Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-02-2007)
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Pisgah 3/13/09

Being a huge fan of Founders BS I was looking forward to this. It pours with a nice 1" head and is pitch black. Smell is all coffee all the time and I like it! Taste is a very nice coffee roasted malt taste and is perfectly balanced. Mouthfeel is very good and a little dry, it's a fairly drinkable IS and I happily finished a 22oz bottle in about an hour sipping it after it warmed a bit.

Pisgah has proven again they are a SOLID brewery!

unionturf, Mar 18, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up from Bruisin' Ales in Asheville, NC - if I were smarter I would've picked up more than one.

Pours pitch black with a two-finger dark tan head. The head recedes into a thin pancake on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of creamy roasted coffee with hints of roasted malts in the background. A smell of things to come.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though a bit more complex. Roasted coffee flavors kick things off, with roasted malts coming in shortly. Near the end of the sip there's a good deal of dark chocolate that appears right before the mildly bitter, mildly dry ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a very nice thickness with mild carbonation that makes this go down very smoothly.

Drinkability is good. I could have finished this a lot quicker but I've been forcing myself to slow down and smell the malts.

Overall this is a very well done coffee stout that's definitely worth a shot.

glid02, Mar 16, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours out shiny pitch black with an absolutely huge light brown head with loose clingy bubbles. The head sticks around and leaves some good lacing. Really a beauty. I couldn't ask for anything more. The smell is filled with coffee and carbonation initially. Once the head dies back, there's a distinct sweetness, caramelly like cola. There's a lot of nice smells for a big stout. The taste is great. The coffee is somewhat subdued, but just a perfect compliment to the beer. There's a good backbone of chocolate sweetness with some cola notes. The roasted character really shines through, with coffee and roast barley, with a tiny bit of the slickness that black patent lends. I was really surprised at how much fullness there is without any oatmeal in the base. There's plenty of body and the coffee makes it pleasant, with a good carbonation level. Could be more chewy, but I can really appreciate this one. God, I drained every sip with zeal. I mean, this should be the beer that everyone shoots for when they throw coffee in. Oatmeal might make it a masterpiece, though I really love it as is. I wish I had more, and I wish everyone could try it. I feel privileged to have been in Asheville when this one was coming out.

taylorhamrick, Mar 11, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours black with a thick creme head. Nose is coffee, yes. I have been trying a lot of coffee beers lately it seems. This one seems fresher than most. Nice robust coffee. Thick and well bodied. This is purely a coffee beer. Feel is smooth on liquid and a bit vibrant on carbonation. If you want a coffee beer, this is a good one to go for. Great to try.

RblWthACoz, Mar 10, 2009
4.95/5  rDev +19%

Pisgah is extremely hard to find, even when you live less than an hour from the brewery.

I kept hoping to find a bottle of this somewhere, but ended up finding it on tap at Barley's in Asheville.

Served in a pint glass, this was one nice looking beer. A very dark black color with a dark brown head about two fingers thick. The head lasted for a good while, but the best thing was the lacing. This had perhaps the best lacing I have seen leaving a stained glass-like curtain down the entire glass all the way to the last drop.

The smell was of a very nice roasted coffee (it is brewed with coffee from a local roaster) and sweet chocolate. Maybe a bit of nuttiness in there.

The taste was great, very balanced. You could definitely taste the coffee, but it was not like some other RISs that are brewed with coffee where it tastes like a strong coffee served black. There was not much hops, but that was O.K., since I like more roasted flavors from a stout. The bitterness seemed to come from the coffee and roasted malts. I found it really balanced between sweetness and bitterness, like a coffee with a lot of cream and sugar. The sweetness was not cloying and the bitterness not overpowering. Lot's of chocolate as well.

Mouthfeel was pretty normal for a RIS, I would say better than most.

Drinkability is dangerously high. To quote Beerfest: "I want to brush my teeth with it!". I could have spent my whole day in Asheville just drinking this one beer.

Definitely made up for missing Sexual Chocolate! This has been the best RIS I have ever had.

hitokiri, Feb 15, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Corked, caged bottle brewed in September 2008, consumed September 2008.

A: Hershey chocolate brown with a thick two finger frothy head the color of wet sand. Sheets of lacing peel down the glass.

S: Yeah, lots of fresh brewed bitter sweet black coffee. Espresso. Bit of chocolate. Almost as if inhaling finely ground coffee beans.

T: Lot of the nose on the taste. Palette is completely flushed with the taste of cold spend coffee and espresso. Coffee taste is raw, and natural, much on the bitter end.

M: Medium bodied with tingly, almost champagne-like carbonation.

D: A quality brew if you appreciate the taste of wet, natural coffee grounds. It could use a bit more sweetness. Overall, one of the lighter stouts you'd find in a corked, caged bottle.

kasper, Jan 25, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a simply beautiful dark brownish/black - like root beer only a couple shades darker. A full rich 2 finger caramel colored head tops the beer and just does not recede. Super thick lacing completely covers the glass. Smells of perfectly roasted high quality coffee beans dominate the nose. I am in no rush to taste this beer as the aroma alone is especially captivating. First sip is a coffee rush that would satisfy most anyone standing in line at Starbucks. Like the aroma, the tastes screams perfectly deep-roasted high quality oily beans. A bunch of dark chocolate bleeds thru. The mouthfeel, like everything else about this beer is phenomenal.

ATLbeerDog, Jan 23, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to Taylor for sharing this impossible to get on the west coast treat. I thought this was a DIPA, but when it poured out I realized I was wrong.

Pours a nice foamy tan head, black from the waist down.

Has roasted coffee, olive? chocolate smells. Smells like a tan greek.

Coffe up front, some bitter hops shine through, but mostly coffee and chocolate.

A little too thin, but when it warms up and coats your tongue, very tasty residuals of choco-coffee. Not a lot of alcohol bit, which is good.

Overall an interesting beer, to be so complex and low abv is a job well done. Good on ya mates.

Murchmac, Jan 11, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to Santa Deuane for this one. Once I struggled to get the cork out of this bottle.
I poured the bottle into a snifter and it produced a two finger coco colored Head that seems to be lasting. The body of course was a big black bomb

The first thing I smelled was coffee and chocolate right from the pour. After a bit I got a little sour yeast but not much

Flavors are Coffee that is about it till it warms. Not as sweet as Oscura, but the mouthfeel reminded me of it. It is a little light in the feel for an Imperial but ample carbonation maybe to much. Back to the flavor a little sweetness from the malts keeps it from being to bitter. Then some dark chocolate comes out as it warms.

A good coffee stout I really think there should be a separate category for these. The number of them seems to be climbing. Good drinkability I finished the bomber with no problems at all. Took my time and enjoyed it on this cloudy afternoon thanks again Santa

joepais, Jan 10, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Received this brew from both tpd975 and hoppymeal in fairly recent trades. This will be my first Pisgah brew and thank the lord! I absolutely love coffee brews and they are by far my favorite 'style'. Drank from my Darkness snifter.

September 2008 on side of bottle. Holy F'n cork, they weld these in apparently.

Appearance- Oh this is a good looking brew. Pours a super dark black with an absolutely huge three finger dark khaki head that recedes fairly slowly. My snifter is half beer, half head. A thin cap and nice manly collar remain behind leaving somewhere between a lot and an ass ton of lacing.
Smell- Coffee. I could easily just end there and this would be my most accurate review of a nose yet. A bit of cream and chocolate but I've said too much...
Taste- Slightly dirty and murky from the start with bits of raw cocoa nibs and acrid watered down coffee. Some cream and light sugar add a smooth sweetness but frankly I think the over-carbonation takes this beer down a notch. No hops to speak of. The majority of the coffee flavor is in the aftertaste after the burn of the CO2 wears off. It's lightly sweet and full of French roast goodness. If not for the aggressive carbonation this would definitely be a 5.
Mouthfeel- Thin body (maybe from adding brewed coffee?) and light crisp feel that is not what I like in this style beer. I prefer smooth and creamy and this is the only flaw in this brew IMO. It's just a shame that this particular flaw affects the flavor so much.
Drinkability- After some of the carbonation escapes this thing really picks up. The coffee seems to come out a bit more and it really shines. Since I never really got the beer cold it honestly didn't take long to smooth out a bit. I'll bump up the mouthfeel a half point more than I would have but it still needs toned down. Okay, no more Nancy negative. This really is a nice coffee brew that tastes delicious and I really did enjoy. Thanks again to Greg and Derek!

younger35, Dec 21, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Enormous head that is just a shade lighter than brown. Almost completely opaque in color. Really beautiful beer. Smells of fresh coffee and dark chocolate, as well as some vanilla, and maybe even some cherry.

Coffee dominates the taste. Sipping it is like sipping an espresso shot. Some bitterness comes through. The coffee overpowers any chocolate flavors that may try to come through. The aftertaste is sweet and pleasant, though. Full bodied and very thick mouthfeel. Nice to sip, but hard to get through the whole thing.

I haven't tried too many coffee stouts, but this one really stood out to me. Definitely worth a try!

SirSketch, Nov 30, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -5%

Big thanks to mikesgroove for trading this bottle to me, been wanting to try something from Pisgah for awhile now and couldn't have picked a better one to start with.

Pours a cola, dark brown color with a huge huge fuzzy light tan head, fills up about half the glass and takes a while to fade, leaves some good lacing along the way.

Smell is also cola-ish with a coffee aroma backing, quite interesting.

Taste is well carbonated, decent roasted flavor with coffee being the prevalent factor, kinda wish the coffee was even stronger and the beer was less cola like, but it was easily drinkable.

deltatauhobbit, Nov 26, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Got this on from Jw347, cheers Jon!

Pours mahogany with a finger of tan head. very good head retention & above average head retention

S: Much coffee & dark chocolate

T: In your face coffee, baker's chcolate & a touch of iron up front. Iron, roasted malt & Kona coffee as this warms, plus a hint of nuttyness & booze. finishes dry, with much coffee, & a hint of oakyness, on the verge of a 4.0

MF: Spritzy, medium bodied, & too wet for the style, thickens & warms you up as it warms

Drinks pretty good, ABV is well hidden, these beers heavy on coffee usually don't work for me, this is no exception. Glad I had a chance to try it, but, meh... expected much more. A beer that is NOT the sum of its parts, so far none of the pigsah beers from my home state have really knocked my socks off

russpowell, Nov 20, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mikesgroove sent this bottle my way in a recent trade, so thanks go out to him for the chance to sample this beer.

The appearance is a almost black, with hues of very dark brown around the edges. Big brown head that has moderate retention but no lacing is left behind.

Smells a whole lot like coffee. For a coffee stout, I would say that is a good thing though. Lots of malty sweetness in there too. Smells pretty damn good.

Taste is of course very coffee oriented. Sweet, roasted flavors run throughout. Fresh roasted coffee with loads of sweetness are noticeable. Finishes with more coffee that makes the mouthfeel very dry.

This is a nice stout and is pretty drinkable. Great beer overall, glad I got the chance to try it.

Hojaminbag, Nov 17, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Thanks to aerozeppl for providing this magical brew.

A: Jet black body with a mocha head that goes on and on and on...

S: Straight coffee. Delish.

T: BAM!! Coffee. Very clean and crisp. There is a good lasting bitterness from the coffee.

M: Medium bodied. Pretty surprising for the intensity of the stoutness. Super smooth.

D: All day long baby. This is a world class beer.

drseamus, Nov 17, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to unclejedi for this via trade.

A: Just about black with 2 fingers of mocha head.

S: Coffee big time. Big roasted smell balances thing out a bit but make no mistake this is a punch of coffee in the face.

T: Coffee up front. The tricky thing with coffee stouts is that they taste fake. This was a nicely balanced coffee stout. The roast balanced it out much like the nose.

M: Nice and silky. Perfect carbonation.

D: Very nice. This would be an amazing session beer. Great big beer taste in a 6.8% ABV package. Again thanks to unclejedi for this great beer.

aerozeppl, Nov 16, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

So for my 50th review and since I'm celebrating my last day working at the shithole I work at, I let my girlfriend pull any beer out of my cellar to split with me. She came up the steps with this bottle. Bitch may be a keeper after all. Bottle courtesy of akorsak. Thanks Adam.

A.Poured pitch black with a fluffy brown head.

S. Smells like liquid sex... Huge burnt coffee and dark chocolate notes to this one. If you got a coffee maker, brew up a pot leave about 2-3 inches of coffee in the pot, turn the warmer on and leave it there for 8 hours. that's what this smells like.

T. taste holds true to the smell. burnt coffee and dark chocolate bitterness. Bitterness takes this over as it warms and alcohol makes a slight presence. One tasty fucking beer.

M. Mouthfeel slacks a little. maybe a little too much carbonation and a little too thin. the only thing I feel this beer lacked.

D. Drinks like a champ if you can handle a little bitterness. I kind of wanted to grab a Rocky Patel 92 Robusto out of the humidor, sit on the porch and live the good life for an hour sipping this.

Overall this is a great beer to seek out at least once. Would love to get one or two more for the cellar

EGledhill, Nov 15, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

Black colored ale, with ruby edges. Very frothy head varies in color from light tan to dark tan. One dimensional nose smells of espresso, but lacks malt aromatics. Flavor has some complexity to it and tastes nice, but is still dominated by the coffee addition and doesn't have much malt depth. That being said, it's suave and has some finesse to it. It even finishes pretty well. It's a nice ale.

Crosling, Nov 15, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Many, many thanks to csmiley for a very generous birthday gift. Very much appreciated.

Appearance: I'm really close to awarding a "5" here. This is a gorgeous beer. It's a very, very dark brown color (bordering on black). No light's getting through, even around the edges. The head is mocha colored and stands a very tall three and a half fingers. It's really close to perfect.

Smell: The nose is nice, but isn't quite a standout. It's actually a little weak in the strength department. Coffee is the the primary feature. It's a very strong coffee scent that nearly buries everything else. As a coffee fanatic, I can't complain about that. It's a fine smelling beer. But, it is lacking in complexity. There's some chocolate and roasted malts. But, that's about it. All in all, it's a nice smelling beer...if you're a coffee fan.

Taste: Wow. The coffee force is strong with this one. The flavor profile is nearly a carbon copy of the nose. But, the delivery is definitely better. The coffee flavor is very strong and flavorful. It's really difficult (almost impossible) for me to imagine a coffee averse being getting into this beer. Liking coffee seems like a prerequisite. This beer has some serious java mojo. There's a little chocolate and roasted malt flavor there to make it interesting. But, the coffee/espresso-esque flavor is a homerun. I really love this beer. There's not much going on in the hop department. Adding a little hop punch to this beer would damn near make it perfect. No alcohol is noted. It finishes sweet and bitter (in that java kind of way).

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This one's light bodied. It's honestly a little too thin. Carbonation is pretty active. Nonetheless, it goes down very easy and has a relatively smooth feel. Drinkability is pretty high for me. I really love the flavor and the abv is not high enough to intimidate. My bottle indicates 6.8% abv.

I've been anxious to try Pisgah Valdez for quite a while. No doubt it's a damn fine beer. It is a beer that's probably reserved for coffee lovers. If you don't like coffee, you're not going to like it. But, for what it is, it's impressive. Very impressive. I do think it could be improved a little. In particulart, the nose could use some strength and it could stand a little thicker of a body. As far as flavor goes, lots and lots of win here. Highly recommended. Thanks, Chris. This one's been a real treat.

prototypic, Nov 13, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Got this one recently from mikesgroove. Thanks!
Pretty much black, can't see through it even held up to the light. Longlasting, creamy brown cap. Lots of sticky lacing. Looks great! Tons of roast and coffee in the aroma, along with notes of toffee, lots of malt, and faint grassy hops. Moderate hop bitterness with some grassy, spicy presence. Fairly sweet, a little fruity up front, roast and coffee throughout. Dry cocoa. A little more than medium bodied with decent carbonation, mild alcohol warmth, and very dry. Pretty good overall. A little too dry, but still tasty.

DrJay, Nov 02, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Thanks UncleJedi for this sample.

September 08 bottle. Pitch black, tan head, decent retention and lacing.
Aroma, just like the taste, is coffee, and more coffee.
Medium bodied, near full, but besides the coffee, and different than the growler version, not a lot going beyond the coffee, and even that, not as nice as I remembered.
Something happened between the original version and this one; hopefully can be corrected for future bottlings, but is not nearly as impressive as I remember the growler. For coffee lovers, might strill be a good one, but lacks dimension/complexity.

brdc, Oct 26, 2008
2.53/5  rDev -39.2%

Sought this out in trade and finally got it. Let it sit for a day or two and couldn't wait anymore.

So it's a very nice looking beer. Black as can be with a huge beige head that never quite dies.

Smell is of straight coffee.

Taste just like ground coffee. I imagine. Nothing more. And not a coffee I'm particularly fond of at that.

Bitter coffee. Dry as dirt. This beer actually removes moisture from your mouth. An absolute chore to drink. A pathetic 6.8% ABV. If I'm gonna work this damn hard to put down 750ml I want a kick in the ass to go with it. No such kick here. The more I drank, the more I came to hate this beer and wish it would die. Maybe not that bad, but I am severely disappointed.

I clicked on the link describing the style to see what else was 'similar.' Wake-n-bake and Founders Breakfast showed up, which are both completely lovable beers. I just don't get this one. How can it be so highly acclaimed? I'm busting my ass here to finish it. My wife even dumped her customary 4oz taster back into my glass. I think the worst thing is the dry coffee flavor leaving a dry coffee mouthfeel that can't be alleviated with another dry ass sip.

Overall: overhyped

PatronWizard, Oct 25, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

September 08 bottle. Pours black with a cola tan head of good size, that very slowly recedes, leaving behind some good lacing. Incredible coffee aroma, nice roasted bean aroma, some chocolate and vanilla sweetness blend with it and help to accentuate the coffee. Flavor is similar with a good dose of coffee, some tanginess, but not an 'over-roasted' tanginess, milk like flavor is definitely present in the flavor along with a small amount of caramel and vanilla sweetness. Some cola in there and a slightly dry smokey finish. Mouthfeel has a nice creaminess, medium in weight, the creaminess makes for a fullness on the palate mid taste, the tanginess from the roast comes in afterwards and leads into a only slightly dry finish. This beer is definitely one of the best coffee stouts I've ever had the pleasure to try. Right up there with Kuhnhenn, though their's is different and also with Short's, very similar. Well done Pisgah, extremely drinkable, and a solid, fresh ground coffee experience in this one.

hoppymeal, Oct 18, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks goes out to stopbarking for tossing this one in on round one of the LNBA BIF.

Classic pisgah 750 corked and caged. Pours a deep black with a fizzy tan head that recedes relatively quickly and leaves minimal lace.

Nose is strong coffee and roasted malt. A bit of fresh grain.

Taste follows. Very very nice coffee flavor, roasted malt, and black barley, Some hop flavors in here, but they are pretty minimal. Anise, more coffee. Black coffee. Bean bitterness. Some slight chocolate here. Would like a bit more creaminess. Wonderful coffee profile in this beer. Black but not burnt. Very nice.

Mouthfeel struggles a bit here. It is quite a bit overcarbonated for the style. Thin in the mouth, and not enough creamy viscosity for the style. Low abv does not assist this either. This is sort of a one and a half stout.

Drinkability is solid, could defenitely put more than one of these away without really thinking about it. Especially with the easy abv.

Overall a very unique coffee stout, with the high carbonation. I am not a big fan of this added bubbly as of yet. The organic coffee used in this brew is quite something. Very very nice coffee profile. Roasty and toasty. A very nice stout from the MASTERS of organic brewing at Pisgah. After Vortex 1 and this one, Pisgah is certainly on the top of my list as far as the best organic breweries out there, and up there for breweries in general as well. Great beer.

AKBelgianBeast, Oct 15, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Good ol' review #50... shared with dkachur over an afternoon tasting...

A: Opaque black, with a monstrous head of light brown seafoam. 3 fingers worth on initial pour, which recedes fairly quickly... But very active. Explosive bubbling action going on, causing it to look like a boiling potion. Once it reaches about a finger tall, it kinda stops receding. Wonderful.

S: A full, but clean coffee aroma - smells almost more like espresso qualities. Soft, chocolate notes.

T + M: Sugared coffee - the creaminess gives it a bit of a lactose quality in some ways without that kind of flavour going on. Quite a sweet beer with the little edge of coffeebean bitterness.

D: Wonderfully drinkable with a reasonable, but somewhat notable alcohol content. Very nice.

Proteus93, Oct 11, 2008
Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.