Pisgah Valdez - Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 12-02-2007

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: The beer is close to being black in color—traces of reddish brown are visible near the edges of the glass when it is held up to the light. It poured with a quarter finger high tan head that died down, leaving a collar around the edge of the glass and some small patches of bubbles on the surface.
S: Moderate aromas of freshly ground French roast coffee are present in the nose.
T: Just like the smell, the taste is dominated by flavors of roasted coffee beans and has a light amount of associated bitterness.
M: It feels just about medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer could be considered as an alternative to your daily cup of joe, especially if it is a weekend. It delivers a strong dose of coffee aromas and flavors and is rather easy to drink.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

A dear friend of mine picked up a growler of Valdez while visiting the brewery two weeks ago. She raved about it, and although my curiosity was roused I put it aside until I had time to drink and think. It was well worth it! This may be the best coffee stout I've ever had.

The growler made a dynamic "poof" as I turned the cap. It poured pitch black into my Pisgah pint glass (also provided by my dear friend). The one-finger head was beautiful; it was dark brown and very dense. One deep inhalation picks up aromas of freshly ground coffee beans and dark, dark malts. There's also an extremely mild fruity ester present, but it takes a very deep sniff to detect it. Flavors of espresso attack the tongue with the first mouthful. The aforementioned sweetness is there as well, but it soon dissipates into a nice, mellow dark coffee center. The finish is a bit hoppy, which balances well with the other flavors. What I really appreciate is the decent malt backbone this version of the coffee stout has; I had another local version of this style just a few weeks ago, and, although it was quite nice, there was too much coffee and not enough balancing malts. This is a far cry better. Well done, Pisgah! I hope to drop by and refill my growler soon!

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle shared by the other Matt recently. Thanks other Matt, this was a medium list want of mine.

Beer is black and opaque with a thin tan head that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Head has moderate retention to it.

Aroma is roasty, mildly sweet and uncomplex. Smells like a big stout.

MMMM....sweet stout. Beer is medium in body and fills out the palate nice, coating the mouth with a strong feeling of sweetness with some chocolate flavors and some moderate bitterness at the finish. Coffee and roast are distinctive in the finish. I was surprised how sweet and chocolaty this beer was. A very nice beer overall.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

22oz Bomber Bottled January 09' Consumed January 10'

Appearance: Pours an attractive deep dark brown with a 2 finger light brown crown that shows some retention and lace.

Smell: Chocolate malt, mellowed coffee, roast malt.

Taste: More coffee than chocolate (opposite of nose) and the finish actually tastes like cream! My mind screams "iced coffee" over and over!

Mouthfeel: A touch thick but mighty slick too. Carbonation is ultra fine and comes into play about 2/3 of the way through the swallow.

Drinkability: Easy living!

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Enormous head that is just a shade lighter than brown. Almost completely opaque in color. Really beautiful beer. Smells of fresh coffee and dark chocolate, as well as some vanilla, and maybe even some cherry.

Coffee dominates the taste. Sipping it is like sipping an espresso shot. Some bitterness comes through. The coffee overpowers any chocolate flavors that may try to come through. The aftertaste is sweet and pleasant, though. Full bodied and very thick mouthfeel. Nice to sip, but hard to get through the whole thing.

I haven't tried too many coffee stouts, but this one really stood out to me. Definitely worth a try!

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at the brewery. Deep brown in color, tan head. Smells like and espresso or something. From the smell I was expecting some serious coffee flavor when I tasted it. However, it's not as harsh as I thought it would be. Besides some malty sweetness, maybe a little chocolate, it comes off as a bubbly iced coffee. Little to no hop bitterness, but a good amount of coffee bitterness. I enjoyed this one a good bit. Probably would go well with ice cream or something. Don't really get why it's listed here as a imperial stout, but whatever.

4.11/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Big thanks to mikesgroove for sending me this 750mL bottle in a trade recently.

A: Pours dark black with a TON and I wish I could stress it more...a TON of khaki colored head (seriously looked like a beer float but no ice cream) and laced the glass a lot as it settled.

S: The dominant smell is chocolate, then roasted malts and coffee in the background...not complex or anything, but smells absolutely delicious and I hope the taste is similar

T: Roasted malts come out way more in the taste, then the coffee and chocolate are in the background this time.

M: I think far too much of the carbonation went out in the pour on this because what's left is a little more thin than I would expect. I even poured carefully so I dunno how to fix this. I get hints of creaminess when the carbonation stands out.

D: Because it's a little thin I could probably drink more than some creamy beers, but the flavor isn't really anything special to me unfortunately. Not really any alcohol picked up which is good. It tastes just like the majority of imperial stouts do. Now, that isn't all bad, because imperial stouts taste good, this just doesn't stand out above other examples of the style.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

I've been wanting to try this one for a few years now and finally broke down and acquired a bottle...

Poured into a Chimay goblet...

Pours a 98% black with only a little brown showing around the edges when I hold the goblet up to the light... This brew forms a good head at first but that quickly dies down to leave just a little wispy one.. Not bad at all...

Huge pungent aromas of dark chocolate and dark roasted coffee beans that have been freshly ground... I have a Keurig coffeemaker and there's a brand of coffee that is super dark and rich and when its brewing it smells just like this beer... Very pungent and dark smelling with notes of what might be a little smokiness like a good smoked porter might have...

Loads of very dark roasted malts and coffee beans up front here... It's not hugely complex but I think that this is the sort of beer that doesn't have to be... You know what you're getting when you buy it.. It's a coffee stout first and foremost..

The mouthfeel leaves quite a bit to be desired here... This is basically a coffee porter if judged by the mouthfeel here... It isnt in the same class in this category with the other brews of the style...

Even with the thin mouthfeel, I still liked this one quite a bit... It's very drinkable and tasty and I'm very glad I got to give this one a shot... Would I purchase this one again? Hmmm.. hard to say.. I'd like to try it on tap sometime and do a comparison... The thin mouthfeel here sort of mars this one in my opinion...

4.09/5  rDev -1.4%

Had during an afternoon ticking session at Pisgah! Served from tap into a sampler imperial pint. Poured a massively dark brown (basically black) with a half finger khaki-colored head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt and coffee. The flavor was of sweet malt, coffee, and earth. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. Three words though: HOLY CHRIST COFFEE! In all honesty, I don't drink coffee but if I were to start I would use this as a gateway for sure as I'm sure it would work. I would plan to share this one with coffee drinking friends as a gateway for them into craft beer. Still quite nice, but the coffee most definitely covered up a lot of the subtlies that were probably present in this brew.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Sampling at room temperatrue poured into a snifter. The beer pours a dark cocoa brown with foamy tan head of 3cm even with a gentle pour. Aroma is lite coffee grounds and roasted malt. Some brown sugar mixed in the background. Predominantly a roasty nose. First sip reveals an average body with silky smooth texture and mild rolling carbonation. Flavor is sweet malt and roasty with again brown sugar. A little coffee bite but no hops or ABV show up for this dance. Very easy smooth drinking beer. Aftertaste lingers for a little bit but then is gone, maybe a little chalky on the finish. OVerall a nice beer that isnt amazingly robust but does drink easy and taste good.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to Santa Deuane for this one. Once I struggled to get the cork out of this bottle.
I poured the bottle into a snifter and it produced a two finger coco colored Head that seems to be lasting. The body of course was a big black bomb

The first thing I smelled was coffee and chocolate right from the pour. After a bit I got a little sour yeast but not much

Flavors are Coffee that is about it till it warms. Not as sweet as Oscura, but the mouthfeel reminded me of it. It is a little light in the feel for an Imperial but ample carbonation maybe to much. Back to the flavor a little sweetness from the malts keeps it from being to bitter. Then some dark chocolate comes out as it warms.

A good coffee stout I really think there should be a separate category for these. The number of them seems to be climbing. Good drinkability I finished the bomber with no problems at all. Took my time and enjoyed it on this cloudy afternoon thanks again Santa

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

22oz bomber into a tulip.

A: Impenetrably black. Even holding this to the light, this rejects all temptation to give a hint of color. Small half finger tan head recedes quickly.

S: Big coffee dominates. Some chocolate to the nose as well, with toasty malt.

T: Not as powerful on the coffee as the nose would suggest. Lots of chocolate and toasted malt pour through. Sweet mostly, till a nice coffee layer comes in on the finish.

M: Very smooth till swallow where a light dryness comes in with the coffee flavor. Quite nice combination.

D: A very abundantly flavorful stout at such a small ABV%. Finishing the bomber was not a problem. Really enjoyed this stout, though at $9 for the 22oz it is not something I'd get often.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

Picked up a bottle of this and Vortex II in Asheville when I was there in August.

A - dark, almost pitch black, with a off-white head which leaves a nice rim

S - pure coffee, lots of chocolate, had a Founder's Breakfast Stout the next day and the smell was pretty on par with that

T - coffee, chocolate, a bit of tartness up front that maybe shouldn't be there, but pretty subtle, nice semi-dry bitterness on finish

M - maybe a little bit thinner than I expected, tingles the sides of my tongue a bit

O - a beauty coffee stout. Despite having a little age on it the beer still held up well. I assume it would be even better fresh, but as it is, it's one of the nicer coffee stouts I've had in a while

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to Deuane for hauling this back from NC for me. A 2008 vintage corked 750ml bottle poured into my standard shaker glass. The stout appears a translucent dark chestnut color with an inch of creamy ecru colored foam. The head settles to a thin ring and remains until the glass is empty. Nose and flavor consist of medium roasted coffee beans, slightly sour and acidic espresso, quite earthy, nice molasses and caramel sweetness, bitter black coffee, baking chocolate. Maybe a notch better than medium bodied with adequate carbonation. I would have preferred a fuller body, but it's still pretty nice.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

22oz bottle with no bottled on or freshness date poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/27/11

A: Pours black with dark tan head and moderate retention. The head fades to a collar and leaves some lacing around glass.

S: Smooth freshly roasted coffee up front with dark malt and a hint of chocolate lingering behind the huge coffee aroma. Lots and lots of coffee, if I were to take a blind sniff of this I would definitely think this was a cup of coffee instead of a beer.

T: Bitter roasted coffee dominates the taste with dark malts and some hops and alcohol barely coming through all of the coffee. Long lingering taste of freshly brewed coffee after each sip.

M: Nice medium body with a bit more carbonation than I would really like in a stout.

O: If you want lots of coffee in your stout, this is the beer to go for. Pretty drinkable for a 6.8% ABV brew. Some more body and less carbonation would do wonders for this beer. Still great none the less.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

750 mL bottle tried 23 Jun 2009. Trade from mikesgroove, thanks for the opportunity!

Poured in a 0.4 L Steiner Pils snifter. Thick, tight, medium sized light brown head. Medium carbonation. Beer looks like black ink. Aroma of super dark chocolate, cocoa, espresso, deep dark and roasty. Body is light and effervescent. Coffee and chocolate dance on the tongue like cocoa pop rocks. Lots of roasted malts, chocolate and coffee bitterness throughout. Somewhat sweeter in the finish. Mild ethanol.

Tasty, would have liked just a touch more body to this.

4.06/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to Solomon420 for hooking me up.

Poured a deep, deep brown with a massive tannish head and great carbonation. Nose is chocolate, coffee, grains. Taste is is very similar to most organic brews, with a big earthiness, grain, coffee, chocolate. Mouthfeel is nice and coating but lacking a bit on the coffee department and not that creamy.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

There's nothing quite like an Imperial Stout on a 65 degree day in Carlsbad under a 90 degree heat lamp. It's a strange experience, but I wouldn't recommend it. I felt as though my life's blood was being drained from my body, one ounce at a time. Thankfully I had this Pisgah beer to sustain me or I fear I might not have made it. Thanks a lot to Mike for my first Pisgah beer. To be perfectly honest, I've never traded for a beer from this brewery because the name of the brewery has subconsciously irritated me. I'm happy to finally try it though.

Pours nearly black with a one inch, light brown head. The head has good retention and leaves a smattering of lacing as it recedes.

The aroma is dominated by dark chocolate and coffee with some cocoa. It smells quite nice. A low level of alcohol is noticeable. The taste is much like the aroma, centered on dark chocolate and coffee. Though I'm not an avid fan of coffee dominated stouts, this is quite good. There's a medium level of bitterness to the beer, but the hops have really no say in the rich flavor. No alcohol is noticeable, and considering the low percentage (imperial stout?) it's not surprising.

Full bodied with a nice level of carbonation.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Dark ass pour, mocha head, thick, reduces to disk.

S - Lots of coffee and cocoa.

T - SO MUCH flavor. Hits all the buttons, but maybe a little bit unbalanced and too sweet.

M - Yes, cloying, at least a little.

D - Except for the unbalancing problem, pretty darned good!

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours a mostly opaque black color with a 1/4 inch light brown head that retains well before becoming a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of sheer surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves small clots behind.

S- Big earthy coffee aroma and some likewise earthy yeast. Almost has a Belgian characteristic to it like Chocolatized Vortex

T- Moderately bitter roasted coffee flavor with a bit more of that yeast element coming through. Sweetness is mild as is the alcohol presence. Very drinkable. Once the palate acclimates, the stout side becomes more apparent with the coffee being more of an afterthought. Caramel aftertaste.

M- Not as creamy as I was hoping. Medium carbonation and a full body.

O- I had this about 9 months ago on draft and was blown away by it. Now, it's good, but not really what I remember. I heard there was a slight recipe change before they started canning it to make the ABV lower but I see no separate listing with a different ABV. Oh well, still good stuff.

Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.