect score in my book.

02-12-2008 03:11:05 | More by ncvbc
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from the tap at Barley's Taproom in Asheville, NC to a pint glass. The liquid is a dark brown to black with good carbonation. The head was a big 2+ fingers but our bar tender toped it off to give a most generous pour. The head when delivered was 1 thick finger of off white creamy foam it had good retention and left good lace.

The smell was like Coffee in a nice stout. The medium roast coffee smell was great, melded with some classic stout aromas like chocolate and light char.

The taste followed well, big coffee flavor, this is easy in the top 5 coffee beers I have had. Must not have had too much alcohol as I had 2 pints and not a buzz, could be 5-6 %. That says something, 43 taps and I have 2 of the same. LOL Other flavors include mild char & light chocolate.

The mouthfeel was good, better then medium body, and nice carbonation.

The drinkability was great, I sampled 5-6 different brews before asking for another of this same. I was told the brewer only did 5 barrels, so if Coffee Stout is your thing get it while you can.

Prosit und Zum Wohl. MK

11-24-2007 22:25:24 | More by MuenchenerKindl
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.