Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-02-2007)

KFrank729, Mar 01, 2014

Rochefort10nh, Nov 21, 2011

Comes out of the tap a deep, opaque sable barely a kitten whisker above solid black with a fine-bubbled tan head. Rich, smoky aroma has strong chocolate and quality coffee tones and screams DRINK ME!!! to anybody who appreciates good stouts. Flavor is strongly like high-quality roast coffee with tones of unsweet chocolate, caramel and burnt wood plus a hint of molasses. Full-bodied texture has a strong, persistent tingle and leaves a smoky mocha finish. A must!!!

Cyberkedi, Dec 28, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

I received a growler of this beer in the "February Growling at the Moon" exchange from mikesgroove. This was my first month in the exchange and all I can say is I hope every month's beer is this good, but it will certainly be hard to top!!

A - Dark brown to black. When held to the light....nothing at all shines through. There was not much head even after an aggressive pour. I'm assuming it may be because it is from the growler that was a few days old. The small head that did form lasted a very short period and there really was not much lacing as I drank.

S - Since I'm a coffee lover the smell was fantastic. There is not much else to the smell besides coffee, but again it was great to me.

T - Coffee through and through. As an earlier review mentioned, it was like a thick cup of coffee. I almost couldn't tell that it was a beer.

M - It was smooth, creamy, and full but not too full or syrupy. Carbonation just tickled tongue enough - that's what made me remember it was beer not coffee.

D - I cannot begin to explain how much I loved this beer. I could drink it in the morning (which I did since I had a snow day today), or drink at night (which I did immediately after I received it), or drink it all day long (I can only hope I can do that sometime down the road).

As others have mentioned I am a coffee lover too. Just a warning if you are not a coffee lover this beer may not be for you. Overall it is just a well crafted beer.

This is the first offering I had from Pisgah. I can only hope I can get my hands on some more of their stuff, along with more of the Valdez!! Thanks again for spreading the Pisgah love mikesgroove.

dashirey, Feb 22, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours a nice jet black with a decent tan head that diminishes to a lasting thin layer. Aroma is dominated by fresh ground coffee, just a hint of chocolate tries to poke through, but really cannot surpass the coffee at all. The taste is a coffee lovers dream. As others had said in their reviews, it's almost hard to tell that this is beer. The mouth has a great dryness and is very smooth with only a slight alcohol presence. This is an absolutely spectacular beer, another great one from the guys at Pisgah.

atsprings, Mar 19, 2008
4.95/5  rDev +19%

Pisgah is extremely hard to find, even when you live less than an hour from the brewery.

I kept hoping to find a bottle of this somewhere, but ended up finding it on tap at Barley's in Asheville.

Served in a pint glass, this was one nice looking beer. A very dark black color with a dark brown head about two fingers thick. The head lasted for a good while, but the best thing was the lacing. This had perhaps the best lacing I have seen leaving a stained glass-like curtain down the entire glass all the way to the last drop.

The smell was of a very nice roasted coffee (it is brewed with coffee from a local roaster) and sweet chocolate. Maybe a bit of nuttiness in there.

The taste was great, very balanced. You could definitely taste the coffee, but it was not like some other RISs that are brewed with coffee where it tastes like a strong coffee served black. There was not much hops, but that was O.K., since I like more roasted flavors from a stout. The bitterness seemed to come from the coffee and roasted malts. I found it really balanced between sweetness and bitterness, like a coffee with a lot of cream and sugar. The sweetness was not cloying and the bitterness not overpowering. Lot's of chocolate as well.

Mouthfeel was pretty normal for a RIS, I would say better than most.

Drinkability is dangerously high. To quote Beerfest: "I want to brush my teeth with it!". I could have spent my whole day in Asheville just drinking this one beer.

Definitely made up for missing Sexual Chocolate! This has been the best RIS I have ever had.

hitokiri, Feb 15, 2009
4.95/5  rDev +19%

An incredible drink for any coffee enthusiast. Looked gloriously black with a brown head. Smelled strongly of the most delicious coffee. This beer tasted like an iced coffee with alcohol added, amazing, it blew me away. I wish it had just a slightly fuller body but other than that minuscule detail I found this beer to be absolutely amazing and everything I could ever want in a coffee stout

jorrx003, Apr 30, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +19%

C02 Nitrogen mix tap system falling down the glass as the as the beer becomes still with a 2in-2.5in head settles. Aromas of roasted chocolate and fresh brewed coffee the head stayed around .5-1in the whole way down. smooth mouth hints of almost burnt toast with a touch of sweetness like drinking the best cold coffee on the hottest day of summer

cwalexander, Sep 28, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

This bottle is from September 2008. Poured into a MJ tasting glass. Pours a very deep russet brown with garnet highlights near the bottom of the tulip glass. Big, three finger mocha colored head, that drops fairly quickly, leaving a wisp of foam.

Aromas of dark roasted coffee. Some caramel and roasted malts, but the main attraction is the coffee. Coffee also lends a nice roasty bitterness.

Flavors are big, dark roasted coffee, bittersweet cocoa, some roasted graininess. No hop flavor to speak of. This is not just a coffee stout, it's a COFFEE stout. Lingering bitter roasted coffee on the finish, that fades into a nice bittersweet cocoa.

Mouthfeel is big and chewy, not thick and syrupy, but gives a big presence in the mouth, coating everything.

Overall, an excellent coffee stout. Once of the better balanced examples, with lots of flavor.

JamnesCameron, May 10, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

This beer is absolutly outstanding. A nice deep black with a tan head. The smell is like a pot of fresh coffee brewing. The taste is like a gourmet blend from the downtown coffee house. Mouthfeel is smooth and drinkability os wonderfull as well. This beer continues Pisgah's upward swing in NC brewing. The next time I have this brew I may add a litte cream and sugar. Great job Pisgah!!

Enola, Mar 08, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Have to make note here of the bottle from Batch number three that I was able to enjoy a few times already in the last couple of days. THis maybe my all time favorite beer. Just has literally everything you could ask for and more. Rich decadent looking dessert, deep dark chcolate color with a towering head of fine tan. Slight reduction with time still elaves a copious amount of spider like side glass lace and lots of rocky crown.

The aroma is simply wonderful. A drop dead, drag out coffee knockout. Rich notes of sweet coffee are just all over this. It really is the best of both worlds here. Nice touches of sweet molasses in the finish that starts to become bitter and leaves you with more coffee then beer taste as you go through.

Having had the chance now to try this one each time it comes out from various different sources, I am thrilled to see this one go back to the roots. THis is like liquid heaven to me. I would honestly take this over pretty much any other beer I have ever had, and the fact that it is now bottled, just makes it even easier. Kudos to Dave and Jason for this one again, I know they get sick of hearing it from me, but this one is my crack. This is the reason I drink beer.

mikesgroove, Sep 08, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

A-Black with dark brown highlights with a dark tan head. Left decent lacing.

S-ok, this is simple COFFEE! Fresh, ground and brewed quality COFFEE! Can I give a number higher than 5?

T-Ready...this is not a trick question, COFFEE! How can you make a beer that tastes nothing like anything other then COFFEE? No hop bite...and who cares?

M-Full bodied but not heavy. Round. Not quite as creamy as I would have thought...more crisp than I expected.

D-If I told you I drank at least one pint (at least) of these all four days I was in Asheville plus I bought and hauled 4 growlers back to PA with me how could I not give this anything but a 5!

Easily the best straight up coffee brew I have EVER had! Sheer genius by the mad scientists at Pisgah...keep up the FANTASTIC work guys!

Deuane, Feb 28, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

A big, BIG thanks to Deuane for hooking me up with of growler of this on a recent trip down to Asheville.

Pours an inky deep black (just like a cup o' Joe) with a 1/2 finger of creamy burnt mocha (it almost appears red at times) colored head. It retains into a beautiful looking ring with some wisps around the center that left thick swathes of lace as it swirls around in the glass. The aroma is duh, COFFEE! And lots of it! A straight up zippy mix of espresso, coffee grounds, and a little residual sweetness in the background.

The taste is COFFEE, COFFEE, and more COFFEE! It's just lush with roasty notes coffee up front that is balanced out by some sticky chocolate sweetness in the backend. There is also just the slightest amount of bitterness in the finish that lets it end with a nice pop. The mouthfeel has a fantastic smooth and creamy feel to it. Almost like imbibing some caffeinated concoction that you would get at a Star Bucks or Dunkin Donuts. Only better!

Wow, this has to seriously be one of the best Coffee Beers out there. It just tastes so much like drinking a cup, it's ridiculous. I really appreciate the ever so slight but highly effective sweetness character that comes out, balances the dry roasted bitterness, and makes this just a pleasure to drink. I split this growler with a couple of other folks and we agreed that it really is a work of art for what it is. Well done Pisgah!

Kegatron, Mar 02, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

brewed with beans from Dynamite Roasting - also of Black Mountain and definitely worthy of a visit

a: standard pint glass, pitch black with great retention and lace

s: absolutely loaded with vivid, fresh medium-roast coffee aromas, with dark roasted chocolate providing an underpinning, seriously like taking a bag of fresh-ground to the face, but not without the chocolate/burnt sugar body to support, the coffee clearly overpowers the malt while benefiting greatly from the full, rich support it provides, love it

m: body in the lighter side of full, low-medium carbonation, creamy and smooth

t: the high reviews this beer gets are the truth, coffee flavors unlike any other - fresh medium roast free from any harsh side, big chocolate and roasted malt body, moving from smooth chocolate to big char in the finish, rating simply as an impy stout this would be a kick lower since it's so tilted towards pure coffee, but rating as a coffee beer makes for an easy 5

d: a fantastic coffee beer, with one of the better fresh coffee characters I've found

full pint at Barley's, Asheville

blackie, Sep 25, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Before I start, let me tell you that I do love coffee.

Pours near black with ruby edges and a nice tan head that caps it off and remains for a good while, leaving a good ring with light lacing down the glass. Smell is heavenly. The most fresh coffee I've ever smelled in a beer, as if it were just ground. Good and roasted with a grainy scent. Taste might have just one-upped Breakfast Stout. First it's dark, roasted coffee grounds. Very fresh and tasty, exploding on tongue. It seems too intense until a creamy sensation comes to rescue. Some vanilla and light oats with milky chocolate. It's like I was drinking some black coffee and all the sudden the beer knew I liked a little cream and sugar, brilliant! Mouthfeel is pushing full and I'm not sure this is big enough to qualify as a Double/Imperial Stout but it's excellent. Velvety and creamy for the most part with a slight roast bitterness in there. I had three pints from the growler without even thinking twice...that's when I realized that this might be my new favorite coffee stout.

I think this is actually considered an American Stout and if so it would get a perfect score in my book.

ncvbc, Feb 12, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this growler.

64 oz. of goodness poured into a nonic.

Wow, who likes coffee? Pours a midnight black with a huge three finger brown head that stays and stays. Nice webbing left on the sides of the glass. Smell is sweet caramel, espresso, and coffee grinds. Definitely a sweet smelling coffee beer for sure, but by far one of the most enjoyable. This is organic? Taste is actually pretty different from the smell. More of a bitter coffee flavor up front with cocoa and cane sugar. Gets sweeter towards the end with a caramel malt and coffee ice cream sweetness. But really, this is organic? Creamy mouth with the slightest hop sting. Dry in the aftertaste with some smokey notes. Wow, this beer is complex with many different flavor levels. Fortunately I was able to share the wealth with a buddy of mine and he agreed with me on how good this beer really is. Mike, thank you so much for the opportunity to try this beer. I can't believe I have three of their bottles right now just waiting to be enjoyed. This beer is amazing, plain and simple. They really need to bottle this next time around.

BeerTruth, Apr 03, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

First I'd like to thank ncvbc for sending me this growler, I'm gonna have to send you something nice for this one ;o)

Poured into my Surly pint glass.

Slight hiss as I took the cap off, good sign.

Wow! Really intense aroma as soon as I start pouring. I get some of the most freshly roasted coffee aroma I have ever experienced in a coffee stout. There's also quite a bit of cream, sugar and vanilla in the aroma. Wow, look at that, I skipped the description of the beer's appearance and went straight to the aroma...

The Valdez pours a dark roasted color with a good inch of mocha colored foam. The foam retains for about a minute and then settles to a very thin layer. Ok back to the aroma...

A cup of freshly roasted coffee, that's what it smells like. There's also a good dose of toasted malts, chocolate malts, milk chocolate. I'm also picking up some aromas of hazelnut flavored cream. I'm almost afraid to try it and be disappointed of the taste not living up to this wonderful aroma. I could just smell this beer for a few minutes and be pleased with that.

Taste is slightly less intense than the aroma but still very good. Lots of roasted coffee with some toast, nutty malts, cream and finishes with a bit of vanilla. The second sip is slightly more flavorful in the coffee department and now I'm picking up the milk chocolate and some cocoa with just a touch of roasted barley on the finish. After about half a pint I begin to pick up some toffee flavors and more vanilla in the middle.

The mouthfeel is very smooth, semi-creamy, but maybe just a tad thin which seems to come from the low carbonation of this beer. While this beer is lightly carbonated I think it is the perfect amount for this as it does not sting the tongue and passes down smoothly like a cup of coffee with cream.

Drinkability? Well, lets see how I do with this growler, fortunately the beer seems to be only 7%, as stated by a sticker on the growler, but a pint of this drinks extremely easy.

Even though I have some bottled beers from Pisgah, Baptista and Vortex II, this is my first taste of any Pisgah beer and it was great. I cannot wait to try their other offerings.

This beer needs to be bottled!

seaoflament, Feb 27, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

22oz bomber, purchased at Bruisin' Ales (Asheville) poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter

A- Pours a deep brown with a 1/2 inch tan beige head that doesn't stick around long but leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

S- Coffee, coffee, coffee and a little roasted chocolate malt.

T- The strongest coffee tasting beer I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. The coffee flavor is right on the edge of being perfect and overpowering but stays on the side of perfect. The coffee bitterness is more noticeable than any hop bitterness present.

M- Extremely smooth and creamy. Nearly perfect carbonation

D- Not a huge a beer in terms of ABV but the alcohol is very well hidden. It goes down smooth with no burn and the flavors keep you coming back for more.

This was a wonderful example of a coffee stout. The coffee is prominent in this beer and it seems as if you could drink it for breakfast. A great offering from Pisgah Brewing.

GehenHerzog, Jan 26, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Good Morning from Tampa. The Fed Ex guy rang the door bell nice and early on this Saturday morning to deliver a wonderful package from unclejedi. Ah, Pisagh Valdez a brew I have been after since last year. It's morning, it's a coffee stout what the hell. I put one bottle away and threw the other in the fridge for a quick slight drop in temp.

A: Poured into my St Feuillien chalice. The the head towers quickly to over one finger. It is made of millions of tiny creamed espresso bubbles. The drink itself is very black. The name Valdez seems fitting for this one. The retention is nice with a nice solid cap hanging around for quite sometime. Slight lace noted.

S: Talk about a morning pick me up. I have already had my coffee this morning, but let me tell you this one has more aroma than my normal cup of gourmet chocolate infused joe. Tons of nice fresh roasted coffee teems from the glass. Light hints of cream along with a hint of milky chocolate. Make no mistake about it coffee is what this one is all about though.

T: Mmmm, wish I had started my day with this rather than the real thing. Bold fresh roasted chocolate with just a hint of cocoa. I buy some premium chocolate coffee and this tastes better than the real thing. Behind the coffee and chocolate is just a bit of sweet cream, and a touch of darkened brown sugar. Coffee + Chocolate + Cream = Happiness!

M: Light for the style and somewhat thin. This is not necessarily bad though as it allowed me to put down the whole 750 ml myself rather easily.

D: See above. Very tasty and dangerously drinkable.

Wow thanks unclejedi. What a wonderful brew. I am glad I have another to share with the local tasting group.

tpd975, Sep 27, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

what a nice way to start a new year's when you are seriously jet lagged and have some cotton mouth! thanks for the gift Alex it is very kind of you

poured out into my brandy glass (only appropriate glass i could find) and this beer had very little to no head on it at all. yet i loved the appearance it had an oily black look with just a bit of cappucino head trace in it

smelled like an espresso with a dash of maple syrup in it. wow is this going to be a crazy concoction?

way way roasted in the front then coming at you with coffee in the end and some hops to finish it off. just simply delicious and i loved every sip of it

great mouthfeel almost silky but just enough bubbles to keep it from being too sticky.

this got me wired too! glad i had it as i was feeling pretty droopy at the time. :-) happy new year indeed

CapitolCrusher, Jan 01, 2012

brandoman63, Nov 28, 2011

TonyJ815, Nov 26, 2013

BlackBelt5112203, Feb 28, 2013

BradShook, Feb 28, 2014

brendan4532, Jul 29, 2014
Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.