Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Photekut

Tennessee

11-17-2011 01:26:34 | More by Photekut
wcudwight

THIS IS THE BEER FOR COFFEE LOVERS!!!
Pitch black in color. Large brown head with some pink and ruby colors in it. Best head on a beer that I've ever seen. Head recedes and holds at a solid finger in height. Lot's of lacing cakes the glass.
WOW!!! What an aroma. The moment the cap is popped off of the growler, the aroma of fresh ground coffee beans fills the room. Rich dark French Roasted coffee and nothing but coffee.
This beer is totolly single minded and unbalanced, and I love it. Flavor burst of rich dark coffee. This is better than most coffees I've had. Maybe some oatmeal in the finish but it has a hard time shinning through all of the coffee flavors.
Mouthfeel is smooth and yummy. I origionally gave this a 4.5 in mouthfeel as I've never given a beer all 5's because I believe all beers can improve. But I couldn't find any fought in the mouthfeel so it gets a 5 too.
Drinkability? I had it as a nightcap last night and am pouring another pint for breakfest. Pisgah...please put this beer in IV form and run a line right to my veins. Ok, you can't do that. The least you could do is make this your next bottled offering.

02-17-2008 13:21:14 | More by wcudwight

New Hampshire

11-21-2011 18:01:56 | More by Rochefort10nh
Cyberkedi

Georgia

Comes out of the tap a deep, opaque sable barely a kitten whisker above solid black with a fine-bubbled tan head. Rich, smoky aroma has strong chocolate and quality coffee tones and screams DRINK ME!!! to anybody who appreciates good stouts. Flavor is strongly like high-quality roast coffee with tones of unsweet chocolate, caramel and burnt wood plus a hint of molasses. Full-bodied texture has a strong, persistent tingle and leaves a smoky mocha finish. A must!!!

12-28-2011 23:01:34 | More by Cyberkedi
dashirey

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

I received a growler of this beer in the "February Growling at the Moon" exchange from mikesgroove. This was my first month in the exchange and all I can say is I hope every month's beer is this good, but it will certainly be hard to top!!

A - Dark brown to black. When held to the light....nothing at all shines through. There was not much head even after an aggressive pour. I'm assuming it may be because it is from the growler that was a few days old. The small head that did form lasted a very short period and there really was not much lacing as I drank.

S - Since I'm a coffee lover the smell was fantastic. There is not much else to the smell besides coffee, but again it was great to me.

T - Coffee through and through. As an earlier review mentioned, it was like a thick cup of coffee. I almost couldn't tell that it was a beer.

M - It was smooth, creamy, and full but not too full or syrupy. Carbonation just tickled tongue enough - that's what made me remember it was beer not coffee.

D - I cannot begin to explain how much I loved this beer. I could drink it in the morning (which I did since I had a snow day today), or drink at night (which I did immediately after I received it), or drink it all day long (I can only hope I can do that sometime down the road).

As others have mentioned I am a coffee lover too. Just a warning if you are not a coffee lover this beer may not be for you. Overall it is just a well crafted beer.

This is the first offering I had from Pisgah. I can only hope I can get my hands on some more of their stuff, along with more of the Valdez!! Thanks again for spreading the Pisgah love mikesgroove.

02-22-2008 22:14:40 | More by dashirey
atsprings

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours a nice jet black with a decent tan head that diminishes to a lasting thin layer. Aroma is dominated by fresh ground coffee, just a hint of chocolate tries to poke through, but really cannot surpass the coffee at all. The taste is a coffee lovers dream. As others had said in their reviews, it's almost hard to tell that this is beer. The mouth has a great dryness and is very smooth with only a slight alcohol presence. This is an absolutely spectacular beer, another great one from the guys at Pisgah.

03-19-2008 02:54:36 | More by atsprings
hitokiri

4.95/5  rDev +19%

Pisgah is extremely hard to find, even when you live less than an hour from the brewery.

I kept hoping to find a bottle of this somewhere, but ended up finding it on tap at Barley's in Asheville.

Served in a pint glass, this was one nice looking beer. A very dark black color with a dark brown head about two fingers thick. The head lasted for a good while, but the best thing was the lacing. This had perhaps the best lacing I have seen leaving a stained glass-like curtain down the entire glass all the way to the last drop.

The smell was of a very nice roasted coffee (it is brewed with coffee from a local roaster) and sweet chocolate. Maybe a bit of nuttiness in there.

The taste was great, very balanced. You could definitely taste the coffee, but it was not like some other RISs that are brewed with coffee where it tastes like a strong coffee served black. There was not much hops, but that was O.K., since I like more roasted flavors from a stout. The bitterness seemed to come from the coffee and roasted malts. I found it really balanced between sweetness and bitterness, like a coffee with a lot of cream and sugar. The sweetness was not cloying and the bitterness not overpowering. Lot's of chocolate as well.

Mouthfeel was pretty normal for a RIS, I would say better than most.

Drinkability is dangerously high. To quote Beerfest: "I want to brush my teeth with it!". I could have spent my whole day in Asheville just drinking this one beer.

Definitely made up for missing Sexual Chocolate! This has been the best RIS I have ever had.

02-15-2009 15:56:58 | More by hitokiri
jorrx003

4.95/5  rDev +19%

An incredible drink for any coffee enthusiast. Looked gloriously black with a brown head. Smelled strongly of the most delicious coffee. This beer tasted like an iced coffee with alcohol added, amazing, it blew me away. I wish it had just a slightly fuller body but other than that minuscule detail I found this beer to be absolutely amazing and everything I could ever want in a coffee stout

04-30-2011 21:27:22 | More by jorrx003
cwalexander

4.95/5  rDev +19%

C02 Nitrogen mix tap system falling down the glass as the as the beer becomes still with a 2in-2.5in head settles. Aromas of roasted chocolate and fresh brewed coffee the head stayed around .5-1in the whole way down. smooth mouth hints of almost burnt toast with a touch of sweetness like drinking the best cold coffee on the hottest day of summer

Serving type: nitro-tap

09-28-2010 17:08:05 | More by cwalexander
JamnesCameron

4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

This bottle is from September 2008. Poured into a MJ tasting glass. Pours a very deep russet brown with garnet highlights near the bottom of the tulip glass. Big, three finger mocha colored head, that drops fairly quickly, leaving a wisp of foam.

Aromas of dark roasted coffee. Some caramel and roasted malts, but the main attraction is the coffee. Coffee also lends a nice roasty bitterness.

Flavors are big, dark roasted coffee, bittersweet cocoa, some roasted graininess. No hop flavor to speak of. This is not just a coffee stout, it's a COFFEE stout. Lingering bitter roasted coffee on the finish, that fades into a nice bittersweet cocoa.

Mouthfeel is big and chewy, not thick and syrupy, but gives a big presence in the mouth, coating everything.

Overall, an excellent coffee stout. Once of the better balanced examples, with lots of flavor.

05-10-2011 01:16:13 | More by JamnesCameron
Enola

4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

This beer is absolutly outstanding. A nice deep black with a tan head. The smell is like a pot of fresh coffee brewing. The taste is like a gourmet blend from the downtown coffee house. Mouthfeel is smooth and drinkability os wonderfull as well. This beer continues Pisgah's upward swing in NC brewing. The next time I have this brew I may add a litte cream and sugar. Great job Pisgah!!

03-08-2008 18:40:12 | More by Enola
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Have to make note here of the bottle from Batch number three that I was able to enjoy a few times already in the last couple of days. THis maybe my all time favorite beer. Just has literally everything you could ask for and more. Rich decadent looking dessert, deep dark chcolate color with a towering head of fine tan. Slight reduction with time still elaves a copious amount of spider like side glass lace and lots of rocky crown.

The aroma is simply wonderful. A drop dead, drag out coffee knockout. Rich notes of sweet coffee are just all over this. It really is the best of both worlds here. Nice touches of sweet molasses in the finish that starts to become bitter and leaves you with more coffee then beer taste as you go through.

Having had the chance now to try this one each time it comes out from various different sources, I am thrilled to see this one go back to the roots. THis is like liquid heaven to me. I would honestly take this over pretty much any other beer I have ever had, and the fact that it is now bottled, just makes it even easier. Kudos to Dave and Jason for this one again, I know they get sick of hearing it from me, but this one is my crack. This is the reason I drink beer.

09-08-2008 01:50:29 | More by mikesgroove
Deuane

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

A-Black with dark brown highlights with a dark tan head. Left decent lacing.

S-ok, this is simple COFFEE! Fresh, ground and brewed quality COFFEE! Can I give a number higher than 5?

T-Ready...this is not a trick question, COFFEE! How can you make a beer that tastes nothing like anything other then COFFEE? No hop bite...and who cares?

M-Full bodied but not heavy. Round. Not quite as creamy as I would have thought...more crisp than I expected.

D-If I told you I drank at least one pint (at least) of these all four days I was in Asheville plus I bought and hauled 4 growlers back to PA with me how could I not give this anything but a 5!

Easily the best straight up coffee brew I have EVER had! Sheer genius by the mad scientists at Pisgah...keep up the FANTASTIC work guys!

02-28-2008 00:43:01 | More by Deuane
Kegatron

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

A big, BIG thanks to Deuane for hooking me up with of growler of this on a recent trip down to Asheville.

Pours an inky deep black (just like a cup o' Joe) with a 1/2 finger of creamy burnt mocha (it almost appears red at times) colored head. It retains into a beautiful looking ring with some wisps around the center that left thick swathes of lace as it swirls around in the glass. The aroma is duh, COFFEE! And lots of it! A straight up zippy mix of espresso, coffee grounds, and a little residual sweetness in the background.

The taste is COFFEE, COFFEE, and more COFFEE! It's just lush with roasty notes coffee up front that is balanced out by some sticky chocolate sweetness in the backend. There is also just the slightest amount of bitterness in the finish that lets it end with a nice pop. The mouthfeel has a fantastic smooth and creamy feel to it. Almost like imbibing some caffeinated concoction that you would get at a Star Bucks or Dunkin Donuts. Only better!

Wow, this has to seriously be one of the best Coffee Beers out there. It just tastes so much like drinking a cup, it's ridiculous. I really appreciate the ever so slight but highly effective sweetness character that comes out, balances the dry roasted bitterness, and makes this just a pleasure to drink. I split this growler with a couple of other folks and we agreed that it really is a work of art for what it is. Well done Pisgah!

03-02-2008 14:53:30 | More by Kegatron
blackie

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

brewed with beans from Dynamite Roasting - also of Black Mountain and definitely worthy of a visit

a: standard pint glass, pitch black with great retention and lace

s: absolutely loaded with vivid, fresh medium-roast coffee aromas, with dark roasted chocolate providing an underpinning, seriously like taking a bag of fresh-ground to the face, but not without the chocolate/burnt sugar body to support, the coffee clearly overpowers the malt while benefiting greatly from the full, rich support it provides, love it

m: body in the lighter side of full, low-medium carbonation, creamy and smooth

t: the high reviews this beer gets are the truth, coffee flavors unlike any other - fresh medium roast free from any harsh side, big chocolate and roasted malt body, moving from smooth chocolate to big char in the finish, rating simply as an impy stout this would be a kick lower since it's so tilted towards pure coffee, but rating as a coffee beer makes for an easy 5

d: a fantastic coffee beer, with one of the better fresh coffee characters I've found

full pint at Barley's, Asheville

09-25-2010 21:50:07 | More by blackie
ncvbc

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Before I start, let me tell you that I do love coffee.

Pours near black with ruby edges and a nice tan head that caps it off and remains for a good while, leaving a good ring with light lacing down the glass. Smell is heavenly. The most fresh coffee I've ever smelled in a beer, as if it were just ground. Good and roasted with a grainy scent. Taste might have just one-upped Breakfast Stout. First it's dark, roasted coffee grounds. Very fresh and tasty, exploding on tongue. It seems too intense until a creamy sensation comes to rescue. Some vanilla and light oats with milky chocolate. It's like I was drinking some black coffee and all the sudden the beer knew I liked a little cream and sugar, brilliant! Mouthfeel is pushing full and I'm not sure this is big enough to qualify as a Double/Imperial Stout but it's excellent. Velvety and creamy for the most part with a slight roast bitterness in there. I had three pints from the growler without even thinking twice...that's when I realized that this might be my new favorite coffee stout.

I think this is actually considered an American Stout and if so it would get a perfect score in my book.

02-12-2008 03:11:05 | More by ncvbc
Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.